• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you find Georgia/Langley to be an interesting rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A funny thing I found when rewatching(more like skimming through, but whatever) her debut, she calls Dent "kimi". I guess they never stopped making comparisons between main girls and Satoshi. Regardless though, it explains why BW081's premise is similiar to BW022.

If they improve the rivavlry between Iris and Georgia, I think she's going to be known as one of the most wonderful rivals. For now, they don't have much tension between them, but rather kiddy arguments.

Georgia is a good rival and is very interesting. I just feel that if Iris would be a little more threaten by her then things would be better in the rivalry department. But now I feel that it's the other way around.

should Langley/Georgia have a better goal?

this is the one Rival I'm iffy about in the B/W series. the character is great, but I feel her goal is....empty. from what I've gotten, she is a Dragon Slayer whose dream is to defeat a powerful Dragon user from the Land of Dragons, to avenge her parent's defeat. now a revenge plot is Ok, but really that means her goal is kind of empty, because that means she should be targeting Drayden instead of Iris or something. and when she finally beats someone..then what? Ok, she got her revenge, but as anyone whoknows anything about revenge knows, you are left with a feeling of nothing in the end. It'snot like Ash's goal to be a pokemon master, or iris to become a Dragon master which she becomes in the future or Cilan and Burgandy who want to become S-Class connoisseurs? when she beats someone, she has nowhere to go, really. unless she plans on taking down lance or a Tao dragon or something.

maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, though. what are your thoughts?

I should note that Langley's parents have nothing to do with it; her own Pokémon was beaten.

Re: should Langley/Georgia have a better goal?

this is the one Rival I'm iffy about in the B/W series. the character is great, but I feel her goal is....empty. from what I've gotten, she is a Dragon Slayer whose dream is to defeat a powerful Dragon user from the Land of Dragons, to avenge her parent's defeat. now a revenge plot is Ok, but really that means her goal is kind of empty, because that means she should be targeting Drayden instead of Iris or something. and when she finally beats someone..then what? Ok, she got her revenge, but as anyone whoknows anything about revenge knows, you are left with a feeling of nothing in the end. It'snot like Ash's goal to be a pokemon master, or iris to become a Dragon master which she becomes in the future or Cilan and Burgandy who want to become S-Class connoisseurs? when she beats someone, she has nowhere to go, really. unless she plans on taking down lance or a Tao dragon or something.

maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, though. what are your thoughts?

I'm not sure if I have a problem with Georgia's goal itself. It is kind of limiting, especially when there aren't a lot of Dragon types in Unova, but I think that the problem I have with her now is just her obsession with beating Iris. Even before being defeated by Dragonite, she would act like she's the only one who has the right to beat Iris because of her Axew, which sounds fine on paper, except that she already defeated Iris before. Axew wasn't really strong and personally, I don't think that it is now, despite the overpowered moves it gets, but her desire to defeat Iris doesn't make a lot of sense to me when the best she could do before Dragonite was a tie. Even then, she was easily able to defeat Axew with no problem. I think that my problem has less to do with Georiga's overall goal and more to do with her motivation to battle Iris, which I think is just going nowhere still. I do think it makes more sense for Georgia to go after trainers who are actually already strong with their Dragon types instead of just telling Iris to hurry up and become a Dragon Master so that she could beat her, even though she already has.

No they just threw her in there for no reason, she sucks and should have stayed a CotD.

The character itself, is a really nice welcome.

But I kind of hoped she would be more usefull instead of trying just to beat Iris or as a punching bag.

in my book she is the third most interesting rival in BW only losing to bianca and stephan

Even before being defeated by Dragonite, she would act like she's the only one who has the right to beat Iris because of her Axew, which sounds fine on paper, except that she already defeated Iris before. Axew wasn't really strong and personally, I don't think that it is now, despite the overpowered moves it gets, but her desire to defeat Iris doesn't make a lot of sense to me when the best she could do before Dragonite was a tie. Even then, she was easily able to defeat Axew with no problem.

Yeah, she's just sort of stagnant at this point. It doesn't make much sense, and it's kind of disappointing, because her early appearances were wonderful and she had a valuable place in the character dynamic, bouncing off all the others. I kind of feel like Iris just sort of pities her right now, which is sad since she clearly has more interest in beating Iris specifically than actually beating dragon-types, since a) she could beat Iris/Axew early on, b) she... could just go off and actually fight them. I'm not sure I want them to be friends just yet, but there's a lot of potential between the two and... they're just wasting it! :C

I'd love to see her have more meaningful interaction with Burgundy, too. Basically, I love her, but in the same way I loved her at the start and in the same ways. She hasn't levelled out like Burgundy has, and even she has a bit to go. Fortunately there's still time. I just hope they don't rush it all at the end or start fading her out. Georgia's a lot of fun.

Yeah, she's just sort of stagnant at this point.

Huh? Are you confusing her with Burgundy? Georgia and her rivalry with Iris has developed each time she appeared, from her debut to the Don Battle to the Donamite to the Ferroseed Research Center incident to the Junior Cup; something has changed in each of those instances. There's nothing stagnant about Georgia; she's one of the best written rivals in the whole anime, IMO.

which is sad since she clearly has more interest in beating Iris specifically than actually beating dragon-types, since a) she could beat Iris/Axew early on, b) she... could just go off and actually fight them.

How is that sad? That's development! Georgia is easing up on her petty grudge and finding a better calling in fighting a worthy opponent.

She hasn't levelled out like Burgundy has, and even she has a bit to go

Again, what? How has Burgundy "levelled out"?

Burgundy's the one stuck in a rut here: still C-class, still obsessed with beating Cilan, still losing to everyone.

You're right, she's not identical, but she still says virtually the same thing every time and Iris is just so indifferent towards her. Cilan and Burgundy are on the ways to becoming friends, whereas Georgia still completely unimpresses and bores Iris. I don't feel like Georgia is particularly easing up, it feels like even she's a little bored by the lines she has to say constantly! I love Georgia and it's really getting to me that she has to stay this way.

The difference with Burgundy is that her relationship with Cilan has at least meaningfully changed a bit. There are constantly jokey lines about how Burgundy is secretly interested in whatever Cilan does or says even if she finds him unendearing - Georgia points it out all the time. She admits she learns from him. Cilan has gone from finding her creepy and immature to somewhat endearing. He's interested in her improvement. Iris still doesn't seem to have changed her opinion at all and it's stagnant.

But you're right about losing to everyone. I don't get why these two are basically the least competent in battles, because contextually they're both good trainers and popular characters. It makes no sense. At least Georgia seems to have very reasonable losses.

She is well-written, she's just been slow for a while.

You're right, she's not identical, but she still says virtually the same thing every time and Iris is just so indifferent towards her. Cilan and Burgundy are on the ways to becoming friends, whereas Georgia still completely unimpresses and bores Iris. I don't feel like Georgia is particularly easing up, it feels like even she's a little bored by the lines she has to say constantly! I love Georgia and it's really getting to me that she has to stay this way.
Not really, Iris actually cares about Langley and said that at the end of the Junior Cup that she really didn't win and agreed with Langley. Then Lanlgey said she looked forward to seeing how Kairyu changed from that point on and said that she's definitely gonna be powering up. Then Iris said that Langley can have high hopes for Kairyu's future and left her on a positive note compared to her first debut episode she's really changed in that regard. The only reason I'm defending Langley is because she's the only rival who's gotten development, aside from Shooti, but Shooti was a bit too...sudden? People don't change that fast XP

Are you sure you're not confusing those two? Because Cabernet has been the same person since day one. Still dead-set on getting her revenge, throws a fit and swears revenge against anyone who beats her, sourpuss attitude toward pretty much every battle/and or character, stagnate rank, loses every battle, makes a crappy evaluation every time.

The difference with Burgundy is that her relationship with Cilan has at least meaningfully changed a bit. There are constantly jokey lines about how Burgundy is secretly interested in whatever Cilan does or says even if she finds him unendearing - Georgia points it out all the time.
Actually, that's not development. Cabernet has done that since her debut episode, it's not really change, more so showing off a trait of Cabernet we've seen since she's been in the anime. Though I do like it when she does that XD SourGrapesShipping FTW!

She admits she learns from him. Cilan has gone from finding her creepy and immature to somewhat endearing. He's interested in her improvement. Iris still doesn't seem to have changed her opinion at all and it's stagnant.
Again, that's not development. Dento has treated Cabernet with nothing but kindness since she debuted in the anime. Development is something like Iris and Langley softening up to each other and learning to respect each other to an extent, Dento has always treated Cabernet nicely and he's always been interested in her improving. Iris' opinion on Langley has changed significantly, because like I said before, the Junior Cup farewell scene with her leaving Langley on a positive note and telling her to look forward to Kairyu being under control in the future is telling of that or the whole Baivanilla episode.
But you're right about losing to everyone. I don't get why these two are basically the least competent in battles, because contextually they're both good trainers and popular characters. It makes no sense. At least Georgia seems to have very reasonable losses.
Langley's win record and lose record is perfectly fine. Cabernet on the other hand is just terrible. The lose to Kairyu didn't count and I'm not surprised Emboar ended up defeating her Kirikizan in the Donamite since that tournament was more about Kenyan and Bel, plus a loss against Bel's strongest with a double advantage was unavoidable anyway. She beat Doryuzu and Kibago and pulled out a tie against Doryuzu in the rematch. She beat the Bachuru in the Don Battle and Crimgan in the Donamite, the latter being very good since her mission in life is to Bust Dragons. She was creaming Satoshi and Tsutarja and Satoshi mainly won by catching a lucky break with Komatana getting stuck in the ground, rather than having anything that specifically countered her. She perfectly fine in terms of battling.

Nah, I find her a complete ass and don't like her. She's an interesting rival, but as a character, I don't like her that much. :/

Nah, I find her a complete ass and don't like her. She's an interesting rival, but as a character, I don't like her that much. :/

She honestly didn't do much for me as a rival since her rivalry with Iris went pretty much nowhere. I kind of liked that she would actually call Iris out on her flaws, especially when that didn't happen nearly as often as it should, but that was about it. If their rivalry actually went anywhere, she would probably be a decent rival, but she's more like a decent character at best for me.

She honestly didn't do much for me as a rival since her rivalry with Iris went pretty much nowhere. I kind of liked that she would actually call Iris out on her flaws, especially when that didn't happen nearly as often as it should, but that was about it. If their rivalry actually went anywhere, she would probably be a decent rival, but she's more like a decent character at best for me.

I just found her such a...well, you know. At least with Burgundy it was sort of cute how she was agitated with Cilan, but to me Georgia was just more annoying than anything.

I just found her such a...well, you know. At least with Burgundy it was sort of cute how she was agitated with Cilan, but to me Georgia was just more annoying than anything.
At least Iris actually responded to Georgia and vice-versa, they had a true rivalry.

With Burgundy and Cilan, not so much.

At least Iris actually responded to Georgia and vice-versa, they had a true rivalry.

Yeah, as a rivalry, I enjoyed theirs. As a character, I hated Georgia, though.

I always enjoyed Burgundy and Cilan's rivalry, though.

I can see how she would come off as annoying and she did have those moments for me too, but the fact that she would actually call Iris out on her flaws made me kind of like her.

Tsutarja said:

They did have more of a rivalry compared to Burgundy and Cilan, but it still wasn't much of anything. It didn't really go anywhere, so I don't think that either one of them had a good rivalry.

They did have more of a rivalry compared to Burgundy and Cilan, but it still wasn't much of anything. It didn't really go anywhere, so I don't think that either one of them had a good rivalry.
That is true, and neither of them got any real closure.

*still hoping for Iris/Georgia and Cilan/Burgundy specials*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom