• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone here know a second language?

What languages do you know?

• None, only English

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • I know more than one language asides from English

Votes: 65 67.7%
  • I'm in the process of learning another language

Votes: 35 36.5%

• Total voters
Currently working on a grade A for French so I guess I can call that my second language.

And English is first if it wasnt obvious :)

I grew up learning both Mandarin Chinese and English. Although I speak Mandarin fluently, I have difficulty reading and writing Chinese characters, regrettably.

And I did take Spanish classes in high school, but I don't remember much of it.

I can really only speak English fluently, but I know a lot of Spanish and can speak it (badly) and am learning Japanese.

My native language is brazilian portuguese, so yeah. I'm also having spanish classes in middle school, a first for me, so I guess I'll know 3 different languages soon, which is kinda cool.

Native speaker of Japanese, and my English is more a 1.25th-1.5th language than 2nd.

Being ethnic Han, I speak Chinese as my first language. But being born in Canada, I also consider English as one of my first languages, and speak it fluently. My essay skills are dodo though. Also speak French, because y'all know that French is our second language. Don't speak it fluently, but I would consider myself as being moderately proficient at it. Now I'm in a French program, so three of my eight courses are in French. I would be considered a 'French Fry', and people who only take the core french course would be considered an 'English Muffin' lol

I was born in the Netherlands and grew up speaking both Dutch and English.
I also studied Japanese but I have no one to speak it with unfortunately. =(

Holy crap! Just about everybody in this thread collects languages like baseball cards!

Us Americans are much different. This country is so huge that we don't really have a need to learn any language other than American English. I have a relative from Hungary who now lives in Austria and speaks Hungarian, German, English, some Swedish, and a bit of Russian she remembers from grade school in the Eastern Bloc. Every time she slips into a conversation with her son in either German or Hungarian (they flip-flop between the two), I feel like a feeble-minded American, and during one of her visits many years ago she inspired me to pick up another language. You'd think I would settle on Spanish because that's what Americans are taught in school and when you live on the outer fringe of the country like I do you even run into communities that are entirely Spanish-speaking, but for some reason my edgy rebellious streak settled me on French. It's been on-and-off ever since then, but now I can definitely say that I can read French at least at a pre-school level... so that's something. Right? I'm smart like everyone else here, right???

My native language is Portuguese and my second is English. Portunhol comes third. XD~

Also, it's not too difficult to read Italian, I guess that's one of the perks of speaking a Romance language.

I'm fluent in English. I'm taking classes for Spanish, and I know pig latin, if that counts.

English isnt my mother language. I im portuguese speaker, undertand spanish and french, though im not exactly fluent in tha last ones.

My first language is Dutch, and my second is English. I speak a little bit of German and French, though I really suck at French :< Other than that I'm a born Frisian (from the Dutch province of Friesland), but I can only understand a little bit of it and don't speak it.

Well, my main language is Vietnamese and second language is english. I'm try learn serbia too, but it seem really hard.

languages

My parent both from Chinese heritage and they use Teochew as mother language.
My parents too.

I was raised speaking Teochew Chinese, but I understand more than I can speak it. English would be considered my native language as I was born and raised in America.

Took three years of Spanish in high school. I'm rusty in my Spanish. Had 4-5 years of Chinese school; barely learned Mandarin Chinese from that since the teacher taught in Cantonese Chinese that I can't really understand and the teacher wasn't fluent in English. I feel like watching dramas helped with my Mandarin Chinese vocabulary. Took a semester of French last fall and it was easy for me because I knew Spanish and English has a lot of French words.

This spring, I took a semester of Japanese and I was like so surprised to find that there's Mandarin Chinese cognates in Japanese. Japanese class helped me learn how to read hours in Chinese since they're written the same way.
Taking Japanese made me want to learn how to read more kanji (Chinese characters) as it would be a win-win situation for me as I'd be learning how to read more Chinese.

Since I understand some Spanish and French, I understand some words in Romance languages.

I know some words and phrases in Korean (because of K-Pop, dramas and some Chinese cognates; thanks to Mintaka, I have a better understanding of hangul xD), Khmer (my relatives speak it), Dutch (due to English cognates and I did some lessons in Duolingo and I sometimes listen to Dutch songs), and Cantonese Chinese (there's cognates I know and I can count up to 99).

Native language is English. In high school I took a few years of Latin so I can understand basic conversations in it. I also know a LITTLE Vietnamese since the community is so large where I live but its mostly food related words.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom