• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP32: Facing Fear with Eyes Wide Open!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
For those who solely watch the dub, you may be interested in: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/upcoming-area-discuss-anime-without-spoilers-info-japan-118662/

BW32 - Facing Fear with Eyes Wide Open!

With Trip's observation of Oshawott not opening its eyes to see whenever it uses Aqua Jet still on his mind, Ash decides to take the Sea Otter Pokémon to a nearby lake to practice opening its eyes under water while the rest of the group's Pokémon play together. Having wandered off from the others, Scraggy encounters a group of Foongus and used Headbutt on them! With the rest of the group scurrying over to find out what happened, all of them get caught up on the Foongus' PoisonPowder! Will Oshawott be able to find the necessary herb to heal them which is found only on the lakebed, despite being unable to see underwater?

Osha? :eek: Evil Palpitoad lurks. So there is a samurai in him after all. Stunfisk laughs at you. FISHING TIME Go, Aqua Jet. Osha : D So happy.

You know, I thought I was going get an awesome episode of all the Pokémon getting into pre-film-short style antics, but sadly that was shot down pretty early on with Dwebble popping the ball and then everyone getting poisoned.

While I'm glad they decided to address the developments of the previous episode at once, I'm irritated that Oshawott is already getting yet another training episode dedicated just to him.

I mean, he's had the Sandile episode, the episode where he loses his scalchop, the episode where Oshawott trained to fight Lenora, and even the episode where Ash catches Tepig was nearly more about Oshawott than Tepig himself, aside from that fact that his main gimmick is inserting himself into scenes and battles that otherwise wouldn't have been involved him at all.

I actually LOVE Oshawott, but why can't Snivy and Tepig get even half of Oshawott's screen time?

Still, its nice seeing the actual literal "training" of a Pokémon, which is something that this series seems to place unique emphasis on.

I also love Cilan with the epic fishing rod deployment sequence.

This was actually a great episode, but I'm annoyed by the fact that Cilan and particularly Ash have caught NEW Pokémon when the ones Ash in particular already has get very little screen time anyway.

And as a final note, for the first time ever, this episode made me feel like Pikachu wasn't really necessary and is just taking up space purely for the sake of tradition. They give Oshawott so much attention in this series he might as well take over as Ash's "shoulder Pokémon" so maybe the others can get some more attention.

EDIT: Silly question aobut Pokéball lockouts removed.

Last edited:
Oh, and since when do PokéBalls merely stay locked in storage mode if the Trainer has more than six Pokémon with them? The last time I remember this issue being addressed in the anime, the seventh Pokéball was explicitly explained to be teleported into storage, though this explanation actually makes more sense to me.

In Best Wishes, this was changed so that it stays locked when a Trainer catches a seventh Pokemon.

Oh, and since when do PokéBalls merely stay locked in storage mode if the Trainer has more than six Pokémon with them? The last time I remember this issue being addressed in the anime, the seventh Pokéball was explicitly explained to be teleported into storage, though this explanation actually makes more sense to me.
The ball locked when Ash caught Sewaddle in BW018.

Still really liking how they've handled Palpitoad's voice (though it's a shame it has to say it's whole name) and they did a great job with Stunfisk too, who sounds as close to Muggyo as they could possibly get. While it's not been 100%, it feels really great to catch episodes of this series dub and be able to enjoy the majority of the 'mon's voices.

I like how the pokeball locks now its more um feasible I would have to say than being teleported away which still was pretty cool. I completly had forgotten about the snivy/emolga rivalry and it brought me to remember in this episode. I hope there is a bigger interaction between those two. When scraggy headbutt all those foongus I thought it was hilarious! not sure if anyone else thought that.

I really liked this episode. Yes, I agree that Oshawott is getting a little too much screen time (I really want more development of Tepig and Swadloon), but I'm ok with it because he's awesome. He's easily one of my all-time favorites of Ash's Pokémon. Another thing I really like about this episode- and maybe this is weird- is that Ash caught a Pokémon in an episode that didn't completely revolve around that Pokémon. It's just one more thing that makes this series feel like classic Indigo League (and that makes me oh so happy). I mean, that happened quite a few times back then, but has only happened once or twice in all the years since. Also, two major characters catching a new Pokémon in the same episode is pretty darn cool. Has that ever happened before? I can't think of a time...

How did Ash know what those Tympole were?
Quite good episode, I like stunfisk now a little more. But there was too much Oshawott considering we only had an episode focused on him a couple of weeks ago.

I liked stunfisk's laugh because it sounded like croagunk

I'm watching the episode right now and it's a pretty good one. I'm at the part with the Tympole attacking Oshawott.

I see Emolga and Snivy's rivalry are still going. Snivy was really epic when Emolga threw the ball at her. The whole playing scene was really adorable.

I see this episode has three parts: Oshawott's special training, all the Pokemon's sicknesses, and the captures.

So they say miles in this episode. Do they say kilometers instead in the Japanese version.

EDIT 1 (9:17 AM): Oshawott finally opened his eyes! And, Derpfish! Fishing time!
EDIT 2 (9:19 AM): Derpfish's exit out of the water was epic! And, Palpitoad! Plus, another stupid commercial break!
EDIT 3 (9:24 AM): Oshawott's so awesome! Palpitoad sure is strong!
EDIT 4 (9:26 AM): It's Double Capture time!
EDIT 5 (9:28 AM): The shot of Oshawott at the end was SO cute!

And that wraps up my review. Tune in for next week!

Last edited:
Definatley my favorite episode of BW! Let's see....

Good
+Oshawott masters Aqua Jet, defeats Palpitoad, finds the cure for eveyrone's poison, and he's just so fricken adorable in this episode!!!!
+Cilan is a fricken badass!!!!
+Love the way they did Cilan's "It's lunch(and fishing) time!"
+DERP FISH!!!! That voice is awesome and I love the laugh.
+Love the way Palpitoad sounds.
+Anyone notice how there's some remixes of music from the original series?

Bland
-Why the hell does Ash need to look up Palpitoad....AGAIN?

Bad
-F*** you Scraggy! It's all your fault everyone got poisoned cause you're such an idiot!

I liked this episode when I first watched it and I still like just as much.

I'm glad the "IT'S _____ TIME!" was executed well in the dub.

I want my own Stunfisk kite!

This was easily one of the better episodes of BW for me! But, really Ash, why did you have to look up Palpitoad again? You just did that last episode!

I liked this episode. It was enjoyable to see Cilan performing his "It's _____ time" things, and I liked Stunfisk and Palpitoad's voices. But there were a couple things that bothered me:
1. What made Oshawott afraid to open his eyes in the water in the first place? It just seems unnatural and unexplored.
2. Why did Ash need to scan Palpitoad again when he did it IN THE PREVIOUS EPISODE? I know he was underwater when he encountered the Tympole, but THOSE were what he should have checked.

My guess that Mijumaru had issues with its eyes because, as an otter, he's based off an aquatic MAMMAL as opposed to an aquatic reptile or fish. I can't explain its ability to breathe underwater though XD

My guess that Mijumaru had issues with its eyes because, as an otter, he's based off an aquatic MAMMAL as opposed to an aquatic reptile or fish. I can't explain its ability to breathe underwater though XD

It's kind of an unwrtten rule that every water Pokémon has the ability to stay underwater indefinitely. Although I have no idea if Misty's Psyduck is exempt from this or not.

My guess that Mijumaru had issues with its eyes because, as an otter, he's based off an aquatic MAMMAL as opposed to an aquatic reptile or fish.

Yeah, I think the writers just wanted to give it a fear a lot of kids could relate to. I know I used to be scared to open my eyes underwater, so this was very relatable and made it more enjoyable for me.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom