• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

I think the Dream World abilities may have some connection to the Mega Evolutions in a way. If you take a look at this:

Dream World Lucario - Ability Justified (powers up attack when hit by a certain type) & Mega Lucario (looks much more stronger) - Ability Adaptibility (powers up the attacks with STAB)

Dream World Blaziken - Ability Speed Boost (raises speed) & Mega Blaziken (looks more aerodynamic?) -Ability Speed Boost (raises speed)

Dream World Mawile -Ability Sheer Force (raises power of all special attacks with an effect) & Mega Mawile (looks menacing?) -Ability Huge Power (raises base attack stat)

Is it possible that a pokemon's dreams represent a little of what will they become in their Mega form?
It's just a wild theory of mine but I noticed those tiny similiarities and wanted to share it for maybe it can be helpful.

I guess it all really lies in personal preference. I for one am all for it and would love a Mega Charizard to be Fire/Dragon type.
Mega Charizard should retain the Flying type or get Levitate, because the immunity to Ground is too awesome to pass up. Imagine if it was Fire+Ground+Levitate -- only elemental weaknesses are 4x Water and 2x Ground, with Levitate protecting against the latter.

Besides, Charizard is the only starter Pokemon eligible for Sky Battles, we don't want to lose that.

I said last year pokemon design looked more digimonish now they gone +10000 and stolen there whole freaking gimmick. This becoming a bit embarrrsing now :) perhaps they are just turning pokemon into digimon to attract the fan base ?

Mid-battle transformations are hardly unique to Digimon, Digimon is just among the best-known examples (being dissed as a Pokemon knockoff and all).

I said last year pokemon design looked more digimonish now they gone +10000 and stolen there whole freaking gimmick. This becoming a bit embarrrsing now :) perhaps they are just turning pokemon into digimon to attract the fan base ?

1) As Stratelier said, Mid-battle transformations are not unique to Digimon and it can benefit the series if done well.

2) We've discussed this before, but no Pokémon even remotely favors a Digimon. Both have very different design directions, which can easily be seen in examples where they draw from the same concept (i.e. Hydreigon vs. Orochimon)

Last edited:

If they named it Awakened form or something similar people would stop comparing to Digimon, hell i even saw people saying they were copying Power Rangers and Dragon Ball Z...

We've kinda had mid-battle transformations before:

Gen III: Castform
Gen IV: Cherrim
Gen V: Darumitan

...Probably a bunch I'm missing.

Meloetta, too. This is why Mega Evolution feels more like in-battle formes for regular Pokemon, rather than an evolutionary stage, to me.

Mudkip Mega Evolution FTW!!!

Also, we need one for Rattata, Bidoof, and Magikarp.

(To be realistic, Charizard Mega Evolution would be nice.)

if they refuse to really evolve them.. mega-tropius (grass/dragon perhaps? overdone i know but.. giant banana brontosaurus!) mega-farfetch'd (fighting/flying samurai-duck?) and mega-jynx (she got left out :(....)

Meloetta, too. This is why Mega Evolution feels more like in-battle formes for regular Pokemon, rather than an evolutionary stage, to me.
The visual design is the problem there I guess (though not for me) Just compare Lugia to Ylveltal and it will become obvious that Pokémon designs are taking the Digimon route.

Just compare Lugia to Ylveltal and it will become obvious that Pokémon designs are taking the Digimon route.

Except they aren't. There is nothing "Digimon-ish" in Yveltal's design. Lugia, Ho-Oh, Yveltal, Dialga, Xerneas and others all look like Pokémon and nothing else.

1) As Stratelier said, Mid-battle transformations are not unique to Digimon and it can benefit the series if done well.

2) We've discussed this before, but no Pokémon even remotely favors a Digimon. Both have very different design directions, which can easily be seen in examples where they draw from the same concept (i.e. Hydreigon vs. Orochimon)

I think the point is digimon did it first it seems obvious to me pokemon has jumped on the badwaggon, why i dont know maybe there trying to steal away some digimon fans, maybe there intimidated by the new 3DS digimnon game, etiher way its a naive appraoch that is only makes the franchise look silly in my eyes. Its just not pokemon in any way shape or form, its equivilant to digimon games changing the rules and making digivolution permenant its not what the franchise is about you stick to what you know, you stick to what the franchise is about. Thats not what pokemon is doing im afraid there selling out. poke£££

Also why, oh why of all the words on in the world would they us mega ? which just happens to be the penultimate normally final form of all digimon Its a blatent rip off, yes , mega is known as ultiamte in japan but they are equally aware all the dub material lists them as mega levels so it is an extremly odd choice. With the desing aspect, we will never agree i always maitained i feel the pokemon were more digimon-ized, but i actually think gen 6 is more of a little kiddy style designs, very simple,but not very effective.

Gen 7 will probably include DNA evolution, you will all be discussing what charizard and venasuar will look like when evolved together through the "joining stone" im serious btw watch this space. Then gen 8 might actually take palce in the diigtal world, "pokemon goes digital" I mean why stop with the evoltuiton tihng? go the full monty.

What they really need to do in all honesty is "steal" some of digimons writers, then they might field a decent anime season for the first time since the 90s

Last edited:

i still would rather see the forms called 'awakened' rather than megas..... it might lessen some of the 'huddurrdigimon' responses. plus it sounds far more bamf

They are not "awakened", though. That would suggest that Pokemon walk around in a weakened state with dormant powers sleeping within them, waiting to be awoken. Also, if someone is awakened, they usually stay in that form.

Mega Stones just temporarily exaggerate a Pokemon's power when the Pokemon in question becomes exposed to one.

Still, Pokemon is not Digimon.
1365732428427.jpg

(Lol. But, seriously, folks...)
They're not ripping off Digimon, not specifically anyway, and as far as I've heard (I'm actually Googling "Pokemon vs Digimon" while posting this) Digimon has never been a threat to Pokemon's popularity (especially in the US) to begin with.

Mid-battle transformations are something new for the Pokemon series, and so far implied to be unique to Kalos. They expand the player's battling options for certain species, and could help a bunch of lesser-used Pokemon get more chance to shine.

And between any two long-lived series, some tangential similarities will be inevitable. Like these:
Ho-oh-mon (yes, that is its actual pronunciation)

Rufflet/Braviary vs. Hawkmon and its digivolution Aquilamon:
19334.jpg

But we can at least agree that "Mega" Evolution isn't a great name for it.

Last edited:

I think the point is digimon did it first it seems obvious to me pokemon has jumped on the badwaggon, why i dont know maybe there trying to steal away some digimon fans, maybe there intimidated by the new 3DS digimnon game, etiher way its a naive appraoch that is only makes the franchise look silly in my eyes. Its just not pokemon in any way shape or form, its equivilant to digimon games changing the rules and making digivolution permenant its not what the franchise is about you stick to what you know, you stick to what the franchise is about. Thats not what pokemon is doing im afraid there selling out. poke£££

Ok, four things:

1) By that logic, Pokémon ripped off SMT because they did the whole 'recruiting Mons to battle each other' thing first, are you going to call them out for that? because that's exactly what you're putting forth.

2) It's not "bandwagoning," the concept's been around far before Digimon ever touched it. It's an idea that's been used that can benefit the franchise because it adds to the Pokémon, not because "Oh, Digimon did it, so we should too!" Especially since Digimon has been on hard times lately and still hasn't garnered the same level of popularity of back in the 90s/early 2000s.

3) Why shouldn't they use other ideas that have been "used first?" It's not a copyright, they have the right to do it if they feel it moves the series forward, in this case it does. It's ridiculous that just because it's done in one other series it can't be done anywhere else.

4) What's "Pokémon" is not what you think it is, the series should not be restricted by what the fans only perceive it as because then it runs the risk of stagnating and never moving forward. Bringing in new ideas can help the franchise and keep it entertaining, new ideas don't have to wreck what's "Pokémon" or "Digimon" or whatever, it just has to benefit the franchise in the right way and denying it the chance to move forward just because it draws from a concept used before does it no favors.

Also, the new Digimon game sold like crap, and this is coming from someone who loves the series. Digimon has not garnered the same love as Pokémon lately, GF has no reason to be intimidated by them.

Also why, oh why of all the words on in the world would they us mega ? which just happens to be the penultimate normally final form of all digimon Its a blatent rip off, yes , mega is known as ultiamte in japan but they are equally aware all the dub material lists them as mega levels so it is an extremly odd choice. With the desing aspect, we will never agree i always maitained i feel the pokemon were more digimon-ized, but i actually think gen 6 is more of a little kiddy style designs, very simple,but not very effective.

Then that's a difference of opinion, because I never saw the similarities between the recent Pokémon and Digimon. Like I said before, there's quite a notable difference between how Pokémon designs and Digimon designs and that does get highlighted in cases from when they draw from the same concept. So I don't see how Tornadus and Thundurus suddenly look like Digimon, especially in comparison to their Digimon counterparts.

Last edited:

[/QUOUTE] But we can at least agree that "Mega" Evolution isn't a great name for it.[/QUOTE]

yeah pal, without doubt Mega Evolution is a terrible name, i cant get my head around it, its simply ridiculous, adveneture 02 even has the exact same "mega evolution" for paildramon. its just asking for trouble. Now this it what makes me think they want to attract digimon fans, i really cant see any other reason for such drastic change in the series so simialr to digimon and in my view its not about popularity every sales counts for the £££ grabers. I know pokemon is far far more popular than digimon pretty much anywhere esle in the world but in japan,, i would guess i odnt know) its closer and digimon world re: digitize is seriosus competetion to them, heck if i was in japan id be buying it over x/y, so i blelive tihs is a marketing statergy to make pokemon appleing to a wider variety of people, maintian its a terrible move.

Ok, four things:

1) By that logic, Pokémon ripped off SMT because they did the whole 'recruiting Mons to battle each other' thing first, are you going to call them out for that? because that's exactly what you're putting forth.

ok well my interpitation of "ripping off" is taking something from another frenchsie witohut adding its own spin to it, or significantly changing it to make it uniqe. so no thats not ripping off becasue pokemon added its spin to it so, that its no longer resembles the source material. The reason pokemon is ripping of digimon is because they have barely changed the gimmick, it still temproary evolutions it uses the same name as digimon, that is just lazy. "mega evolution" is a dub term it was "super evolution" in japan still extremly lazy. The other reason they are rippin them off is that they are taking a concept from a rival and using its name, its moalles busienss "yes i consider them rivals in japan even if pokemon is far more popular. every sale counts.

2) It's not "bandwagoning," the concept's been around far before Digimon ever touched it. It's an idea that's been used that can benefit the franchise because it adds to the Pokémon, not because "Oh, Digimon did it, so we should too!" Especially since Digimon has been on hard times lately and still hasn't garnered the same level of popularity of back in the 90s/early 2000s.

well im afriad thats you guessing for all you know thats exactly what they did, i doubt they were up all night thinking of "mega evolution" i find there are more pointers leading me to belive there donig it to "cash in" on digimon fans, or potential digimon fans, the next generation that might have preferd digimon might opt for pokemon instead because it now has more similar aspects. I know digimon is not as popular as pokemon it does not mean there not competetion, no excuse for such lazy, innovation attempting to sneak away customers

3) Why shouldn't they use other ideas that have been "used first?" It's not a copyright, they have the right to do it if they feel it moves the series forward, in this case it does. It's ridiculous that just because it's done in one other series it can't be done anywhere else.

move the series forward, ? its sideways stpe at besst, which could easily backfire on them luckily for them pokemon fans, are generaly "go with eveverything they do" type fans from what i can see. No, if they significanlty change it from the blatent source material which is digimon, then there is no problem, well i still wouldent like it but they wouldnet be ripping anyone off.

4) What's "Pokémon" is not what you think it is, the series should not be restricted by what the fans only perceive it as because then it runs the risk of stagnating and never moving forward. Bringing in new ideas can help the franchise and keep it entertaining, new ideas don't have to wreck what's "Pokémon" or "Digimon" or whatever, it just has to benefit the franchise in the right way and denying it the chance to move forward just because it draws from a concept used before does it no favors.

I agree the best thing about digimon from the anime side is they are enver afraid of innoavtion and ading new ideas to keep the series going,their not afirad of upestting people BUT at the same time hte basic principles set in place within the basic V-pet system is still alive in everything. so basicly pokemon could of innovated without changing fundemental aspects of its gmaeplay, chagin the foundations built over the years. Thes foudations are till storng as everyone keeps saying pokemon is ultra popular, Pokemon were always dipictd as more animal than monster would a animal suddnely temorarily evovle into some mega thing..this was never, ever part of the pyshics, which is why messing with it is unnessecary and doing it the way they have blatenly using digmosn gimmck is poor form by them, i have little respect for them as company.

Also, the new Digimon game sold like crap, and this is coming from someone who loves the series. Digimon has not garnered the same love as Pokémon lately, GF has no reason to be intimidated by them.

The next gen fight as you will hasent even started yet, past failings have no definitve indication to future sucess. Children are the toughest consumer, GF under no circumstances want to allow digimon to minimize its pokemon sales, there a company its aobut the £££. From the addimietly breif gamepaly i have seen i can tell you x/y has every right to be on edge about re; digitize decode it looks amazing. They made a busienss decion !in my opion! to copy digimon to reduce risk. while "advnacing the seires" viewed as a sort of win win

Then that's a difference of opinion, because I never saw the similarities between the recent Pokémon and Digimon. Like I said before, there's quite a notable difference between how Pokémon designs and Digimon designs and that does get highlighted in cases from when they draw from the same concept. So I don't see how Tornadus and Thundurus suddenly look like Digimon, especially in comparison to their Digimon counterparts.

There really is not a notable diffrence infact the diffrnece has grown smaller and smaller, digimons look getting slightly less vieny and monsterish with pokemon going the other way. tornadous, looks like "first gen" digimon such as ogremon

Okay, so Pokémon is copying Digimon to attract their fan base? Because, you know, Pokémon's the one that has trouble getting its footing with international fans >_>

If Pokémon's copying anything, they're copying themselves. There's already been many in-battle form changes, and the problem with form changes is they were hyped up to be this special situation-specific thing (e.g., Castform in weather, Darmanitan when its weakened), and each one has their own justification for existing in-game. But with "Mega-Evolutions" you can give a new form to just about any fully evolved Pokemon with the justification that "you are going beyond the limits of evolution". It's basically a type of form change that doesn't need species-specific explanations or mechanisms.

The only reason we're even having this discussion is because its a temporary "evolution" we're calling "Mega" when in reality its a re-branded mass-produced type of form change with no other justification other than an increase in power. If we called it "Mega forms" or "Awakened forms" or whatever, we'd be having a discussion about how Game Freak has gone over board with form changes.

Last edited:

yeah pal, without doubt Mega Evolution is a terrible name, i cant get my head around it, its simply ridiculous, adveneture 02 even has the exact same "mega evolution" for paildramon. its just asking for trouble. Now this it what makes me think they want to attract digimon fans, i really cant see any other reason for such drastic change in the series so simialr to digimon and in my view its not about popularity every sales counts for the £££ grabers. I know pokemon is far far more popular than digimon pretty much anywhere esle in the world but in japan,, i would guess i odnt know) its closer and digimon world re: digitize is seriosus competetion to them, heck if i was in japan id be buying it over x/y, so i blelive tihs is a marketing statergy to make pokemon appleing to a wider variety of people, maintian its a terrible move.

Lets just get this out of the way: Mega is not used in the Japanese Digimon franchise, it's "Ultimate" there so in its country of origin the similarity in names does not hold.

Secondly:

Lw Tw Title Weekly Sales Total Sales Sys. Publisher
New 01. Gundam Breaker 200,564 New PS3 Namco Bandai
New 02. Toukiden 122,794 New PSV Tecmo Koei
New 03. Etrian Odyssey U: TMG 88,278 New 3DS Atlus
New 04. Toukiden 66,016 New PSP Tecmo Koei
New 05. Atelier Escha & Logy: ADS 57,550 New PS3 Gust
New 06. Digimon World Decode 34,350 New 3DS Namco Bandai
03. 07. Tomodachi Collection: NL 34,254 1,201,787 3DS Nintendo
01. 08. The Last of Us 32,472 149,938 PS3 Sony
02. 09. Donkey Kong CR 3D 27,725 174,541 3DS Nintendo
New 10. Date A Live: Rinne Utopia 23,340 New PS3 Compile Heart

Re: Digitize is nowhere near Pokémon in terms of sales, it sold ~50k worse then it predecessor despite being on a new console that was on the upswing. For comparison, Pokémon Conquest (a new fledged spinoff) sold 170K in it first week and Pokémon XY has 260K units already preordered. Digitize is nowhere near the competition you're trying to make of it.

Anyway, you're making a much bigger deal out of this then really it is. "Mega" evolution is not suddenly going to make people say "Hey, mega evolutions are like Digimon, I should go buy that!" I highly doubt that would have an effect, especially with Digmon not being nearly that mainstream and even in Japan Digmon hardly makes the radar in comparison. So why would Pokémon rip off something with the intention of stealing their fanbase when it's hardly a blip on the radar compared to them?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom