• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Okay then, here goes:

- Many of the pokemon felt like rehashes of old pokemon IMO (Beautifly and Butterfree, Feebas was a rarer Magikarp, the cacoon pokemon, Ralts was another powerful psychic that started off weak, Tailow was just another game-starting flying-type, Skitty and Delcatty were like Meowth and Persian, etc.).

The addition of Feebas was made on purpose to ressemble magikarp, as their evolutions are polar oposites, so I wouldn't really call it a rehash. As for the others, it's legitimate I guess, but as its been said, there doesn't have to be one of every species of animal in the games. I find it ok they did that since it gives more of a variety in the pkmn so that ppl can decide which one they like best.

- Speaking of legendaries, have you ever tried to catch the Regis? There's no way that you could do it without any sort of guide, help, or knowing the code of the game. There is no way that by figuring it our on your own that you know to: Find the dive spot in that giant mess of water routes, find the correct spot and return to the surface in a specific location, then dive again, have a Wailord in the rear of your party with a Relicanth in front, to know the location of the Desert Ruins and the Island Cave AND the Ancient Tomb, to know that to get Regirock that you need to go two spaces to the left and down from the braille in the room and use strength, to stand for two minutes in front of the braille in the Island Cave for Regice, and to use fly in the middle of the Ancient Tomb to have a chance to battle Registeel. And then you have to battle each of them and catch them. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to have to download a guide to my computer for catching a couple of pokemon.

- Some of the pokemon were complicated to get in Gen III too. Want an Espeon? You have to trade your FRLG eevee to RSE and level it up in day. Want a Milotic? Go take some berries, make special pokeblocks, feed enough to your super-rare Feebas, then try to evolve it. This was mostly a problem at the time though, it doesn't hamper Gen III games anymore.

I honestly don't mind this at all. I keep hearing people saying that they don't like how complicated and tedious some things are in pokémon, and I don't understand it. I want to work to get my pokémon, I like the new evolution methods and all that. Admittedly though, the Regis were painfully impossible to get on your own, I still find it funny that GameFreak put that in there. So what if you have to look on the internet, it adds a bit of, shall I say, "challenge" to the game. That's my two cents though, lol. Sorry if it seemed rant-ish.

Generation III is my favourite gen! Everything is so charming and the new Pokémon are WAY better than Gen II or IV's... it's so much fun and I can't wrap my brain around why people hate it O_O I didn't think anyone except bad geeks and losers hated Gen III...

Actually, far and wide, by current Pokemon fans and former ones, the best Gen is considered to be Gen II, not Gen III. It's not unanimus, but the majority does prefer Johto over Hoenn

The addition of Feebas was made on purpose to ressemble magikarp, as their evolutions are polar oposites, so I wouldn't really call it a rehash. As for the others, it's legitimate I guess, but as its been said, there doesn't have to be one of every species of animal in the games. I find it ok they did that since it gives more of a variety in the pkmn so that ppl can decide which one they like best.

I could see the difference in Milotic, and I liked that it was consciously designed to be bi-polar to Gyrados. I thought that Feebas was just a rare, ugly Magikarp though. But there are plenty of pokemon that felt like rehashes.

I honestly don't mind this at all. I keep hearing people saying that they don't like how complicated and tedious some things are in pokémon, and I don't understand it. I want to work to get my pokémon, I like the new evolution methods and all that. Admittedly though, the Regis were painfully impossible to get on your own, I still find it funny that GameFreak put that in there. So what if you have to look on the internet, it adds a bit of, shall I say, "challenge" to the game. That's my two cents though, lol. Sorry if it seemed rant-ish.

A little challenge is nice after all. But many of the complicated methods are a little 'elitest' after all. I mean, the majority of people don't go online to find hints and tricks to this stuff. If someone doesn't like a game or has a problem with it, they usually turn the game off and stop playing. I think that it won't be good for Pokemon's success if the methods get even harder and more convoluted.

Actually, far and wide, by current Pokemon fans and former ones, the best Gen is considered to be Gen II, not Gen III. It's not unanimus, but the majority does prefer Johto over Hoenn

I don't think that Zesty Cactus was trying to say that the preffered generation among fans is III (everyone knows that gen II is put up on a pedestal here, lol), but rather that he didn't get what all the hate with gen III was.

@Phoenicks: Yeah, I see what you mean there, but I still don't mind the Regis as much. Plus, what about back in the day, with games like Zelda on the NES, where there were no walkthroughs and the hints were much, much more obscure? Games didn't really stop being played at that point I think, lol.

Mudkip was the only good starter, and in fact, one of the only good things to come out of Gen 3. Swampert made for an awesome competitive battler, until it was raped by Grass Knot. Still though, it can be pretty useful (I pack one on my team). But even then, Swampert's design was AWFUL. It looked like Elmo dunked in blue paint and shoved in a mutation device.

Torchic was cute, I guess. Combusken was fugly - there's no trying to save that thing. And Blaziken was a useless Digimon. There are like a million Pokemon that fulfill its purpose, but better than it does. It had a very limited movepool for being a "Fire/Fighting". And it just wasn't very good.

Treeko looked like a stoner. Grovyle is forgettable. And Sceptile, as much as I actually like it, isn't very good either. Again, very limited movepool, nothing to really work with. Something as awesome as Leaf Blade was kind of wasted on it.

Generation III is my favourite gen! Everything is so charming and the new Pokémon are WAY better than Gen II or IV's... it's so much fun and I can't wrap my brain around why people hate it O_O I didn't think anyone except bad geeks and losers hated Gen III...
And then you remembered that you like it.

Last edited:
@Phoenicks: Yeah, I see what you mean there, but I still don't mind the Regis as much. Plus, what about back in the day, with games like Zelda on the NES, where there were no walkthroughs and the hints were much, much more obscure? Games didn't really stop being played at that point I think, lol.

But there are still those infamous moments where there was no way to realize what you had to do. Remember the *grumblegrumble* Moblin who you had to bring meat to? And the entire Regi thing was way to complicated. Besides, one of the draws of pokemon is playing as your favorite pokemon. There were lots of Gen III moments where it was "Screw you! You only have LeafGreen and want an Umbreon? Too bad!" or "You can't have Totodile in Ruby? Tough luck!" or "No Soup for you!".

I don't think that Zesty Cactus was trying to say that the preffered generation among fans is III (everyone knows that gen II is put up on a pedestal here, lol), but rather that he didn't get what all the hate with gen III was.

Well in that case I'm sorry.

Let the record show that most of the people here haven't said they hate Gen III, they've just said that it's their least favorite Gen.

I think alot of people are forgetting that Gen III is more than just Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. It is also FireRed/LeafGreen and Colosseum/XD Gale of Darkness.

Going by that, Gen III is one of my favorite Generations. I loved the Red/Blue/Green remakes as well as the post apocalyptic atmosphere of Colosseum and XD, but Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald has been my least favorite of the main Pokemon games. That said, I still like them

But there are still those infamous moments where there was no way to realize what you had to do. Remember the *grumblegrumble* Moblin who you had to bring meat to?!

But that's what I meant to say, games back then were much, much harder in terms of not knowing what to do, and I think the Regi trials pale in comparison to that.

The golem trio was a little over the top, but considering how legendaries are treated these days (you are forced to encounter one of the strongest Pokémon ever before even beating the game?! Two of the three of the possible legendaries have a catch rate of 30?!), I think it's good that the elusiveness of such Pokémon is befitting to their legendary status. I just wish there were a few more hints, though subtle ones, that point towards them. Whatever happened to unannounced optional dungeons/optional sections of dungeons?

I hope that by saying this you're not implying that people who like generation III have bad taste...:mad:
Nah. I actually only threw that in there because of some shitty comment like this:

I didn't think anyone except bad geeks and losers hated Gen III...

When in fact, the general distaste for Gen 3 clearly outweighs those who enjoy it.

A little challenge is nice after all. But many of the complicated methods are a little 'elitest' after all. I mean, the majority of people don't go online to find hints and tricks to this stuff. If someone doesn't like a game or has a problem with it, they usually turn the game off and stop playing. I think that it won't be good for Pokemon's success if the methods get even harder and more convoluted.

Seriously? You think that a complicated method for getting a rare makes the pokemon games 'elitest'? Compared to the increasing amount of stupid Nintendo event pokemon calling the regis hard to get is like calling Alaska as hot as the suns surface when it comes to rares. If anything makes a pokemon player elitest its these people that drive to conventions and wait for some gawky gamefreak employee to Mystery gift or Wi-fi them a pokemon with just slightly higher stats.

No non-nintendo event pokemon can actually be called really hard to get but at least the regis tried. If it wasn't for the internet those would maybe be a great feat for elietest gamers to get but seriously, if you own a gameboy advance you or one of your close friends must have access to the internet

if you own a gameboy advance you or one of your close friends must have access to the internet
Erm, no, during the days when I was using my GBA I didn't have access to the internet and even if I did, you're missing the point that a lot of the players wouldn't have known the Regis existed so they could hardly google or them.

And some people do not like using guides for their games.
They prefer doing it themselves.

I know I do. I only check guides if something seems impossible.

Seriously? You think that a complicated method for getting a rare makes the pokemon games 'elitest'? Compared to the increasing amount of stupid Nintendo event pokemon calling the regis hard to get is like calling Alaska as hot as the suns surface when it comes to rares. If anything makes a pokemon player elitest its these people that drive to conventions and wait for some gawky gamefreak employee to Mystery gift or Wi-fi them a pokemon with just slightly higher stats.

I agree with this, no matter how elusive any legendary is in the main game, they never will be as elusive for me than any event pokémon, of which I have NO legitimate access to. That's what I find elitist on GF's part. They only have a few events in the US, the UK, Japan and dispersed a bit around other countries (except where I live, of course), and at least with the addition of Wi-Fi, everyone has a chance now.

I think making Event Pokemon is pointless.
People could just get an AR or Gameshark.

The golem trio was a little over the top, but considering how legendaries are treated these days (you are forced to encounter one of the strongest Pokémon ever before even beating the game?! Two of the three of the possible legendaries have a catch rate of 30?!), I think it's good that the elusiveness of such Pokémon is befitting to their legendary status. I just wish there were a few more hints, though subtle ones, that point towards them. Whatever happened to unannounced optional dungeons/optional sections of dungeons?

still, I think the regi's are the essence of what legendaries should be. A legend, nothing more. Only an old dude in pacifidolog talks about them (altough you don't know that when you first talk to him) and that's it. Unlike others, like the lake trio, who's spirits are seen be almost everyone, and everyone knows that something lives in their lakes.

You don't need a guide to get the Regis. All you need is a Braille alphabet, and something known as "exploration spirit". You know, what most people do in most games: explore every nook and cranny. Every possible tile. Every concealed spot. Compared with other games, Pokémon is easy as pie in this regard. This is a funny extrapolation in many ways. Even if the Regis are, indeed, harder to unveil than every other Legendary Trio ever, you don't need a guide for that purpose. It's not close in any way, shape or form to being a Guide Dang It.

As for the lack of compatibility with Gen 2... three words: Data Allocation Issues. It's as simple as having FF (Gen 1-2) VS FFF (Gen 3 and on) for hexadecimal allocation. It's not just a simple issue. Gen 3 completely changed the way internal data processing of Pokémon works. Gender and Shiny-ness wasn't determined by Individual Values anymore. Individual Values themselves doubled from 16 to 32 in each Stat. A new bit known as Personality Value, which determined Nature and a couple other things on certain Pokémon (Wurmple's evolution path and Spinda's spots) was added. You can't just make a bridge between two completely different data formats. This is not a computer. It's Software with set-in-stone specifications. Yes, it could be possible to make a certain pheriperial that'd allow such bridge between Gen 2 and 3 to exist, but it wasn't desirable in terms of income. For one, it'd take a considerable deal of research and development, and would ultimately only work for one of Nintendo's series. Plus, the other alternative was much more beneficial in terms of money: distribute the unavailable Pokémon in new games. As opposed to make a bridge device, make several new games and have the old Pokémon in them. Yes, even 2 more games besides the pair Versions would earn them much more money than a single device that'd be only bought once and finish the Generation much sooner than wanted, most likely. No matter how expensive it'd be (And I doubt it'd be so critically expensive to offset the earnings of new games). Not to mention the possibility of remaking the original games and expand on them... the choice was clear. Not to mention, even if the bridge was created, fully trained Pokémon would've been forbidden from transfer anyway, due to the way the Effort Value system worked in Gen 3. If any, it would've allowed Eggs and untrained Pokémon, not anything you trained at its fullest. There could be a way, but that'd make the device even more complicated and even less of a benefit for the company.

And by the way, a new beginning doesn't equals a Ret Con. The order of Pokémon in the Pokédex and Pokémon's Stats are things integral to the series and its life over the years, not to mention the Pokémon themselves. It'll never be changed, whether you like it or not. Why do you think cries of Pokémon from Gen 1, 2 and 3 stay the same even now, when much more advanced sounds are used? Why do you think we have complex Evolution methods for old Pokémon that have a new evolved form, every time, as oppossed to just make them evolve with what already exists and disregarding all continuity issues? By the way, I dislike the latter too, but it's how it is, and I've learned to live with it.

I don't like Gen 3 at all. I only just bought Emerald, but I can't get any of the events on it, like Deoxys, as the tickets aren't distributed any more.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom