• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Fire Emblem Fates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't mind the children aspect as long as they are implemented in a way that makes sense. Besides, it's been done right in the other two instances that kids were recruited in FE (Genealogy had a second half that takes place years later, and the time travel in Awakening was well implemented and thought out). Besides, some of the kids look adorable.

As for the incest part, this is where I draw the line somewhat, especially with the Hoshidan siblings; they're the avatar's blood siblings, after all. For the Nohr siblings... their family adopted the avatar, so it's still up in the air. Either way, that won't affect my husband choice, as he is not part of either royal family, but still.

In support conversations,Odin,Lazward and Luna are confirmed to be Severa,Inigo and Owain.In Lazward/Inigo and Odin/Owain's supports with each other,they recall Grima destroying their time,going back in time and finding their mothers,and then destroying Grima.They also end up calling each other their real names as well.Luna also mentions her real name to Corrin in their supports.AND NOW I WANT NOHR SO I CAN MARRY INIGO AGAIN.

okay, there's apparently incest in the game. I'm assuming the avatar can reproduce with them, which is fucked up for health reasons. I guess that sort of bothers me, but besides that I don't get what the big deal is about incest in general. Is the sort of thing which is apparently bad just because it makes people a little uncomfortable. Bloody plebs.

meanwhile I'm rather happy about gay marriage being a thing nyow, is unfortunate it's only possible with one character of each gender, they could have standed to make at least two or three homos of each gender, but I guess it's the principle that counts? Maybe DLC will fix that.

I find it funny that dating/marrying/fucking underage characters is fine, but incest is "wow, that is crossing the line". Incest might make you feel uncomfortable, but there is nothing wrong about it as long as both parties are adults/responsible for their acts.

I find it funny that dating/marrying/fucking underage characters is fine, but incest is "wow, that is crossing the line". Incest might make you feel uncomfortable, but there is nothing wrong about it as long as both parties are adults/responsible for their acts.

When did I ever say that I was okay with marrying underage characters? All this crud is messed up, if you ask me. Also, maybe people have an issue with incest because of both culture norms AND the fact that inbred children tend to have... issues. Mentally and physically. Also, the fact that it's inbreeding does NOT change with time, unlike the whole "underage" thing.

Granted, I'm not excusing any of it, and I get the feeling this was done just to appease the shippers.

Also, I was told that this game takes place in a different universe than Awakening, so why are Severa, Inigo and Owain returning under different names and the same backstory? Is this a separate universe or not?!

In support conversations,Odin,Lazward and Luna are confirmed to be Severa,Inigo and Owain.In Lazward/Inigo and Odin/Owain's supports with each other,they recall Grima destroying their time,going back in time and finding their mothers,and then destroying Grima.They also end up calling each other their real names as well.Luna also mentions her real name to Corrin in their supports.AND NOW I WANT NOHR SO I CAN MARRY INIGO AGAIN.

Wasn't expecting those three to be returning FE:A characters, to be honest. Now that it's the case, I'm takimg Luna being Severa with a grain of salt. She better not be what she was like back in Awakening. Back then, I found her near impossible to tolerate; I remember leaving Cordelia unmarried during most of my playthroughs because of this.

As for the two guys, I'm okay with them coming back. However, Odin/Owain cannot talk about his sword hand anymore; it's now his tome hand that twitches. :XD:

Not sure why Inigo chose the name Lazward for himself, though. It sounds... random.

As for the gay option, I welcome it. It gives variety, and it will make the LGBT members happy that they're represented. Too bad it's restricted to one option for each gender, but it's a step in the right direction.

Personally, I don't mind the children aspect as long as they are implemented in a way that makes sense. Besides, it's been done right in the other two instances that kids were recruited in FE (Genealogy had a second half that takes place years later, and the time travel in Awakening was well implemented and thought out). Besides, some of the kids look adorable.

Yeah, but where in this game do children fit in? They're literally shoehorned in this time, with no explanation for how they come to be. It can't be a big time skip because the parents don't age. And IS can't be dumb enough to do time travel crap two games in a row.

The gay marriage thing, I'm mixed about. I don't like it because I don't like homosexuality. I don't hate gay/lesbian/bisexual people, I just prefer shipping heterosexual pairings. But on the other hand, it would be unfair to said people to keep them from being able to pick an Avatar of their gender and get with a character of the same gender. So yeah...

No one better start calling me homophobic simply because I'm not into homosexual romances.

Wasn't expecting those three to be returning FE:A characters, to be honest. Now that it's the case, I'm takimg Luna being Severa with a grain of salt. She better not be what she was like back in Awakening. Back then, I found her near impossible to tolerate; I remember leaving Cordelia unmarried during most of my playthroughs because of this.

As for the two guys, I'm okay with them coming back. However, Odin/Owain cannot talk about his sword hand anymore; it's now his tome hand that twitches. :XD:

Not sure why Inigo chose the name Lazward for himself, though. It sounds... random.

Willing to bet Owain may have wanted Inigo to have that name.

If Severa's personality does change,I think I'll pair her with Xander in a male Nohr playthrough.If it isn't changed,she'll be benched.

EDIT:Odin can reclass into Samurai,A.K.A. the Myrmidon class.Heheh.

You can also make Ryouma ride a pegasus and Xander ride a wyvern.

Last edited:
I'm reporting a good omen - the title screen does not use the Fire Emblem theme. As much as I like that theme, the last time it wasn't on the title screen was in Path of Radiance, which in my opinion was by far and away the best FE to date. So I guess we can take this as a good sign. At least something looks promising, however minor, compared to the more worrying news for other aspects of the game.

Yeah, but where in this game do children fit in? They're literally shoehorned in this time, with no explanation for how they come to be. It can't be a big time skip because the parents don't age. And IS can't be dumb enough to do time travel crap two games in a row.

I sincerely hope it's not time travel. In Awakening, it felt out of place and was riddled with plot-holes and other stuff that made no sense. I'm hoping IS have something intelligent planned this time, though I'm not sure what would work. Really, only a time-skip, or using the children as special characters in (possibly non-canon) bonus missions, akin to Awakening's spotpass paralogues.

You say children can just be ignored or avoided, but I'm in doubt as to what extent that can be the case. In Awakening, they were recruited through bonus missions, but as that wouldn't work for the Nohr campaign, that's not really an option. Even if you bench a child and refuse to acknowledge them, they're still there. Unless they're only recruited when using a setting you can switch off (rather unlikely), your only real option to ignore them entirely is to deliberately get them killed, which isn't preferable either.

The gay marriage thing, I'm mixed about. I don't like it because I don't like homosexuality. I don't hate gay/lesbian/bisexual people, I just prefer shipping heterosexual pairings. But on the other hand, it would be unfair to said people to keep them from being able to pick an Avatar of their gender and get with a character of the same gender. So yeah...

No one better start calling me homophobic simply because I'm not into homosexual romances.

No, I agree with you. You're not being homophobic - saying you are would be a very harsh and unreasonable over-reaction to this. So don't worry about it.

I think in theory, it's fair enough that players have an option for a homosexual romance, if they want. My concern is that it doesn't really fit well into Fire Emblem. Let's face it - it may not be an actual historical setting, but it's close enough. Reasonably speaking, people wouldn't have developed enough understanding of homosexual relations for them to be properly acceptable in-universe. Society needs to reach a certain stage before any sort of minorities get considered, and this shouldn't be an exception. Making fantasy and historical settings politically correct is all very well for covering your own back, but it doesn't make sense so much in-universe, which is what's more important.

It's more of an issue now that marriage is an actual thing in-game. Radiant Dawn had Heather, who was all but explicitly stated to be lesbian, but it worked then because it didn't matter. The sort of mediaeval-esque world Fire Emblem's set in wouldn't have an acceptance or any traditions for homosexual marriage for the reasons above, but because in-game marriage wasn't a thing then (except in some character endings), this wasn't an issue. Now that there's an obligation to give equal marriage rights based on sensible modern values, rather than mediaeval ones more realistic and fitting for the setting, there's more that can go wrong. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good and important to show an appreciation and awareness of homosexuality, but still, they need to be careful how they play this out.

Actually, it does give them an opportunity to sneak in some extra world-building, if they play this right. I just hope they do actually do a good job of this, but I'm concerned they're just going to try to be as politically correct as possible, however little sense it makes given the setting. To clarify, I'm overall for the inclusion of homosexual characters much more than I'm against them, I just think Intelligent Systems need to be very careful and clever about how this is done.

The incest is somewhat strange (and confusing considering you literally couldn't marry siblings in Awakening...cousins yeah, but I would rather cousins over siblings any day). But it is, like many other things (children, Phoenix mode, the one yaoi/yuri pairing per game, etc.) ignorable. No one is forcing you to do any of those things if you don't want to, because you don't have to S-Support anyone if you don't want to and even if you do, I imagine you aren't forced to get their children similar to Awakening when you can ignore their Paralogues. You don't have to marry Zero if you're a guy or not!Tharja if you're a girl or any of the kid characters if you don't want to. And you certainly don't have to marry your siblings on either side (imo, most people who were clamoring for/are doing that are mostly doing it for the lulz).

So, point of all of that was to say that I think this will be a fine game and that these things mentioned above shouldn't be reason enough to lose hope for this being a good game~ The people I've seen who're watching the streams and whatnot say the game is fantastic on both sides (aside from apparently no black dress in Nohr) and just because there are some things that look unfavorable to you, shouldn't be enough to scrap it, especially since they're optional~

Major spoilers about the incest thing.
They are not actually your siblings on either sides, you are not related by blood to anyone in the game, well except for your child unit.

Last edited:
At first I wanted to go Hoshido, but now I'm not sure what side to do first. Main reason? Both sides have adorable little sisters. I have feelings for both of those young ladies. Why must the decision be so hard... :boom:

Major spoilers about the incest thing.
They are not actually your siblings on either sides, you are not related by blood to anyone in the game, well except for your child unit.

That's reassuring to hear. Was uncertain about it at first. :phew:

Still seems awkward, since they are regarded as siblings...

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard that too, but both sides are still treated like your siblings, which still makes it very weird. If you think it's okay for someone to marry someone that's not a blood relative, even if they're still called your sibling, you're saying I should be allowed to marry one of my stepbrothers who I grew up with. But people certainly would take an issue with that. I know I would.

@Lord Kyuubi;: Thanks, I'm glad you don't see me as homophobic.

Yeah, I heard that too, but both sides are still treated like your siblings, which still makes it very weird. If you think it's okay for someone to marry someone that's not a blood relative, even if they're still called your sibling, you're saying I should be allowed to marry one of my stepbrothers who I grew up with. But people certainly would take an issue with that. I know I would.

I am guessing you are talking to me with that statement. Also you should probably spoiler that for people who don't know about it yet.

I never said that I didn't find it weird, I am just saying it is a little better then actual incest. And you are allowed to marry step siblings even now in the U.S.

Spoiler what? I didn't say anything major about either version of the game.

And I personally don't think you should be allowed to marry step siblings. I call my stepbrothers my brothers. And I'm not going to marry someone I call my brother or sister. That's just no.

Spoiler what? I didn't say anything major about either version of the game.

And I personally don't think you should be allowed to marry step siblings. I call my stepbrothers my brothers. And I'm not going to marry someone I call my brother or sister. That's just no.

You basically restate some things that I felt the need to spoiler in my post, I am not saying that you have to, I am just saying it would be considerate to other people.

There is no major genetic overlap so there shouldn't be any real problems in doing so, other then the social stigma it is perfectly fine.

There is no major genetic overlap so there shouldn't be any real problems in doing so, other then the social stigma it is perfectly fine.

Doesn't matter. If someone was raised as my brother and I his sister, we're still siblings, just not by blood. I'm not marrying a sibling and I won't marry fictional characters to their siblings, blood relatives or not. This is my view, okay?

Doesn't matter. If someone was raised as my brother and I his sister, we're still siblings, just not by blood. I'm not marrying a sibling and I won't marry fictional characters to their siblings, blood relatives or not. This is my view, okay?

I never said that it wasn't your view and I wouldn't marry a step sibling either, I was just stating a genetic fact, I never said you had to marry your fictional character to their siblings either.

I never said that it wasn't your view and I wouldn't marry a step sibling either, I was just stating a genetic fact, I never said you had to marry your fictional character to their siblings either.

And I was just saying that genetics don't matter to me in this case. I don't see what the problem is.

I hear the maps + Dragon's Vein are pretty good (especially in Nohr) so that's one thing I'm looking forward to. Awakening didn't really seem to step out of the comfort zone that much re: maps so I'd like to see what If/Fates brings. I've been ignoring any streams of the games, mostly because I want to go into the maps not knowing what to expect and plan my strategy from there, rather than knowing how it all will be beforehand and having an advantage (it's a long time away still, but my memory will have flashbacks I'm sure lol).

Stoked that Odin is actually Owain too, rather than some look-alikey doppelganger. His supports were always fun to read and he's p much my favourite Awakening character; it's a shame, however, that Odin-Owain is wearing such a dumb outfit. Seems like there's a fair bit of dumb-outfit-itis going around in the game tho.

Not too bothered for most of the children so far honestly, they look pretty bland. But Harold's kid - AKA MINI CAPTAIN AMERICA - is hilarious (in a good way) and amazing. I hope he has some classic support conversations and quotes. Also Inigo/Lazward's daughter looks so much like him :O And Severa can be the mother of the Cordelia clone which is... bizarre and mindfuck territory.

If any of you guys want to see all the playable/recruitable characters I saw this posted over on SF which gives a good look at them: Amie - Album on Imgur Though I'm not sure which route some of them are on as it doesn't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom