• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP16: A Triple Fighting Chance!

Still the best Sinnoh ep so far to me! The dub handled it well.(Except for Staravia using Brave Bird. That was quite annoying.)
I don't usually talk about VA's but Ash's was pretty good in this ep. Its nice to hear him sound more like a guy. Maylene's VA was good too. She sounded better than in the previous 2 episdes.

This is the first time I've noticed a major difference in the volume of the Japanese BGM; the part playing when the roof gets destroyed in particular.

As I kinda expected, at the end of the battle where Buizel and Lucario stare each other down music was added, whereas in the raw all you could hear was the rain. It was expected, but disappointing nonetheless.

This gym battle rocked. Now I expected the tie, I was unclear last time. Again, highlights was the final matchup Lucario vs. Buizel. Great matchup. There was one line from Maylene that was stupid, I forgot what it was about the weather. I mean, it's Buizel's friggin' natural ability, and it depends on the weather, so how can Ash use it at the right time? He can't just let it rain. He can make it rain, but that's a totally different story altogether and he's not the type of guy to do it.

Glad to hear aura and Lucario use it. Now if only we get some interaction with Ash in the future. I still love Lucario's Force Palm. When it got Buizel, it the same "oh shit!" expression on Buizel's face. Ki blast to the face!

I was kinda freaked out from Staravia and Chimchar's confused states. I never knew the purple eyes signify that. I wish Chimchar brought down Meditite though.

Dawn's been on the low recently. The cheerleader thing, and her lines are becoming lamer. Typical silly Ash to use a brand new move over and over again until he realizes the effects from it.

Ash sounded well today. Not so much annoyance, so that was good. Did the previous narrator not play the referee this time? And how come in the beginning, the current narrator's voice was so...low? Now I see why Meditite's voice was annoying. Staravia still kills me. Fat ladies all over the place.

This episode proves that it was a bad idea for Staravia to learn Brave Bird. He obviously doesn't have the stamina to handle it yet.

It appears Buizel learned how to use Water Pulse by watching Lucario focus its power in a similar way.

I think the Aura thing is becoming old...

AWESOME EPISODE. Buizel's battle is full of win. But I feel sorry for Chimchar...his first Gym Battle with Ash and he doesn't win either of the battles he participates in...poor thing.

No, whenever you deal with Riolu and Lucario, you deal with Aura.

No, whenever you deal with Riolu and Lucario, you deal with Aura.

And Togekiss, which knows Aura Sphere as well. =P

Not that it means anything important compared to those two. xD

One of the best episodes on DP. I do like how they made Bone Rush. It's now my favorite anime move.

Sorry for the delay but I´ve been on holiday for some days

Finally, I´ve also managed to watch the episode and here is my review:

Undoubtedly, the best and most demanding gym battle yet.
An episode which only consists of one single battle from the very first minute until the end is what I´ve always desired.
The Sinnoh gym battles, especially this one, are out of all proportion to the former ones because as I´ve just said, they are much more demanding and elaborate.
Seeing the unexspected power of Ash´s Pokemon and his own progress gives me great pleasure.
Finally, Staravia got enough screentime to show that it´s more than the obligatory bird-like Pokemon which Ash has always caught as his first Pokemon of a new region so far.
But I just can´t get why this echoing in Staravia´s voice while using Brave Bird bothered you so much. In my opinion, it made the attack more impressive and terrifying ^^
Chimchar unfortunately couldn´t shine but I won´t give up hope that some day it will have a big hit during a gym battle.

And now let´s talk about ther highlight: Lucario vs. Buizel
Besides Charizard, Garchomp and Pikachu, Lucario is my absolutely favorite Pokemon:
It behaves nobly, it looks nobly and it fights nobly. Just an almost perfect Pokemon!
Although I was first underwhelmed by the fact that Ash got a Buizel, now I´m impressed, not by its design but by its will power and courage!

Two such hot-headed Pokemon fighting against each other: That promises fireworks of action and a firece battle.
Buizel really overexerted himself, but how heroic was it to see it not giving up under any circumstances and fighting till the end!

Lucario, my favorite, and Buizel, and example of sheer will power...there is only one thing left to say: Marvelous!

But, so that you don´t think I would have a srew loose, I also want to criticize two points which bothered me:

- The music was totally insufficient for such an epic battle and didn´t fit into the episode at all! Shame on you PUSA. A heroic battle deserves heroic music as well!

- The sudden shower of rain was a pure deus es machina method!! I detest such cheap devices!
Dear Writers, Ash could just as well have won this battle without Buizel´s ability. I thought the times of cheap, incomprehensible plot devices were finally over. But there´s still hope of improvement, especially as the Sinnoh adventures have caused so many innovations which hardly anybody had expected before. So, please, do us a favor and cut that out finally!

To sum up my review:

A pure battle episode with great scenes, fantastic Pokemon and an outstanding performance of Ash´s Pokemon rightly award this episode the title "Best Gym Battle so far".

I've been a bit out of the loop due to computer trouble, so forgive me if this has been discussed to death...
but did anyone else find it a little weird (in a good way sort of) how Maylene sounded exactly like Misty most of the time? It was strange to hear Misty's voice coming from someone else. Not a big deal by any means, nice to see one of the old crew back, blah blah blah, but not something we're used to hearing, either.

I've been a bit out of the loop due to computer trouble, so forgive me if this has been discussed to death...
but did anyone else find it a little weird (in a good way sort of) how Maylene sounded exactly like Misty most of the time? It was strange to hear Misty's voice coming from someone else. Not a big deal by any means, nice to see one of the old crew back, blah blah blah, but not something we're used to hearing, either.
You thought so? Even after learning of Maylene's VA in the Lost Leader Strategy review thread, I never once thought her voice sounded like Misty's. I even paid special attention to it to see if it seemed familiar, and nothing about it sounded like the Misty or Jessie of the 4Kids era. Maybe I know nothing about voices...? o.o;

Wow, I thought the strong similarity was pretty clear. I'm surprised to see an opposite opinion. Could it be because you haven't actually heard Misty's voice in a long time? And like I said, I don't think she always sounded just like Misty, but she did most of the time, such as for example during battle and when giving Ash the badge.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom