• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW039: Everyone Gathers! Don Battle!!

Heh, when TR's voices were revealed in the summaries, we were like, "Oh no, 5 eps in a row?!"

But since it seems like they're back to having their own little subplot and not interfering with the tournament, now I don't mind. It'll be interesting to see what they do over the next 3 episodes.

Thank god that tiring rut they were in during the previous 4 BW eps is over, just being shoe-horned into eps again for no reason. Only in the ep where Ash captured the rock Pokemon were they justifiable in.

20k3xqv.png

Is that Zorua?

Man, this could be as good as the Hearthome City Tag Battle Tournament...even if it's just one-one-one matches. Can't wait for the rest of the tourney.
Seeing all the rivals and other characters come together is something I'd never thought would ever happen; but it seems BW may be just as surprising as DP was. And having each main character have a rival will give Iris and Cilan their own on-going, established plotlines that will hopefully last through the rest of the series. Too bad Ash doesn't have a more orginal--and experienced--rival...

Joltik being KO'ed simply by getting flattened by Beartic's body weight was something I never would have imagined could happen--or that it was even legimate. LOL. Oh well, it's just for amusement I guess.

Bianca <3 Langley <3 Zorua <3
That's pretty much what I have to say about this ep
Totally loved this... these three are awesome and I hope we get similar scenes of them in the upcoming eps too

i think it's funny.. everytime she meets satoshi, she pushes him into a lake of something

I think this episode was awesome purely for the amount of great characters there were. Bianca, Burgundy, Kenyan AND Langley all being there as well as the usual trio just rocked. It was a great episode and I can already tell this arc is gonna be awesome.

LOL troll writers! Raimon Town xD

also, this episode was REAAALY fun, i was absent from the internet for a while, so i either didn't know about this tournament or i forgot about it, so i got caught by surprise and it was AWESOME, hoping for more awesomeness, also is it gonna be a 3-parter like the tag battle tournament? i hope so ^_^

Did anyone else notice Kenyan's terrible, terrible handwriting?

Speaking of writing, I'm sick to death of seeing that fucking made-up language everywhere. Like, Luke isn't even allowed to have the letters "REC" on his video display? What the hell?

I was also surprised that the episode actually bothered to a) name all the participants, and b) come up with some great character designs. Usually the periphery characters get generic designs because they figured nobody would care, but this time they went all out. Sanshiro, in particular, had a design that looked like it had a lot of thought put into it.

And as others have pointed out, Cabernet's "My new vintage" was great :p

Crysta Badge said:
Heheh, bobbleheads. Always funny. On another note: Nimbasa City AND Nimbasa Town? Question: what's the fucking point? A city and town sharing a name, so bloody daft...

Similar things happen in real life. Like, why do we have a New York City and a New York State? Why are there so many cities named "Paris" in the U.S.? etc. etc.

garrison-san said:
That poor spider-tick...though wasn't he just adorable with those four swirly unconscious eyes?^^

I like how it already had the swirly eyes - this show's shorthand for "unconscious" - and yet was still able to drag itself out from under Tsunbear. I don't think we've ever seen a pokemon move while "unable to battle" like that before.

gotpika said:
Shuuti thinks he's above everyone, with the "KIMI KIMI" stuff, it's called "Anata" use it.

There's nothing wrong with him using "kimi." He's a kid, not a Japanese 101 textbook.

"Anata" would be way too stiff and formal.

Gliscor'd said:
Heh, when TR's voices were revealed in the summaries, we were like, "Oh no, 5 eps in a row?!"

To be fair, the Dent fishing episode wasn't supposed to air when it did. We would have only gotten four episodes in a row instead of five if it wasn't for the earthquake in March. Still too much, yeah, but it wouldn't have been *as* bad.

Thank god that tiring rut they were in during the previous 4 BW eps is over, just being shoe-horned into eps again for no reason.

I'm glad they're finally going to start getting shoved to the background again. While watching them fetch briefcases and checking out maps is boring as hell, it at least doesn't drag down the entire episode like their more recent appearances have. The less of the BW Rocket trio we see, the better.

I really liked this episode. It was fun and light and the fight wasn't long but was energetic and fun to watch.
Zorua was really great. Iris and Langley's rivalry stole the whole episode whilst Ash and Trip were boring as usual.
But I really liked that Trip is losing his screentime. To me, he was a character gone wrong. Generic Paul that did not work.
And it's interesting to wonder if losing to Cilan will refresh his storyline.

Similar things happen in real life. Like, why do we have a New York City and a New York State? Why are there so many cities named "Paris" in the U.S.? etc. etc.
I wouldn't know anything about place names in America, but...really? Wow. That's really silly. Regardless, just because it happens in reality doesn't mean it has to happen in fiction: why be confusing when you don't have to be? I personally consider the OneSteveLimit trope an acceptable break from reality.

I like the "The writers just wanted to troll us" explanation. Much more amusing.

I like the "The writers just wanted to troll us" explanation. Much more amusing.

I don't, since "troll" is a terrible internet word which users deserve a swift punch to the face.

On another note...
Takemitsu, is he supposed to be some sort of parody of someone? He kind of seems like one, and he also goes through the trouble of announcing his name despite not really needing to.

I feel trolled. I was led to believe by the animator that the sexy Elesa would be in this episode...YET SHES NOWHERE IN SIGHT!!! And I thought this tournament was taking place in Nimbasa City, not a town. Though the shots they shown of Nimbasa City at the beginning with Team Rocket looked incredible!

It's because the episodes were renumbered after TR vs TP was delayed, with the episode we just saw being BW039, so about three more weeks before she will appear.

It was alright though it's not what I was expecting. Disappointed they're showing M13 over the next episode and I'm even more pissed since Serebii states the after the 2nd part, there's gonna be another week delay for Part 3 for a damn Naruto special. WTF?

Now WHY would they show Movie 13 instead of the next episode, that's what bothers me, and if I remember right (I havent been catching up with Japan on Naruto, so I have no idea what is going on), Naruto Shippuden is on a filler arc, making it a double whammy for both fanbases.

Actually, they were saying how their ambitions were shining as brightly as the ferris wheel's light or something. They didn't talk about energy or power, just that the new mission in Raimon City was for Sakaki.

The question is, what does Giovanni want, and does it hint at the long awaited appearance of Team Plasma? We have until September to find out, since we have to wait two weeks for the next episode, and after that, ANOTHER two weeks for the episode after that.

I don't, since "troll" is a terrible internet word which users deserve a swift punch to the face.

Agreed, that and "pony" are probably the most overused words on the internet.

It's because the episodes were renumbered after TR vs TP was delayed, with the episode we just saw being BW039, so about three more weeks before she will appear.
I think the article on Bulbapedia that said that Masaaki Iwane revealed on his blog that she was supposed to appear in "Everyone Gathers! Don Battle!"

Now WHY would they show Movie 13 instead of the next episode, that's what bothers me, and if I remember right (I havent been catching up with Japan on Naruto, so I have no idea what is going on), Naruto Shippuden is on a filler arc, making it a double whammy for both fanbases.
I honestly don't know why they'd show the Zoroark movie over BW 40 and I really wanted to see Cilan defeat Trip this week. As for that damn Naruto special, the movie screwed everything up. I guess because the movie runs over Naruto's time slot, I guess they have to make up for it cause of the movie and it pisses me off that they put it over what should be the proper date for the Iris vs. Kenyan episode, right after the episode where Trip finally loses.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom