• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Availability in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like us to stick with the same Hoenn dex and wait till we get the National Dex before adding any Sinnoh/Unova/Kalos Pokémon or any other Pokémon from Kanto/Johto that you needed the National Dex for.

I wouldn't. The Hoenn Dex needs more Pokemon to fix its distribution problems, waiting until post game to add Pokemon that would've been more helpful within the main game is such a missed opportunity.

I would like us to stick with the same Hoenn dex and wait till we get the National Dex before adding any Sinnoh/Unova/Kalos Pokémon or any other Pokémon from Kanto/Johto that you needed the National Dex for.

I wouldn't. The Hoenn Dex needs more Pokemon to fix its distribution problems, waiting until post game to add Pokemon that would've been more helpful within the main game is such a missed opportunity.

I agree. The small regional dex was one of my biggest gripes with the original. It doesn't have to a big expansion (not any more than 50 or so), just enough to add a little variety.

I just want to see Regigigas, Manaphe, and Phione added. I really don't have an opinion on others

You all think they're gonna put Deoxys and Jirachi in the game or give them out through events

Oh, GF will definitely use those as Events I guarantee you. The only question is whether they will give people them via WiFi or still force people to go to Gamestop.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but Steven should give us a Beldum before the post-game. Beldum are not available anywhere in the Hoenn region, and it seems unfair having to wait till post-game to get it.

I know we could simply trade over the Beldums from XY, but if Steven's Beldum is holding a Metagrossite or something, I'd dedinitely want that one.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but Steven should give us a Beldum before the post-game. Beldum are not available anywhere in the Hoenn region, and it seems unfair having to wait till post-game to get it.

I know we could simply trade over the Beldums from XY, but if Steven's Beldum is holding a Metagrossite or something, I'd dedinitely want that one.

If they make a Mega Metagross, then that's what they should do. And then put Beldum in Meteor Falls.

I can equally see them just expanding the Hoenn dex to include all the later evos and pre evos as HG/SS did, or they may take what was established in X/Y to heart and expand what is present since now pokemon can be tons more varied. (Hoenn divided by geographic areas? How would one do such a thing?)

I think the kami trio (reason: hoenns cover art pokemon for all 3 are known as the weather trio and those 3 are weather pokemon) should appear the same with the island that mew was on in emerald

With the Sevii Islands, version exclusives, Friend Safari, a Safari Zone that is closed until you beat the Elite Four, the Battle Frontier, new Pokémon in Sevii Islands and Safari Zone that replace common Pokémon, trading with X and Y, Swarms and tons of post-story content, the Pokédex doesn't need to be expanded. Sorry for those who want more Pokémon in the main story. But at least you'll get them after the Elite Four.

Why do you think Hoenn has distribution problems anyway? It was not something I thought about playing it, and apparently has 200 pokémon, and are as far as I can see not missing any types (like the fire problem in Sinnoh) What was the problems with it?

With the Sevii Islands, version exclusives, Friend Safari, a Safari Zone that is closed until you beat the Elite Four, the Battle Frontier, new Pokémon in Sevii Islands and Safari Zone that replace common Pokémon, trading with X and Y, Swarms and tons of post-story content, the Pokédex doesn't need to be expanded. Sorry for those who want more Pokémon in the main story. But at least you'll get them after the Elite Four.

I've already outlined what kinds of problems the main game has that would warrant an expanded Hoenn Dex, if you can't understand it, that's your problem. Putting Pokemon in post game isn't really much consolation, that doesn't really solve the problems that the main game has.

Also, last time I checked, you do not work at Game Freak, so who are you to say "Sorry, but there's not going to be any changes within the main game."?

True, I don't work for Game Freak. Maybe they won't even include the Sevii Islands or any of the stuff I want. Maybe they would change up the Pokédex to include new Pokémon. You can call me a purist, but I don't really like Pokédex changes. And the only time they changed up the Pokédex in a remake was in HeartGold and SoulSilver, and that was just to add five evolutions that were based on leveling up and learning a move. Couldn't they just removed the move from the Johto moveset and put a tutor in Kanto that would teach them the move needed to evolve? And they ignored other evolutions like Azurill, Honchkrow, etc. We don't know what's going to change. Sure, Platinum expanded the Sinnoh Dex, and Black2 and White2 added some older Pokémon to the Unova Dex. But I don't see any problem with the Hoenn Dex. You can call me a purist if you want, but I personally like the Hoenn Dex the way it is. If you think there's missed opportunities, well, this is a speculation forums. But I'll go by the Ruby/Sapphire listing and have the later Pokémon in post-game areas like the Sevii Islands.

And the only time they changed up the Pokédex in a remake was in HeartGold and SoulSilver, and that was just to add five evolutions that were based on leveling up and learning a move.

And it's possible that they'd handle this the same way. But at the same time, things have changed significantly since HGSS. They may not follow all of the same patterns now. In fact, already we've seen one pattern breaker, the existence of new forms for Groudon and Kyogre. Remakes have never done that before, so it's entirely possible that they're rethinking the formula.

Sure, Platinum expanded the Sinnoh Dex, and Black2 and White2 added some older Pokémon to the Unova Dex. But I don't see any problem with the Hoenn Dex.

Do I have to explain this to you a zillion times for you to get it? Take a look at DP and BW1, what was wrong with the regional dex in those games? DP was lacking in variety for several types, there were only two Fire types (one of which was a starter!), three Electric types, and two Ice types. There wasn't a whole lot of variety in the originals. Platinum fixed this rather conveniently by adding in the cross gen evolutions that were post game in DP, and added in Giratina and 8 random Pokemon (Scyther, Scizor, Swablu, Altaria, Houndour, Houndoom, Tropius, and Absol) to round things out. BW1 had 156 Pokemon in its Dex, all of which were entirely new. This resulted in repetitive distribution and a lack of options in the game. BW2 more or less fixed that with the 144 Pokemon added to its Dex more or less. Now let's take a look at Hoenn. Like DP, it is also lacking in variety for certain types. There's only two Ice types, four Ghost types (one of which is an obscure evolution which is hard to figure out), four Dragon types, and four Fairy types. And like BW1, there's a lack of variety in the distribution as well. Water routes are mainly Tentacool and Wingull, which is really annoying and repetitive, a couple of the areas in the game are fairly pointless and redundant distribution wise (Rt. 118, Rt. 123, Scorched Slab, Seafloor Cavern, Cave of Origin), and some other areas tend to double up the distribution by adding in unevolved Pokemon with their evolved forms (New Mauville, Victory Road). There is simply not enough Pokemon in the Dex to properly fix these issues, they need more to fix all of this. These problems mirror the kinds of problems that they fixed in DP and BW1, so I don't see how you can say that the expansions in Platinum and BW2 were any more necessary. The only legitimate reason I can see for not wanting to mess with the Hoenn Dex is nostalgia, and I'm not sure whether or not Game Freak are as purist as you are. I suppose only time will tell.

And it's possible that they'd handle this the same way. But at the same time, things have changed significantly since HGSS. They may not follow all of the same patterns now. In fact, already we've seen one pattern breaker, the existence of new forms for Groudon and Kyogre. Remakes have never done that before, so it's entirely possible that they're rethinking the formula.

Sure, Platinum expanded the Sinnoh Dex, and Black2 and White2 added some older Pokémon to the Unova Dex. But I don't see any problem with the Hoenn Dex.

Do I have to explain this to you a zillion times for you to get it? Take a look at DP and BW1, what was wrong with the regional dex in those games? DP was lacking in variety for several types, there were only two Fire types (one of which was a starter!), three Electric types, and two Ice types. There wasn't a whole lot of variety in the originals. Platinum fixed this rather conveniently by adding in the cross gen evolutions that were post game in DP, and added in Giratina and 8 random Pokemon (Scyther, Scizor, Swablu, Altaria, Houndour, Houndoom, Tropius, and Absol) to round things out. BW1 had 156 Pokemon in its Dex, all of which were entirely new. This resulted in repetitive distribution and a lack of options in the game. BW2 more or less fixed that with the 144 Pokemon added to its Dex more or less. Now let's take a look at Hoenn. Like DP, it is also lacking in variety for certain types. There's only two Ice types, four Ghost types (one of which is an obscure evolution which is hard to figure out), four Dragon types, and four Fairy types. And like BW1, there's a lack of variety in the distribution as well. Water routes are mainly Tentacool and Wingull, which is really annoying and repetitive, a couple of the areas in the game are fairly pointless and redundant distribution wise (Rt. 118, Rt. 123, Scorched Slab, Seafloor Cavern, Cave of Origin), and some other areas tend to double up the distribution by adding in unevolved Pokemon with their evolved forms (New Mauville, Victory Road). There is simply not enough Pokemon in the Dex to properly fix these issues, they need more to fix all of this. These problems mirror the kinds of problems that they fixed in DP and BW1, so I don't see how you can say that the expansions in Platinum and BW2 were any more necessary. The only legitimate reason I can see for not wanting to mess with the Hoenn Dex is nostalgia, and I'm not sure whether or not Game Freak are as purist as you are. I suppose only time will tell.

The only games were nostalgia is a must is red/blue remakes since their fanbase seems to only want the original 151 gamefreak should do what they can to improve the hoenn dex to make it more enjoyable the fanbase including the nostalgia tards of gen 3 ( myself included) will welcome the update.

Well, if you want them to change the Pokédex, that's your fanon. In my fanon, the Hoenn Pokédex is the same. And despite the type distribution, the only trainer who has infracted his type specialty in Hoenn is Steven. Some Leaders and Elite Four members may have had duplicates, but they didn't take Flint's path of having only a couple Pokémon as his specialty and using other types. And the part about only four Fairy-types, that didn't matter the first time because Fairy didn't exist back then. At least we'll have a couple of Fairies in the Hoenn Dex because of the amount of Pokémon retconned to Fairy. We'll just not have Pure Fairy types, and there is no Fairy trainer in Hoenn. And I doubt GF would change a Leader to a Fairy-type because in remakes, they've used the same leaders as the originals. It's just the third game and sequels that change the Gym Leader lineup.

And despite the type distribution, the only trainer who has infracted his type specialty in Hoenn is Steven. Some Leaders and Elite Four members may have had duplicates, but they didn't take Flint's path of having only a couple Pokémon as his specialty and using other types.

Using duplicates is no better than using Pokemon of a different type.

And the part about only four Fairy-types, that didn't matter the first time because Fairy didn't exist back then.

You're right, it didn't. It matters now, though.

At least we'll have a couple of Fairies in the Hoenn Dex because of the amount of Pokémon retconned to Fairy. We'll just not have Pure Fairy types, and there is no Fairy trainer in Hoenn. And I doubt GF would change a Leader to a Fairy-type because in remakes, they've used the same leaders as the originals. It's just the third game and sequels that change the Gym Leader lineup.

There's probably going to be regular trainers using Fairy types, though (they're probably going to bring in Fairy Tale Girls from XY), and how annoying would it be to see the same four Fairy types on their rosters. And then what about someone who wants to do a monotype Fairy run? It's not just about the gym leaders, that's just the most evident example of how bad type distribution can come back to bite you.

Why should it matter? Neither of us work for Gamefreak or Nintendo. Why should we be arguing about an expanded Pokédex? If Gamefreak does end up expanding the Pokédex, that's fine with me. However, I am expecting them to keep it the same.

The version exclusives will be the same as R/S. Considering both pairs of remakes didn't add any Pokémon (HG/SS adding 5 Sinnoh 'mons were necessary as those Pokémon evolved when a Johto/Kanto Pokémon learned a certain move, and that's unavoidable) Hoenn won't either, and will keep the version exclusivity from the originals with maybe 50-150 Pokémon max saved for the post-game, with those being the remaining Pokémon you can't find in X/Y.

Why should it matter? Neither of us work for Gamefreak or Nintendo. Why should we be arguing about an expanded Pokédex? If Gamefreak does end up expanding the Pokédex, that's fine with me. However, I am expecting them to keep it the same.

So why do you bother discussing including Kanto features? You don't work for Game Freak or Nintendo /logic

The version exclusives will be the same as R/S. Considering both pairs of remakes didn't add any Pokémon (HG/SS adding 5 Sinnoh 'mons were necessary as those Pokémon evolved when a Johto/Kanto Pokémon learned a certain move, and that's unavoidable) Hoenn won't either, and will keep the version exclusivity from the originals with maybe 50-150 Pokémon max saved for the post-game, with those being the remaining Pokémon you can't find in X/Y.

Well, FireRed and LeafGreen don't have the same exclusives as Red and Blue. You can catch Meowth in FireRed. But on the Hoenn mainland, it's pretty much similar to Ruby/Sapphire. You can catch Zangoose in OmegaRuby but not AlphaSapphire.

Just like how we got a Gray version 5th gen, right?

Well, FireRed and LeafGreen don't have the same exclusives as Red and Blue. You can catch Meowth in FireRed. But on the Hoenn mainland, it's pretty much similar to Ruby/Sapphire. You can catch Zangoose in OmegaRuby but not AlphaSapphire.

Pretty sure meant the Hoenn Dex, not version exclusives. There's definitely going to be more version exclusives in the game if they add more Pokemon, there's probably going to be some sets of version exclusive pairs added to post game and the Hoenn Dex if it gets a significant expansion. Hell, they might even go the FRLG route and make some Pokemon version exclusive over others, like they could decide to make Heracross/Pinsir version exclusive for instance. But I doubt that because most of the changes they made in FRLG seem to have been done for balance purposes (they removed Mankey/Meowth so that you could use Mankey against Brock, and they had to add in another pair to compensate, they also had to worry about balancing cross gen evolutions), they're probably not just going to make more version exclusive pairs out of the original 200 unless they have trouble doing so with whatever they add in the game (and I highly doubt that).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom