• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP143: Jōto Festa! Enter Chicorita and Waninoko!! ・ DP144: Dungeon Capture!? The Valley Powerplant!

Re: "Jouto Festa! Chicorita & Waninoko Appear!!" & "Dungeon Capture!? The Valley Pwrp

It showed it with the lighthouse when Kotone was talking about the Jouto region.. I don't know if anything specifically mentioned, but it is safe to assume since it was shown with the lighthouse.

If we saw an Ampharos in a lighthouse there's no doubt at all! That's Sparkle (or Amphy in the games, too bad 4Kids didn't catch this)

I come back next week, so the episode guide for next week might be late.

I'm pretty sure next week is a break and then the week after is another double

Re: "Jouto Festa! Chicorita & Waninoko Appear!!" & "Dungeon Capture!? The Valley Pwrp

That's Olivine's lighthouse and Sparkle, no doubt
It's really nice to see all these Johto references there... I think we see Eckrutic there too... and is that the MooMoo Milk there? they also said the new ED is sung by "MooMoo Milk" XD

Sakura's sisters?

I'm sure they looked way different than that... so I guess these seen here are supposed to be exactly the ones from the games, while Sakura's sisters are more "based on them but not exactly them"

Bulbapedia said we saw Sparkle (Olivine City's Ampharos, Amphy in the games) in the first ep too
So it's another Johto cameo/reference in this ep
Surprised no one mentioned it here
I really want to watch these episodes... can somone please PM me and help?

Wait a sec- was Amphy in the HGSS games because it was hardly mentioned in them?
Soundless versions are on YT (not posting any links). For episodes with sound, I can't help you there.

Wait a sec- was Amphy in the HGSS games because it was hardly mentioned in them?

I didn't play HGSS but I believe Amphy is there in the same place and the same story as it was in GSC

Soundless versions are on YT (not posting any links). For episodes with sound, I can't help you there.

Yeah I found the soundless... but it's annoying to watch like that
Thanks anyway

Keep in mind that in HGSS, Kimono Girls' Pokemon were switched (for example, Sakura trained Flareon, not Espeon as in GSC) and Sumomo even got a name-change into Komomo. So, it's debatable whether they're the same characters even in the games!

What's strange about Dawn's Cyndaquil is that it was immediately able to activate its flame, it took Ash's a couple episodes to do that.

So just because one Pokemon displays or lacks a certain ability, that means that every Pokemon of that species must be exactly the same? -_-

I'm going to agree with Gravy on this one... It did seem like a HGSS advertisement.

I really hope all you guys who have clamoured over a GS remake are happy.

Now I'm not really fluent in Japanese, but why exactly was Kotone given much importance in the Jotho festival? (Appearing on TV and all)

Is she supposed to be a chosen representitive/spokesperson?

I watched the first ep and it was great! Johtooooooo <3
We see Koto's Hive and Plain badges (and she says their names and what Gym they're from)
Then on that screen Koto talked about Ecruteak City (we see the tower and kimono girls) Goldenrod City (we don't really see anything special about it but we see it for a second) Olivine City (we see the lighthouse and Sparkle/Amphy) and Blackthorn City (Clair and Dragonair)
Kotone has a pink version of the new HGSS Johto Pokédex... she scan Pip
Kazunari has a red version of it... he scans Carnivine as he's excited to see it and Koto is all like "at such time he's doing that..." (during TRio battle) that was funny and showed how "nerd" Kazu and how cool Koto is (and it looks like the whole ep Kazu is afraid or something and Koto is telling him what to do)
Both also have the new HGSS Pokégear (red/pink and blue) and I liked how they used it to talk with each other... the idea to use Marill and Toto's Water Gun to find each other was nice
They did mention MooMoo Milk? I think they did... (and for sure we see some milk there) and while they didn't mention anything we clearly see these items related to Apricorn in HGSS (that planter thing, the thing used to make "Aprishake" as I call it now)
Ash says how Johto is "nostalgic" or something
A lot of Johto references/continuity - I like it! ^__^
The Dawn VS Koto battle was too short but it was still nice... the egg hatched extremely fast but whatever, I already like that Cynda! Dawn didn't even finish to tell it her name and it burned her hair XD (oh and there wasn't a tournament or something, Koto just chose Dawn from the audience to battle her and said there's a present)
I think Koto call Dawn Pikarin (or is it Pikari like Kenny?) or Hikarin or something and Dawn corrects her to Hikari
Toto doesn't want Kazu's Poké food and Brock does something similar as with that Butterfree with Professor Ivy and then Toto eats
At the end of the ep Kazu and Koto tell Kazu's dad they want to stay a little with the group- Koto to see the Suiren Contest and Kazu to learn from the great breeder Brock
Oh and Kazu's Toto is very different than its trainer, it went there and returned the egg for the twerps XD
And I liked Teddy crying after Jessie scream at it XD I thought she'd "fall in love" with it and forgive it but instead she didn't care about it at all and Ursaring came to kill her XD
Oh I LOVE JOHTO ^________^
I probably forgot a lot of other stuff to say but that's it for now
Can't wait to watch the second ep!
I like Johto! I like Koto! ahhhhhh!!!$@#%$#^$#%2532rwdf

Kotone seems like an interesting character, but almost all characters are fun in their first appearance and then get rather dull later on. But since she's not a main character we probably won't be seeing much of her.

Her hair actually reminds me of May somewhat, mostly because of the brown.

Yes. Ash already completed his Johto journey like three years ago.

Kotone happened to be a trainer that competes in the Johto Gym Battles. There's no way that Ash and Kotone could be rivals. So far what I seen is that Kotone befriends with Ash,Dawn,and Brock. She interacts with Dawn the most. I bet that Kotone tease Dawn about her liking to Ash. Its cool that Dawn owns a Cyndyquil and its already knows Flame Wheel.

She already has, than from what I gather the narrator said she'd be playing cupid....I have a feeling shey'll keep teasing Dawn about it for a while till she leaves.

DP 143
Well I thought the episode was pretty good it was the first time I got mad at team rocket because they tried to steal a pokemon I actually like I though it was pretty good but a little annoying with the Johto references for us veterinarian pokemon watchers. Team Rocket must have forgotten that there are more legendaries in Sinnoh then Johto. Dawn getting hit by Cyndaquils flame was hilarious.
DP144
Well let's just say the half hour I watched it went by pretty quickly

This episode reminded me of the one were Ash's chicorita evolved but I don't remember the title

Last edited:

I think Dogasu or someone here was wrong and I went with their mistake
Koto has Zephyr badge from Violet and not Plain from Goldenrod

DP143 is a somewhat good episode but I would have to give it a lower score if it weren't just a blatant HGSS advertisement (hell the FPC is doing the lecture but she only has TWO badges). We got to see Chikorita and Totodile as expected. Basically the plot of the episode; a battle for a pokemon egg, Dawn wins the egg, TR steals the egg, group gets it back, it hatches. Wow. That happened before, right? Animation-wise, the episode was off. I thought the kimono girls and Clair were ugh.

I thought DP144 was very meh; not necessarily a good episode to end the special with. It seems to me that Cyndaquil is now a "mascot" along with Pikachu and Piplup meaning we'll probably see it outside its Poke Ball more often. I liked the first three minutes of the episode with Cyndaquil VS Grotle. Other than that, I didn't like the episode. BTW this is probably a different "Valley Windworks" since we really have not seen the two Nurse Joy kids.

Is it just me, or does the guy who wears glasses look like he could be related to Conway?

I watched the second ep and it was great too! ^__^
I noticed Kotone tends to says her name a lot... or a word that sounds very similar to her name... I guess it's kind of like May's "kamo" in Japanese and Dawn's "daijoubu"/"no need to worry" thing but explanation about this can be nice

All the ridiculous people who continued to bash Pip because of Cynda just were proved as crazy haters - Cynda was VERY rude to poor Pip who tried to be friendly with it... Cynda only got from Pip what it deserves to get after it acted so rude

Of course - I don't complain about Cynda either... I like them both and the fact their personalities/relationship are like that and not HEY WE'RE FRIENDS HAPPY HAPPY BORING is exactly why I like them and why I think people cimplaining about this are ridiculous (especially if they blame Pip where it's clearly Cynda who started this for no reason at all)

I like how it seems like Koto is annoyed by Kazu being a coward nerd and admires the brave Ash XD
That old man was funny XD and what's up with that Marill? randomly running away and enter random places? XD

And wow, people totally exaggerated with the Cynda/Grotle battle - Grotle wasn't even close to lose that... so what if Cynda can battle decently? remember Happiny? it was super strong the moment it hatched

And... it looked like the Pokégear can give information about a place when you "scan" the place similar to the Pokédex 0__0

I really liked these two episodes and I LOVE Koto and Cynda! even Kazu is nice and a little refreshing than our typical brave heroes

hell the FPC is doing the lecture but she only has TWO badges

Why the Johto does it matter what's her age is or how many badges she has?
She's a girl from Johto who probably lived there all her life and apparently know a lot about the region

It seems to me that Cyndaquil is now a "mascot" along with Pikachu and Piplup

It won't be a real mascot like Pika/Pip but it'll probably appear a lot

Is it just me, or does the guy who wears glasses look like he could be related to Conway?

So all the people who are "nerds" or have glasses are related to each other?

I watched the second ep and it was great too! ^__^
I noticed Kotone tends to says her name a lot... or a word that sounds very similar to her name... I guess it's kind of like May's "kamo" in Japanese and Dawn's "daijoubu"/"no need to worry" thing but explanation about this can be nice

She seems to say "-tte koto ne" at the end a lot.. I don't think it can be really translated into english.. maybe loosely something like "you know what I mean?", but to me it's really annoying.. when characters have these nonsense speech patterns it makes it hard for me to take them seriously, especially considering she's basically saying her own name all the time.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom