• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW057: Kaiketsu A☆Gilder VS Freege Man!

Ash is so oblivious to everything. Everybody else around him knew that Charles was A*Gilder, but it took Ash more than fifteen minutes to discover Charles' true identity. The worst part of Ash's foolishness was that he accidentally revealed A*Gilder's real name to the villains.

With that said, the villains in this episode were meh, just plain meh. I understand that this was a parody of kamen rider shows that air in Japan, but at least give the villains a more substantial purpose than simply wanting to befriend all of the Vanillite in the world by giving them stolen frozen treats. At the very least, I found it hilarious that Professor Tsurara called himself "Cryogonal Guy," and the main characters expected him to send out a Cryogonal. They were very shocked to see him send out a Vanillish instead. Even A*Gilder asked Tsurara why he had a Vanillish on him.

And wow, Iris. I'll give the writer of this episode credit for actually remembering Iris's fear of Ice-type pokemon. It may have been a few seconds of Iris being creeped out, but it was good to see that she wasn't emotionless when she was outside her comfort zone. Iris was not only in a giant freezer (she stated that she dislikes the cold), but she had to deal with all of these Ice-type pokemon.

Poor Cilan was reduced to more than consoling Ash after being denied a gym match, but since he'll be getting his own episode next week it is not a big deal.

The strangest part of this episode was not this kamen rider parody taking fold. No, not even the irony that the leader of the Vanillite guild is wearing a Cryogonal mask. No, the most noticeable aspect of this episode was the female COTD, Linda. Damn, she is essentially an older and female Trip. Not only do the characters have the same hair and eye color, but both characters are voiced by the same person in the Japanese version and use similar pokemon (Timburr). When I watched this episode, I kept thinking about Trip every time I saw Linda.

Team Rocket gets their obligatory 30 seconds before the eyecatch and near the end of the episode. Who cares? This was bound to happen so I no longer care about how the writers are siphoning time to strengthen the storyline of the episode.

Anyways, it was good to see Clay near the beginning of the episode. This allowed the writers to introduce his character without having to waste an entire episode. For those who wanted Clay to show a personality in his debut episode, well, he doesn't have an overbearing demeanor in the games. Clay's pre-gym purpose in the games is largely fulfilled thanks to A*Gilder in this episode.

I wonder if that Ducklett is related to the three from episode 20...

That Ducklett's demeanor was different from the Ducklett that were featured previously.

Last edited:
-Um, Yakon he didn't really rock my world truth be told, seems they made him a bit more of a grumpy mid-aged man.

Don't you mean, he wasn't ground-breaking?

Anyways. I was just left with a big wtf over the episode. It's all the sadness when you have to wait till subtitles or anything to understand things.

The episode itself was good, and it was made even better when I was actually able to understand the plot from the comments here :p

Yacon's reason for refusing to battle Satoshi will be my deciding factor in whether or not I approve of how the anime is treating him so far. (The guy's a businessman, he could just be really busy...) I listed to the reason he gave Satoshi like six times but I'm not very good at picking out sounds in Japanese, so it wasn't very helpful. (Come on, anime, don't screw over my favorite gym leader!)

He had to go investigate a new vein discovered in his mine.

Last edited:
Spr_BW_Biker.png

Charles, it's good to see you lost some weight for your tv appearance!
SUCH A HEARTBREAKER.

I enjoyed the episode, I was actually pretty surprised (admittedly, a little sad, too) that Cryogonal itself didn't appear, but then, that was part of the humor. I agree that I have enjoyed the fillers more so in this series. And aww, Vanillite!

Ducklett.....

....Y U ALL SUCH ASSHOLES!?

In all seriousness, I do wonder what happens in the pokemon world when the trainer of a owned pokemon is arrested. Do they go to pokejail? Are they released?

Anyway, good ep. The whole gang came off lovable, and Charles was an amusing COTD. {I do have to wonder if they'll appear again during the Kami episodes.} Decent action. Good animation. Nice background music. Just a really solid ep all around.

Yay, finally an episode that I really enjoyed! I laughed throughout most of it. Both Charles and Linda were likeable and entertaining. Definitely memorable characters. It was cute how Satoshi and gang were sidekicks. I like how they just end up tagging along.

I thought the villains were great too. Silly, of course, but that's what made them interesting.

Totally shipping Charles/Linda now.

Me too

He had to go investigate a new vein discovered in his mine.
Ah, that makes sense. Just doing his businessman stuff then, which is perfectly legit to me.

I hope this vein of his is actually important/gets some later mention. It would be annoying for him to have delayed a gym challenger just for something like this to happen:

Satoshi: So Yacon, how's the new vein in your mine? Is it cool?
Yacon: lol no. It was a convenient plot device to push back the gym battle for a(n admittedly awesome) Kamen Rider parody.
Satoshi: So... there's nothing cool in your mine?
Yacon: Nothin' but rocks.

I loved this episode. Forget Team Plasma, the Vanillite gang are the way of the future!

So it seems Freezioman wanted to befriend all of Unova's Vanillite.
Well I suppose they would be finger lickin' good. Just saying.

I'm a bit surprised to see only two pages of this thread, considering it was one of the more fun episodes of BW. I think I liked this episode more than the Gligarman episode. I forgot about Charles in the games and didin't realize the one here was the same character from the games. I love it when the anime incorporates game characters to the same.

Interesting to see Clay though. The most unusal debut for a gym leader I have ever seen.

And just think, if Team Rocket wasn't doing serious genie business, Guyogonal and his henchcicles would've never existed.
Forgive me, but, I found that term... humorous, for some reason. I'll probably be thinking about that for a while.

Yeah, it's pretty strange having little talk about this episode so far considering how much it was hyped up here in the forums when the preview came out. Anyways this was a fun episode. Yakon had a good voice (not looking forward to his dub appearance though, considering TCPi loves to amp up stereotypes), and Tsurarer-hakase/Freeze-Man was hilarious too. I definitely would love to see more Swift Hero A☆Gilder and Linda episodes in the future. :)

-Satoshi, was great with being so oblivious and such a kid.(pun not intended :p) In shows like Sailor Moon, Tensou Sentai Gokaiger, or Kamen Rider you feel like the characters are stupid for not being able to tell whom the heroes are when transformed, but I loved that in Satoshi.
Tensou Sentai? LOL.

Anyways, easily my favorite episode of the BW series, since I'm a Kamen Rider/Sentai fan. Hey, when they put this in the States, they'll probably make Charles into a Power Ranger!

Anyways, easily my favorite episode of the BW series, since I'm a Kamen Rider/Sentai fan. Hey, when they put this in the States, they'll probably make Charles into a Power Ranger!

Nah. They're probably translate his hero name and alter it a bit.

LOL, really loved this ep! XD I always said Pokémon is best with the crazy episodes - hopefully BW will have more of these
I liked that they mentioned Moo Moo Milk - cause that's another little hint to the past, since Moo Moo Milk was mentioned previously in the DP Johto Festival eps (and was seen in Johto too, though back then I don't think they called it "Moo Moo Milk" in the anime) and of course it's an indirect reference to an old Pokémon (Miltank)

The worst Superhero vs The most Pathetic Supervillain
I know how funny it is to see how oblivious Ash is But I think it would have been better if Ash figure out thing that even Clian & Iris can't figure out
Because everybody loves a hero who doesn't understand simple thing but figure out complicated stuff
Unfortunately Ash is oblivious from both simple & complicated stuff
I mean he might show his quick witness during battle but seriously I love if Ash use his brain in understanding other stuff rather then depending on Brock & Clian to explain them

I love these types of episodes when the show doesn't take itself seriously. I mean, those were the most ridiculous supervillains EVER (BEFRIEND ALL THE ICE CREAMS) and Linda and Charles were both extremely memorable. Oh Charles, you lovable derp, you.

U know, I would love if anyone make a funny comment about Dr Freege Man stupid idea about Befriend all Ice pokemon with Ice Cream
Like, After Dr Tsuraraa explain his plan to Linda ,
I Wish she say's ''That's your Evil Plan, Befriend all Ice pokemon with Ice Cream. I can't believe I got work up for a stupid plan like this''
Dr Tsuraraa Say' ''How dare u calling my plan stupid ! With this plan all the Ice type pokemon will allow me to take over Unova. Its a Magnificent Plan !
Linda then look the other way & Say"" Ya, For a Bunch of Idiot's ''
Man, If this happened than this episode would have been more funny but Linda & other keep such a Serious environment when Dr Freege man exlain his idea !
It sort of kill the humor .

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom