• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So, are humans on Poké Earth human, animals or are they Pokémon?

Midnight Blue

~Love Is Hard To Define~
Reaction score
Scientist in our world have a mixed discussion that humans are considered as animals. Others do not, they consider us as a whole different group. So, are humans considered as just humans, or are they considered as Pokémon? Or are they animals? Real animals were seen in the early days of the anime and are still heard in the anime to this day in recent episodes. And they are referenced in the games as well. So what do you guys think?

Re: So, whatcha think, are humans, human, animals or are they Pokémon?

That people eveolved outta some pokemon long ago if you mean in games

I think humans are classified as regular humans. I also believe that real life animals never existed in the Pokemon World. It wouldn't make much sense if that was true.

The humans in the Pokémon world are regular humans and I don't think there are animals there although Ash is seen eating burgers and other stuff in the anime on several occasions and I'm not sure what Pokémon food consists of.

Depends whom you ask. One of the sinnoh myths answers this; apparently the first person was a pokemon that left behind its skin to walk naked. I like this explanation, even if its just a poetic summation of the actual events which lead to humans & pokemon co-oexisting. Make of it what you will.

I think humans are classified as regular humans. I also believe that real life animals never existed in the Pokemon World. It wouldn't make much sense if that was true.

Actualy it makes perfect sense if you give credence to the theory that pokémon are aliens that have taken up residence on the Pokémon world (which is strongly suggested in both the aniand games).

Imagine it: The pokemon world is completely normal, animals [possibly including primitive humans] living together as they do. Then, for X reason, strange ceatures start appearing. They might be from another planet, dimension, naturally evolved, made by Unown w/e you want. They're suddenly popping up all over the Earth.

With their far superior powers & abilities its easy to imagine that the pokemon out-competed almost all but a select group of animals which fell into ecological niches untouched by pokemon & potentially humans, who would eventually master them, though they could also have appeared later. This would lead to the rapid decrease in overall animal population & biodiversity (from competition) accompanied by a sharp increase in overall pokemon population & biodiversity (evolution), both due to natural selection.

Humans aren't techincally animals, but we share a number of common traits with primates. So in a strane way, yes. Pokemon are somewhat human.

Scientist in our world have a mixed discussion that humans are considered as animals.
The only exception is some religious phylosophies. Not to say anything against them, but it's far from scientific.

In the pokémon games, from what I know some things suggest that pokémon were in the world long before humans. They are also said to be "not too different", so they aren't pokémon, but something similar.
Probably humans are to pokémon the same trees are to certain pokémon.

As for fanon, epileptic trees theories... I say there are animals in the pokémon world, and that pokémon are a paralell to youkai, with humanoid pokémon the result of former humans turned into monsters.
(In fact it wouldn't be far fetched, as things turning into pokémon is actually referenced. Voltorb, a relatively modern pokémon, is a transformed pokéball that appeared in one of the first factories. Grimer seems to have similar "transformation" origins too.)

Last edited:
Humans are animals in real life (no matter what ANYONE says it's true)

and since Pokemon is the Pokemon equivalent to animals..(I think)

if so...then yes, Humans are Pokemon

weird

This. But if they were Pokemon, Wouldn't pokeballs work on 'em?

Humans aren't techincally animals, but we share a number of common traits with primates. So in a strane way, yes. Pokemon are somewhat human.

Yes. Yes, they are.
Species: Homo Sapien
Genus: Homo
Family: Hominidae
Order: Primates
Class: Mammalia
Phylum: Chordata
Kingdom: Animalia
Animal kingdom = animals. No getting around it.
I say humans in the Pokémon World are human. Just makes things less complicated.

Just a slight intervention; this thread isn't to turn into a debate about humans in the real world.

It's very hard to answer. One the one hand, humans do not evolve the same way. They do not have the same powers... for the most part. Sabrina has demonstrated psychic abilities and Riley has Aura. It seems to me humans are, very distantly, related to pokemon but evolved in a different method to become a more dominant species.

There was something I saw a long time ago by one of my fave artists (and friends), Esepibe. It was of a caveman fakemon named Homan. http://esepibe.deviantart.com/art/The-lost-link-132419594

Needless to say, it got me thinking about Humans and Pokemon. The "folktales" from Canalave library came to mind first:

There lived a Pokemon in a forest.
In the forest, the Pokemon shed its hide to sleep as a human.
Awakened, the human dons the hide to roam villages.

There once were Pokemon that became very close to humans.
There once were humans and Pokemon that ate together at the same table.
It was a time when there existed no differences to distinguish the two.

Even people back when those folktales were wrote thought that humans and Pokemon were once very alike.

If a scientific approach is taken, assuming from our limited knowledge of the ancient Pokemon world that Pokemon have been around since before humans (like animals on Earth), then "Homan" would make sense as the missing link between Humans and Pokemon. Perhaps it would be like Humans evolving enough from apes to differenciate ourselves. We may be related to them but we are sure a lot different, and yet the same.

Perhaps PokemonHumans evolved to the point where they no longer had any protective coatings and things that made them Pokemon like humans on Earth.

My thoughts are is that in movie 12, we found out the Pokémon were once called "magical creatures". This theory is anime only, not for the games. We are still not sure when the term "Pokémon" came into use. But, like I talked about on Bulbapedia, Ash and his friends might have created the term, but that is just speculation. We don't know if before they were called magical creatures, they could have been called animals or just creatures, and somehow, these animals/creatures started to split into a whole new group, they developed powers and other things that maybe the people of the ancient past thought were magical, which maybe why they were called "magical creatures" or just saying "magical animals". So, these creatures were divided into 2 groups. And humans could have been either still in the animals/creatures category or not in neither one at all. Does any of this make any sense at all??

If memory serves, in the anime, if a Poké Ball hits a human, it just bounces off instead of trying to catch it.

Humans ain't Pokemon.

With a mustache.

To be fair, that proves nothing, there could be any number of reasons that you can't catch humans with a pokeball; that feature was disabled/never invented to prevent people taking criminal advantage of it.

Also, even though we're related to animals it doesn't mean our Biologies are exactly the same and neither do they react the same way in various situations. For example, some bacteria "feed" on sulpur compounds, which are highly toxic to us humans and yet both are related.

The only thing we can extrapolate from that is that pokeballs do not capture humans for w/e reason(s) (though the rice ball incident does remind me of the food = pokemon theory...)

maybe pokemon are a differernt kingdom to animals, or plants. pokemon like bellsprout or sunflora are not considered animals, are they? I dont even consider pokemon like porygon or magnemite or voltorb to be alive, dispite the fact they can breed.

pokemon like bellsprout or sunflora are not considered animals, are they?
They're plants (abide anthropomorphic ones).

Wumbo said:
I dont even consider pokemon like porygon or magnemite or voltorb to be alive, dispite the fact they can breed.
They're alive but simply inorganic.

Edit: I remember there are some references to the real world in the games. Depending on how big or small this relation is, Humans from the pokemon world could of evolved from real world animals that either lived before pokemon or at the same time as them.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom