• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that you wish had different evolutions

Why is Krookodile not the same colour as Sandile and Krokorok...

I don't know if this has been done before but I was talking with my brother and realized there are quite a few Pokemon I like that I would use if they never, ever evolved. Does anyone else share this?

I like Trubbish and think (despite many opinions) that he's ultra cute. However, he evolves and I think "Oh, my God what happened to you?"
The same goes with Swirlix. When leaks of Gen VI came out I was so excited and wanted to use him. Why not? He's a cute little ball of cotton candy
that is just dandy. He was part of my original team, especially being a new type.... until I saw Slurpuff. I don't know why but he's just ugly to me? I wish, in fact, that he never had that hideous evolution. The shiny is a little cuter when it looks like flan but otherwise... meh. I feel this about Cincinno too since I don't like the ultra fur mode. Even Arcanine is kinda ugly to me. So, anyone have any mid/later evolutions that you can't stand?

Or maybe you have an early evolution you don't like seeing?

Me and my sister totally agree with everything you wrote and every one pokemon you mentioned.Thumbs up!

Spritzee, Swirlix, and Whismur. Spritzee was one of my favorites but then it evolved and... ugh. Swirlix also went horribly, as did Whismur. Zebstrika could have been better. It doesn't look very different, but it's still ok (mainly because I love horses and an electric zebra is hard to hate).

I dont like any Pokemon with just two heads ex: Koffing, Magneton, Valish. Vanilish had great potential, many things could have been done, but add another face is uninspired.

And I dont like evolution with very different designs. It could be the collor pattern, body shape, etc.. Ex: Eelektric, Octillery, Glalie, Dragonite etc...
I love Tynamo, but i think it and Eeelcktric should be separeted families. I know both are electric fishs, but just... No. The same for Octillery and Remoraid. Though it bothers me less, i see no sense in Dratini Line. Its final evolution should be Milotic, not Dragonite.

I really dont like cute Pokemons that evo into a ugly thing out nowhere. Ex: Tepig line, Licktung, Rhyperior, Tangela.
There is a difference between ugly and fearsome. For example, Charmander is cute but evolve into a badass dragon, and its possible to understand the differences, It makes sense.

And I really dont like when an evolution loses the secondary typing. Ex: Surskist evolution. Ninkada evolution (though Shedinja is cool, because its a plus pokemon).

Still mad that Tauros doesn't evolve to Bouffalant and Luvdisc doesn't evolve to Alomomola. Those seemed like the logical step but GF decided to make them into standalone Pokemons.

I think Glameow should have had a much better evolution that Purugly. o_o

Last edited:
Still mad that Tauros doesn't evolve to Bouffalant and Luvdisc doesn't evolve to Alomomola. Those seemed like the logical step but GF decided to make them into standalone Pokemons.

Couldn't agree more.I thought at first that Bouffalant must be definitely a Tauros evolution and Alomomla Luvdisc's evolution

I think Glameow should have had a much better evolution that Purugly. o_o

I think the concept is fine, the problem is in the execution. A lot of Gen IV Pokemon have this weird cartoony style that other gens don't have (imo). It's hard for me to explain what I mean by this, but when you look at Pokemon like Purugly, Drapion, Carnivine, Magmortar, Hippowdon etc they all have this goofy cartoon style about them which I think negatively affects their design's potential.

I'm sure someone will tell me that all Pokemon are cartoony or whatever, but I know that and it's not what I'm getting at. It's hard to explain. Basically I think there's a discernible difference between the style of a lot of Gen IV Pokemon and the style of other gens that makes them stand out in comparison.

So Purugly looks really awkward and cartoony to me. Which I think is most of my problem with it. Because well groomed cat -> fat pampered cat is a cool idea on its own.

Couldn't agree more.I thought at first that Bouffalant must be definitely a Tauros evolution and Alomomla Luvdisc's evolution

I know right. When those two came to my attention back in Gen 5 I seriously thought 'If those aren't evolutions of Tauros and Luvdisc, then Game Freak is starting to rehash old ideas.'

They're still doing it. Look at Dedenne ffs.

I love dragonite, but I wish it was separate from the other two. Dragonair is this really elegant, oriental - style dragon that out of the blue becomes Puff the magic dragon. I just think dragonite, as cool as it is, doesn't fit with the feminine elegance of dratini and dragonair.
Also, diggersby, the creepypasta Pokémon.

Spritzee, Swirlix, and Whismur. Spritzee was one of my favorites but then it evolved and... ugh. Swirlix also went horribly, as did Whismur. Zebstrika could have been better. It doesn't look very different, but it's still ok (mainly because I love horses and an electric zebra is hard to hate).
I totally agree about the fairies. I wasn't overly keen on Swirlix when i saw it, but Slurpuff totally ruins it. Spritzee on the other hand i find adorable. Couldn't be cuter. Then i saw Aromatisse, and while i do like it, it lost its cuteness. Not all fully-evolved pokemon need to be fierce or mean looking, some can be graceful like Milotic or Gardevoir. These two are neither - a bit disappointing considering their cute unevolved forms are pretty much unusable in battle.

I know right. When those two came to my attention back in Gen 5 I seriously thought 'If those aren't evolutions of Tauros and Luvdisc, then Game Freak is starting to rehash old ideas.'

They're still doing it. Look at Dedenne ffs.

Dedenne really should be an alternate evo for Pichu. Might make the resemblance actually bearable if there was a familial reason.

Murkrow is my FAVORITE pokemon. It's a little witch thing and its a clear crow with an actual crow-shaped beak (even if the color's off).

Honchkrow makes me sad. Droopy eye things? Mob boss? Thin sharp sparrow beak? What's with the color scheme change-up? And it's so fat! My "gym team" murkrow has eviolite, and that's just great, because he's never turning into that thing....

I think that tangela has the perfect blend of cuteness and weirdness, and I actually like it to the degree that it would be one of the pokémon that I would actively try to get if I lived in the pokémon world. Tangrowth, however... no. Just no. I also have serious issues with torchic's evolutionary line.

MAGMAR! :(
Actually, I think I'd like if it had no evolution at all.

Also Bunnbelby.

Magmar-- Just... what kind of monstrosity have you evolved into? Just make a new evo so we can forget about that one!
Electabuzz -- Same with Magmar.
Tangela -- Same
Lickitung -- Same
Swirlix -- Can we have one that's more aesthetically appealing?
Spritzee -- Same with Swirlix.

I came here just to say that.

Also, Lickilicky is an ungodly abomonation and should have never been created. A Lickitung evolution should have a longer tongue, for starters. Make it a bit larger and bulkier (not fatter), fix its face so it doesn't look like it's derping all the time, and change the evolution method. Maybe something like Magmar and Electabuzz, where it evolves while holding a... I don't know, a Gene Simmons action figure? Something tongue-related.

And while we're on the subject of Gen. I mons getting evolutions, I'm still disappointed Jynx didn't get one along with Magmar and Electabuzz. They really could've used it to drive home the point that Jynx is based on the ganguro fashion. I think.

> chinchou
170MS.png

chinchou looks gr8, definitely one of my favorite prevos. Then you have generically cute lanturn. Anglerfish should not be generic cutemon. The whole point of angerfish is to be this creepy fish thing. Chinchou is creepy (maybe eerie is a better word), while also being cute at the same time. Fuck lanturn.

> sliggoo
705MS.png

basically the same thing with chinchou here, the whole point of goomy and sliggoo is to be a bizarre looking slug/snail that's a dragon for some reason. Goodra might as well be dragonite covered in paint. It's generic, it's boring, and it ruins the otherwise cool evolutionary line.

> magneton
082MS.png

magnezone aint that bad, but it's still kinda stupid. Just like the previous two I mentioned, magneton would be fine being a final evolution, but I'd be okay with a better designed evolution.

> arnorith
347MS.png

I somewhat like arnorith's design, but when it evolves it just becomes kinda dumb. Like with magnezone, armaldo isn't nearly as bad as the trash that is goodra and lanturn, but I still don't care for it at all, and would have rather had a cooler ancient shrimpmon.

> makuhita
296MS.png

hariyama isn't that bad, but I vastly prefer makuhita's design. Currently makuhita is my favorite fighting-type, but I can't fully appreciate it due to its status as a pre evolution.

> surskit
283MS.png

wouldn't say surskit is particuarly cool, but I like its water/bug typing, and pond skaters are sorta neat. But instead we get bug/flying-type #685 with masquerain, and it's not even a pond skater, just being another damn moth. Admittedly, masquerain is among the better looking moths/butterflies, but it's still a disappointment.

definitely more than that but I can't list every single one. Was going to mention klink and floette but I just love hating on klinklang and florges too much. Floette and especially klink aren't really big losses in my eyes anyway, whereas I actually like everyfin on this list in some way or another, even if it's just a little.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom