• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theorymonning: What if this Pokemon had...?

If Ferrothorn was a spinner, and a team relies on Gengar to spinblock, Hidden Power Fire might a bit more valuable. I think Magnezone would increase in usage, but then Shed Shell would too. I'm not accounting for rain, though.

Gengar didn't carry hp fire for foretress in gen 4,not much reason for it do so this gen.Actually, dusknoir is a much better spinblocker than Gengar. Gengar can be used as a offensive spinblocker, BUT I HAVE ACTUALLY USED A SCARF CHANDELURE for this role and it was absolutely devastating.

Gengar didn't carry hp fire for foretress in gen 4,not much reason for it do so this gen.Actually, dusknoir is a much better spinblocker than Gengar. Gengar can be used as a offensive spinblocker, BUT I HAVE ACTUALLY USED A SCARF CHANDELURE for this role and it was absolutely devastating.

Rotom-A was the most commonly used spinblocker in DPP OU. Most people used Gengar for its offensive capabilities rather than its ability to block Rapid Spin.

Rotom-A was the most commonly used spinblocker in DPP OU. Most people used Gengar for its offensive capabilities rather than its ability to block Rapid Spin.

Yes but rotom-a is gone now and gengar is the "candidate" for offensive spin-blocking ( and annoying with disable).

Blastoise should get Slack Off and Water Absorb to actually make it a competent wall. Also, Shell Smash, for offensive purposes and because it makes logcal sense.

If Cofagrigus got Pain Split, would it be a better Pokemon?

Anyway, I think something missing from both Serperior and Lilligant is coverage, Lilligant more so. Therefore, it will be interesting if they have more moves to make them more flexible offensively, since their movepools are more Support-centric. I can see them becoming more useful with Earth Power, because they have the capability to use it, and it gives Hidden Power another type to choose from!

For some reason, I think Torkoal and Pinsir wished for a better type combination. Torkoal has the moves (I must add that Torkoal can learn Stealth Rock too!), but not the type. If Torkoal is the Fire/Steel type, I can see it becoming a better Rapid Spinner because a viable Fire-type Rapid Spinner is something that will be successful, with the existence of Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn and more. Even Shell Smash can be a surprise move, although the Speed doesn't seem attractive. As for Pinsir, I think the part Ground-type will be a good choice, considering that its one of the Mold Breakers (it can learn Stealth Rock too, good for ignoring Magic Bounce) and the Rock weakness is gone. It will also be a crucial point to differentiate itself from Heracross.

That's it for now.

Blastoise should get Slack Off and Water Absorb to actually make it a competent wall. Also, Shell Smash, for offensive purposes and because it makes logcal sense.

I think I would still use Vaporeon over Blastoise, but it does have Rapid Spin going for it. Shell Smash might be outclassed by Omastar.

If Cofagrigus got Pain Split, would it be a better Pokemon?
I'd imagine it would, it would likely outclass Dusknoir, but would have trouble finding a spot instead of Jellicent or Dusclops, but Mummy gives it a niche use.
Anyway, I think something missing from both Serperior and Lilligant is coverage, Lilligant more so. Therefore, it will be interesting if they have more moves to make them more flexible offensively, since their movepools are more Support-centric. I can see them becoming more useful with Earth Power, because they have the capability to use it, and it gives Hidden Power another type to choose from!
This ends up happening with many Grass types, they both really would appreciate the coverage since Grass Types usually need three types in total for optimal coverage, Earth Power would really help, but Dragon Pulse would even would for Serperior.

For some reason, I think Torkoal and Pinsir wished for a better type combination. Torkoal has the moves (I must add that Torkoal can learn Stealth Rock too!), but not the type. If Torkoal is the Fire/Steel type, I can see it becoming a better Rapid Spinner because a viable Fire-type Rapid Spinner is something that will be successful, with the existence of Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn and more. Even Shell Smash can be a surprise move, although the Speed doesn't seem attractive. As for Pinsir, I think the part Ground-type will be a good choice, considering that its one of the Mold Breakers (it can learn Stealth Rock too, good for ignoring Magic Bounce) and the Rock weakness is gone. It will also be a crucial point to differentiate itself from Heracross.
I was pissed when I found out that Scyther got an evolution, but Pinsir didn't. It still has hope if Game Freak ever decides to make an Evolution for it, same with Torkoal. But yeah, they would love those typings.

Snorlax wants Slack Off. Rest is alright (I don't really like it), but Slack Off would be a huge boon for it.

I'm not understanding Quiver Dance on Flygon, but otherwise it does seem logical. If Levitate Pokemon has Dream World abilities, I'm certain that it would have Tinted Lens, which would give it a Niche over Salamence, and with Dragon Dance, it could have had a niche over Garchomp.

I always see Quiver Dance meaning the way in which bugs flutter/quiver-about when flying (IDK why Lilligant learns it...). Flygon is extremely bug-like, so it makes perfect sense.

But flygon already has perfect coverage in three moves(dragon/ground/fire).

Unresisted Dragon-attacks?

Hydreigon really needs dd,np or agility.

100% agree with you on this.

Last edited:
Klingklang: Could be Electric/Steel, get Levitate and Wild Charge

Slaking: Any ability would make fine and it would be fearsome

Rotom: Calm Mind

Zebstrika: Flare Blitz

Electivire: Volt Tackle. Despite its exclusivity I think it could've beneefitted hugely from this

Magnezone: Torment. Balloon Magnezone could be just as effective as TormenTran. Shift Gear too

Lanturn: Hydration, Swift Swim or even Rain Dish and I'd be happy.

Raichu: Baton Pass

Stunfisk: SERENE GRACE! Dunsparce gets it and it's the weird trolly thing GF would do. Besides, SG Scald, Discharge anyone? Stockpile, Slack Off, Stealth Rock

Ampharos: Could've been Electric/Dragon and maybe got DD. It's Japanese name means Electric Dragon.

Electrode: More coverage. HP and Electric moves do not provide coverage. It could even get Rapid Spin, imo.

Emolga: Nasty Plot

Serperior: Dragon Pulse, Earth Power

Special Electric or Physical Rock priority moves

Klingklang: Could be Electric/Steel, get Levitate and Wild Charge
It has a lot of Electric capabilities, so the typing could work. Levitate would DEFINITELY work, and it'd be useful in killing that massive Ground weakness that an Electric/Steel-type would have. Wild Charge is also a boon.

Slaking: Any ability would make fine and it would be fearsome
I wouldn't say Slow Start or Defeatist would be fine, XD. But yeah, unshackling it and giving it something like Guts or Sheer Force would definitely make it fearsome. (Huge Power would just be plain overpowered!)

Rotom: Calm Mind
I'd think Rotom is anything but calm. I don't see it concentrating enough to make the move work. It would be great, though.

Zebstrika: Flare Blitz
It already has Flame Charge and Overheat. I don't see a problem here.

Electivire: Volt Tackle. Despite its exclusivity I think it could've beneefitted hugely from this
A base 120-power move with STAB comin' off that great Attack? DO WANT.

Magnezone: Torment. Balloon Magnezone could be just as effective as TormenTran. Shift Gear too
TormenTran's pretty frustrating, but Magnezone's good enough with a Charge Beam trap set with Magnet Rise. Could work, though; hey, it has Taunt.

Lanturn: Hydration, Swift Swim or even Rain Dish and I'd be happy.
I thought you'd be satisfied with Volt Absorb or Water Absorb; healing immunities are always epic. Any of those Abilities, preferably Hydration, could replace Illuminate, though.

Raichu: Baton Pass
Could work. It has Nasty Plot and Agility.

Stunfisk: SERENE GRACE! Dunsparce gets it and it's the weird trolly thing GF would do. Besides, SG Scald, Discharge anyone? Stockpile, Slack Off, Stealth Rock
I guess Serene Grace could work. Stockpile and Slack Off would make it viable as the defensively-minded Poke it is, and Stealth Rock would be helpful.

Ampharos: Could've been Electric/Dragon and maybe got DD. It's Japanese name means Electric Dragon.
It'd be interesting to make "Denryuu" part Dragon-type, but names alone don't really justify anything; after all, there's nothing else about it that's draconic in any way.

Electrode: More coverage. HP and Electric moves do not provide coverage. It could even get Rapid Spin, imo.
That base 140 Speed has been put to waste for far too long, I agree. And Rapid Spin would definitely work.

Emolga: Nasty Plot
It's definitely capable; look at the one belonging to Iris, XD. Nasty Plot would also make it viable; it has great Speed and decent Sp. Attack for boosting.

Serperior: Dragon Pulse, Earth Power
Both could work, and Earth Power would be particularly helpful.

Special Electric or Physical Rock priority moves
I AGREE.

It has a lot of Electric capabilities, so the typing could work. Levitate would DEFINITELY work, and it'd be useful in killing that massive Ground weakness that an Electric/Steel-type would have. Wild Charge is also a boon.

Even if it got Magnet rise, it'd be pretty darn good anyway. You could always give it a balloon too. Shift Gear/Steel physical move/Return/Wild Charge is much better coverage than what it gets now

I wouldn't say Slow Start or Defeatist would be fine, XD. But yeah, unshackling it and giving it something like Guts or Sheer Force would definitely make it fearsome. (Huge Power would just be plain overpowered!)
It really does have the stats to make it work. Hell, even Moxie, Intimidate or Simple would be amazing.

I'd think Rotom is anything but calm. I don't see it concentrating enough to make the move work. It would be great, though.

252 HP/252 Defense/4 Satk Bold, Leftovers. Calm Mind/Thunder/Hydro Pump/Pain Split would be absolute rape on a Rain team. But yeah, its sprite makes it look pretty agro XD

It already has Flame Charge and Overheat. I don't see a problem here.
Its physical movepool consists of Wild Charge, Flame Charge, Return and Double Kick. Flame Charge suits it and maybe a few other strong physical moves.

A base 120-power move with STAB comin' off that great Attack? DO WANT.
Never gonna really happen though :/

TormenTran's pretty frustrating, but Magnezone's good enough with a Charge Beam trap set with Magnet Rise. Could work, though; hey, it has Taunt.
Its resistances are crazy and I could easily see it come in on a Metagross. Torment turn one and alternate switching between Protect and Charge Beam on the resisted hits. Zone could get Shift Gear but it wouldn't be amazingly helpful.

I thought you'd be satisfied with Volt Absorb or Water Absorb; healing immunities are always epic. Any of those Abilities, preferably Hydration, could replace Illuminate, though.
Volt Absorb is handy, yes. Illuminate and Water Absorb really don't cut it.

Could work. It has Nasty Plot and Agility.
Not to mention Encore and Baton Pass. Could definitely pass to a PZ in RU and rape

I guess Serene Grace could work. Stockpile and Slack Off would make it viable as the defensively-minded Poke it is, and Stealth Rock would be helpful.
Well it does seem born to be a status monster and it beats Static, Limber and Sand Veil

It'd be interesting to make "Denryuu" part Dragon-type, but names alone don't really justify anything; after all, there's nothing else about it that's draconic in any way.
Yeah, it gets Outrage as a 4th gen tutor iirc but meh

That base 140 Speed has been put to waste for far too long, I agree. And Rapid Spin would definitely work.

It's definitely capable; look at the one belonging to Iris, XD. Nasty Plot would also make it viable; it has great Speed and decent Sp. Attack for boosting.
See Raichu

Both could work, and Earth Power would be particularly helpful.
It could even get like Water Pulse or Sludge Bomb easily

Entei with Earthquake AND Earth Power. Makes sense for something that's born every time a volcano erupts. Earth Power could be used to hit Pokemon weak to it with lower Special Defense (Such as Rhydon), or certain Pokemon with Intimidate (Like Luxray), or Earthquake could be used to complete a physical movepool of Flare Blitz, Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Extreme Speed. I'd like to see Arcanine give it competition for a slot now.

Entei with Earthquake AND Earth Power. Makes sense for something that's born every time a volcano erupts. Earth Power could be used to hit Pokemon weak to it with lower Special Defense (Such as Rhydon), or certain Pokemon with Intimidate (Like Luxray), or Earthquake could be used to complete a physical movepool of Flare Blitz, Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Extreme Speed. I'd like to see Arcanine give it competition for a slot now.

Just Earthquake would be a huge boon to it, but Arcanine still has Close Combat which provides similiar coverage.

What if Pidgeot had higher attack and speed and access to a more wider movepool it could easily outclass staraptor and most flying types. Really the offensive movepool GF gave it is sad and depressing.

What if Pidgeot had higher attack and speed and access to a more wider movepool it could easily outclass staraptor and most flying types. Really the offensive movepool GF gave it is sad and depressing.

That could be said for any pokemon that is outclassed, and that scenario ends up being the most unlikely.

That could be said for any pokemon that is outclassed, and that scenario ends up being the most unlikely.

Still they could just increase its movepool so it isn't so pathetic and I would still be happy.

Still they could just increase its movepool so it isn't so pathetic and I would still be happy.

What do you believe it should have to distinguish itself from other Normal/ Flying Types?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom