• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP09: The Bloom Is On Axew!

Scolipede sure is huge. In contrast, Excadrill's smaller than I thought it would be.

Character-driven episodes sure are fun, aren't they? It says a lot about the new trio that just watching them talking in a tree can be entertaining. DP trio this isn't.

Ash vs. Pikachu? At least the once-again hyperactive and goofy Ash makes for a few good laughs. :p

I have to wonder how Iris got Exadrill in the first place. I hope this is brought up at some point, rather than just the story about obedience. Because unless Iris is revealed to have a third Pokemon, I just won't get it.

I like that her first episode of focus showed why she is inactive as far as battles go. Some past characters stood in the background even though they had usable Pokemon. This makes me appreciate her inactiveness because I can sympathize with how useless she must feel when things heat up.

I also like how involved she is herself. Jumping around trees, swinging on vines, saving Ash in the third episode, gathering fruit quickly, etc. She seems really helpful to the team. When she didn't have a Pokemon to help her, she saved Axew herself. Its like seeing another Ash, because he loves to get involved himself. Finally, Ash vs. Pikachu made me smile.

This was another great BW episode. Not as good as the las one, unfortunately.

Iris was all good the last episode for not calling Ash a kid, which is getting annoying. Now she does. Also, Ash is a little kid now.

Excadrill and Scolipede were cool. Axew was cute, and we actually get a back story now.

Iris was all good the last episode for not calling Ash a kid, which is getting annoying. Now she does. Also, Ash is a little kid now.

It's her catchphrase she says it. The writers aren't gonna drop it like a dead rat. Besides wasn't Ash being pretty mean by calling Dragon Rage "Dragon Sneeze"?

Excadrill I'm anxious to see it battle again.

Iris refused to battle Ash cause she said she wouldn't win. It was a quiet way for her to complement Ash.

Last edited:
Flint's name isn't mentioned until he actually appears and reveals it himself... which is next week.

So the dub kept Flint's name as-is? Didn't see *that* coming.

You think it may clash with the Elite Four Member's name? Probably not since we might not see him again in Unova. But I heard somewhere one of Brock's sibling's name is Flint so that may be a bit confusing when the special is in America.

You think it may clash with the Elite Four Member's name? Probably not since we might not see him again in Unova. But I heard somewhere one of Brock's sibling's name is Flint so that may be a bit confusing when the special is in America.

Brock's father, actually...

we get a lil more info on Iris and her Axew in dis eppy and it, so far seems to be the only Iris-centered eppy along 2-3 others

Perfect 10/10

Scolipede sure is huge. In contrast, Excadrill's smaller than I thought it would be.

Scolipede is the largest bug type in both height and weight (over 8 feet and nearly 450 pounds!) while Excadrill is only 2 feet 4 inches tall.

This episode was very good since it should shed some light on Iris's progress.

Looking back at Team Rocket's scene, I can't help but cringe since we'll probably never find out the actual reason behind the mission now.

This is one of my favorite episodes, Ash just cracked me up here and I do feel he was right here as well. Its annoying how Iris wouldn't battle Ash and wouldn't really listen to him but whatever. Ash V.S Pikachu was always one of my favorite parts of the episode. Hey yah never know, Ash could win one of these daysXD

Not a bad episode! Thank God it was not one of those typical CoD episodes but a plot full of profound elements and mature talks.
OK, admittedly the writers could have spared us that rather awkward scene right at the beginning in which Ash didn't notice that it was just a training battle. Being an advanced and pretty experienced trainer, he should have known that in this kind of battle it's not mandatory that you sweep the floor with you opponent every time. So, it was a disturbing scene considering that later on he was able to give Iris good advice. It's something that's bugging me about B/W! Sometimes Ash is shown as a complete rookie and a few seconds later, he seems to be back to normal all of a sudden. I'd appreciate it if the writers could finally make up their minds what role Ash is meant to play in Unova.

Also, I didn't understand why Scolipede was so overpowered. Yes, I know the Anime is not the games but if you look at Scolipede's stats, you'll see that it's only pretty fast but not strong. So even if the Anime has its own logic, it should respect the basics and mustn't make a Pokemon stronger than it actually is.

Looking back at Team Rocket's scene, I can't help but cringe since we'll probably never find out the actual reason behind the mission now.

Are you saying that in the Japanese eps Team Rocket has already failed and that the whole "The new Team Rocket"-thing and their mission was completely wasted? Usually I only look at the episode pictures if there's something important happening in the Japanese eps but please don't tell me that this is true! It would mean that the last good element of B/W is history.:banghead:

No, the two Rocket/Plasma episodes were put on hold because of the recent events in Japan.

Yeah I know that.
I'm just wondering why PDL said that we would never find out the true reason for their mission now. After all, if said episode are just postponed we will find out sooner or later.
So, I thought that Team Rocket must have failed and that no reason whatsoever was mentioned. You know, the same unsatisfying conclusion like in the Team Magma and Team Aqua episodes

Also, I didn't understand why Scolipede was so overpowered. Yes, I know the Anime is not the games but if you look at Scolipede's stats, you'll see that it's only pretty fast but not strong. So even if the Anime has its own logic, it should respect the basics and mustn't make a Pokemon stronger than it actually is.

Dude. It's a giant Centipede, and the largest of all bug types. One that was growing increasingly irrate, at that. And they were trying to subdue it with pokemon much, much smaller. How is it not logical that it would be able overpower them?
Even going by game stats, it would have easily destroyed all the pokemon that were sent out against it since, y'know, they're all statistically weak, pre-evolved pokemon anyway :S

Speaking of which; Scolipede is a beast in-game. I'm using one currently in Pokemon Black, and ironically, the only thing that's stopped it dead in it's tracks thus far has been Clay's Excadrill :p

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom