• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you try to 'catch 'em all'?

Do you try to 'catch 'em all'?

• Total voters

Pidgeot

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
How many people actually try to 'catch 'em all', just like Pokemon's original motto stated? Because seeing as there are now 649 Pokemon, practically five times more than the original 151 Pokemon, I wouldn't think there'd be that many.

However, I'm now trying to do just that, and I'm actually going pretty fast too. Do you try to 'catch 'em all' as well?

I've always tried to catch 'em all, but before online trading and Wi-Fi events in Gen IV it simply wasn't possible due to event Pokémon that were never distributed anywhere near me. Gen IV was still difficult because my router security wasn't compatible, so I always had to go to friends' or neighbors' houses to trade or download events, but in the end I finally completed the National Dex in Diamond. With Gen V game supporting WPA I can finally trade from home, so completing the dex in Black was a lot easier. Of course, I got bored and restarted Black, so now I have to catch' em all over again. :lol:

Gen IV was still difficult because my router security wasn't compatible, so I always had to go to friends' or neighbors' houses to trade or download events, but in the end I finally completed the National Dex in Diamond. With Gen V game supporting WPA I can finally trade from home, so completing the dex in Black was a lot easier. Of course, I got bored and restarted Black, so now I have to catch' em all over again. :lol:
Yeah, my router security wasn't compatible with the Gen IV games either. But still, I don't really need Wi-Fi to complete the National Dex, as I can trade between my other Pokemon games to get them all, including HeartGold.

Gen IV was still difficult because my router security wasn't compatible, so I always had to go to friends' or neighbors' houses to trade or download events, but in the end I finally completed the National Dex in Diamond. With Gen V game supporting WPA I can finally trade from home, so completing the dex in Black was a lot easier. Of course, I got bored and restarted Black, so now I have to catch' em all over again. :lol:
Yeah, my router security wasn't compatible with the Gen IV games either.

Same. I wish I could though.

I succeeded back in my Sapphire version, but never since then. There are a lot more 'mons out there now so it's a different ballgame. Depending on what B2/W2 offer, I might as well try to do it again.

I generally like to just catch, breed, and train the Pokemon I like rather than collecting the entire Pokedex to receive a certificate telling me what I already know. I did do it once, but these days I don't see the point in it for me.

I've tried but never succeed, I got close in heart gold I was only missing 90 pokemon.

I try, but it's really only a minor priority in my book.

I always try to catch all of them and, even to go a step further, have one of each (including Formes, only if it has a different box-sprite) filling my boxes in National Dex order. The closest I ever came was in Platinum, wherein I own one of every Pokémon with the exception of Celebi and three Deoxys (to fill my alt. Forme quota). Took me up until the release of HGSS before I actually even got that far. Of course, now that I've done that, I don't really play Platinum anymore at all and feel that I cannot restart it (don't wanna lose my events). I was working on doing this in Black, but stopped when BW2 were announced - I don't see the point if I'm just going to have to start it all over again - I don't know how I'll handle it then, if I'll bother filling out my boxes, but for now I'll answer with "yes" because that is where I am at presently :)

I was working on doing this in Black, but stopped when BW2 were announced - I don't see the point if I'm just going to have to start it all over again - I don't know how I'll handle it then, if I'll bother filling out my boxes, but for now I'll answer with "yes" because that is where I am at presently :)
Couldn't you just trade the Pokemon from Black to BW2? It might take ages, but it'd be worth it in the end.

I have have every pokemon besides the unreleased three I even have deevoled pokemon even though I have thier evolve form just for the sake of having them all

Couldn't you just trade the Pokemon from Black to BW2? It might take ages, but it'd be worth it in the end.

I probably could, depending on how it is going to work - sorry for going off-topic, but given that BW2 are sequels, I'm a tiny bit worried that the trading mechanics may not be as simple as say trading between DP to Platinum to HGSS, purely because obviously there is going to be a time differential between BW and BW2, makes me think they may have to augment the trading mechanics in order to compensate for that in terms of continuity.

Disregarding trading mechanics... in all honesty, it's not something I've really thought about. Right now, in my Black game, I'll catch what is available in-game and get what is unavailable off the Dream World (if it is on there) and anything else (discounting events, unless I have spares) I'll transfer them over from one of the Gen IV games. I'll probably do the same in BW2, but the overall answer to your question really all depends on what Pokémon are available in those games and if I NEED to trade them over if I was to be "catching 'em all" once more - if they're available in-game and it's going to be just as quick to find and catch them as opposed to trading them over, then I'll choose find and catch any day :)

No, I can't be bothered.
I try to catch 'em all in Generation I. If I was still able to play Generation II then I may try to catch 'em all there. Anything later is just too much work. Not to mention that now there are too many event-exclusive Pokémon, and many can't be obtained through the GTS (additionally, the GTS doesn't even allow you to search for / request Pokémon you haven't seen, so aquiring them would be hard, even if the event Pokémon were compatible with the GTS).

Laterna said:
I probably could, depending on how it is going to work - sorry for going off-topic, but given that BW2 are sequels, I'm a tiny bit worried that the trading mechanics may not be as simple as say trading between DP to Platinum to HGSS, purely because obviously there is going to be a time differential between BW and BW2, makes me think they may have to augment the trading mechanics in order to compensate for that in terms of continuity.

It won't be an issue. Colosseum and XD are five years apart, yet they can both trade with any Gen III game just fine. The only time trading between two different time periods was even addressed was in GS, and those were a completely new generation with new moves and Pokémon. To do so now would just be a needless complication.

I have caught them all! :-D

Well... I don't have Keldeo, Meloetta, or Genesect yet...

I came into pokemon knowing I wouldn't be able to catch them all, because I didn't have anyone to trade with. The closest I got was in the fourth gen, when I finally was able to trade with people online. I was still missing the event legends, which I may never get all of them since no one in their right mind will give them away easily. Right now, I'm missing a couple of trade evos since I took too long to get to the point where I deal with that stuff, so no one was interested anymore. I don't mind not having every pokemon since I don't use them anyway, and what is the point other than bragging rights, which in itself is rather trivial since it's not really hard to do, it just takes either knowing people or having the patience to wait for convenient events. (and most people hack them anyway)

I don't even try to. After all, as N says, there is not point to capturing Pokemon and imprisoning them in Pokeballs when you'll never use them all anyway.

Translation: I don't bother in trying to level them up. -_-

It won't be an issue. Colosseum and XD are five years apart, yet they can both trade with any Gen III game just fine. The only time trading between two different time periods was even addressed was in GS, and those were a completely new generation with new moves and Pokémon. To do so now would just be a needless complication.

With all due respect, you don't know that it won't be an issue - we know next-to-nothing about these games and thereby cannot pass opinion as fact. I feel the need to remain open to the possibility that the trading mechanics between BW and their sequels may be slightly different to what we are used to between games of the same generation due to the time gap that is likely to exist between the two sets of games. Also, given the possibility, regardless of how slight, that BW2 introduce new Pokémon, there would have to be some augmentations to the trading mechanic in order to compensate for the difference in available Pokémon, which, if memory serves, was the main reason why GS introduced the time machine trading mechanic as a way of canonically justifying why Pokémon like Hoppip couldn't be sent over to RBGY. BW2, if they do introduce new Pokémon, may have to install a similar feature for similar reasons.

On that note, if BW2 does introduce some new Pokémon, I probably will attempt to "catch 'em all" for the simple reason that they are new and interesting and worthy of a bit more attention - I have noticed in my Black game that I do own one of every Pokémon in my box from the new Unova set, but with regards to collecting the other generations, I haven't been as diligent with it and I think that is largely to do with my desire to explore the new Pokémon in larger detail, by catching them all, seeing all their Dex entries, seeing their box sprites and seeing them with the rest of their evolutionary relatives and counterparts.

"I dreamed of capturing all the world's Pokémon...and I succeeded".

Seriously. My Pokémon is:
Seen: 646
Own: 646
All I need are Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect. Whenever a new generation comes out, I make sure to catch all of the new Pokémon; once you get on top, once a new generation comes out it's easy.

In all my 13 years of playing Pokémon though, I have only ever completed the Pokédex in Diamond and in White.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom