• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Top 5 languages you are learning/want to learn (other than English)

Ho-oh

Reaction score
READMEFIRST!

We have a thread (it's pretty much dead, however) about current languages, but none about the ones you want to learn.

And so: what modern human languages would you like to learn, and which of those are you learning?
Include an asterisk with those you are already fluent(or partially) in and are still improving yourself.

I am currently learning the following (all of which, not including the first two are the result of a bet), by level of experience:

1) Mandarin Chinese (simplified)*: took classes in high school and still learning advanced concepts (and I'm still not so good at writing, and to think my handwriting was bad enough already). It was actually harder starting out, but once you can start pronouncing (each character can have up to four different tones) the words right, it's very easy to learn. Grammar is pretty straighforward and similar to English. E.g. "ta shi ge ren" is literally he/she/it is a human (depending on how you write the character. Note that this is not always the case). Study 15-20 minutes per day. 4000-4500 words, spoken language is totally fluent (aside from accent).

2) German: classes right now and learning alone. Due to its relative simplicity compared to Chinese, my knowledge should reach my English and Chinese level within a year or two. Easiest language so far. Grammar can differ greatly from that of English, but I caught on pretty quick. 1+ hours per day, including studying for exams. 400-900 words.

3) Spanish: am learning alone. Grammar is fairly similar to English; the only obstacle is learning the vocabulary and pronunciation 200+ words; simple phrases. Common language in the US.

4) Japanese: It's pretty annoying that Kanji is identical to Hanzi. The only differences are the pronunciation. For example, the island nation of Japan is 日本(国) in both Chinese and Japanese except that in Mandarin Japan is Riben(guo; roughly translated to the Sun Nation) and in Japanese it's Nippon (which pretty much means the same thing) and some other word which I forgot. Easier than Chinese, but time constraints, lack of motivation, and language confusion are definite obstacles. Grammar is also vastly different from English. Don't wanna continue learning, but I don't go back on my word. 100+ words; I suck at this language.

5) Latin: Relatively good progress so far; grammar is complex but words are easy to say. Several hundred words, most of which are either English roots or scientific terms.

I also want to learn French, Russian, and other world languages, but to learn that many at once is crazy.

And yeah, mostly languages with easy grammar (by that I mean similar to English to some degree).

the only other language I'm learning is French and I know a bit of Spanish but I want to learn Japanese, Chinese and German

I'm currently learning German... I'm so used to learning English (for about a decade) that it feels strange starting from the ABC...

1) Tamil. It's my native tongue, though I'm nowhere near as fluent in Tamil as I am in English. Thus, my mother's been taking me to classes every Saturday to learn how to glibly read, write, and all-round communicate in the said language.

2)
Italian. I've learnt it for around 6 years, though I've had to drop the subject in school due to the lack of elective choices. That being said, though, I'm willing to take it up again during my later years of life.

Other Three) Latin. Spanish. Hindi. They've personally been intriguing languages, and I've always wanted to learn them... but I guess my laziness accounts to why I haven't even bothered to take up any classes for them yet, let alone attempt while lonesome.

And for other preferences, definitely Japanese, Arabic, and German. As for these, they are just as intriguing as those listed above.

I'm currently learning Latin and German. I might want to learn some languages like Italian, or Norwegian or something just for fun (but that's only after I mastered German)

1.)Spanish-Course at school- I took it in Highschool for the last two years and am currently in my 2nd year. I'm not fluent, as I'm still in the beginners course, but we are learning simple-past tense right now.

2.)Tok Pisin*-Learning on own- Pidgin based on English and New Guinea languages. Not too hard to learn the grammar (Basically, Melanisan grammar w/English words at time). I still need to learn many words, like tech-stuff (Computer, CD, etc.)

3.)Russian-Learning on own- Yeah, I know my ABCs. And can write them in Russian cursive. I hope to be able to work on this more during breaks. =(

Forgot to mention, I've studied Russian for three years and since I'm slavic and my native language is close to it (Russian alphabet comes from my country's native alphabet) I can say I'm fluent in it. But I haven't spoken or written in Russain for 2 years so I'm starting to forget the details...

I'm quite fluent in French, and I'm trying to learn Japanese, German, Italian, and Russian.

I wanna learn japanese! It would make more fun to watch anime!

I also would like to master Arabic. And Urdu.

Well
i learnt French at school but i have forgoitten most of it now
we really dont teach a lot of langauges here unless you do it off your own back
I would love to learn Japanese and have tried a lil of the basics
i would also like to learn BSL British Sign Language
Chinese

1. Farsi. So I can talk to my dad's side of the family T_T
2. Spanish
3. Japanese

Thats all. I'd be so happy if I were fluent in another language. I used to speak fluent Farsi, but I forgot it once I stated going to school.

I took Spanish classes for a while, and now I'm trying to learn Japanese. It's actually really similar to Spanish.

I'm not trying very hard though xD

I speak Spanish and have taken Latin for 3 going on 4 years so I'm pretty decent in that. It's hard for me to say what other languages I would like to learn as there are so many. I guess Japanese, French, German and Italian come to mind, but I would be open to learning any language really.

1) Japanese - I haven't started yet.
2) Latin - I am pretty much fluent
3) French - Same as above
4) German - It's rather close to English
5)

French <333. That's my favoutire language and the only language I"m really paying attention to now. >.>. I did Spanish for quite a while, an' a I know quite a lot of it too. I doubt I want to learn anymore but I my mid changes Japanese/ Italian would be my pick.

1: Japanese (I know a bit or words and at least I can make a sentence in Japanese)
2: German (Mostly because lately I'm interested in WWII games nowadays)
3: Russian (Same as German)
4: Visayan "A sub-language here in the Philippines" (Different from Tagalog, I want to learn it because it's the second most used language here in the Philippines)
5: French (Just to fill in the fifth choice)

Back
Top Bottom