• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be a legitimate concern. There's 807 now. I heard that the amount of new Pokemon was why the National Dex was put in Bank. That, and they wanted to recreate the feel of catching a Pokemon in Gen 1.
Well, I always thought the national dex was a bit funny, because what animals you find around your own region is all you'd concern yourself with unless you were a biologist or something. I guess there is probably a worldwide index of all new creatures, for scientific stuff, whenever they find new ones. The national dex is still going though, right? Whenever new pokemon are added? I could be wrong.
Guys, let's not argue about it. =/ Can we just acknowledge that we still get 100+ new pokemon designs each gen and leave it at that?
Nobody could've said it better!

In Japan they typically call new forms "new Pokemon". They've done it multiple times. BW kyurem were called new Pokemon and even M Mewtwo Y was called that. They're actually just forms, but as far as promotion goes Japan counts them as new Pokemon when they're first announced

In Japan they typically call new forms "new Pokemon" they've done it multiple times. BW kyurem were called new Pokemon and even M Mewtwo Y was called that. They're actually just forms, but as far as promotion goes Japan counts them as new Pokemon when they're first announced
Glad that clears this issue up.

It could be a legitimate concern. There's 807 now. I heard that the amount of new Pokemon was why the National Dex was put in Bank. That, and they wanted to recreate the feel of catching a Pokemon in Gen 1.

How is it a legitimate concern? Because first off, the main catchphrase has been "gotta catch 'em all" for the past 20 years. Being able to catch a bunch of Pokemon is what's supposed to be the fun of these games, not the burden. If people are truly going to be bothered by the amount of Pokemon, then they are seriously barking up the wrong tree.

They are not new Pokemon. They don't have a unique National Pokedex number.
Again, you're right about the number, but if you don't see them as new pokemon, how would you describe them?

and by the way, you need to catch both sandshrew and alolan sandshrew now to really say you've caught them all, right?

How is it a legitimate concern? Because first off, the main catchphrase has been "gotta catch 'em all" for the past 20 years. Being able to catch a bunch of Pokemon is what's supposed to be the fun of these games, not the burden. If people are truly going to be bothered by the amount of Pokemon, then they are seriously barking up the wrong tree.
I think the most reason for any concern would have been in the 3DS's ability to handle that many new pokemon... but since they still introduced 100+ new models each generation, that clearly wasn't that big of an issue.

Again, you're right about the number, but if you don't see them as new pokemon, how would you describe them?
As forms of already existing Pokemon.
Mostly due to the difficulty in catching them all when the amount of Pokemon rises. And, BTW, they retired the "Gotta Catch em All" tagline in Generation 3, but then they brought it back in Gen 6 for nostalgia purposes.

Mostly due to the difficulty in catching them all when the amount of Pokemon rises. And, BTW, they retired the "Gotta Catch em All" tagline in Generation 3, but then they brought it back in Gen 6 for nostalgia purposes.
Those forms cannot be changed or reversed. Besides Lycanroc, what other examples of this can you site? Again, they're not totally new, and have no new number, but they are essentially different besides those 2 things, right? I mean, it's not official I guess, but they are really different.

oh yeah! Wormadam, too. Though that was mostly the typing, I guess?

Last edited:
To be honest, we are approaching 1000 Pokèmon, which we'll probably reach in 2 or 3 gens. Even without an official statement, I can see why Gamefreak would be cautious. They probably want to avoid overwhelming younger fans.
I see this as a legitimate concern and at the same time not. What you said makes sense but then again, younger children will only see the Pokémon available in the game they are playing, and since GF never makes a game with all the Pokémon, for all intents and purposes the new kids will never be overwhelmed by 1000 Pokémon to catch.

I see this as a legitimate concern and at the same time not. What you said makes sense but then again, younger children will only see the Pokémon available in the game they are playing, and since GF never makes a game with all the Pokémon, for all intents and purposes the new kids will never be overwhelmed by 1000 Pokémon to catch.
Good points! As Riley mentioned, gotta ctach em' all and being a pokemon master are not that related, I believe as they used to be. You can be a master trainer and still only catch 6 pokemon, even. That would be kind of silly though.

You don't have to catch them all though, I guess. More choice is good!

I think this is partially solved by the national dex being made unavailable in the games now, too. With only the regional dex, you pretty much just wind up collecting the fraction of pokemon available in that one region without being overwhelmed by the greater number of total pokemon existing.

Regional variants might slow down the national dex number from climbing, but it certainly doesn't slow down the total variety of pokemon to catch.

I think issue lies with them too.
I encourage anyone to go look up some trivia on a number of Gen 5 mons and see how many times Sugimori claimed he has artist block or wanted to fill a niche and the like.
They were overwhelming themselves.

Sorry to reply again, but I don't think I really said the right stuff, before. I meant to say that forms and regional variants really are different things, if you think about, and nothing else that they've ever added to the games really comes close. I'm not trying to bug ya, Riley. You always make good points.

Thinking more on this, what I'd really like to see going forward is more new regions being added with 70-100 new pokemon, and then remakes following with new regional variants being added, to show the gradual intermingling of regions... though how to explain any drastic changes to a species having happened in so relatively short a time does throw a wrench in unless we were to make a considerable jump in the timeline- not like the timeline really matters much since the games are scarcely interconnected anyway.

I encourage anyone to go look up some trivia on a number of Gen 5 mons and see how many times Sugimori claimed he has artist block or wanted to fill a niche and the like.

Gen 5 was a huge and ridiculous undertaking, adding more pokemon than even Gen 1 introduced- no wonder they struggled with it.

Well, the artist can say what he likes, I guess. He didn't create all of the gen 5 pokemon, though did he? I still like them, so once a pokemon is made, it's really up to us to decide if it's good enough, I'd say.

Well, the artist can say what he likes, I guess. He didn't create all of the gen 5 pokemon, though did he? I still like them, so once a pokemon is made, it's really up to us to decide if it's good enough, I'd say.
No, he didn't design them all, but even with a team of artists, you get some serious burn out when under pressure to create a ton of new designs. If they had stuck to ~100 new additions instead of attempting 150+, it would have been a lot easier on them, and we might not have gotten the underwhelming duo that is Basculin and Basculin. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom