• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you name your kid after a Pokemon?

I'm taking it one step further. I'm totally naming my kid Wooper Thunderstone.

It's got a nice ring to it.

Kirlia could pass.
Altaria seems reasonable.
I think Cresselia would be really nice, no kidding.
Roselia, that could work too.

But no others. Seriously, I feel bad for the kid with the name Facebook. That's depressing.

As for Pokemon humans?

Ash. Seems like a true possibility. Girl or boy, really.

99.99% of the characters have names that work.

99.99% of the pokémon have names that don't work. Altaria, Aron and Eevee work just fine.

But hey, if people like Rainbow Aleksi Dash and Kim Fluttershy Dykas exist, why not Eevee Milotic [last name]?

My partner and I agonised for ages on what to name our daughter, we eventually settled on Evelyn, and we shortened it to Evey for a nickname, then realised... Eevee! We didn't name her after it but it's a neat coincidence, and she loves it:banana:

99.99% of the pokémon have names that don't work. Altaria, Aron and Eevee work just fine.
3 out of 493 equals .01%?

Eh, I think many more names could work than those 3. (The mathematical criticism on my part is lighthearted.) Something like 'Charmander' wouldn't be that bad a human name (the 'ander' in Alexander and the similar part in the name 'Andrew' all have a meaning relating to "man" ['Andrew' means 'strong man' I'm pretty sure], as andro/anthro [android, anthropomorphic, etc.] come from Greek), being not too far from 'Lysander' or anything; and I'd even go so far as to call something like 'Pidgey' thinkable (as it isn't unthinkable).

There are quite a few names that aren't all that Farfetch'd.

i plan to not have children... but i always thought it would be cute to use my grandma's middle name, eveline, as my daughter's name and nickname her eevee ^///^

How about Onix? I think its a nice name for a girl. Its a bit like naming your daughter Amber or Ruby, or a son Jasper. Besides, they can just tell people they were named after the stone if they are embarrassed about being named after a Pokemon

Other names I think are suitable (or I just like the sound of them): Mew, Kyurem, Xatu, Ralts, Riolu, Lucario, Shaymin, Munna

I'd probably never name my kid after a Pokemon. I'll probably end up adopting a kid from Eastern Europe instead of making one, and I think I'll change his (if it is a he) middle name to Sirlingson. I made it up myself. It's derived from the Danish "saerling son" meaning "oddball's son" or "son of an oddball". You can guess why.

But no, I don't plan on naming my kid after a Pokemon. His middle name will be Sirlingson.

Buneary or Liligant for a girl? ^_^

Squirtle for a boy?

XD;

*i need to think harder into this...*

You know... honestly, Kirlia wouldn't be a bad name. Neither would Shaymin. Or Meloetta. Or Keldeo. Those could easily be shortened to Lia, Shay, Mel, or Kel. :/ If they weren't associated with Pokemon, they wouldn't be considered weird at all.

Last edited:
It depends. If I did, I'd probably name them after one that sounds like a real name, like Riolu (Goes by Riley) or something. But that would come after Zephraim Cochrain and Maximum Danger.

Braviary for a boy. Sounds a lot better yes? :)

He's a pokemon of freedom anyways and it actually sounds cool^^

Liligant for a girl. Bellossom is cute too (lol powerpuffs xD).

You know, after looking at shittacular names that people do end up with in real-life, a lot of the Pokémon seem downright tame by comparison.

I mean, Louisiana Lightning vs. Eevee. No contest, Eevee by a long shot.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom