• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do some people think oras is the worst remake?

Was oras really that bad?

• Oras sucks

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Oras was OK/good

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters
most people don´t give a shit about any of the Battle Frontier Facilities in Emerald/HGSS other than the Battle Tower and the Battle Factory.
It's a good thing that HGSS included a Battle Factory, then.

And if we're being blunt, then most people don't care about triple or rotation battles, either.

Except it is...
Remind me how again?

That´s subjective to each player.
And how many people do you think care about the Battle Court? They use it to grind and nothing more, and in that department Blissey battles are superior (which was also possible in HGSS' Trainer House).

Pokewalker is not a part of HGSS. It is a separate device that has connectivity to HGSS...
So? It was bundled with the games and could only be used with them.

And walking Pokemon is not really a game or a minigame, but whatever. If we are going to play that game, then HGSS doesn´t have Soaring either.
And ORAS lack the Wi-Fi Plaza, which did have minigames.

You mean like the HGSS Battle Frontier is borrowed by Platinum?
As I noted. But you're giving ORAS credit for borrowing something from XY when most people would have preferred the Battle Frontier instead, if only for the Battle Tower and Factory.

I don't really like these petty fights about features, but you always get into them.

It's a good thing that HGSS included a Battle Factory, then.

And if we're being blunt, then most people don't care about triple or rotation battles, either.
Which is why I am counting the amount of features, because "caring about a feature" is subjective to every player. Whether the feature is there in case someone wants to use it, isn´t subjective.
Remind me how again?
Because in order to reach Master Rank you need to follow many rules and variables other than just winning?
And how many people do you think care about the Battle Court? They use it to grind and nothing more.
Which is why I never use the "care about/don´t care" excuse when comparing features. I just count everything that a game objectively offers, and leave to each player to decide if they like a feature or not. Care about/ not care about... is not for me or you to decide. It is subjective...
So? It was bundled with the games and could only be used with them.
Still, it is not part of HGSS: the game. It is part of HGSS: the bundle.
And ORAS lack the Wi-Fi Plaza, which did have minigames.
I didn´t count online/multiplayer features. ORAS has the PSS and the Battle Spot, and I didn´t count it either.
As I noted. But you're giving ORAS for borrowing something from XY when most people would have preferred the Battle Frontier instead, if only for the Battle Tower and Factory.
You are speaking in the name of 13 million players, You could very well be incorrect.
I don't really like these petty fights about features, but you always get into them.
And yet you are the one that started this "petty fight about features" with me, despite my original post not being directed towards you, or anybody else... xDDD
(and by the way... my original post was about how both ORAS and HGSS have great features and both have a lot of game content overall, I wasn´t saying that ORAS had more)

Last edited:
For my part, I'm torn on the issue of HGSS vs. ORAS. ORAS are, for the most part, more in line with my ideal that remakes be "remakes" pretty much only in name, and behind that veneer, they should smash up the originals completely and just keep what worked, while modernizing everywhere else. But I have to admit that I admire HGSS's attempt to be utterly stuffed full of things to do. I don't love everything about HGSS, but the number of options available, from big stuff down to little quality of life things, is just staggering. And it's not as though I can't understand the appeal of a more faithful remake - it's just not my preference.

Last edited:
I actually loved and still love the whole Battle Frontier. It was such a sadd sight to see the boring Maison instead of the Frontier in ORAS.

Guys let's not argue battle facility's because oras is borrowed from XY and hgss is borrowed from platnuim.

You know I completely forgot about walking Pokemon but it wasn't a feature that I liked to much after the first two gym badges plus the bigger Pokemon following me was kinda jarring at times. Personally I think only smaller Pokemon should have been able to follow you.

Guys let's not argue battle facility's because oras is borrowed from XY and hgss is borrowed from platnuim.

You know I completely forgot about walking Pokemon but it wasn't a feature that I liked to much after the first two gym badges plus the bigger Pokemon following me was kinda jarring at times. Personally I think only smaller Pokemon should have been able to follow you.
more importantly, you should be able to Turn. It. Off. Having a Pokemon following you as an obligatory thing wasn´t a smart idea. (even thouh I mostly like the feature)...

Last edited:
I don't consider ORAS to be the worst remake, and there are some changes I do like out of those games, but I will also admit that some of the design decisions and omissions from the game were disappointing to me. The lack of certain features from a game I loved as a kid and some other changes that I was looking forward to also not being present did hamper my enjoyment of the games, and it does make me knock them down a few spots as a result.

I don't mind walking Pokémon, but it's not a big deal to me whether it's there or not.

Favourite thing from HG/SS: Pokemon that follow you. I kept wishing it'd come back and when what's-her-face Gym Leader from X/Y shows up with two Lucario constantly following her around I think I literally shook my DS being like "Why does she get Pokemon following her and I dooooooon't aaaaahhhhhhhh"

Favourite thing from ORAS: Being able to catch all the legendaries (because I am a hoarder)

As for the Delta Episode fly in space nonsense I remember that the only thing I could think at the time was "... what, he can breathe in space now?! What is he, Batman?"

As for the Delta Episode fly in space nonsense I remember that the only thing I could think at the time was "... what, he can breathe in space now?! What is he, Batman?"
Hehe, nice Shortpacked! reference! (I'm pretty sure they were breathing with the Aqua/Magma suit, though, which does have an oxygen tank)

It's the lack of content. I think a lot of people were expecting more content out of ORAS than there was, I know I sure was. If ORAS had the Battle Frontier, a proper post game, and maybe a few more extras (or a Hoenn Dex that was enhanced with more than just a handful of cross gen evos), then not only would it not be the worst, but it could be seen as the best remake so far. As is though? Probably not the worst (FRLG is arguably the worst), but definitely a disappointment.

Maybe because the other two remakes were so great. I mean FRLG was the first ever idea of a remake, re creating the first Pokemon games with incredibly improved graphics, additional content without changing the storyline, and were incredibly nostalgic for a number of people. HGSS was just (in my opinion) the best games of all time with their mix of nostalgia, great story/gameplay, loads of content, etc. I'm really not sure that I would rank ORAS as the "worst" remake, because I also really enjoyed these, but I will say that it did not reach the bar that HGSS set with all the additional content. This is partially because RS already had a lot more content than GS and Emerald added a ton more content than Crystal, which can lead to some disappointment. Also, being the third remake, it was almost more "expected" than exciting.

Still a great game, but maybe just didn't reach the incredible level the first two remakes reached.

a proper post game
Hopefully people will not be forever citing GS as the poster child for this, otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure almost every game every Gen.

I haven't gotten all that far into ORAS, myself ... but as someone who did not pick up RS back in the day and played Emerald instead, I can agree that the one biggest disappoint in ORAS is how it ignored everything that made Emerald the definitive version of Hoenn.

Can't really argue with HGSS being good, but just because HGSS had Crystal stuff doesn't mean ORAS needed to have Emerald or suffer from lack of sales. Which it didn't (again, ORAS is the highest selling remake). Of course it would have been definitely a huge plus if they had added Emerald content to ORAS, but judging by the NPCs GF programmed in the Maison and the Battle Tree... I'm pretty sure they would have made a horribly bad hax Battle Frontier that everyone complains about, with people getting their teams wiped out with NPCs that have 100% accuracy in Sheer Cold (which someone actually experienced - getting wiped out by a Walrein with Sheer Cold and Fissure that somehow had better accuracy than Aerial Ace). But who knows. Maybe they'll come back with a better Battle Frontier in DP remakes (and we'll witness them not including stuff from Platinum).

ORAS has its flaws, yes, but just because there's no Emerald in it doesn't make it the worst.

Hopefully people will not be forever citing GS as the poster child for this, otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure almost every game every Gen.

I haven't gotten all that far into ORAS, myself ... but as someone who did not pick up RS back in the day and played Emerald instead, I can agree that the one biggest disappoint in ORAS is how it ignored everything that made Emerald the definitive version of Hoenn.

Depends what people are citing from GS. I'm not expecting them to include an entire region, no, but having an area to explore as big as the Sevii Islands/Battle Zone/East Unova/BW2's post game areas plus a few post game activities should be about reasonable. ORAS just has a handful of tiny islands and a generic battle facility and that's it.

I don´t want to repeat myself, as I already explained in a previous post why ORAS is absolutely on par with HGSS (and Emerald) in terms of how much content the game has.

I will just say that, for someone to even remotely think ORAS is content lacking, said person must believe that the Battle Frontier is the only content that "counts".
And as much as I am a huge fan of the Battle Frontier concept, in the end of the day it is just 5
copies of the Battle Tower (with little to set them apart from the original Tower). The only one that is different enough is the Pyramid, but it is so enraging that of course GF woudn´t want to bring it back in a modern-day game like ORAS.

Last edited:
I thought ORAS was pretty so-so. "Here's all the legends!" isn't appealing to me personally; I'm not a collector and I don't use them in-game. Throwing them all in their with no real lore or story devalues them further.

I think my main problem is that the main selling point of megas is just a copied feature from XY with the primals and Mega Rayquaza being especially ludicrous and flat out boring. Having more megas was a nice thing, but I think ORAS really should have gotten its own unique thing to stand out better. Soaring to me is novel at best when Fly exists.

I found it quiet blase especially compared to FRLG. I don't have to worry about lore and legends and megas. Just a simple game with the great fun that is Sevii Islands. So yeah I think considering that there are 3 remakes, I would put ORAS as last.

I thought ORAS was pretty so-so. "Here's all the legends!" isn't appealing to me personally; I'm not a collector and I don't use them in-game. Throwing them all in their with no real lore or story devalues them further.
Agreed. I can see why they included them (to remove dependence on Bank), but if you have the older games or just don't care about collecting legendaries, Soaring is hardly an interesting feature.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom