• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Daily Snippet Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revenge of the Boyega

Dancing With Myself
Reaction score
Post a snippet of what you have written lately/today. Don't worry about how long it is, really - just use a spoiler tag. And in case you're wondering, yes, this is a means to perpetuate vanity.

Writers... commence!
kermit-la-grenouille-machine-a-ecrire.gif

Are we suppose to comment on the written stuff? Because that would make it a lot like the samples thread.

Last edited:
I suppose this thread is distinct from the samples thread by way of being a way to show off bits and pieces rather than to workshop awkward paragraphs.

I don't normally do this kind of thing, but I'm making an effort to post a little more, so here's a snippet coming up in Different Eyes real soon:

“Hybrid.” That was the word Alisha had used. Salem didn’t know that word, but she could infer the meaning. She made an experimental series of swipes with her paw, trying to combine her signs for ‘pokémon’ and ‘human.’ Clawing motions for [POKÉMON.] Tapping her head for [PERSON.] One paw slashing downward, then back up to touch her forehead. [POKÉMON-HUMAN.] That would be her, soon. Her heart and lungs accelerated in anticipation.

Here is some of my latest work. Original sci fi - laughable, but new.

In the halls of the dishonestly acquired, there was no envy. Only disgust, and a deep longing to take one’s feet off the tainted ground of some elevated crook’s efforts. The polished surfaces and silver-sheen instrumentation fixed into minimalist décor provoked no awe, but a rising confidence in one man’s convictions. His own. At least this shiny haven of convenience and leisure would someday be mimicked in the abodes of the underprivileged, and then they would be the unprivileged no more; they would evolve, just like the technology around him, into better and healthier forms that could be the solid foundation of a thriving galaxy. There’d be appreciation, too. The only good thing that came of a three-hundred-year wait was to whet the appetite for change and prolong the savouring of it.

_____ didn’t like the Inner Sanctum. It was a glorified den of thieves who compensated for inner filthiness by splashing their cities with white paint and smiling brightly whenever it was time for their countenances to adorn holographic billboards, with the largest of text beneath saying ‘Making a better future out of a bitter past’. They even had the gall to quote a writer of the Lower Factions while lathering it with hypocrisy. ___ could only marvel at the audacity of it all, which in itself was doubled by the mendacity of the same people. He might have laughed if his humour hadn’t been all used up on the way here – snorting bafflement at the flyers which promised the populace of the Inner Sanctum more energy, commerce and prosperity. He had even pocketed it with the intention to wave it beneath the Galactic Chancellor’s nose; bringing attention to what was essentially a confession. So he walked down the glittering halls of power with a purposeful stride, making his way to the last fat cat he could appeal to before things got active.

Yeaaaaah... I know it sounds like a crappy sci fi written by a nerd in a basement but I've been meaning to play upon the theme of prejudice and and injustice for a long time. So I went obvious and dived into class differences, morality and blah blah blah blah.

I suppose this thread is distinct from the samples thread by way of being a way to show off bits and pieces rather than to workshop awkward paragraphs.

Correct!

Anyone can give praise, but dissection and judgement aren't the purposes here.

Anyone can give praise, but dissection and judgement aren't the purposes here.
This is a nice distinction, but I'm not sure it's enough. Part of being a community like this is helping your fellow authors improve their skills, while receiving that same help back. That is what the samples thread was created for, and that's the environment we're trying to foster. A community that is less "me" and more "us".

So I'll be locking this and encouraging people to post over there instead, while still sticking to the spirit of that thread; providing feedback for others in exchange for feedback (be it praise or dissection) for your own snippets.

That and I honestly kind of see this thread just turning into a dumping ground for snippets that get little or no attention, which personally isn't something I want to see happen. It tends to happen around these kinds of communities, especially the smaller ones like ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom