• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle styles?

What's your preferred battle style?

• Offensive- Attack them before they attack you!

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Defensive- Make sure they can't attack you!

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Mixture- Not heavily towards one side or the other...

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It really depends on the pokemon you use. A powerhouse like Tyranitar is bound to have some good attack moves, but should always have a stat booster to help it along. And it's not likely that a Wobbufett is gonna pull out a hyper beam. So when you think about it that way, everyone's a mixed battler.

It really depends on the pokemon you use. A powerhouse like Tyranitar is bound to have some good attack moves, but should always have a stat booster to help it along. And it's not likely that a Wobbufett is gonna pull out a hyper beam. So when you think about it that way, everyone's a mixed battler.
Not nessecerily; you're assumed that everyone uses different types of Pokémon, where as some people ONLY use Sweepers on their teams....

Yes, but even so, most sweepers have one low stat that can be raised with a move like agility. And even if they don't have a weak stat, then they can use swords dance or recover or another defensive move to make their sweeper a bigger power than he ever might have been without the move.

Some sweepers can't afford to do so, namely Medicham and Dugtrio. Does using them still make me mixed?

Yeah, assuming that you have a baton passer, which would benefit your team greatly by boosting its stats, then giving them to the pokemon that needs them the most. If your pokemon can't afford a stat booster, a baton passer is always a good idea. If you don't have one, then chances are you have a sweeper somewhere that either has a stat booster, or you have boosted their stats to the point where they don't need them any more, which is hard to do, as is choosing the right stat to boost.

I'm, for the most part, defensive. I loving using Taunt and Torment, and most of my Pokemon are either tanks or sponges...that is, they either have high defenses and high either attack or special attack, or they just have ludicrously high defenses and lots of status moves. My Pokemon choices are mostly all slow, hence why I offset that with moves like Fake Out. For attacking moves, I like to have Ghost and Fighting in a moveset, for example my Substitute/Focus Punch/Shadow Punch/Curse or Poison Jab or Explosion Muk(haven't decided on the fourth move yet) or my Fake Out/Recover/Brick Break/Shadow Claw Sableye. The only non-defensers I've used and really like are Medicham and Absol. As for types, I try to avoid elementals other than Water, and stick to things like Ghost, Dark, and Fighting that have few weaknesses, so I don't have to counter as many things. And yes, I know Muk is weak to Earthquake, and I don't care. :p

I use a mixture of offense and defence, but I generally use offensive strategies. It really depends on the situation. I have high powered speedy pkmn to finish the job quickly, huge pkmn to take down walls, and my own walls to comfortably switch in and protect my other pkmn.

My battle style is a new age fusion of hip hop and jazz. I use the smooth rhythms to lull my opponents into a false sense of security before the funky beats take them down.

I'm an offensive strategist. Screw Tail Whip and Protect. Strike 'em hard and fast with type advantage. Simple as that. >D

lol@tailwhip

I like use prediction against people who are incredibly obvious and forgets the switch option, or if I'm against a good strategist, I do the stupidest thing ever and hope it works (it does 50% of the time)

My style shifts from playing around with setting up entry hazards and subseeding if I know I will win. If I feel the tables have turned, I bring out my trump card, and when things look really bad, I go into overly defensive mode not taking the funny risks I normally would

I normally base my team off of Sp. Attack and Attack. Also Speed. A lot of my team have higher Sp. Attack though...With the execption of my Umbreon <3

I always battle with a lot of offense before thinking on the defensive, For example, I don't switch when my oppenent uses Leech Seed or Yawn. In my opinion, since it's about to faint, I at least want it to faint with honor and a big bang, so I keep it in. Of course, that's pretty much the reason why I don't like rating teams on the RMT section of pokémon forums. I'm not too skilled at judging stall and defensive teams.

i use manly speed to help me out with ko the opeent before they can hit me. i do use double battle team combos, i like being able to hit hard and fast. i do have deffence stargeys as i have alot of tank pokemon and some walls, i ahve soime stat inflickting strages as well, so i say i use a well banlence staragy

Confuse the foe and poison them while they are leech seeded. THEN continually lower their stats untill they can't be lowered more, then blast away at them. Then, rest. Repeat!

The best defense is a good offense. That being said, my style is to hit 'em fast and hard with Super Effective moves, and not worry about things like status unless they happen to be side effects of the moves I want to use. I don't worry about setup a whole lot, and when I do, they must ALWAYS have at least one move that causes damage. I also avoid recoil moves and items that only limit me to one move like the plague.

I think my style tends to be a mix of the two, though leaning more towards defensive. I tend to try to put my opponents in a position where they can't attack for a few turns, such as putting them to sleep. Then I start throwing the attacks on 'em! :D

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom