• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How'd you choose your first game?

You chose your first game because of that version's...

• Color

Votes: 30 19.5%
  • Mascot

Votes: 30 19.5%
  • Catchable Pokémon

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 82 53.2%

• Total voters
I recognized Groudon from these bookmarks at the school library.

A few months later, I found Charizard more appealing than Venusaur.

I originally wanted FireRed or Sapphire...but there was only LeafGreen...so...it was straighforward.

Emerald came as a combo pack with the GBA I purchased. As for why I bought a GBA in the first place, my dad offered to buy me one for my 9th birthday.

A mix of favorite color and favorite mascot. Blue is my favorite color, and Blastoise looked way better than Charizard, so I went with Blue.

Technically, my first game was indigo, a crappy online game I played a few months ago. I thought it was good since I never played a real Pokemon game.
My first real game was SoulSilver. My choice was between that and HeartGold, and the color silver kicks golds ass.

I didn't decide: the decision was made for me. My aunt knew that I liked Pokemon so she decided to get me a Pokemon game for my birthday. She just happened to choose Red version. I almost traded it away for Blue version, but I decided that I'd give Red version a shot.

My brother gave me his old copy of Gold Version when he stopped playing. He quit Pokemon and I never stopped after that.

Not really sure why. My first game was Crystal, which I actually had rented from Blockbuster (ended up buying a new copy and keeping the rental one :p). God knows what my five-year-old brain was thinking when I went with it, but meh, I'm happy I did. I <3 my Crystal.

You're *bad* :eek:

I had Red as my first game because I got it from a Tag Sale for $2. Couldn't go wrong there!

Red: I thought Charizard looked badass in the box so I was immediately sold.

Red, probably because it featured Charizard.
But as long as I got the game that was opposite of the version my brother got, I was satisfied. As for Black and White, though, I'm absolutely going for the cool factor of the mascots.

Other.
Back in the days I got Blue, I chose it 'cose I wanted to be different.
All my friends bought Red so I decided to take Blue so we could trade later.
I later did this on every other version too.
They had Gold, I bought Silver, They bought Ruby I bought Sapphire.

I went with Blue, partly because of the color, but also because Blue seemed like the cooler version. It always seemed to me (and this is 0.00% fact, mind you) that Red was the overt, front-and-center version that everyone wanted, while Blue was the off-the-beaten-path choice that signified that you were smarter and cooler. It's a bit of a Lennon-McCartney thing, I guess (assuming that analogy makes even a little sense).

EDIT: No wait, I have a better analogy: Coke and Pepsi. They're even red and blue!

Last edited:
I didn't. My mum and dad got me Blue with my Gameboy Color when I was four and I don't actually think I ever wanted Red anyway, or knew about either beforehand, really. I've used the legendaries and exclusives to decide since.

My obsessive fate was sealed that day. ='D

Colour for me. I always go for the third version (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Gray?), followed by the one that's expressed first in the pair of names. (Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black).

I was shopping and I saw a copy of Ruby on a shelf. I thought "Hey, I haven't messed around with pokemon since the cards when I was 5!" so I bought it. That was the gateway to where I am now xD

My cousin made me get Red.

I wanted Ruby, and he's like NOOOO.

Needless to say I'm glad he did that. Now I only get the first-named versions (Red, Diamond, Gold, Ruby, etc.) Except I'll change when B&W come out because I want more Pokemon, not trainers to fight.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom