• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you name your kid after a Pokemon?

You know, after looking at shittacular names that people do end up with in real-life, a lot of the Pokémon seem downright tame by comparison.
Huh, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Case in point, Nevaeh really IS a quite... unfortunate name.

I'd rather see even Arceus as a name instead.

Actually my parents wanted to name me after a book/comic/cartoon characther, so ehh...

Wow. Which one?

'Dunsparce' sounds realistic yet incredibly goofy - good name for a Harry Potter character.

I'd hate to be called 'Nosepass'.

What do you mean? Other kids laughs at you? Don't let it bother you, Infernape! They don't understand.

So no, I would not.

I don't know... maybe for a middle name... Marill sounds kind of nice, but I don't like Marill...

I would make the middle name Deino. Its not that bad being named after a cartoon character, I know from experience.

No. Because then you become a lolcow like the chick around here who named her kid Sephiroth.

Of course, I'm either naming my daughter Sarah, Amy or Infernape.
Absurd! What in heaven's name would move you to name a daughter Amy?

Anyway, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, and Pidgeot would all make decent names. (I'm serious.) The first could be a nickname or a middle name, and the others--well, Pidgeot is best as a middle name. A kid named Pidgeotto could also go by the name "Otto," generally.

You could probably get away with respelling Regis as Regice and keeping the pronunciation.

But as for me, my children will be named after the rotom appliances. The first born shall be Toastertom, followed by Tumblertom, Fantom (phantom), Frotom, Rotree, and then finally the original Rotom! Hey, I thought they were slightly clever names.

I don't know... maybe for a middle name... Marill sounds kind of nice, but I don't like Marill...
I would make the middle name Deino. Its not that bad being named after a cartoon character, I know from experience.
You could probably get away with respelling Regis as Regice and keeping the pronunciation.

But as for me, my children will be named after the rotom appliances. The first born shall be Toastertom, followed by Tumblertom, Fantom (phantom), Frotom, Rotree, and then finally the original Rotom! Hey, I thought they were slightly clever names.
All good suggestions, as far as they were intended to be serious. Meryl and Regis are common enough names, and Deno is a name as well. (If you're typing in Google, you'll get better results typing in "Deeno.")

I know someone who goes by "Dino", so Deino could work... I also like Roselia, or Starlie. would be interesting girl names. Maybe middle names though. Or you don't have to use the exact pokemon name. How about Millie, for Miltank? You could tell your hypothetical daughter the origins of the name and they can decide whether tor reveal that tidbit. Has anyone thought of something a little bit less awkward though? like human names? Good potential ones- Ash, Brock, Misty, May, Tracey, Dawn, etc .

@AshKYou might've been the first to mention Starly. I think that a child could be named that with the original spelling though.

("Millie" hardly amounts to being a shortening, abbreviation, or alteration for "Miltank" though, even if it's intended as such / even if "Miltank" was the principle inspiration. Regardless, I don't know why one would name a child after a rather un-noteworthy cow pokemon!)

I'm going to name my daughter Victini.

And really. I think it's a bad idea to name kids after pokemon.

Rosie Leah (roselia)
Aaron (Aron)
Draco Knight (dragonite)
Lili Gant (lilligant)
Belle Asum (bellosom)
Cliff A (cleffa)
Luke Rio (lucario)
Star Apter (staraptor)
R.C.S (arceus)
Diana (nicknamed Di) Alga (dialga)
Jerry A. Chi (jirachi)
Vicki Teni (Victini)
Kyle Green (Kyogre)
Lyra N (lairron)
Maggie Might (magnemite)
Zach O.S. (zapdos)
Arty Cuno (articuno)

Okay, sorry.That's really fun, actually. But no. I wouldn't do it. It would just be weird.

Eevee actually does sound like a legitimate name (or like a legitimate nickname).
I actually know a girl named Eevee. Not sure about the exact spelling, though...

Wanna name your unborn child after a Pokemon? Here's a suggestion:
DON'T.

Unless it's rather corrupted, like Mia (Mew), Pat(rat), Holden (Ho-Oh), etc. That last one's kind of a stretch, but it still works, I think.

Personally, I don't think it'd be that bad to name a child after a Pokemon. Obviously, a good portion of the names wouldn't work (I would never name a kid Bulbasaur or Magikarp, for example), but there are several that have been pointed out that honestly would make nice names, even without altering the spelling/pronuciation.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom