• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP HMs - Keep or Toss?

I would say toss but then again I guess having to manage the HM slaves made the game more difficult. But it was also annoying to always catch a flying Pokemon every time I erased my old save file. I was always struggling with finding a flying Pokemon that I hadn't already used especially since early bird Pokemon aren't too exciting. You don't want a flying HM slave since you need Fly all the time unlike the other HM moves (except for Surf I guess).

I'd imagine HMS are going to be tossed or reworked in some way so that they are less intrusive and restricting.

Toss it away as hard as you possibly can. HMs were a pain the butt and Sinnoh's biggest sin imo. They only really started lessening their hand on it in BW/BW2 since you only needed Surf and Waterfall as obrigatory to finish the story. Same for XY with only Surf and Strenght being mandatory. And SM/USUM/SWSH did it even better by getting rid of it completely. I almost cried tears of joy when I realized I could have any team and moveset I wanted in Alola cuz I didn't need the trio of ''Flying Type with Fly'', ''Water type with Surf, Dive and Waterfall'' and the ''HM Slave''.

Convert them to TMs. Since Generation 5, TMs are no longer single use anyway, so the only difference between HM moves and TM moves is that HM moves can't be deleted (fixed later when they removed HMs entirely in Gen 7, and would also be fixed by just making them TMs).

I expect (and – unpopular opinion – hope) that they'll be back for these games. I've always liked the challenge of having to balance strong/efficient moves you need in battle with field moves that you need outside of battles. I could see them allowing you to forget HM moves on the go, though, or perhaps even retcon them into field moves only, i. e. you would need the HM and have a compatible Pokémon in your party, but it wouldn't take away any of your move slots.

Toss them so hard and far they end up in Ultra Metropolis. HMs were the absolute bane of Gen 4 as a whole, and Sinnoh was the worst offender of them. ESPECIALLY when it came to Mt. Coronet, as you always needed the most recent HM (sans Cut and Fly) to reach a new part of it. No, HMs need to die a fiery, awful death and not return to these games. Even if it's just using the bike to simulate HMs or something like Poke Ride, then I'm all for it. Just NO HMs.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom