• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RMT/Help My Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great answers "L" I found it very enlightening, but what happened to spore in my moveset?

If I put it the scenario, with your defensive spread and my moveset then wouldn't it go something like this?

Turn 1
Tyranitar used Stone Edge
Breloom switches in
Breloom loses 34.26% - 40.43%
Lost 6% due to sand
Breloom heals 12%

Turn 2
Breloom uses Spore!
Tyranitar fell asleep
Lost 6% due to sand
Breloom heals 12 %

Turn 3
Either Tyranitar sits there like an idiot or switches out.

(he sits there)
Breloom lost 25% HP (I'm pretty close to full health already aren't I?)
Sandstorm takes 6%
Toxic heals 12%

And from there I can Focus Punch, which still hurts something that is switching in on me, and leaves them with a sleeping tyranitar, (Due to sleep clause I can't use spore again without having killed tyranitar)

Next Turn:

I use Focus Punch or seed bomb because my substitute is still there to help me out and 2 STAB Focus punches or seed bombs will dent something even if it isn't weak to fighting won't it?

Worse case scenario is that upon the next turn, the opposing Poke can outspeed me, in which case I have three options A it OHKOs me and I'm done, B it comes so close that I couldn't substitute in which case I would depart with a seed bomb. C I switch and avoid the whole situation.

And If Tyranitar just sits there trying to wake up then I knock it out and have the option of using spore again on another pokemon that switches in.

With the proper defensive and Atk Evs I don't see why this wouldn't work, please point me out if I'm wrong I'm just speculating.

See, questioning does help since I forgot to factor in spore. Of course, there are the obscure restalk Tyranitar, but they are just that, obscure, so let's not dwell on it.

Of courrse, the hole in your strategy is the fact that in the competitive environment, people do play sleep clause (otherwise Breloom with it's spore would be king). That is when you should be warry.

And that only applies if said Tyranitar was not of the Dragon Dance version allowing it to outspeed you where it may or may not taunt. But I doubt you would wait until it gets the one Dragon Dance thens witch into a Stone Edge.

And then the Boah set just screws you up since it will be hiding in it's substitute, which is why one should not rely only on Breloom. (Hariyama on the other hand ^_^)

Great talking with you "L", I'm not planning on relying soly on Breloom but I do like to make my Pokemon able to "stand alone" *Indicates name lable*. I think I'll go with your spread but I enjoy my moveset more especially when I have feraligatr and other fighting types in my team.

I'd honestly just use Leech Seed on it and take out Spore. It makes itself more ;ong-lasting, while keeping both Seed Bomb and Focus Punch (or just go without Seed Bomb)

Thanks for all your help guys and I'll take leech seed into consideration.

L: One question about what you said about Weavile way back when. Where in the blazes did you get X-Scissor from? Because I sure didn't mention it anywhere.

With that said...sheesh, I look away for one day, and all this happens. Ah well, I've still got a team to rate. Kinda.

Lucario
-------------
I respect ShadyWolf. I think he's a good man. But quite frankly, I agree with everything that he just said.

Tyranitar
-------------
Not the most original moveset, but when you're Tyranitar, you don't have to be. Lum Berry makes sense, so...yeah. I'm being such a big help, aren't I?

Infernape
-------------
For a change, you could always try Sunny Day/Solarbeam over Nasty Plot/Grass Knot, but the fact it gets Nasty Plot kinda eliminates any real need to do something that could backfire as badly as Sunny Day. Get it? BackFIRE? Oh, I'm so clever. (shot) Aside from that, nothing new to add.

Electivire
-------------
Ice Punch over Iron Tail. Definitely Ice Punch. Gets ground and grass types, two of the main resisters of electric attacks. Fire Punch doesn't get anyone really noteworthy that another attack couldn't get as well (Well, there's always Abomasnow, but are you REALLY that worried about it? Because with this team, you really shouldn't.), and Rock Slide...meh, it's not going to lose any sleep because it can't hit fire/flying and ice/flying types for 4x damage. Which is basically what L said. So yeah.

Breloom
-------------
Spore/Substitute/Focus Punch? That's NEVER been done before. For something a little different, you could always try something like this:

Breloom @ Life Orb
252 ATK/252 SPD/6 HP
Jolly nature
-Seed Bomb
-Brick Break
-Stone Edge/Thunderpunch
-Spore/Swords Dance

Half as annoying as a regular Breloom? Maybe not. But twice as surprising. And sometimes surprising can be more effective than annoying.

Feraligatr
-------------
...Yeah, Brave is DEFINITELY not good on Feraligatr. I'd try and redo it to get a nature that's not -SPD, since its initial speed is kinda important. If you don't mind sacrificing a little accuracy for a little more power, you could always try Aqua Tail over Waterfall. Key word being could, since Waterfall's perfectly good itself.

Well, at least I contributed something at the end. Hope this helps...a little. 2/3s of it was basically agreeing with the others, but meh...

L: One question about what you said about Weavile way back when. Where in the blazes did you get X-Scissor from? Because I sure didn't mention it anywhere.

You said "Bug Move" if I recall. My process of elimination, the only move you could be talking about it X-Scissor being the strongest bug move it has in it's arsenal.

I blieve that it's just miscommunication on my side however. You said "or bug and fighting, Heracross will never see that coming."

I assumed you meant a combination of Bug and Fighting moves, however, now I see that you meant Aerial Ace to kill the Bug/Fighting type Heracross.

I, of course, can only use 6 of these 7:
Bagon (Salamence)
Garchomp
Milotic
Raichu
Rampardos
Snorlax
Torterra

Help please? A few answers in the next half hour would be especially helpful.

If you're looking for some sample movesets...

Salamence @ Lum Berry/Focus Sash
252 EVs ATK/252 SPD/6 HP
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace/Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPD/6 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Milotic @ Leftovers
252 HP/128 SA/128 SD
Bold/Calm Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Hypnosis/Dragon Pulse/Mirror Coat

Raichu @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SA/252 SPD/6 HP
Jolly/Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Rope
- Focus Blast

Rampardos @ Leftovers/Salac/Liechi Berry/Focus Sash
252 ATK/252 SPD/6 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch/Zen Headbutt

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP/52 DEF/252 SD
Impish Nature
Ability: Thick Fat
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Return

Torterra @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 DEF/6 ATK (I prefer to absorb physical attacks with Torterra, meh)
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Curse
- Rest

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPD/6 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Rampardos @ Leftovers/Salac/Liechi Berry/Focus Sash
252 ATK/252 SPD/6 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch/Zen Headbutt

For Garchomp I'd use a Choice band over a Life orb. Either that or swap Outrage with Dragon claw. And to narrow down the Item choice for Rampardos I'd choose Focus sash. Rampardos is very fragile and its too risky to use pinch berries without substitute.

Heres how my gym teams looking so far (its double battle btw):

Hippowdon@lefties
-Earthquake
-Rockslide/Crunch/Ice fang
-Curse/Rockslide/Crunch/Ice fang
-Protect

Bronzong@Lefties
-Earthquake/imprison/Gyro Ball
-protect
-explosion/Gyro Ball
-Trickroom

Rhyperior@Lefties (unsure what I could use over protect, which is needed incase of surf)
-Stone edge/Avelanche/Rockslide/Protect
-Earthquake
-Megahorn/protect
-Curse/protect

Slowbro@lefties
-Surf
-Trickroom
-Slackoff
-protect

Magnezone@Lefties/Choice Specs
-Protect
-Discharge
-HP ice
-Explosion

Dusknior@Lefties (This guy is only temporary while im still training. Ill sub him after my 7th pokemon is complete, I havent taken much into consideration with him)
-Protect
-Will O Whisp
-Shadow punch
-Ice punch/Earthquake

Vaporeon@Leftovers (she/he can get hp from Slobros surf and support my other pokemon)
-Protect/Blizzard/Icebeam/Wish
-Surf
-Blizzard/Icebeam/Wish
-Helping hand

Please give me some advice on these movesets ive constructed. Any help on deciding exacly what moves I should use would be apprieciated. This is suppost to be a trickroom themed team but as you can see it has become more dominated by double battle movesets and SS. So its A kind of DOUBLETRICKSTORM Team.

Last edited:
Well I'm not but those are still very helpful!

I'm saying that I have those 7 Pokemon, and I want 6 of them out with me but I can't decide.

Ah...my mistake. Well, I'd say you have a choice between Garchomp and Salamence, as three Pokemon with a 4x weakness to Ice-types would put you at an incredible disadvantage against Pokemon like Lapras, Weavile and offensively capable defensive Pokemon packing Ice-type moves. I'm inclined to say Garchomp over Salamence, because it has only two weakness to Salamence's three weaknesses.

To Empoleon Dynamite:

- Hippowdon: I'd really prefer Slack Off over Protect. I understand that Protect can help you scout out a Pokemon's moveset, inflict Sandstorm damage and furthermore provide Leftovers recovery, etc, but I'm seeing Curse-powered physical attacks and Slack Off as a better overall strategy. It's a matter of preference, I suppose.

- Bronzong: Once again, I'm not liking Protect; Bronzong has more to do in a turn than scout and stall with Leftovers/Sandstorm. I'd go Trick Room/Gyro Ball/Earthquake/Explosion, perhaps putting Hypnosis somewhere in the moveset.

- Rhyperior: It looks dandy with Earthquake/Protect/Megahorn/Stone Edge.

- Slowbro: I...can't say I'm entirely fond of a Slowbro moveset with only one attack. I'd recommend dropping Slack Off for Psychic, Ice Beam or Flamethrower.

- Magnezone: It's no secret that I find Hidden Power dull, and I prefer Flash Cannon, anyway. I don't know about Choice Specs in a double battle; all the switching seems to allow your opponent the chance to attack twice to your single attack, given that you'll quite possibly be switching Magnezone in and out.

- Dusknoir: It looks pretty standard. It's okay, I suppose. Dusknoir really needs a good physical STAB move...

- Vaporeon: Protect/Wish/Ice Beam/Surf is my recommendation. Why, you ask? Well, it seems ofttimes you'll be using Helping Hand on a Rhyperior Earthquake, Magnezone Discharge or some such that will likely ensure you haven't a turn to use Wish, then Protect for full recovery. Helping Hand seems too risky with the number of attacks that will hit Vaporeon in addition to both foes.

I don't usually advocate Protect on every Pokemon for a double battle team; it's not so spectacular as to be an auto-include for each Pokemon. That said, I say keeping 2/3 of your team with Protect should be sufficient. Hippowdon can withstand the seisms well enough, even without a Curse under its belt, and Bronzong ignores Earthquake. Surf could be problematic, but with Vaporeon you have the ability to recover HP or simply negate the damage Surf will do to your side of the field.

Heres how my gym teams looking so far (its double battle btw):

Hippowdon@lefties
-Earthquake
-Rockslide/Crunch/Ice fang
-Curse/Rockslide/Crunch/Ice fang
-Protect
Actually, unlike single battles, it's not really the wisest thing to bother trying to stat up in doubles. I wouldn't be to iffy on Hippowdon using Curse if it had an awsome Special Defense stat to begin with, but unfortunately it doesn't, but I guess it does work in tangent with Trick Room.

Bronzong@Lefties
-Earthquake/imprison/Gyro Ball
-protect
-explosion/Gyro Ball
-Trickroom
On Bronzong, I do agree with ShadyWolf. Unless your planning not to use Levitate, which I find incredibly foolish, especially in the double battle situation, there's really no need to fear.

Rhyperior@Lefties (unsure what I could use over protect, which is needed incase of surf)
-Stone edge/Avelanche/Rockslide/Protect
-Earthquake
-Megahorn/protect
-Curse/protect
I would take the Rock Slide on Rhypherior simply because this is a double battle and you get to hit both opponents. I actually would like to see Light Screen support on Rhypherior to further help with his water weakness. Coupled with some sand, and you've got yourself a pretty good special defense. I'd give Light Screen to Bronzong to help it out. It will also help out Hippowdon on the special side of things.

Magnezone@Lefties/Choice Specs
-Protect
-Discharge
-HP ice
-Explosion
Choice Specs in double battles is a no. Unlike in single battles where you are able to switch into a single Pokemon who can't actually harm you, you will have to contend with two attackers going after you, and with the ever powerful earthquake sure to make it's presensce known, using it becomes nearly suicidal (as if it wasn't anyway for all Pokemon in double battles). The only time I would use Chocie specs is if you were a trick user like Alakazam.

Dusknior@Lefties (This guy is only temporary while im still training. Ill sub him after my 7th pokemon is complete, I havent taken much into consideration with him)
-Protect
-Will O Whisp
-Shadow punch
-Ice punch/Earthquake

For Dusknoir, I would use something like this:
-Imrpison
-Earthquake
-Protect
-Shadow Punch
for further support, used in tangent with an exploder, and you will be able to block any chances your opponent has for escape. It's not a bad thing for it to lose out on offensives, since this is a double battle. If you can bring your team to work together, then it wouldn't be too bad if you had one or two Pokemon that acted as all-support.

ShadyWolf said:
Salamence @ Lum Berry/Focus Sash
252 EVs ATK/252 SPD/6 HP
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace/Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
I really can't agree with the use of Focus Sash on Salamence. With it's ability, and it's reisisances, it can actually work towards being slightly defensive, and has the capability of switching into other Pokemon. Leftovers would be preferable on this set, even Life Orb if you have Roost over Aerial Ace. AA and Stone edge really doesn't provide any sort of useful coverage seeing as the most common Salamence counters packing ice aren't even of the ice element. Flamethrower/Fireblast will help get rid of Skarmories, while things like Crunch will put an end to Cresselia, and the lesser used Mesprit, Slowbro, and a couple other counters.
The only thing that Stone Edge would get rid of that one could consider an Ice-type counter is Cloyster, which barely anyone would use (but I do since it's cool), but in my experiences, a Gyarados's Stone Edge has never really posed 2HKO unless they've Dragon Danced and hit me on the switch.

Lol at the fact that people even lead with them with this guy around. I'm wondering if Beat Up has any applications in killing Wobbuffet leads (lol at people leading with them when Tauntdos is the number 1 most used lead out there). You know, incase your fighting one of those people who would use it in OU just because the all might Colin decided to make it legal on the ladder, without proper reasoning as to why. No explanation, no tournament, no discussion. I'm willing to accept it's not uber if he can explain how it is counterable in the traditional sense, or, if he's like one of those people who says "just have either taunt/batonpass/u-turn/shedshell on all your Pokemon to counter it" how that is not considered overcentralisation.

Is fine. I would go with Over Heat > Fireblast on the Scarf set for more power and accuracy. In the Specs set, Fireblast would be the ideal options ince it has the capability of 2HKO on Blissey, but this is not the case.

I concur.

I don't think Shed Shell is that necissary on Skarmory when you have Whirl Wind. Just WW on your first shot to catch the happy-go-lucky Magnezones switching in, but if you feel you truely need it then fine.

If you do go with Leftovers, then consider Brave Bird aswell to hit taunters liek Gyarados harder.

Fireblast 2HKO's 0 HP Heracross, Flamethrower does not.

We all know what it does.

Seriosuly what happened to "other people will rate"

Well, I tried Gengar as a lead and took out Azelf. Gar really isn't too bad as a lead. I also replaced Skarmory with a ReSTalk Spiritomb to give me a better status taker as well as a Deoxys-E counter. And this isn't a Shoddy team. I go by the Marriland tier list, since Smogon's pretty copies whatever Colin does. After I won 20 matches in a row with Wobbuffet on Shoddy, I'm keeping it uber.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm pretty new to raising pokemon based on stats and natures, and I was wondering something.

You see, I reacently hatched three Piplup, and I am wondering witch one has the best nature for competive play:

Gentle, very finicky.

Bold, alert to sounds.

Rash, likes to relax.

I'm pretty sure the last one won't work, because Rash is a Spk.
nature I belive, and I'm going for a sp. wall.

Eh, none of them are really any good. If you could get a Calm or maybe Modest, then you'd be good to go. The best of the ones you have would be Bold.

Oh, that's good, because the father is a modest Empoleon! I guess it's off to contests for these guys. What move set would you recommend?

Yet another team. :D

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
---
This thing has swept so many times, I love it. Lum berry is for those annoying sleeper leads like Gengar and Crobat who tink they have me, bit actually just give me a free Dragon Dance. It is also for when Outrage confuses me, I can take out two or three more. Earthquake for Heatran and other Steel types. Fire Punch for Bronzong and Skarmory.

Froslass (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond
---
She's new to the team but has proven herself useful. With her frailty and speed she can usually pull off a Destiny Bond before dying. She's also got Boltbeam. :]

Umbreon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/6 Spd/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
---
This Umbreon is the god of stalls. XD It has won me matches time and time again. Even if their last Pokemon is a steel type, they get so annoyed and leave the battle, making me the winner. ;D Protect is for Leftover healing, or stalling, or Wish healing. Curse is to build of my normal defense to make it darned near impossible to KO without a critical hit.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Rest
---
Ye ole' standard. Also new, Not really enjoying it. Are there any other suggestions?

Weavile (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Night Slash
---
Focus Sash is to make sure I at least get an attack or one Swords Dance in, that is if theres no Stealth rock or Spikes. I don't use Pursuit because I'm terrible at prediction and am terrifed that when I use Pursuit, they wont switch. D:

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ground]
---
Theres no STAB here but when I did use Psychic, it turned out to be the move least used. I used to have nothing to hit Heatran with so I gave it Hidden Power. Grass Knot is for Tyranitar and Swampert, Flamethrower for those Steels.

The team's pretty well standard, but two problems are conspicuous to me. Firstly, Umbreon really needs an attack; losing to an arbitrary Substitute or a Steel- or Poison-type (not including other things, such as Immunity) is not fun. Everyone loves their stall Umbreon, I guess, but I personally prefer an Umbreon with an attack or two (especially when in conjunction with Curse). Something like this...

Umbreon @ Leftovers
252 HP/200 ATK/56 SD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Bite
- Iron Tail/Dig/Last Resort
- Moonlight/Wish

Random? Perhaps, but the moveset doesn't fold to two types, Substitute and other problematic situations. This moveset is far from invincible, but it's my moveset of choice for Umbreon.

Otherwise...I just have to recommend Psychic on Azelf. Why is Hidden Power: Ground so important? Heatran? Suicune does that job well enough, and Dragonite's Earthquake will cause immense problems for Heatran. I find it hard to pass up Psychic, especially on Azelf and especially when it's dropped for Hidden Power: Ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom