• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Gyarados vs Milotic

I don't like either of them... But since Gyarados creeps me out, I guess Milotic.

Gyarados is ugly, Milotic is beautiful.
Guess who I prefer?

Well, I wouldn't call Gyrados ugly. Anger prone yes, but it's design looks okay. Though my vote still goes to Milotic, one of the most majestic and captivating designs pokemon has to offer. It's pretty useful in battle too to top it off.

Well, I wouldn't call Gyrados ugly. Anger prone yes, but it's design looks okay. Though my vote still goes to Milotic, one of the most majestic and captivating designs pokemon has to offer. It's pretty useful in battle too to top it off.

I took @Mantis' post to mean that Gyarados is an unattractive Pokemon, not that it's poorly designed. Just like you can have a gorgeous painting of an ugly man, you can have a well designed Pokemon that is meant to be ugly.

I took @Mantis' post to mean that Gyarados is an unattractive Pokemon, not that it's poorly designed. Just like you can have a gorgeous painting of an ugly man, you can have a well designed Pokemon that is meant to be ugly.

Well, I thought the word ugly meant, well ugly... but now that you mention it, your post makes sense.

Exactly. Its design is badass and menacing, but I'd rather have a good looking Pokémon like Milotic by my side.
In my opinion, beauty is essential even for Pokémon.

Exactly. Its design is badass and menacing, but I'd rather have a good looking Pokémon like Milotic by my side.
In my opinion, beauty is essential even for Pokémon.

Hahahaha, yeah! Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Dragon dance thunder milotic dies.

This is a terrible idea. Expanding on what Jesus said (lol, I can't believe I actually got to say that), Gyarados has a pretty low Sp. Atk compared to Milotic's Sp. Def. Also, Dragon Dance is as good as useless since (considering you're using Thunder) the only stat to get a boost would be Speed, which is inconsecuential as it stands. (To put it in perspective, their base Speed is tied. This means that if Milotic goes first, HP Electric kills Gyarados. If Gyarados Dragon Dances first, Milotic still uses HP Electric to kill him).

Add to that Thunder's very shaky 70 accuracy, and even if you did manage to pull off a DD Thunder, you still have a high chance of missing. But even if you did hit, you probably wouldn't be able to dent to even half of it's HP considering your bad Sp. Atk and her good Sp. Def. But even if you did manage to dent it, she can just Recover the damage away and keep going as if nothing had happened. Also, she can put you to sleep with Hypnosis and proceed from there.

And, actually, even if he isn't using that horrible Thunder tactic, he'd have to rely on either Stone Edge or Earthquake for damage (considering that Bounce is a joke and his good STAB attacks are resisted by Milotic) both of which Milotic can shrug off with her overall bulk as long as their undoosted. Now, if he did decide to take the time to DD up, she'd take advantage of the setup and kill him with HP Electric. And Status moves don't work either as all they do is increase Milotic's Defense even higher (thanks to Marvel Scale) so you can't T-Wave or Toxic stall it either.

Actually, I've just argued myself into siding with Milotic on this matchup. As long as she carries Hidden Power (Electric), it's a sure fire victory for her. If she doesn't have the desired HP... well, then it becomes alot more difficult to predict a winner.

tbh, i don't see milotic carrying hp electric. As far as general battling is concerned, you can't deny that gyarados is actually better.

tbh, i don't see milotic carrying hp electric. As far as general battling is concerned, you can't deny that gyarados is actually better.

Haha. Dude, I wrote that way back in 2010. I was still relatively new to the competitive scene back then. My experiences have since...refined me.

I still like Milotic much better than Gyarados, but I won't deny that the latter is the more useful one of the two.

Haha. It's always nice to read your old posts and laugh about how stupid you once were.

Those who say Milotic always wins because it has Hidden Power Electric fail to realize that there is a mystical item that Gyarados can use:

WACAN BERRY.

Yup, and if it carries Wacan Berry, Gyara can use a 252 HP/252 SpD RestTalk + Dragon Dance set with Earthquake to destroy Milotic. Taunt also exists, and if Milotic is Taunted, it has no way to recover.

Even though Gyarados is the original badass, Milotic simply appeals more to me.

... Also I spend almost a whole day to get one...

Those who say Milotic always wins because it has Hidden Power Electric fail to realize that there is a mystical item that Gyarados can use:

WACAN BERRY.

Yup, and if it carries Wacan Berry, Gyara can use a 252 HP/252 SpD RestTalk + Dragon Dance set with Earthquake to destroy Milotic. Taunt also exists, and if Milotic is Taunted, it has no way to recover.

Okay, let's do this thing then. The odds of a Hidden Power [Electric] Milotic fighting a bulky RestTalk Gyarados with a Wacan Berry are very slim, but lets take the scenario and run with it, shall we?

TURN 1:

Gyarados uses Taunt
Milotic uses Hidden Power [Electric]
Wacan Berry Weakens HP[E], Gyarados survives.

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Earthquake
Milotic survives because duh, and proceeds to KO with a now 4x effective HP[E] because Gyarados never healed from the first hit.

Alternative #1-

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Rest, he recovers all his HP
Milotic uses the now 4x effective HP [E]. I'm not in the mood to do the damage calcs right now, but Gyara should be dead, however, let's assume for the sake of argument that he survives.

TURN 3:

Gyarados uses Sleep Talk; Gyarados uses Earthquake.
Milotic survives because duh. Milotic uses HP [E,] now Gyarados dies.

Alternative #2-

TURN 1:

Gyarados uses EQ
Milotic survives and uses HP [E,] which Waccan Berry weakens. Gyarados survives.

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Taunt
Milotic can't recover because of the Taunt
(In essence, this was a waste of a turn)

TURN 3:

Gyarados uses EQ, Milotic survives because since you're using a Bulky set, you didn't invest nearly enough EVs in your attack stat.
Milotic uses HP [E,] Gyarados dies because he never healed from the first HP [E].

OR-

TURN 3:

see Alternative #1 above.

Whichever way you spin it, Gyarados loses that particular battle.

I'll just leave this pic here *walks away whistling*

Attachments

• image-1756062389.jpg
    image-1756062389.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 8,168

WACAN BERRY.

Okay, let's do this thing then. The odds of a Hidden Power [Electric] Milotic fighting a bulky RestTalk Gyarados with a Wacan Berry are very slim, but lets take the scenario and run with it, shall we?

TURN 1:

Gyarados uses Taunt
Milotic uses Hidden Power [Electric]
Wacan Berry Weakens HP[E], Gyarados survives.

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Earthquake
Milotic survives because duh, and proceeds to KO with a now 4x effective HP[E] because Gyarados never healed from the first hit.

Alternative #1-

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Rest, he recovers all his HP
Milotic uses the now 4x effective HP [E]. I'm not in the mood to do the damage calcs right now, but Gyara should be dead, however, let's assume for the sake of argument that he survives.

TURN 3:

Gyarados uses Sleep Talk; Gyarados uses Earthquake.
Milotic survives because duh. Milotic uses HP [E,] now Gyarados dies.

Alternative #2-

TURN 1:

Gyarados uses EQ
Milotic survives and uses HP [E,] which Waccan Berry weakens. Gyarados survives.

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Taunt
Milotic can't recover because of the Taunt
(In essence, this was a waste of a turn)

TURN 3:

Gyarados uses EQ, Milotic survives because since you're using a Bulky set, you didn't invest nearly enough EVs in your attack stat.
Milotic uses HP [E,] Gyarados dies because he never healed from the first HP [E].

OR-

TURN 3:

see Alternative #1 above.

Whichever way you spin it, Gyarados loses that particular battle.

Are you kidding me? OK, let me tell you a little secret:
Physically defensive Milotic using Hidden Power Electric against 252HP/248 SDef+/8Spe Gyarados WITHOUT Wacan Berry: 40.6% - 48.7%. That means Gyarados can set up two Dragon Dances and then use Rest.
Now, +2 252HP/248 SDef/8Spe Gyarados using Bounce against 252HP/252 Def+ Milotic: 47.3% - 55.7%. So, Milotic can be 2HKOed by Bounce.

Now let's see 0 Sp.Atk Milotic using Hidden Power Electric against standard Choice Band Gyarados(72 HP/0 SDef): 58.5% - 68.8%.
Adamant Choice Band Gyarados using Earthquake against 252HP/252Def+ Milotic: 74.3% - 87.5%
Jolly Choice Band Gyarados using Earthquake against 252HP/252Def+ Milotic: 67.7% - 79.6%

EDIT:
Even if Milotic decides to waste it's tremendous bulk and run 252 SpA+, Hidden Power Electric is not guaranteed to OHKO standard Choice Band Gyarados. In return, Adamant CB Gyarados using Bounce on 0/0 Milotic: 81.9% - 96.4%

Last edited:
I just have to say, in all the time I've played in UU I have yet to encounter a Milotic that runs Hidden Power Electric. Not saying that you couldn't run HP Electric, but it's something of a contrived way for her to triumph over Gyarados. On the other hand, neither of these Pokemon are particularly effective against one another. Milotic struggles to damage Gyarados outside of residual damage, whereas Gyarados will have serious trouble setting up on Milotic without Substitute, as Dragon Tail bypasses Taunt.

Of course I still prefer Milotic over Gyarados, since I prefer her elegant design to his fierce one, and she is legitimately hard to obtain as opposed to being ridiculously common. It's just a shame Milotic is so insanely one-dimensional in the battling department. Neither of them are up there with any of my favourite Pokemon though.

Gyarados to all of the questions you asked. For a Pokemon so freakin' rare Milotic only seems worth it for looks.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom