• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'd really hoped we were past the point where we declare games 'poor' because some characters personally annoy us or certain Pokemon has an improved catch rate, but no, that's still going, and we haven't learned the word 'subjective' yet? Ok, carry on *__*

I guess in the grand scheme of things Gen 7 happening next year isn't entirely mental. 2016 does mark 3 years since Gen 6. Some previous gens have had a 3 year gap, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. My biggest problem with that is that Kalos just doesn't feel finished yet. And no, throwing a bunch of Zygarde content at the anime - which many of the game players don't even watch - doesn't count as finishing it. Maybe GF truly are going to break their pattern of a third version/sequel. I'd be sad if that happened, though, because I feel like Kalos has so much more to offer before the next gen comes along to upstage it. GF focused on making Gen 6 cosmetic in XY, and I understand and support that, what with the jump to 3D taken into consideration. But in a 3rd version or sequel so much content could've been added to match the cosmetics, making it beautiful and brilliant, and to deprive Kalos of that would be so cruel.

I other words, when we're trying to predict Z with the information, we have to take consideration much of that info exposed in the anime. What has been seen cannot be unseen, and I feel that for the game plotlines to be more unpredictable and unspoiled by the anime showcase, there would be quite a lot of differences between the Anime plotline. Perhaps the games in store could not totally revolve around Zygarde at all, and Zygarde is a side thing... Maybe the new games could revolve around "Primal Xerneas" and "Primal Yveltal" as 2 sequals in that regard.

Of course, that's speculation! ^_^

Why would the new games revolve around Xerneas and Yveltal? They already mascots of XY games. It is pretty clear that Zygarde is the main focus for the next game but Xerneas and Yveltal could play some part in the plot.

I find most of these ideas underwhelming or simply contrived.
And I find a third version remarkably underwhelming and a waste of time relative to a new generation. What's your point?

Yes, because Blue, Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and B2/W2 were all so underwhelming and a waste of time when compared to THEIR successors. -_- Please, continue.

Anyways, GameFreak has never coincided their releases with Nintendo's consoles. Pretty much every generation has come at the end of their console's lifespan except Generation 4. Why should Generation 7 be any different? The 2016 marker at the Pokémon Go conference clearly meant... Oh, I don't know... Pokémon Go itself?

I find most of these ideas underwhelming or simply contrived. It seems like a game version of "Arceus and the Jewel of Life" with all the time-hopping. I'd rather get a short paragraph of lore on the official website than something so... reductive.
I don't think reductive means what you think it means if you think a "short paragraph of lore" is less reductive than an eShop game that explores it in-depth.

I definitely know what reductive means, dear. And if we're going to get a watered-down, crude wrap-up to the generation, I'd rather it be a paragraph, than a game that I'd still have to pay for and wouldn't be as complete an experience as a full game. Lesser of two evils, since I wouldn't have to shell out my valuable money for a paragraph.

Not to mention the plot fixes no problems with X and Y but instead sends us back to the past to only partially see the few interesting moments through an app rather than experience them fully in a complete game.

I think what I'm worrying isn't that alternative plotlines won't be made - but the fact that it is the Anime that is creating the plotline on Zygarde first before the potential games.
if there is going to be a Z, or any Zygarde-focused game for that matter, to be released in 2016, it's more or less towards the end phases of development (ie., the scenario has already been written).

What bothers me is that for gen 7 to happen, February would have a gen 7 mon, or like Mewtwo,a gen 7 Mega. Your telling me not even 13 episodes in to the new anime cycle we would be hit with such a bombshell, with no word of games after all the time since now, the revealing o Kalos's trio master? It does not line up, there is nothing that makes sense in such a move. At least with gen 4, we know after HGSS the gen had to be ending, Zoroarkand its movie did not hurt because it was before the league, it was bearable. Now though, its a whole other ballgame.

Sorry, but in what world was ORAS "poor"?
Most fans think Z should make up for the poor performance of XY, not ORAS...

You forgot to add "in my opinion..." :)

In my opinion, ORAS is really good, probably the best game sofar.

ORAS was poor because of the following: No gym leader rematches, no Battle Frontier, limited pokemon teams in secret bases, poor post game content, the majority of Emerald stuff was left out, Zinnia was annoying, Rayquaza was easy to catch, mascots are version exclusive, Latias/Latios was just given to you, 1000 flags for Garchomp's mega stone, win all master ranks and beat Lisia of contests to get Lucario's mega stone, no rival rematches after post game, all non-event pokemon made available which leaves nothing for the next game, too many legendary pokemon, Jirachi not included while Deoxys was and etc.

Anyway, I consider XY games the best of gen 6 and I think Z would do even better. Z won't have any new pokemon because ORAS had ruined that possibility but it would expand on the story and I would like to see both Xerneas and Yveltal in the game together like Emerald or Platinum.

Uhh... You still refuse to use the word OPINION in your comment. You should use it... And most of this is your personal ranting rather than objective reasoning.

I agree about no Frontier, but you get the Resort instead and that is still very cool. Also, the lack of a Battle Frontier is a general GF decision, not something strictly ORAS related, if Masuda was saying the truth, the Frontier isn't viable for the future, not only ORAS but in general...

I agree about no gym rematches, this is your only real valid point. It was simple to include and they should've. However, all Pokemon games miss one feature or an other, there is no one game that has every feature... for example, B2W2 lacked trainer rematches and a device like the Vs seeker... and it's still considered one of the most complete games, cause it compensates it's few flaws with many things no other game had. Same with ORAS.

All your other complaints are your personal ranting... You rant about ORAS giving you legendaries too easily, but you also dislike it is more challenging to get a few megastones. This is contradictory. Also, you can get these megastones in a trade lol.

You even criticize ORAS for having too many legendaries. Lol Don't get them if you don't care. Others do.

A barren post game... Are you serious!? It has a lengthy post game... If it is not interesting to you, it doesn't mean it's not there.

Same with all your other reasons for disliking ORAS, all personal issues that you have and I don't.

No rival rematches? You get to team up with your rival in the Battle Maison instead which is better imo. You even think ORAS sucks for leaving no legendaries for the next game. I mean seriously? How is having more Legendaries a bad thing...

I like X and love ORAS. But you seem to dislike ORAS for some reasons that sound ridiculous to me personally.

I don't intend to change your opinion, just don't forget that it's only your subjective opinion... Peace :)

Last edited:
I definitely know what reductive means, dear. And if we're going to get a watered-down, crude wrap-up to the generation, I'd rather it be a paragraph, than a game that I'd still have to pay for and wouldn't be as complete an experience as a full game. Lesser of two evils, since I wouldn't have to shell out my valuable money for a paragraph.

"I know what reductive means"--proceeds to give example illustrating the opposite.

What Silktree suggested is a legitimate genre of games, known as visual novels. Maybe you've heard of them? Phoenix Wright, 999, Hotel Dusk--all critically acclaimed, and the former two having released themselves as "lesser games" on the iOS--so yeah, full fledged quality games can, in fact, sell for under $10.

A watered down, crude wrap up is the definition of releasing the exact same game with minimal content added and expecting us to pay $40. If you really feel the need to waste $40 for a substandard conclusion, be my guest, but a game's quality is not measured in its price tag nor the format it is released in.

You know why companies are able to sell substandard products at exorbitant prices? Its not just because people are willing to buy it, but because people actually think a higher price means better quality. Certainly a theory in practice in this fandom given how they foam at the mouth for third versions.

And a third version does not fix XY--its story is not overwritten because different versions of the same games are canonically alternate universes. You know what can retcon existing games though? New games that make reference to, and change details, of events in old games. You know what's a new game that changed explicitly mentioned facts in XY? ORAS. Why none of you can accept one set of games retconing another set is beyond me--but a third version will not retcon XY by definition of the multiverse that Game Freak has established in Gen V.

Yes, because Blue, Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and B2/W2 were all so underwhelming and a waste of time when compared to THEIR successors. -_- Please, continue.

Compared to their successors? Do you know what that word means? Because Yellow's successor (i.e., the game it was followed by) was GSC, so it sounds like you're saying that a new generation is underwhelming compared to a retread of the old--unless you meant predecessor. But I do have to check given that Silktree's suggestion facilitates the start of a new generation sooner, but you're so against the idea that I have to consider that you do, in fact, think a third version of an existing generation is more interesting than a new generation of games.

Last edited:
This is a bit off subject but what do you guys think the next issue of Corocoro is going to reveal? Maybe there's a chance that'll reveal the name of the next games perhaps?

I guess in the grand scheme of things Gen 7 happening next year isn't entirely mental. 2016 does mark 3 years since Gen 6. Some previous gens have had a 3 year gap, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. My biggest problem with that is that Kalos just doesn't feel finished yet. And no, throwing a bunch of Zygarde content at the anime - which many of the game players don't even watch - doesn't count as finishing it. Maybe GF truly are going to break their pattern of a third version/sequel. I'd be sad if that happened, though, because I feel like Kalos has so much more to offer before the next gen comes along to upstage it. GF focused on making Gen 6 cosmetic in XY, and I understand and support that, what with the jump to 3D taken into consideration. But in a 3rd version or sequel so much content could've been added to match the cosmetics, making it beautiful and brilliant, and to deprive Kalos of that would be so cruel.

I don't know which way to go on this. I certainly think that they *could* do more with Kalos, but I am not so certain that they *have to*, aside from going over the Zygarde and Volcanion lore. ORAS already expanded further on Kalos's history by involving it in the plot of the Delta Episode, and again, there isn't really a whole lot left hanging in XY for any sequel to deal with. I mean, we have all of our answers for everything that isn't Zygarde - we know the major details of AZ's war, and we know about the origins of Mega Evolution. The only thing in Kalos that, story-wise, I think remains unattended to is the Anistar Sundial (which we can see will be involved in the anime, so it is still at least a point of interest). But even that wouldn't be beyond an eShop app that explores Zygarde's lore, because it could just give us an infodump on how the Sundial pertains to it as well.

Which leaves us with... cosmetic upgrades, which are nice, but are they worth weaving a whole game out of? They cannot offer any unobtainable Pokémon other than Zygarde's formes. They could give us Mega Evolutions, but they could do that with a new Gen as well. New features? Could be done with a new Gen. And so on.

I think what I'm worrying isn't that alternative plotlines won't be made - but the fact that it is the Anime that is creating the plotline on Zygarde first before the potential games.

But then all that the games have to do is... write a different storyline.

This is a bit off subject but what do you guys think the next issue of Corocoro is going to reveal? Maybe there's a chance that'll reveal the name of the next games perhaps?

As one of the ones who believes that Z isn't happening, I am obviously not expecting anything. Would they not have hyped up their next issue more directly? Instead of just promising that we would learn the details on Ash-Greninja. Besides, Corocoro isn't usually where new games are announced. It isn't outright impossible, though.

Last edited:
I don't know which way to go on this. I certainly think that they *could* do more with Kalos, but I am not so certain that they *have to*, aside from going over the Zygarde and Volcanion lore. ORAS already expanded further on Kalos's history by involving it in the plot of the Delta Episode, and again, there isn't really a whole lot left hanging in XY for any sequel to deal with. I mean, we have all of our answers for everything that isn't Zygarde - we know the major details of AZ's war, and we know about the origins of Mega Evolution. The only thing in Kalos that, story-wise, I think remains unattended to is the Anistar Sundial (which we can see will be involved in the anime, so it is still at least a point of interest). But even that wouldn't be beyond an eShop app that explores Zygarde's lore, because it could just give us an infodump on how the Sundial pertains to it as well.

Which leaves us with... cosmetic upgrades, which are nice, but are they worth weaving a whole game out of? They cannot offer any unobtainable Pokémon other than Zygarde's formes. They could give us Mega Evolutions, but they could do that with a new Gen as well. New features? Could be done with a new Gen. And so on.

As one of the ones who believes that Z isn't happening, I am obviously not expecting anything. Would they not have hyped up their next issue more directly? Instead of just promising that we would learn the details on Ash-Greninja. Besides, Corocoro isn't usually where new games are announced. It isn't outright impossible, though.

If I recall Corocoro doesn't usually cover anime news unless it's of vital importance, usually that stuff is left to the Pokémon fan magazine. That and I'm befuddled why they would tease a new form for a super popular Pokémon like Greninja as an anime exclusive when most people could careless about the anime now unless the Kalos starters are getting Megas in Gen 7. That said I'm really interested to see what GF does and even more interested to see how the fandom will react to it.

Wow, I'd really hoped we were past the point where we declare games 'poor' because some characters personally annoy us or certain Pokemon has an improved catch rate, but no, that's still going, and we haven't learned the word 'subjective' yet? Ok, carry on *__*

My beef is less throwing around what they think is quality no matter how much of a mix of humor and cringe-worthy it is but more their arguments are more personal mad rantings all while ignoring the bigger picture than anything else.

That noise-cluster aside, I'm in the camp wanting a damn total re-imagining with expanded & retooled EVERYTHINGS with an additional episode(s) after the credits. Feels easier than up and "let's make a sequel" considering what...XY (the main plot) was...whatever it was trying to be. OR/AS already opened up the notions of "what-ifs" during your chats with the opposing Team Leader in the post game so why the hell not?

And guys, let's not try to bank too much on the whole 20th anniversary bit. That's a set-up from some ugly feelings later. I mean, sure, we could get how Bamco do their anniversaries (this is good and bad) or... *sighs* we'll just get even more Kanto shills.

Last edited:

I might have been unclear: I'm talking more than just the game plotline - I'm talking about the game content as a whole.

This is basically what I'm wondering about: Since the Anime is exposing information about Zygarde in their plotline, how do they write out a game with the same mascot without any more potential 'leaks' in what the game content will be?

It's more than just "writing a different storyline," due to the content involved. Zygarde has been at a degree so secretive the past months, but more particularly in the role it has in the games. Yet all the information about the Pokemon is only exposed as part of the Anime, and in no relation yet at all in a new game or so. It's very odd - the amount of info exposed mainly in regard to the anime seems perhaps too much already in terms of the games, given how many here are already speculating what the gameplay could be like...

This is what I'm suspicious of - and why I'm not declaring Pokemon Z yet.

I might have been unclear: I'm talking more than just the game plotline - I'm talking about the game content as a whole.

This is basically what I'm wondering about: Since the Anime is exposing information about Zygarde in their plotline, how do they write out a game with the same mascot without any more potential 'leaks' in what the game content will be?

It's more than just "writing a different storyline," due to the content involved. Zygarde has been at a degree so secretive the past months, but more particularly in the role it has in the games. Yet all the information about the Pokemon is only exposed as part of the Anime, and in no relation yet at all in a new game or so. It's very odd - the amount of info exposed mainly in regard to the anime seems perhaps too much already in terms of the games, given how many here are already speculating what the gameplay could be like...

except you either spoil the game or spoil the anime if you use the same material. and ultimately, it's probably better to just spoil it in the anime since not every person who plays the games watches the anime (though i'd be willing to put a dollar down that everyone who watches the anime plays the games in some fashion). and even still, the anime does take a lot more creative license than the game, so there's always the possibility that there'll only be some similarities (ie., a Zygarde fixing the ecosystem or Team Flare taking advantage of Zygarde) while not completely identical.

To sum it up, GF had successfully captured us in a state of uncertainty.

The Anime plot could basically replace Zygarde with Xerneas/Yveltal as fuel for the ultimate weapon, but Team Flare learns its a huge mistake. Boom,new plot not spoiled. And we havenpthing really, just formes and forme nanes. No idea on the other cores, no idea on how they asseklmble, if there is something between 10 and 50, I really think we have gotten just the iceberg tip.
To sum it up, GF had successfully captured us in a state of uncertainty.
I definitely think when, not if, the final gen 6 chapter ends up being revealed the fandomwillbe absolutely rabid. Gen 5 and its B2W2 twist changed things forever, there was never a question of what will happen next, just when. I've been in the fandom online since 06(just not here)
and things were never this jittery.

I'll be honest, I'm expecting Z more than anything else as the next next game. There doesn't seem to be anything else to do other than that; Zygarde doesn't have a relationship to Xerneas or Yveltal outside of being a trio. Not to mention that with all of those forms it's hard to make an XZ YZ without taking a nice lot of attention from Xerneas or Yveltal, which the they could do if they had Megas for them, but otherwise there wouldn't be much of a reason to make sequels. I'm sort of guessing on it being XYZ; throwing Xerneas and Yveltal in while making them catchable and emphasizing on their relationships to Zygarde. But that's how I see it.

Anyways, we are most certainly getting a Kalos game, because there's simply no way that Zygarde's forms will be showcased in the anime first and then a region it's not protecting in the next game. There's a lot of ways this game makes no sense, but this would not be one of them

So whatever this new game is, I hope they improve greatly on XY's blemishes.
Less focus on Kanto. Please. Starters, Mewtwo, Bird Trio. That's plenty enough from XY.
A much better story where I can actually feel more closeness to my rival(s) other than "yes we hardly ever battled and talked 'cept for 1.5 of you".
More things to do. after Secret Bases, Soaring, Mirage islands and Contests, I don't have many expectations set too high for this one; Most non event Legendaries were pretty much made available with ORAS, and seeing how Game Freak did away with the Battle Frontier, I'm pretty sure we're getting Battle Maison and a small post game story.

What Silktree suggested is a legitimate genre of games, known as visual novels. Maybe you've heard of them? Phoenix Wright, 999, Hotel Dusk--all critically acclaimed, and the former two having released themselves as "lesser games" on the iOS--so yeah, full fledged quality games can, in fact, sell for under $10.

Not everyone is into visual novels, and if it's short I just expect people to watch it online and get it over with to know about Zygarde, while being disappointed that Zygarde's formes aren't playable in a new main series game they would have been willing to actually buy and play through. Those games you've listed only cost as much as they do because they were fully fledged games that came out years ago, only tweaked to work in an iOS, and as far as I know, in 999's case, the puzzle sections were removed with the text being altered to make it fit. Pokemon sells because of its gameplay with its monsters; not story.

Now I think it would be forgiveable if it was around the same length as other visual novels and had plenty of content and it was its own thing, but then GameFreak might as well make it a full priced retail game like other visual novels.

I don't get why people are suggesting some sort of mini visual novel series, PSMD, in anime conclusion or some sort of App to wrap up Gen 6.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to assume the conclusion to the gen 6 main series games will be the same platform/format as a gen 6 main series game.

You don't read a book then reach the end and it says "to find out what happens in the end, you need to watch this movie "...." or buy this comic/magazine.
They usually would give you another book.

I'll be honest, I'm expecting Z more than anything else as the next next game. There doesn't seem to be anything else to do other than that; Zygarde doesn't have a relationship to Xerneas or Yveltal outside of being a trio. Not to mention that with all of those forms it's hard to make an XZ YZ without taking a nice lot of attention from Xerneas or Yveltal, which the they could do if they had Megas for them, but otherwise there wouldn't be much of a reason to make sequels. I'm sort of guessing on it being XYZ; throwing Xerneas and Yveltal in while making them catchable and emphasizing on their relationships to Zygarde. But that's how I see it.

Anyways, we are most certainly getting a Kalos game, because there's simply no way that Zygarde's forms will be showcased in the anime first and then a region it's not protecting in the next game. There's a lot of ways this game makes no sense, but this would not be one of them

So whatever this new game is, I hope they improve greatly on XY's blemishes.
Less focus on Kanto. Please. Starters, Mewtwo, Bird Trio. That's plenty enough from XY.
A much better story where I can actually feel more closeness to my rival(s) other than "yes we hardly ever battled and talked 'cept for 1.5 of you".
More things to do. after Secret Bases, Soaring, Mirage islands and Contests, I don't have many expectations set too high for this one; Most non event Legendaries were pretty much made available with ORAS, and seeing how Game Freak did away with the Battle Frontier, I'm pretty sure we're getting Battle Maison and a small post game story.

Do you mean you expect a decrease in postgame content for Z, after the good amount of postgame content in ORAS, or do you mean ORAS's postgame wasn't good enough itself? I didn't understand your opinion of it.

Also, are you expecting a poor postgame for Z? When have gen finales been content lacking? Emerald, Platinum, B2W2 all had a lot of content... Or are you expecting gen VI to break the rule and go lazy/decrease in content for the gen VI finale?

I personally expect Z/XYZ to have the PWT. But who knows, you could be right, although I doubt they would go with the same Battle Facility for a third game in a row. It is good and easy to get into, but they usually change the Battle Facility every two games more or less...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom