• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

well i had gotten ruby (my first pokemon game) and i got to the first cave with the annoying pink blobs. I couldnt get past the rocks, so my brother told me that if i trained my torchic to level 68 it would learn rock smash. FML

Back when I was playing my first pokemon game (Red), it took me a while to figure out I could save the game. I just kept turning it off and playing from the beginning a few times

I did that with Pokémon Snap back in 1999. I kept wondering why I couldn't go anywhere other than the Beach level.

well, I got stuck in Violet City for several weeks because I did not read that I had to find Prof. Oak's aide and get the Togepi egg. :-/

SILPH CO!! I was in that place for months, i keep going around in circles in regards to the teleportation thing.

and also: i thought all those rumours about mew and stuff was true. spent a while trying to get the truck to move.

and safari zone only had 500 steps and i'd ALWAYS use up my steps before i got to the guy that gave you HM04

stupidest thing I did was training a level 20 wartortle to a level 65 blastoise in digletts tunnel to defeat lt surge. ultimate irony is i caught about 10 dugtrio because I thought they were cool

I don't know if this could be for other games, and i know the forum says gens 1 to 3, but for me it was when i found out Pahiriu didn't evolve into Buizel 0.o

In pokemon Ruby, I thought Tropius could evolve! I trained it until level 50, then I realized it was too big to evolve, like Snorlax. Also, I never met the Regis, cuz I wasted Dig on Swampert, that learned later Earthquake, and I said "Wow, attack power 100, bye Dig!" ahhh such good memories :B

The very first time I played any Pokémon game, It took me WEEKS to figure out that the "tree" blocking the road (Sudowoodo) would react to the Squirtbottle. While I was breaking my head to discover it, my Lv20 Quilava reached lv25...30...35...evolved to Typhlosion...lv40... 50... 55. Yeah, before the fourth gym I had an E4-level Pokémon just because I was too dumb to go forward. Also...
The rival said that his name was '???' in the original GSC. Thus, that's what I told the officer in Elm's lab. Two years later, I find out that the officer is how you name him. Awesome.
... I did the same on that game. lol

Also, I was another noob who believed that myth of Mew and the truck.

Last edited:
In Red, i could not find professor oak! i talked to blue/gary for an hour, till i went to see what was north of the town!

In Gold, i got lost pretty much everywhere! ilex forest, morty's gym, tin tower, victory road, fuchsia city gym( took me a week walking into walls to find my way in) it was so sad, my friends got me my first pokemon strategy guide just so i could stop asking them for help.

And i still cannot figure out the whole breeding thing, i just capture them if i want a new one...

For some reason, I couldn't find my way out of Rock Tunnel. I spent weeks trying to find my way to the outside.

Hoenn has a safari zone. I just found this out yesterday.

...I've had Emerald since it was released.

Where to find Bagon in R/S/E. I had the guidebook and everything and I never even bothered to look up Bagon's location in it for about a year after getting Ruby several years ago. x-x

How to get into Saffron... I kept trying all entrances, I thought it was a pattern, as in north south east north east... Also, the ghost that didn't let me get into the top floor of the tower, I kept ramming it for days... There was a glitch where if you encounter a normal ghost and you go to change pokemon but view your charizard's stats, then it will become a cubone sprite or something, and I tried to catch it, so many of them... also in GSC, I didn't know about roaming pokemon, and I stayed in one route trying to encounter Entei again...

This seems to have been really difficult to figure out if you're new to Pokemon (and even if you play through a good dozen of games non-competitively) but IVs. I really didn't know Pokemon had these different sets of numbers applied to them thus making them varied. I also should have figured out EVs as well. I knew that vitamins raised specific stats, but I didn't know how. All I knew is that they went "up" and that was good. This leads to the 100 EV limit that vitamins had; did not know that at all before!

Ground isn't super-effective against ground? Wut. (I thought that for like...years. Seriously. x.o)

The Porygon line is Normal, not Psychic? Sudowoodo is pure Rock, not Rock/Grass? Dunsparce is Normal, not Water?

And the biggest shocker of all...TATE'S A GUY?
That really made me go, "wait, what".

I thought dual-types were introduced in Gen 2 until last year, when I found out they were indeed present in Gen 1. As a seven-year-old, I just did not understand R/B at all.

I have 3 words: Gen one caves. The were the hardest thing in the game. Also I thoughgt you could only catch the legendary birds with a masterball and never wenr in cruealan cave. Cavephobia and very little internet acces was a bitch. But i never fell for mew truck (Mostly becase I could not find it)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom