• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash Vs Cynthia

Levels are mentioned in the anime. However, they don't function the same way.

Level
Look at the "In the Anime" section.
Yes they are mentioned in the anime, thanks for telling me something I've read a long time ago. I however read nowhere that says Ash's Pikachu restarts it's levels which you've also claimed is true. :3 by now you should know levels don't have anything to do with the anime itself.

By the time Ash reaches Cynthia (which will happen) he will have Pikachu, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, most likely Garchomp and probably Floatzel.

Not only will we see Ash VS. Cynthia, it'll be a damn good fight too. This could be Ash's best team ever.

If Ash gets that team would put money on him winning. But I don't think Ash will even reach Cynthia. Just think, if Ash faces Cynthia and wins, what else is there for Ash to achieve? He is basically a Pokemon master if he wins, so wouldn't the writers have to finish his story? The way Ash loses matches to people he should be destroying makes me think that we still have awhile before Ash is ready to face someone like Cynthia.

Also, why do the wrtiers always reset Pikachu's level at the beginning of each region? Pikachu should be destroying any type of Pokemon with the experience it has. Why not keep the anime realistic?

I also would like to say to Scott that you need to take off the nostalgia goggles. Infernape is Ash's fire type and is more than capable of handling Garchomp. So you, and everyone else, stop living in the past, saying all those winners who have come and gone will return for no reason out of the blue and then disappear again.

QFT
Not to mention that as far as we saw by now, Chari and Squirt can't be sent to Ash but instead they come all the way by themselves
And so far Ash only called them when he was in Kanto or Johto
Logic says that means Chari and Squirt can only come to help Ash when he's in Kanto/Johto and not in other regions

he couldn't defeat the guy the first time, so he brought his most trusted Pokemon together, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard,

It's more like the writers had to advertise FRLG + 10th anniversary, so they brought the mascots and most symbolic Poké of these two things
This time they only need to advertise gens 2 and 4

Anyway, I believe Ash will use his Sinnoh team only against Cynthia
His team is getting too awesome for them to throw them away for other Poké
Also, we don't know anything about the Elite Four challenge - what if Ash is forced to use a certain team for all the E4 members and Cynthia?
Cynthia will probably have her DP team: Garchomp, Gastrodon, Milotic, Lucario, Spiritomb and Roserade

Each of these has a perfect "rival" on Ash's current team:
- Garchomp/Gible: Gible, either as a Gible or as Gabite/Garchomp (whatever it'd be by then) is a good rival to Garchomp and we know the writers like evolution VS pre evolution
- Gastrodon/Torterra: type
- Milotic/Buizel: Pika killed enough Milotic by now, a water VS water can be nice
- Lucario/Infernape: fighting VS fighting + Chimchar lost to Maylene's Lucario, so it'd be nice to see it beat a Lucario now, even if it's not the same one
- Spiritomb/Pikachu: I liked the short Pika/Spiritomb battle in that ep, why not see it again in a serious real battle?
- Roserade/Staraptor: type (not to mention as a Staravia it was cheated out of beating Gardenia's main Poké, so we'd see what should've been there and even better since now it's fully evolved and knows more impressive attacks)

So yeah, even with my Johto love and the writers' need to advertise HGSS, I hope at least VS Cynthia (don't care about the rest of E4) he'll use only his Sinnoh team

I just realized once again just how awesome Ash's current team is
I love DP <3

In my honest opinion i dont think Ash has any chance to beat even E4,not to mention champion like Cynthia.

In past everytime he battled elite trainer like Lorelai,Drake or Agatha he didnt stood a chance against them losing miserably,so i cant see him having better luck this time around.Sure Ash has improved with time becoming more skilled,having nice team in DP but still elite trainers are much more experienced in battling area,aswell as their pokemon.

However if he were to challenge Cynthia,i think that he could definitely use help from Charizard who is one of his strongest pokemon.Going by all that training at Charisific Valley,hes been going through and knowleadge of powerful attacks like seismic toss,steelwing or overheat he could represent worthy opponent.Others like Infernape,Torterra,Snorlax etc and of course Pikachu would also be of big help.

Than again Cynthias Garchomp has been showned as extremely strong pokemon mopping floor with all of Pauls pokemon,so in end even with his strongest team in Ashs case realistically speaking chances arent on his side.

Nevertheless let just hypothetically say that somekind of miracle happens and Ash wins that would basically mean how he is just as strong as best trainers in pokemon world.
Of course if he were to beat E4 that wouldnt mean achievement of his goal,seeing how they are often reffered as single type masters,while Ash wants to become master of all.But Cynthia is a whole another game,and incase of winning people can say goodbye to pokemon series.

At best after that,there would be some mini saga to wrap up Ashs journey but expecting that show continues like nothing happened after beating arguably the strongest trainer in world(the only one on pair with her is Lance),is ridiculous.

The reason Ash's older Pokemon will be used is because they need to finally get screentime.

Didn't we say the reason Bulba/Squirtle/Charizard, Sceptile/Swellow, and maybe Heracross/Kingler were excluded from the Sinnoh league is because they're saving them for the Elite 4 matches?

While I'm sure his Sinnoh team will be used to, I truly believe the Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon will make a big comeback for the Elite 4. We'll likely see Glalie used again too.

Well one of the reasons why Ash has lost to elite 4 so far is because of overconfidence and because he only seems to use Pikachu against them. Against Prima, Ash was still very young and that was a long time ago. Against Drake he was overconfident, plus the types didnt match up that well. Against Agatha, he actually used his brain and put up a very good fight before losing. I do think if he uses his very best pokemon, he has a good shot at the elite four.

Last edited:
well i meant the first half of the battle lol, i completely forgot its been a while since i saw that episode. But the third time he battled against an elite four, u could see an improvement.

and how r some of u guys predicting that Gible will evolve into Garchomp or Buizel will evolve. So far we've seen no evidence what so ever for this.

Last edited:
Yes they are mentioned in the anime, thanks for telling me something I've read a long time ago. I however read nowhere that says Ash's Pikachu restarts it's levels which you've also claimed is true. :3 by now you should know levels don't have anything to do with the anime itself.

Does it say Pikachu's level is restarted at the end of every region? No. Watch the last few episodes of a series, and the beginning few of the next one. You'll see Pikachu go from Uber to about weak. They can't keep him super strong, or Ash would just blow through all the gyms and the show wouldn't be exciting. Or maybe all of the wild Pokemon in Hoenn and Sinnoh are just naturally level 100, but I highly doubt it. I shouldn't really have to post the episode links, as anyone who has seen more than one series, should have noticed this.

:drowsy: Do levels play a crucial role? No. Not at all. Do levels play a role? Yes, but a small one. It about the same as type effectiveness. It all depends on the writers.

well i meant the first half of the battle lol, i completely forgot its been a while since i saw that episode. But the third time he battled against an elite four, u could see an improvement.

and how r some of u guys predicting that Gible will evolve into Garchomp or Buizel will evolve. So far we've seen no evidence what so ever for this.

There isn't any proof the Ash will battle Cynthia either. This is all just hypothetical.

But Cynthia is a whole another game,and incase of winning people can say goodbye to pokemon series.

At best after that,there would be some mini saga to wrap up Ashs journey but expecting that show continues like nothing happened after beating arguably the strongest trainer in world(the only one on pair with her is Lance),is ridiculous.

If only, if only we could be that lucky :party:

All those older Elite 4 fights were so long ago, even the most recent one against Agatha, Ash put up a better fight until the end.

Ash can definitely take on the Sinnoh Elite 4 even if he loses to Cynthia. If Ash was still as bad a trainer as he was in Kanto/Johto, he'd get his ass kicked against the Sinnoh Elite 4.

But now, not so much.

I don't know if he'll face the E4, better yet Cynthia. But if it does happen I wouldn't be against it.

As for what Pokemon he would use...now unless your a writer that's pretty subjective. Pikachu will no doubt be in it, everyone else is pretty much up in the air. Some want Infernape, some want Charizard, some want Sceptile/Torterra, some want Bulbasaur, some want Swellow, some want Staraptor, some want Glalie, some want Snorlax, some want Squirtle, some want Totodile evo/Buizel. I don't think 2 times is a pattern for anything, otherwise Dawn's name would start with M, Turtwig wouldn't have evolved at all, and Ash wouldn't have Gible.

Any speculation is either "what we think is likely" or "what we want to happen". So besides Pikachu, its all pretty much what the current writers feel like doing.

I don't think 2 times is a pattern for anything, otherwise Dawn's name would start with M, Turtwig wouldn't have evolved at all, and Ash wouldn't have Gible.

Well, tell me a human name starts with M that is related to light. And no, since LoT writers stopped to give animé characters different names than their game counterparts.

The reason Ash's older Pokemon will be used is because they need to finally get screentime.

Didn't we say the reason Bulba/Squirtle/Charizard, Sceptile/Swellow, and maybe Heracross/Kingler were excluded from the Sinnoh league is because they're saving them for the Elite 4 matches?

While I'm sure his Sinnoh team will be used to, I truly believe the Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon will make a big comeback for the Elite 4. We'll likely see Glalie used again too.

I don't think there were a lot of people here that said his Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon were being saved for these supposed Elite Four matches other than you. Most of the Pokemon you mentioned already had plenty of screentime, especially the Kanto starters, Sceptile and Swellow. Heracross and Kingler haven't had a lot of screentime, but since two of Ash's rivals have a Heracross, it wouldn't make sense to use his own. Besides, I don't see the point in replacing Infernape with Charizard, especially when Ash has been training Chimchar for so long. Considering how much Chimchar has grown since Ash caught it, replacing it with another fully evolved fire type would feel kind of mean.

I still don't see an Elite Four challenge, let alone getting to Cynthia, but I wouldn't complain about it if it actually happened. If it does, I don't see a valid reason to replace one fire starter, who I think has had the most development out of all of Ash's Sinnoh Pokemon, with one who has already had plenty of screentime.

I agree, that's why the Johto pokemon are coming back ! Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Donphan, Swellow had plenty of screentime in the Battle frontier

No, that was pretty much just you

While I'm sure his Sinnoh team will be used to, I truly believe the Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon will make a big comeback for the Elite 4. We'll likely see Glalie used again too

HeartGold and SoulSilver promotion says hi Scott... They had plenty of screentime and feature in the last battle frontier... and Corphish, Torkoal and Glalie are coming back from the league according to the OP...

The writers aren't gonna give Ash one of his strongest team and then just have him turn around to this team and say : "Sorry guys, you did well and all, but I'm totally bringing back my old pokemon cause they're better than you losers..." Throughout his (possible) fights against the elite four, he'll probably bring back one or two of the Johto starters to his team full time and keep at least two Sinnoh pokemons plus pikachu And when he'd fight each Elite 4, he'll use all of his pokemon at least once... but the feature would still be on his Johto and Sinnoh pokemon... For example, Bulbasaur would be a bad choice against Aaron, Flint and Lucian... so ash will probably only use it against Bertha, bulbasaur will defeat one of Bertha's pokemon and lose to another one and that's all we'll see of Bulbasaur... Same with Squirtle, Charizard, Kingler, Swellow, etc.

There's a differance between appearance and focus. Appearrance is appearing in a battle, and all of Ash's pokemon will probably make an appearance during the filler saga... but they won't be getting the focus, which is beiing the star of the battle and really being the differance in Ash beating the other trainer... that'll probably be Ash's Sinnoh and Johto pokemon.

Last edited:
HeartGold and SoulSilver promotion says hi Scott... They had plenty of screentime and feature in the last battle frontier... and Corphish, Torkoal and Glalie are coming back from the league according to the OP...

The idea is to feature the Johto Pokemon closer to HGSS release, which is the Sinnoh league, but I'm sure Ash's Kanto/Hoenn pokemon will be used after that. This entire generation won't go by without Ash bringing back his most popular fan-favorite Pokemon at some point.

The Johto Pokemon were originally ignored for like 8 years, (all of AG, all of DP until the league), but an 8 year gap for popular Pokemon like his Kanto/Hoenn teams won't happen.

The idea is to feature the Johto Pokemon closer to HGSS release, which is the Sinnoh league, but I'm sure Ash's Kanto/Hoenn pokemon will be used after that. This entire generation won't go by without Ash bringing back his most popular fan-favorite Pokemon at some point.

The Johto Pokemon were originally ignored for like 8 years, (all of AG, all of DP until the league), but an 8 year gap for popular Pokemon like his Kanto/Hoenn teams won't happen.

Johto hatred isn't an argument Scott... If you actually read my original post, I said that Ash in the filler saga will probably use most if not all of his pokemon... that means that the Kanto and Hoenn pokemon would appear too, but since they aren't promoting anything right now and they've hogged all of the spotlight in the last filler saga, they wouldn't be the focus of th filler saga this time and that role would be filled by the Johto and Sinnoh pokemon...

And for the last time, as numerous people have already pointed out to you, all of the starters (including the Johto ones) were popular and a lot of poeple liked the Johto starters as much if not more than the original Kanto starters... Just cause you didn't like them, doesn't mean the entire pokemon audience felt the same...

And for the last time, as numerous people have already pointed out to you, all of the starters (including the Johto ones) were popular and a lot of poeple liked the Johto starters as much if not more than the original Kanto starters... Just cause you didn't like them, doesn't mean the entire pokemon audience felt the same...

The Johto starters game-wise is popular, but I remember the anime ones taking a lot of flak for coming after Ash's Kanto team.

Cyndaquil had no hope of reaching Charizard's level of popularity, especially given how incredibly popular Charizard was back in 1999/2000/2001, Squirtle was always vastly preferred to Totodile, and while some people liked Bayleef, Bulbasaur lasted 3/4ths through Johto because of its popularity. Noctowl would have been decent if it wasn't handled so poorly.

Realistically, I always assumed the reason the Johto starters weren't given any goodbye sequence during the last eps of Johto is because the writers felt we didn't care about them. Bulba/Squirtle/Charizard all got individual goodbye episodes in Johto, the Hoenn Pokemon got a goodbye in the last Battle Frontier episode, meanwhile the Johto starters/Noctowl were dumped off-screen and we didn't get any goodbye for them at all. Then all 4 years of AG go by and they're not even used. Then 3 years of DP go by and the only indication they'll be used is a brief appearance in the league.

I also don't understand what Cynda can do compared to Infernape, etc. They're bound to be kicked around alot in the league.

I also don't understand what Cynda can do compared to Infernape, etc. They're bound to be kicked around alot in the league.

I didn't know you could see the future. You know what happens when you assume.

Sceptile could run circles around Bulbasaur...yet it was brought back for Brandon instead. Bringing back Pokemon just to prove some backward ass point to some western fans is retarded, and you know it.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom