• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Diagonal movement

They had it in the PMD games. They had it in the Ranger games. Why not include it in the mainstream games?

Dr_Robotnik said:
But what about the strength puzzles?

This might be where it comes into handy.

Nobody doesn't buy a pokemon game because they can't move diagonally. If they aren't buying the games, it's quite possibly for reasons such as them not caring for the idea of catching monsters or some crap like that.

Times change, fans get replaced and nobody is buying the game due to four-directional movement either. The only reason I'm hearing is that older fans feel nostalgic.
Except, Dogasu, since there's historically no significant overall movement in the Routes other than north/south and east/west, lack of diagonal movement doesn't detract from the efficiency of the movement.

Ranger goes by the north/south east/west route as well, but you forget, though the routes may go in one direction, it is not an empty narrow pathway where diagonal movement impedes you.There are obstacles that one must walk by, and diagonal movement certainly cuts down on time for that.
Be lame and have an excuse like "your Pokemon doesn't like moving things side-ways" or make the boulders large enough that you can't push them diagonally between each other. The tricks in the boulder puzzles after all, is to get them out of each others way.

Besides, unless they allow you to "pull" boulders, you're still going to get trapped if you put the boulder in a corner.
It's no more ridiculous than you saying:

10-to-1, the people that you say are acting 'absolutely hilarious' about this are still going to get the games if they throw in diagonal movement, just as much as you're going to buy them if they keep the same ol' Up/Down-Left/Right directions. I've yet to see anyone crusade their prefered control scheme religiously in this thread. People gave their reasons and you gave yours - simple as that. In fact, the only really crazy thing I've seen so far is Quagbert's idea of pythagorean theorem to calculate egg steps.

OH DEAR GOD! 2012 IS REAL! THE FANDOM HAS NOT REJECTED A NEW GAME BASED ON TRIVIAL MATTERS!

V Faction said:
People gave their reasons and you gave yours - simple as that.

The fact that some people are so vehemently opposed to something as simple as moving diagonally in the main series is hilarious to me. It's like the stereotype of a senile old man on his front lawn, yelling at kids to turn down their rap music. "Move diagonal? I don't need no new-fangled control scheme! Four directions is all ya need! These graphics are too shiny! The screen hurts my eyes! My thumbs hurt! Where am I!?!?"

Dr_Robotnik said:

They can do the same thing that every other RPG franchise has been doing with strength puzzles since diagonal movement became a standard back in the 1990s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FPy66NH70

Years ago I was like, "What? No thanks."

But now I think that'd be a fine idea. I don't think anyone things it's the difference that makes the next gen games go from lame to awesome, but I think it's been 14 years so they might as well do it. I don't see why it'd ruin the games.

Besides, if you don't wanna walk diagonally, can't you just continue going up, down, left, right, on your own? (Well, unless NPCs move diagonally.)

Ratchet said:
I wouldn't object to it, but it just doesn't seem very pokémon to me.

Maybe this is what was meant when it was said that people would play the new Pokemon game(s?) and say, "Is this Pokemon?" =D

(Which would actually be sad when you think about it...)

eh, i think the games should just stay the way it's been. why make things more complicated? what would moving diagonally really help? It could be like the mystery dungeon series, but the touchscreen controls (at least in the first game) kind of annoyed me; I always used the d-pad.

But you can say that about abilities and natures... (and the 300+ more Pokemon, and new items, and new attacks in general...)

Last edited:
The fact that some people are so vehemently opposed to something as simple as moving diagonally in the main series is hilarious to me. It's like the stereotype of a senile old man on his front lawn, yelling at kids to turn down their rap music. "Move diagonal? I don't need no new-fangled control scheme! Four directions is all ya need! These graphics are too shiny! The screen hurts my eyes! My thumbs hurt! Where am I!?!?"
Well I can't disagree with the old man and his aching back.

I just feel like people aren't going ga-ga about wanting to keep their preferences. At least, not in this thread; don't ask me about the rest of the world. It's a design choice of the games so far that they've really liked apparently. That's all I see it as.

As for me, if we get new movement options in the game, I'd be much more interested in how the world would change. Diagonal routes are just the beginning -- we could have architecture that is obtuse, buildings off-center, maybe real world examples of overlaping structures. They could redesign the game world completely or keep it traditional with the south-to-north viewpoint. Seems like PMD keeps it that way. Earlier, I was thinking of the typical isometric view ala many RPGs, but it doesn't have to be that drastic.

Outrage said:
OH DEAR GOD! 2012 IS REAL! THE FANDOM HAS NOT REJECTED A NEW GAME BASED ON TRIVIAL MATTERS!
The next games are set to be based upon the end of the world. If you don't beat the Champion then the polar icecaps melt and you get to play as John Cusack.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom