• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Best Team

Nintendo Theatre

Tauros Returns!
Reaction score
With Ash's journey to the Battle Pyramid beginning, there will no doubt be a lot of training scenarios and switching out of Pokemon, but my question is this. If Ash was to take a team of six with him, which would be the best to take. Here's my opinion on his six strongest and the ones he should take:

1. Pikachu - Duh, he has to, its his all-around best and his mascot. 100%.

2. Bayleef - Other than Heracross, Bayleef was Ash's main powerhouse throughout the travels in Johto and is yet to make a return.

3. Charizard - Plain and Simple, Charizard has always been a beast and NEEDS to be on his Battle Pyramid Team. Sure he was used in the factory ep. but come on...

4. Muk - Hasn't been used since Johto Championships and dominates whenever he is around. Plus he's a Poison and Ash doesn't have one with him...

5. Sceptile - The powerhouse of the battle Frontier and is becoming the next Charizard in terms of power. It would absolutely crazy if he wasn't to return.

6. Glalie - The suprise choice. Knocked out an amazing number of powerful opponents (Charizard, Sceptile, Metang, etc.) and has been Oaked all season. Bring him back for some more ice-blasting whoopings.

Ash's Squirtle, Tauros, and Donphan would all work for me too.

A team without Snorlax? For shame.

This has become exceedingly difficult with the amount of strong Pokemon Ash keeps receiving. So, for the sake of my brain, I'll just list out the Pokemon I think are his strongest from all 3 regions (any combination of 6 from these Pokemon would practically work).

Kanto:
- Pikachu
- Squirtle
- Bulbasaur
- Charizard
- Pidgeot
- Muk
- Tauros
- Kingler
- Snorlax

Johto:
- Heracross
- Bayleef
- Donphan

Hoenn:
- Sceptile
- Swellow
- Corphish
- Glalie

But, if you forced me at gunpoint, against my will, to choose what I thought would be the best combination, this is what I might conceivably list:

Charizard
Snorlax
Sceptile
Glalie
Heracross
Pikachu

Pikachu
Sceptile
Charizard
Snorlax
Swellow
Glalie

I think this'd be an interesting debate thread. It has the potential to, at least. The topic's just as the title states. Assemble Ash's best team, using his Pokemon from any region.

Remember that while Hoenn was full of Powerhouse Pokemon, Kanto contains his most experienced. Remember too that in the show, evolution or a Pokemon's base stats don't tend to matter. Bulbasaur and Squirtle for example, are worth much more than their base stages. Pikachu has the most experience of them all. Sceptile was proven to be incredibly quick and powerful, living up to high standards. Snorlax was a heavyweight Pokemon. Donphan as well.

Really, there's no guideline. It's all based on your opinion and thoughts. You can go for all-around, same type, whatever. Discuss.

I'll post my team for him later.

Charizard
Pikachu
Sceptile
Swellow(may change my mind if we get a staraptor)
Squirtle(unless buizel or corphish ever evolved)
Snoralax

^That's my team that follows Ash's pikachu+bird+plus elemental trio+random 6th pokemon system.

My personal favorite

Charizard
Sceptile
Glalie
Heracross
Snoralax
squirtle/tauros...can't decide...most likely squirtle.

Pikachu
Sceptile
Charizard
Snorlax
Squirtle or Buizel
Swellow/Glalie/Heracross/Donphan

That 6th slot is a wild card, it could go to any one of them.

I do think Snorlax has proven itself to be one of Ash's best.

Oh, I forgot to mention that this could include Pokemon he's given up or away. I don't mean to Professor Oak or the reoccuring ones like Bulbasaur or Squirtle, those two are a given. But I mean Pidgeot, Lapras, Primape, Butterfree, etc... They're all completely valid to use as well.

I actually wish there were some way we could see Bulbasaur vs Sceptile. Sceptile is clearly a beast of a Pokemon, but Bulbasaur has proven himself against tier 1 and stage 3 evolutions, with high level wins. I think that's actually the most interesting contension in terms of "slots", considering they're both grass.

Oh, I forgot to mention that this could include Pokemon he's given up or away. I don't mean to Professor Oak or the reoccuring ones like Bulbasaur or Squirtle, those two are a given. But I mean Pidgeot, Lapras, Primape, Butterfree, etc... They're all completely valid to use as well.

I actually wish there were some way we could see Bulbasaur vs Sceptile. Sceptile is clearly a beast of a Pokemon, but Bulbasaur has proven himself against tier 1 and stage 3 evolutions, with high level wins. I think that's actually the most interesting contension in terms of "slots", considering they're both grass.

When bulbasaur is pitted against a legendary and holds his own, or beats it, then I'll say he's better than Sceptile. To me, Sceptile was played out to be the Charizard of Hoenn(without the disobedience). He had the best battles, and went against pokemon to strong for even Pikachu. Sceptile also held his own against a couple legendaries...something I have not seen bulbasaur do(not to say he couldn't). That's all I need to see for bulbasaur to be the best.

isnt this the same thread that i posed with the name ashes pokemon?

mine would be
charizard
pikachu
snorlax or donphan
bulbisaar or sceptile
squirtle
staravia

the only reason i chose staravia over swellow is because it knows brave bird but i might pick swelllow because of the more expereince

Pikachu (He beat Regice, and has the best chemistry with Ash)
Charizard (He's the most powerful Pokemon Ash's had and he's training in the mountains to become even stronger)
Sceptile (His Hoenn and BF Powerhouse)
Buizel (His main battle Pokemon in Sinnoh, and he beat Pikachu)
Donphan (Sturdy and quite a powerhouse)
Pigeot (Needs a flying type, I like Pigeot)

Pikachu, Sceptile and Charizard are all obvious really. I'd also add Donphan, Snorlax and Swellow. If Buizel evolves, I'd drop Donphan. If Staravia evolves, I'd drop Swellow.

When bulbasaur is pitted against a legendary and holds his own, or beats it, then I'll say he's better than Sceptile. To me, Sceptile was played out to be the Charizard of Hoenn(without the disobedience). He had the best battles, and went against pokemon to strong for even Pikachu. Sceptile also held his own against a couple legendaries...something I have not seen bulbasaur do(not to say he couldn't). That's all I need to see for bulbasaur to be the best.

Yeah, but in the same way that Sceptile did that for Pikachu, Bulbasaur took out the Dusclops of Brandon that Charizard could barely touch, and proceeded to tie even with Solrock. Unfortunately fighting a legendary is something they won't have him do though, for the fact that he is indeed a base Pokemon. That's where, as you said, Sceptile has shown himself able to hold his own.

Charizard and Pikachu are both a given though. And I'd actually put Pidgeot above Swellow, then again, Staravia does know Brave Bird and is likely to evolve into Staraptor. I'm thinking maybe:

Pikachu (ect)
Charizard (fire/fly)
Snorlax (nrm)
Sceptile/Bulbasaur (grs/[psn])
Buizel or Floatzel if it evolves (wtr)
And the sixth spot really is a wild card. I'm thinking up the possibilities of:
Donphan, Lapras, or a bird.

Yeah, but in the same way that Sceptile did that for Pikachu, Bulbasaur took out the Dusclops of Brandon that Charizard could barely touch, and proceeded to tie even with Solrock. Unfortunately fighting a legendary is something they won't have him do though, for the fact that he is indeed a base Pokemon. That's where, as you said, Sceptile has shown himself able to hold his own.

Charizard and Pikachu are both a given though. And I'd actually put Pidgeot above Swellow, then again, Staravia does know Brave Bird and is likely to evolve into Staraptor. I'm thinking maybe:

Pikachu (ect)
Charizard (fire/fly)
Snorlax (nrm)
Sceptile/Bulbasaur (grs/[psn])
Buizel or Floatzel if it evolves (wtr)
And the sixth spot really is a wild card. I'm thinking up the possibilities of:
Donphan, Lapras, or a bird.

That thing with dusclops was merely to keep charizard from being the powerhouse again who defeats another legendary(even though he should have been the one to bring down regice).

Since you already have a water you don't need lapras(buizel could always end up learning some ice moves). Why add a bird if you already have charizard? Just my attempt to help you narrow it down.

Pikachu
Charizard
Sceptile

All easy ones.

Buizel fills the Water gap, especially if it evolves.

For flying it's Swellow for now, but if Staravia evolves, I'd go with Staraptor.

Donphan as the last Pokémon, if only to have some Johto representation. (edit: Just realized, Heracross would fit this bill pretty well, too)

Last edited:
That thing with dusclops was merely to keep charizard from being the powerhouse again who defeats another legendary(even though he should have been the one to bring down regice).

Since you already have a water you don't need lapras(buizel could always end up learning some ice moves). Why add a bird if you already have charizard? Just my attempt to help you narrow it down.
You can't just chalk it up to that though. Sure, if we're talking non-anime reasons then okay, but even then, none of his other Pokemon did it. And that's like saying Charizard only fell to Blaziken so Harrison could advance, or Sceptile only held his own against a Legendary so that Ash could actually STAND UP to one in an otherwise impossible situation. Charizard was only pitted against Blastoise so we can see the epic battle between the two hyped Kanto Pokemon, with Charizard only winning because he belonged to Ash. Pikachu was only switched out against Floatzel so that Buizel could battle his evolution. Pikachu was only used against Raichu to prove it's worth against an evolved form.

I mean if we're gonna play it that way, any battle could be chalked up to a purpose of advancing the show in a desired way. And in this particular case, what would it even matter if Charizard is a powerhouse when Brandon had the legendary Regice in line?

The anime fact at hand is, Bulbasaur took down Dusclops, which put Charizard back in his Pokeball. He then had the strength to go even with Solrock to make things tied up. In Johto he proved himself against Jackson's Meganium and *shiny* Magneton. I don't see why suddenly we're using out-of-anime reasons behind it when there was no question as to how Sceptile could go even with a legendary.
----

Anyway, I didn't type this, but if I were to throw in Lapras in particular, of course I'd take out the water in there. I can't say the same for Pidgeot and Charizard though, but a flyer like Staraptor (assuming it evolves) offers his own uses that Charizard can't do. In Lapras' case, it knows ice beam. And there are a lot of Pokemon hindered by that.

Anyway, Donphan would be a good choice as a back up. I don't fancy Heracross so definitely not that.

You can't just chalk it up to that though. Sure, if we're talking non-anime reasons then okay, but even then, none of his other Pokemon did it. And that's like saying Charizard only fell to Blaziken so Harrison could advance, or Sceptile only held his own against a Legendary so that Ash could actually STAND UP to one in an otherwise impossible situation. Charizard was only pitted against Blastoise so we can see the epic battle between the two hyped Kanto Pokemon, with Charizard only winning because he belonged to Ash. Pikachu was only switched out against Floatzel so that Buizel could battle his evolution. Pikachu was only used against Raichu to prove it's worth against an evolved form.

I mean if we're gonna play it that way, any battle could be chalked up to a purpose of advancing the show in a desired way. And in this particular case, what would it even matter if Charizard is a powerhouse when Brandon had the legendary Regice in line?

The anime fact at hand is, Bulbasaur took down Dusclops, which put Charizard back in his Pokeball. He then had the strength to go even with Solrock to make things tied up. In Johto he proved himself against Jackson's Meganium and *shiny* Magneton. I don't see why suddenly we're using out-of-anime reasons behind it when there was no question as to how Sceptile could go even with a legendary.
----

Anyway, I didn't type this, but if I were to throw in Lapras in particular, of course I'd take out the water in there. I can't say the same for Pidgeot and Charizard though, but a flyer like Staraptor (assuming it evolves) offers his own uses that Charizard can't do. In Lapras' case, it knows ice beam. And there are a lot of Pokemon hindered by that.

Anyway, Donphan would be a good choice as a back up. I don't fancy Heracross so definitely not that.

Those other instances are much different than the battle with Charizard and Dusclops though. I mean...Charizard beats an Articuno...and because Ash "forgets" physical attacks don't work against ghost types it loses then bulbasaur wins. I'm not saying bulbasaur is any less of a pokemon(one of Ash's best)...I'm just saying there's a difference.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom