• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

How do you pronounce Rankurusu's english name?
Reuniclus...Well, we need to know where the "Reun" part comes from. "iclus" probably comes from homonculus though. Probably Ree-un-cue-lus?

Is the list of English names real?
Well, some of the names on the list were revealed by IGN: http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143911p1.html

Everytime I read tamagetake and morobareru English names I laugh, foongus and amoonguss, wow just wow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungus_Amongus

534Roobushin.png

Behold, I am the Conk-Elder! Come here, children, and play with my Conk!

The "land" in Stoutland is from Newfoundland, a type of hairy dog breed.

Anyway, coupled with Gamagaru's evil look in the Sugimori Art, I instantly thought of Emperor Palpatine when I saw its name was "Palpitoad".

I like most of these, but I'm still going to call them Tornelos, Voltolos and Landlos.

Edit: Also, "Oshawott" makes way more sense now.

i like some of the names!

alomamola... nice palindrome lol
braviary is alright
i like the genie trio's names
bisharp... eh? i guess bishop + sharp but still...
KLINKLANG. genius.
cryogonal... love the name, hate the pokemon.

the only ones i don't really like are mandibuzz, conkledurr, and watchog but two out of three of those i'll never use.

I like the new English names (Gothitelle and Woobat are pretty cool).

#508 Stoutland: Maybe the "land" part is from a dog breed? Like Japanese name of Lillipup (Yorterrie from Yorkshire Terrier. BTW, Lillipup sounds so... gay =/).

Shetland Terrier?

Just checked PokemonBlackWhite.com. Several of them are 100% Confimed.

Hello, first post here. I'll save the greetings for the proper thread though.

Edit: Also, "Oshawott" makes way more sense now.

You don't understand Oshawott's name? its the Ocea for the word Ocean and the Wott from the fan name Wotter, melded together. Ocea-wott.

I took the time to figure out what each name comes from and while doing so I discovered that Elgyem or Riguree as he is called in Japan is basically the phonetic saying of the acronym LGM, which is short for Little Green Men. Talk about creative.

I am really starting to like these names.

Cheren Stayed but Belle became Bianca.

I like it.

^^ what? if its true i guessed Bianca!

Back
Top Bottom