• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW034: Dangoro! Let's Fire the Luster Cannon!!

re: BW 034 (037) "Dangoro! Let's Fire the Luster Cannon!!" Review Thread

EDIT: Wow, it really does seem I'm hating on the Rockets but I can assure you I'm not. They've always been in my top three character list, and that's why I'm so critical of them. </3 I want them to be at their best. /clarification
*angelic choir* ALL OF MY LOVE, THIS.

We just want the best for them <3

Excadrill was totally epic in its sceen! I mean, look at him! He is totally pumped to help them out!

ikkenavngivet47.png

My goodness this episode was such a chore to get through. As I watched the episode the only thing running through my head was "why?" Instead of having Satoshi capture Dangoro and having the TRio be nothing but a waste of an episode, they should have just gave this episode to Pokabu and had him either learn a new move or get some self-esteem, because this episode seriously seemed so pointless. There was nothing interesting enough in this episode to make me even like it a little bit. Not even TRio could save this episode and I love them to death. Mijumaru, ugh he just had a whole damn episode to himself and finally mastered Aqua Jet yet he gets one shotted by a table. I swear, the writers are just whoring Mijumaru out because they can. I want Satoshi to box that damn otter now. Advertisement purposes be damned. It has more than enough personality for half his team, (and that's just fucking sad) which is all the more reason why he should send it to Araragi and let some of the rest of his team get spotlight.

Last edited:

Excadrill was totally epic in its sceen! I mean, look at him! He is totally pumped to help them out!

ikkenavngivet47.png

That was one of my favorite part about the episode and that was Excadrill being amazing when he came out of his Pokeball and ready for action. It would have been nice to see him take down Team Rocket.

"Dangoro!! Let's Fire the Luster Cannon!!"

Dangoro. Dango, Dango, Dango you are awesome, your concern for your friends, your energetic jumpy personality, and your strongness and funny antics and going so far as to wreck Dento's meal(It's Unbelievable Time!). I wonder if there trying to make stuff happening to Dento's food a running gag or something. They said you would be boring because you had no face, pssssssssssssh! Your fun on a bun. Your the bee's knees. You remind me of Toph a lot.

Is Mijumaru getting his ass handed to him every time he acts confident suppose to be a running gag? I suppose this chalks up another lose for him in the Win-Lose Thread

Sad thing is Dangoro didn't even launch an attack, since when does Aqua Jet knock out the user too? That's Volt Tackle.

I liked the way this episode let Pokabu star a little bit, it reminded me of some of the old Hoenn episodes where the Pokemon who would be the one to take on Team Rocket and save the episode would be shown at the beginning of the episode sort of foreshadowing, like Torkoal coming out to cry over Spoink's pearl then learning Body Slam in the later part of the episode and defeating Team Rocket. Iris getting rowdy over Satoshi beating Dangoro funny. Hopefully we'll get more episodes like this one where Satoshi uses different Pokemon, since Mijumaru is being used too much for my taste. Freaking love Dangoro's attacks, Sandstorm-Break Dancing would make for a perfect shield against Fire Attacks and Electric Attacks! Would have preferred a different move over Stone Edge though.

Liked how Iris and Dento got to show off a bit in this episode. Iris's holding of Doryuuzu's ball was like Dento's. But, that Monster Ball release and Doryuuzu coming out to help was freaking crazy! Just loved the animation for that scene and those effects! Hopefully, people will stop complaining about Iris not doing enough now that she has a useful Pokemon. Some of the lesser seen Pokemon for Dento, Iris, and Satoshi got to do something.

Dammit Koromori learn something besides Gust.

Pokabu needs to hurry up and learn Incinerate already. I don't wanna see him learn Flamethrower. It's cool to see Ember and Tackle so strong, Pokabu really is awesome. Pikachu's Elecball this episode proves once more that is really is just a awesome attack. I was kinda hoping Team Rocket would be sent blasting off this episode because that Multi-Luster Cannon converging with Elecball was too freaking awesome to not send TR blasting off just like Kibago's Lizardon Dragon Rage. Pikachu and Pokabu are just the cutest Rabbit eared Pokemon are always awesome. Seeing Pokabu's Tackle work hard to beat Dangoro's was great. IMO an attacks what you make it, I don't find Ember and Tackle to be that boring at all, but Pokabu defiantly needs a new move to fills that fourth slot, Roll-Out maybe or maybe Incinerate.

Always cool to see him catch a new Pokemon with something other then Pikachu. That awesome Getto Daze Phrase and spin with Pikachu's trademarked "Pika-Pika" and Pokabu was too great.

Last edited:

Now that I've mulled a bit about how Roggenrola could develop as a character. I remembered that Ash is great at using Pokémon that have a high speed, but not so great at using Pokémon that rely more on their defenses rather then their speed. (This is most evident with Infernape and Torterra).

The Gigalith family is known for having a wonderful attack and defense stats (And Sturdy as an ability), but terrible speed. So will Ash be able to overcome that weakness and be able to train this newly acquired Pokémon to it's full potential?

My 2 cents by Muk-a-matic
Yay, Rock-type!
Yay, real evil in a episode!
Yay, Excadrill's Zoloft regiment is permanent!
Boo, Boring Serious Rockets!
Boo, COTD!
Boo, borderline Pre-Unova accumulated skills, memory, and knowledge retcon!
Boo, No Stealth Rock for Roggenrola(WHY Tackle, writers? Either give it Stealth Rock or give Dwebble their rare-to-Unova move? (Unless Ash catches a Pawniard and it knows the move!))!
Whaa? Aqua Jet fail?
Whaa? Roggenrola uses Sandstorm when it's Hammer Time?
Whaa? I'm not shutting up? Sorry.

Now that I've mulled a bit about how Roggenrola could develop as a character. I remembered that Ash is great at using Pokémon that have a high speed, but not so great at using Pokémon that rely more on their defenses rather then their speed. (This is most evident with Infernape and Torterra).

The Gigalith family is known for having a wonderful attack and defense stats (And Sturdy as an ability), but terrible speed. So will Ash be able to overcome that weakness and be able to train this newly acquired Pokémon to it's full potential?
He's done it in the past as seen by how well snorlax battles, so I have faith that if roggenrola evolve all the way he will be able to use its power well.

I really wish it didn't know tackle, I don't really mind the move that much but its the fourth member of Ash's unova team that knows it so its very redundant.

I thought Team Rocket was going to "blast off" until they pulled their jetpacks last minute and rather "shooted off" again.

It's nice that Ash has a Rock-type, but he's been catching enough Pokemon as it is--and just two episode prior to this one at that. I really hope the writers can somehow balance all of Ash's Pokemon's screentime but that could prove tough.

I personally don't have a problem with Ash capturing so many pokemon (I think about 10 or so would be a good amount), but it bothers me how quickly he's capturing them. Like, they should have waited at least 10 episodes between Palpitoad's capture ep and this ep, and actually showed Palpitoad doing something before capturing Roggenrola.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f505/how-do-you-feel-about-ash-capturing-so-many-pokemon-110346/

We have a thread for the direction in which Satoshi's team is heading. Please use that thread if you are talking about his team as a whole. This thread is meant for the events that occured in BW37.

Final warning guys. Next time someone posts on that tangent it will be a Wrong/Banned Topic Infraction.

I wasn't overly wild about this one, though it was nice to at least see Tepig get some focus.

I really, really wish they found some other way to animate Dongoro's "mouth." The way that hole in the center of its body opens and closes like that makes it look more like an asshole than anything else.

Trainer_Gabriel said:
I thought Team Rocket was going to "blast off" until they pulled their jetpacks last minute and rather "shooted off" again.

I don't see why people are acting like "blasting off" and "blasting off with jet packs" are two different things. They're pretty much identical, if you ask me.

Oh! And I forgot to mention the terrible, terrible laugh that came out of the Rocket trio's mouths. Good God that almost made me want to vomit.

On the plus side, the part where the trio is freaking out over their mecha blowing up was almost in-character! That's worth pointing out, I think.

Oh! And I forgot to mention the terrible, terrible laugh that came out of the Rocket trio's mouths. Good God that almost made me want to vomit.
One thing I miss from DP was their weird evil laugh. It was so cute!

...Except in both of those cases, we didn't have TRio shoved down our threats. There was more time for Ash to bond with that pokemon, and this is why I think it is a bad idea to say that a pokemon's worth is only determined by the first episode.

And that partially explains why Dangoro was bland, but doesn't change that he was bland.

In this anime, first episodes don't mean squat.

Actually, they almost always give a very good indication of where the writers are going in terms of personality as pokémon who are known for their personality, usually show a lot of it in their debut episode, and while the character traits might change, the "level of personality" doesn't. But that's besides the point. We're talking about this episode and the pokémon that debuted in it. Did it showcase a unique and interesting personality? No. Was I entertained by the pokémon or the episode? No. Did it make me want to see more of Dangoro? No.

Debut episodes are first impressions, and that's what I'm talking: first impressions.

How much personality can you give each individual pokemon, and we are talking perhaps maybe 12-13 pokemon the group may have at the most?

If a pokémon has no personality, much like Kurumayu or Dangoro, then it has no reason to be on the main cast. Simple as that. Lack of personality and lack of defining character traits means that it can't bring drama or comedy, can't engage the audience. That's what happened in this episode. Dangoro was blander than bland (then again, who wasn't in this episode) so... why should I care? Why should I want to see it again?

A pokemon's "personality" cannot clearly be the only reason why their presence and battles are interesting. Just seeing Ash using a variety of pokemon, not the same pokemon we have seen him use time and time again, is a breath of fresh air in this anime.

It is to me since I was never bothered by Satoshi sticking to one team, as long as they had interesting personalities that kept me engaged. Seeing Satoshi use a "variety" of pokémon (since two grass types and two water types isn't what I would call variety), isn't enough to interest me if the pokémon themselves aren't interesting.

It was very engertic and strong from what we can tell from it being able to jump like it did in the very beginning of the episode. An example of this in the first few minutes with it jumping around the outside of the cave, plus it was able to escape from Team Rocket's roggenrola grabbing part in the first place in the beginning of the episode shows how strong and engertic. It also shows a good bit of loyality from what we can tell from it going out of the cave, adventuring when it has never gone out side of the cave at all. Another point is when it used Flash Cannon and blocked his friends' combined Flash Cannon to protect Ash and Company.

You're telling us what Dangoro did, not who Dangoro is. Dangoro doesn't want himself or his friends to be captured by Team Rocket, much like almost every single pokémon on this show, but what's the thing that makes him unique? What's the character trait that makes him stand out? There's nothing really personable, really memorable about Dangoro, nothing that's engaging, nothing that really made me want to see more.

Really then you are saying adding Staraptor in the mix or Buziel in the mix was wrong based on their first episode. How about gible who only was shown for about 5 minutes in the first episode it was seen.

Both Buoysel and Fukumaru showed very strong personalities in their debut episode, you could tell straight up who they were, what they were about. I'll give you Mukkuru, but that's just my point. Mukuhawk was probably the least developped member of Satoshi's Sinnoh team personality wise and, lo and behold, he's the one who had the least developped personality in its debut episode... Sure we saw some good moments here and there, but as a whole, not really personable. The same for Dangoro and most of the sixth slot pokémon Satoshi's Isshu team. We didn't see anything in this episode, and that's likely to remain the same throughout Isshu, with Dangoro and its likely evolved forms to be soulless battling machines.

I finally brung myself to watch this...all I have to say is "meh"...I liked the music though, but honestly I couldn't stay focused with this one like I normally do ^^;

^ Agreed on the music part, I especially liked the piece that started when Ash turned his cap backwards and played until the end of the episode. :D

I don't see why people are acting like "blasting off" and "blasting off with jet packs" are two different things. They're pretty much identical, if you ask me.

No no!!1 Don't you get it?? "Blasting off" is what the old, incompetent goofy TRio did, while "Blasting off (with jetpacks)" is what the new, serious TRio does!!1 (even though now they're sorta back into being the old TRio)[/sarcasm]

Anyway, this episode was sorta bland. I hope Roggenrolla gets some development in the future. :(

If a pokémon has no personality, much like Kurumayu or Dangoro, then it has no reason to be on the main cast. Simple as that.
So, Yanappu who often plays the straight guy and acts nice like Pikachu shouldn't be on the cast? Hatooboh who acts like every other Flying Type in the show Satoshi has owned shouldn't be on the cast? I don't see why Kurumayu's name gets called out above all when I never hear complaints about Hatooboh, or Yanappu. Dangoro displayed in this episode it can be very jumpy and energetic, something we'll most likely see again, given the Pokemon has no arms, or eyes.

I'm curious what sort of character development they will give Roggenrolla. As gotpika mentioned, it looks like the only way it can express emotions is by body gestures and vocalizing...and maybe different types of sphincter contractions of its earhole. Yheeeeck.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom