• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP87 title

Psyduck is pretty much Misty's best known Pokemon, though. It'd be like Brock catching his own Pikachu.
I'm pretty sure that title goes to Togepi. Koduck is well known, but so are Fushigidane and Zenigame.

Yeah. Because I don't see a point of omitting them and replacing with boring mumbo-jumbo filler stories which minimalise the anime's correspondence to games.

Why do you say that when they'll just be as worthless as any other filler? You make absolutely no sense in your words. You always contradict yourself when you say that.

Yeah, the anime is based on the games, not the games shown on TV. The show's writers are as entitled to diverge from the main games plot as any other show or movie based on a book/game/radio show. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is probably the ultimate case in point there.

For the break thing, I'd say the reason we're annoyed is because DP has had more breaks since it started than we got in like two years of AG. Or at least it feels like it. I admit I didn't keep track of when the breaks were in AG, but it seems like we've been getting a break nearly every month with DP, and I don't remember them being that frequent with AG.

Why do you say that when they'll just be as worthless as any other filler? You make absolutely no sense in your words. You always contradict yourself when you say that.

No. They won't be as worthless. Seeing something from games is always better than repetitive stories which don't have anything to do with Pokemon games and spoil the anime-to-game correspondence. They have enough "space" to adapt all the game's plots and yet, crowd in some filler stories, so I really don't know why they choose to crowd in more fillers instead of keeping close to the game, which they are supposed to do.

And I don't know why do you say that I'm contradicting myself.

Anime-Made Fillers < Game-Based Episodes

And I was always saying that.

I am glad they actually adapted this game detail, but they already omitted too many things. If the Pokemon Special could adapt them, why anime can't? DP may be a bit more close to games than Kanto, but Kanto at least had good fillers. Now, we're getting hundreds of worthless fillers, which are sometimes rehashes of old episodes.

Maxim, I'm curious. Which would you prefer: a really great episode that isn't based off anything from the games or a really sucky episode based directly off something from the games?

Anyway, I do want to see Cynthia again, assuming she's in it.

Maxim, I'm curious. Which would you prefer: a really great episode that isn't based off anything from the games or a really sucky episode based directly off something from the games?

Anyway, I do want to see Cynthia again, assuming she's in it.

If it features a character from games which could be omitted if the episode wasn't shown, then I would prefer the game-based episode.

I hate omissions in anime. There is nothing wrong with fillers if they DON'T REPLACE the actual parts from game.

And really, you all act like you didn't play games. The DP is not boring! It has many awesome plots, and anime can adapt them really well. Not everything which is from games must be sucky, and it'll be surely better than a rehash of old Johto filler.

Last edited:
I admit I didn't keep track of when the breaks were in AG, but it seems like we've been getting a break nearly every month with DP, and I don't remember them being that frequent with AG.
You are more correct than you seem to realize: In the first two years of its airing (November 2002-November 2004) AG had as little as two breaks (the last December episodes of 2002 and 2003). Since its debut 21 months ago, the DP series has had 21 breaks, which were only partially balanced by 14 same-day airings (13 if the clip show is not counted). Considering that most fans consider same-day airings to be poor compensation for breaks, the difference is rather overwhelming.

For the record, AG had 9 breaks and 3 same-day airings in its last two years (22 months, if to be precise).

It's extremely strange! Ash defeats Fantina in the episode of his arrival and then begins heading to Celestic Town in the next episode? How abnormal it is! They give us the contest and the tag battle tournament the last time, and now, they have nothing to give us apart from the Gym battle! LOL!
So we can now be expecting an extremely high quality Gym battle. Otherwise, they will disappoint us!

I already figured they'd head for Celestic first (that's what you do in the games), then get back to Hearthome for the Gym Battle.

Oh yeah! Thank you. I have forgotten it totally! I have gone too mad. I should read your post first before posting anything next time. XD

I don't understand why everyone's so upset over these breaks. TV Tokyo's been doing multiple summer breaks for ages...why wait until NOW to start complaining about them?

You are more correct than you seem to realize: In the first two years of its airing (November 2002-November 2004) AG had as little as two breaks (the last December episodes of 2002 and 2003). Since its debut 21 months ago, the DP series has had 21 breaks, which were only partially balanced by 14 same-day airings (13 if the clip show is not counted). Considering that most fans consider same-day airings to be poor compensation for breaks, the difference is rather overwhelming.

For the record, AG had 9 breaks and 3 same-day airings in its last two years (22 months, if to be precise)..

lolwut?

I'm pretty sure that title goes to Togepi. Koduck is well known, but so are Fushigidane and Zenigame.

Maybe. I think Togepi and Psyduck are about even there. Misty would certainly be the first trainer to be associated with either of them. It would be damn weird if Brock got o ne of Misty's signature Pokemon.

Plus, what point is there to Brock catching a Psyduck? There's no 4th Gen evo (or in Bulbasaur and Squirtle's case, new game version) to showcase.

What was the point of a 4th gen turning into a 2n gen only like 13 episodes into the 4th gen series? Maybe the writers will remember Brock has a Happiny and evolve it.

Sudowoodo and Happiny at least have evolution lines within the 4th Gen. Psyduck doesn't have that, well that we know of.

Indeed. "Multiple summer breaks" is a a formula entirely unique to Diamond and Pearl, although there is really nothing summer-specific about it. In regard to AG, the 2005 and 2006 summer seasons each only had one break allotted for the airing of the preceding year's movie. There were no summer breaks in either 2003 or 2004.

Incidentally, the original series only had 6 breaks over its entire run (with the obvious exception of the Porygon fiasco). It was Johto that introduced the tradition of a late-December break, which began in 2000 and has been done ever since. There was one summer break in 1999 and another in 2000, but whether or not those were used for televised movie broadcasts, it was only in 2005 that they returned.

If to make a long story short, Diamond and Pearl's large concentration of breaks is unprecedented. Some fans seem to think that nothing has changed over the years and that even the ratings have not gone down - those fans are wrong.

Or, maybe things like Baseball or Naruto trump Pokemon in popularity now, so more breaks are expendable. It's the same reason why there are no ads for new Pokemon DP Battle Dimensions on Cartoon Network. If you have been watching, you already know it's new, but if haven't been watching it the past 10 years, another promo isn't gonna help.

You make baseball and Naruto out to be more popular than they have ever been. It is not as if only Pokémon's popularity has remained the same and everything else has benefited from a boost.

Last edited:
Regardless, breaks are nothing new to Pokemon. The idea that "people have only just now started watching the Japanese version" when they've been watching it for years is bullshit.

Funny thing is, last night's break wasn't even for baseball or Naruto. They just showed a two hour comedy variety show.

But look at Unown Lord's data analysis. Breaks are more frequent in DP than they have been in the past. And I definately remember there being complaining about breaks last year, if only because of all the tenth anniversary hour-long specials that only had one actual episode.

As for Pokémon and Naruto, they have been perfectly balanced. Neither is getting more airtime than the other. I repeat, this Naruto special is the Thursday before the movie release and serves the same purpose as the airing of movie 10 on July 17.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom