• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP52: Sleepless In Pre-Battle!

Jukain

Aka: Sceptile
Reaction score
This is it! The final episode of the season. Oh, and Cresselia vs. Darkrai. :p

I'm watching this episode now, and imo, I think it sucks. The whole sleeping thing was... annoying.

And Dawn remembered her Lunar Wing at least. The only thing connected to the movie, besides seeming suprised at "Darkrai.

Probably the best line ever: "It's arresting time!" - Jenny

And how did Dawn have a nightmare if she had a real Lunar Wing.

I have to say imo, this was as bad as the Chingling ep. The music was good though. And Piloswine just sounds... kinda retarded.

D+

Good animation so far.

I like how the gym looks, unique.

odd way of saying hello.

lol, good observation Ash.

I could never fall asleep standing up.

I would be scared too if some random guy said my name.

wow, jenny got punked.

I like their indian outfits.

Wow, I would never expect them to have a nightmare machine.

sigh..., stock footage motto.

Save it for jail...and then blast them off.....wow.

The island looks pretty neat.

lol random psyduck.

OMG, Swinuub tandomly appears. Forget it exists.

Good music when Cressila appears.

Wow, Jessie looked scary in that shot.

Why is this awful, awful dub music playing. What was playing during this scene?

Interesting explanation for Darkrai Brock...

lol, now I see why the title in the Japanese version was sooo bad. Could be much worse though.

Good episode, but music could have been a bit better.

Is it just me, or is Brock extra creepy today? Movie 10 reference. Arrested Development :p I like it when TR alters the motto. Piplup, you are not a dog. Wow, Swinub gets to do something. (BTW, a pig works just as well) It's the same aurora that heralds Cresselia in Ranger 2. The Magikarp sub has legs? o.o ...yeah, short battle. That's a lot to go through just for Swinub to evo.

This was a boring filler in both Japanese and English. They didn't explain anything well in this episode like "why did Darkrai come so early?" Also the whole Creselia VS Darkrai was so boring even though that was the name of the episode in Japanese. The Music was OK.

Hard to call it Darkrai vs. Cresselia when it occurs for, what, five seconds?

The battle should have been on Fullmoon Island. Save Swinub's evolution for the next episode.

It's also like they needed to shove that battle in to make some sense. If you're going to have a battle between two Pokemon, much less two legendaries, give them the same amount of screentime and not have Darkrai sit out...

i just saw the episode, i never understood why it was called Creselia vs. Darkrai in the Japanese version when the fight was like, less than 2 minutes. This episode wasn't 'bad' it's just disapointing that all the action was in the last 5 minutes. At least Swinub evolved

Obvious lamefest is obvious. If you're going to have two legendaries fighting, then how about you actually MAY WAKE FOR THE LEGENDARIES instead of giving them a guest-starring cameo. Hmph.

Whoever wrote the episode should be canned...unless it was a storyboard first, then whoever did that should be canned...unless it was animated to poor specifications, then the animators should be canned.

Actually, whoever wrote the episode should be canned too.

The animation itself, whatever. The entire episode was...gah. Tripe. Crap. Shite. Bull-doings. Heel scuff. Fecal to the faaace. Et cetra.

...I top off my annoyance with whoever wrote the English script and confered for the CC should be canned. That Gym ref? Is not a "boy", thank you! Them's manly muscles. The only arresting redeeming value is Jenny's explosion from the precinct.

This was a boring filler in both Japanese and English.
Unfortunately, it ain't a filler, given that Swinub evolved...though the episode is so poor that you forget that fact.

Unfortunately, it ain't a filler, given that Swinub evolved...though the episode is so poor that you forget that fact.

It evolved? lol

Anyway I this they should have saved the evolution for the next episode...:sweat:

...I top off my annoyance with whoever wrote the English script and confered for the CC should be canned.

It's too bad I can't get episodes with closed captions... why no one uploades them?! I really want to watch the episodes this way, it could be much easier for me to understand all the dialogue better

That Gym ref? Is not a "boy", thank you!

Heh, the Hebrew dub probably wouldn't even notice next season he's actually this same guy from this episode... I'll note that in the lists I make them

It was nice to see some continuity to movie 10 with the Lunar Wing
Too bad in countries like here in Israel, most of the viewers won't get this reference since we don't get movies anymore
I really hope the move to Jetix will cause us to get movie 10 at least, it did air on Jetix UK right?

didn't explain anything well in this episode like "why did Darkrai come so early?"

It came because of TRio's nightmare machine... I'm pretty sure they clearly said it

I thought it was a decent episode. Nothing too special, but seeing Swinub evolve was pretty good.

Yeah, this is easily the worst legendary battle in the entire series. It was like they weren't even trying, which is surprising cause a lot of DP mini-arcs are usually good.

The funny thing is people used to think the Groudon Vs. Kyroge battle was bad, but compared to this disaster, it made Groudon Vs. Kyorge look like a masterpiece, lol.

Also, anyone notice Swinub's evo was an almost rehash of the way Phanpy evolved? Attacking TR's mecha and failing until it evolves?

Well, with any series Scott, after a while things will start to look familiar. Besides, nothing wrong with rehasing old concepts if they work.

I have a feeling that this episode was written by someone who prefers Cresselia over Darkrai. And I mean REALLY prefers her over him...

And Scott, I have a hard time believing that you're able to call THAT a battle at all.

Wow. This episode just begs for a WYDS - something that would make SENSE of the entire thing. It's not only that one plot point didn't lead to another, I could barely identify the plot points in the first place.

I'll have to watch it a couple more times before I can identify just where the plot structure breaks down...but I can't remember an episode I wanted less to watch again. Compared to this one, my previous least-favorite episode (Shell Shock) was a logical and tightly plotted wonder. At least that one seemed to lead from one action to the next, even if the events themselves made little sense....

I always TRY to look on the bright side, but dang - this one was badly handled. No matter how good my natural talents at optimistic denial, I don't think I can make a Milotic out of this Feebas, nosireebob.

<*gets psychotic look in her eye*> But WE cans....oh, yesssss, Precious, we canssss....and don't calls us Bob....

Yeah, this is easily the worst legendary battle in the entire series. It was like they weren't even trying, which is surprising cause a lot of DP mini-arcs are usually good.
Dude, this episode isn't a part of any mini-arc. Barry went that way *points left* yesterday, and Riley's coming this way *point right* tomorrow, making this piece the break between mini-arcs (and if it wasn't for Swinub, it would have been total filler material), SO. No, wrong call there.

And you can't compare this to Groudon/Kyogre. That finale had been in the process of a set-up since AG002. If all that subplotting only amounted to what was given in the two-parter, oh yes, people will be annoyed. Of course.

/This/ is just fanservice fluff to remind the audience the writers still acknowledge the games' proximity to New/Full Moon Islands, and it phailed. Pretty fantastically. If it was a two-parter, I'm sure it would have been done so much better, because then, there would have been time to do Epic Proportions.

/This/ is just fanservice fluff to remind the audience the writers still acknowledge the games' proximity to New/Full Moon Islands, and it phailed.

Did they mention New Moon Island? I only heard Full Moon Island... (see, that's why I need CC, there's a lot of stuff I could easily understand if I could just read them instead of try to understand what they say)

Can someone think of a worse battle in the series? I can't recall something quite this pathetic.

sigh..., stock footage motto.

Except for the dark circles under their eyes. :p

Actually, whoever wrote the episode should be canned too.

Unless you want to piss off Rocketshippers, I'd say no. What they should do is only have Takegami write Rocket episodes, because the majority of his other episodes tend to suck really bad. (He also did that dumb one where the guy has to make some bridge)

I have to agree "It's arresting time!" is the greatest line this show has had in a while.

...A nightmare machine? Really?

Why is everyone in this show either really good, or really bad at cooking?

Didn't Dawn already have a real Lunar Wing? Why did she get a nightmare?

Why does Piplup suddenly have the ability to track by scent? It's a Pokémon and all, but I'd imagine one based on a penguin should not be able to smell.

Hmm, Meowth acknowledges he has thumbs. Odd.

I'm typing this before it happens. Swinub is about to evolve. Exactly like Chikorita did. ...And yep, there it goes. Hiya, Piloswine. I've been expecting you. About time the group gets a behemoth. I would've expected Dawn to be less happy about the cuteness, though.

Why are Cresselia's feathers green when there's no green on its body?

Why do legendary Pokémon capable of absolutely ridiculous and awesome attacks insist on ramming each other? Even regular Pokémon don't do that. I'm talking to you too, Mewtwo and Mew.

Overall, not a bad episode (by this show's standards), but somewhat underwhelming for a season finale. Especially considering last season's finale. But considering the show is not written for a season format, and the new season starts next week, I'll let it slide.

Last edited:
THAT'S IT?! Two epic Pokémon in a non-epic ramfest? I'm going to go watch "Rise of Darkrai" and get my real epic battle fix.

Piloswine, on the other hand, not bad!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom