• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Move Tutors/Expanding movepools

Glalie most likely gets Freeze-Dry as a new level-up move since Snorunt's level-up or egg movesets don't have it, and Freeze-Dry isn't a tutor move.

Looks like Glalie line has access to Freeze-Dry now.

Elite Four Glacia - 911
======
Pokemon: 6
Abomasnow (Lv. 72) (Ability: Snow Warning) (Moves: Blizzard/Wood Hammer/Ice Shard/Earthquake)
Beartic (Lv. 72) (Ability: Snow Cloak) (Moves: Icicle Crash/Slash/Shadow Claw/Brick Break)
Froslass (Lv. 72) (Ability: Snow Cloak) (Moves: Draining Kiss/Blizzard/Hail/Shadow Ball)
Vanilluxe (Lv. 72) (Ability: Ice Body) (Moves: Ice Beam/Mirror Coat/Freeze-Dry/Signal Beam)
Walrein (Lv. 72) (Ability: Thick Fat) (Moves: Surf/Body Slam/Blizzard/Sheer Cold)
Glalie (Lv. 74) @Glalitite (Ability: Inner Focus) (Moves: Protect/Ice Shard/Hail/Freeze-Dry)

And of course, the move-set for her Mega Glalie sucks. None of the moves take advantage of its ability and they are all relatively weak.

Elite Four Glacia - 911
======
Abomasnow (Lv. 72) (Ability: Snow Warning) (Moves: Blizzard/Wood Hammer/Ice Shard/Earthquake)
Beartic (Lv. 72) (Ability: Snow Cloak) (Moves: Icicle Crash/Slash/Shadow Claw/Brick Break)
Froslass (Lv. 72) (Ability: Snow Cloak) (Moves: Draining Kiss/Blizzard/Hail/Shadow Ball)
Vanilluxe (Lv. 72) (Ability: Ice Body) (Moves: Ice Beam/Mirror Coat/Freeze-Dry/Signal Beam)
Walrein (Lv. 72) (Ability: Thick Fat) (Moves: Surf/Body Slam/Blizzard/Sheer Cold)
Glalie (Lv. 74) @Glalitite (Ability: Inner Focus) (Moves: Protect/Ice Shard/Hail/Freeze-Dry)

And of course, the move-set for her Mega Glalie sucks. None of the moves take advantage of its ability and they are all relatively weak.

Has any NPC outside Frontier/Subway/Mansion, ever cared about optimal movesets?

Elite Four Glacia - 911
======

Has any NPC outside Frontier/Subway/Mansion, ever cared about optimal movesets?

Yes actually. The Ace Trainers, beginning in Generation IV. Then you also have your occasional competent NPC every now and then (BW Volt Switch Elesa & Water Sport Surskit Viola to name a few...oh and Whitney). Besides when you look at Glacia's other party member's move-sets, they're all much better than her signature Glalie (even her Abomasnow takes advantage of its ability with Blizzard, along with Froslass and Beartic's Snow Cloaks).

Actually i noticed that it isn't Glacia's Glalie that's bad, but Refrigerate on M Glalie is just a poor choice of ability.

Sucks that Dedenne didn't get any Fairy moves. Hell, it didn't get any useful moves at all.
Dedenne gets Signal Beam. Signal Beam hits Grass-, Psychic-, and Dark-type moves super-effectively.

Does that mean Dedenne still can't use TM99? Lame.

Actually i noticed that it isn't Glacia's Glalie that's bad, but Refrigerate on M Glalie is just a poor choice of ability.

Hardly. Glalie's best physical Ice move is Ice Fang, which is only 97.5 BP after STAB - a non-STAB Earthquake hits harder. They could have given it Icicle Crash, but that's, what, 127.5 BP after STAB? However, it also has a chance to miss, unlike other similar power STAB moves like Shadow Ball and Crunch. So really the best option for a physical Ice move really sucks in comparison to what other types get. A ~200 power Ice move with no chance to miss (Return) is a godsend and let's not forget that beautiful 487 power Explosion to go out with a bang (though I do think people are too focused on it exploding). If you are lucky enough to have a Double-Edge Glalie from Gen III then that's even better for you as that hits 240 power with Refrigerate and STAB factored in.

They should have given Glacia's Glalie Return at least, but I can only assume they might have considered it too strong: for reference, Mega Glalie's Refrigerate Return hits ~10% harder than a Life Orb Mamoswine's Icicle Crash - Mamoswine being one of the strongest Ice-types and having a very good base Attack of 130 - and you don't see the game using powerful attackers with those kind of items very often, if at all (esp outside of Battle Maison and the like). Either that or they don't know what they are doing... which, given it's Game Freak, wouldn't exactly surprise me.

Last edited:
They seriously should have added Focus Blast to Pidgeot movepool. With No Guard it never misses and provides really good coverage against Heatran, Tyranitar and other mons that wall it.

Is it likely the shards will be back as tutor currency?

I'm just wondering how we'll find them, as they weren't in the original Hoenn games (at least I don't remember them until Sinnoh, so please correct me if I'm wrong).

Is it likely the shards will be back as tutor currency?

I'm just wondering how we'll find them, as they weren't in the original Hoenn games (at least I don't remember them until Sinnoh, so please correct me if I'm wrong).

Actually they were featured prominently in Hoenn, so I think it's likely that they return as tutor currency.

Oh! Where the heck were they? I only remember them from the Sinnoh Underground, and in Gen 5 from that tunnel...thingy...where shops popped up. I have totally blanked on what it was called, but you could buy pottery and stuff and shard would sometimes be in it. I honestly have no recollection of them in Hoenn. What were they used for back then?

Oh! Where the heck were they? I only remember them from the Sinnoh Underground, and in Gen 5 from that tunnel...thingy...where shops popped up. I have totally blanked on what it was called, but you could buy pottery and stuff and shard would sometimes be in it. I honestly have no recollection of them in Hoenn. What were they used for back then?

Evolution stones.

Yeah you could find them in some of the underwater areas and then you would trade them to the treasure hunter in the house on the little island west of Mossdeep in return for evolution stones. There wasn't many in the game though, so the way you'll collect them in ORAS will likely be different.

Forgive double post. Official site shows Blaziken knowing Ice Punch which it couldn't learn previously. Mega Swampert is also using Focus Punch, which it can't learn currently without being from Gen III or IV and also Superpower which is a tutor move only iirc. So we knew move tutors were returning, but this is confirmation of the elemental punches + Focus Punch + Superpower are move tutors in some form I guess.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom