• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think is the most disappointing attack animation?

SinCosTan

God forgives, I don't.
Reaction score
Has there been an attack where you thought a cool animation would occur? Then when you use it the opposite of what you thought happens.

For me that move has to be energy ball. I was expecting something similar to a generic anime, where it looks like a...I don't know? An energy ball?

In the game it looks an exploding ball of mucus. At least my future offspring will be able to summon energy balls at will (from their noses).

The Gen III version of Frenzy Plant was kinda lame. The most powerful grass move ever, and it's just a bunch of roots coming toward you? Seriously? The Gen IV version is slightly better, but mostly the same.

Oh if only I can remember all the ones I hate. Here goes:

Spacial Rend. I suppose the graphics are kinda cool, but the sound effects are terrible. Pathetic. Roar of Time puts it to shame.

Judgment could be better for what it is. Maybe a different color for each plate?

I actually think generation four Flamethrower was kinda disapointing

And Razor Leaf in generation two was immense, I don't know why they changed it.

Ice Beam and Aurora Beam are kinda disapointing now too, and Fly was better in Generation three.

Solarbeam in Generation 3.

In Gen 1, it was this awesome sun beam that made the entire screen light. In the second it was even better and looked like the ultimate grass move.

Third? All beam attacks were terrible there, but this one was the worst. I was hoping for a solid ray in the mystery dungeon games, with linear range... but nope.

The fourth gen version is interesting... I preffer the first games' ray more, but I like it very much.

In fact there are a few moves whose animations are the best in the first gen, even if they later changed what the move actually does. (most notably Surf and Toxic, where probably because of weather effects were changed)

Last edited:
I was disappointed with the animation for Steel Wing in Gen IV. The Gen III version looked much cooler with the metallic sheen, and here they simply have a couple of grey wings. Not nearly as impressive.

I forget which one it was, but Solarbeam's animation where it appears to be a strand of DNA hitting the opponent. That just never appealed to me.

Oh, I got a BUNCH.

Gen IV Focus Blast
Gen III Frenzy Plant
Gen III Rock Slide
Gen III Thunderbolt
Gen IV Brine

DON'T even get me started on Gen I and Gen II.....T_T

I was disappointed with the animation for Steel Wing in Gen IV. The Gen III version looked much cooler with the metallic sheen, and here they simply have a couple of grey wings. Not nearly as impressive.

I forget which one it was, but Solarbeam's animation where it appears to be a strand of DNA hitting the opponent. That just never appealed to me.

That'll be the retarded looking Gen III verison of it.

Gen III Razor Wind doesn't even look like wind. Its just random lines of red and blue.
Gen IV Giga Impact looks nothing special. Making the dark and hitting your foe with circles of red is lame.

Water Gun and Ice Beam in the fourth gen.
Also, Sheer Cold in the fourth gen as well (the Platinum animation).
You'd think because it's called Sheer Cold you'd see your opponent/whoever you used it on inside a block of ice, but instead, they have just ice blowing around..

Healing Wish. I mean, look at regular Wish, and then the move that actually kills you is nothing more than a pale orb leaving the body...

spacial rend noise was meh
hydro cannon only seemed to make sense on blastoise

Heal Block could have been made a lot better.

I'll have to second Energy Ball [Gen IV/V] and Gen IV Return, and add Gen IV Solarbeam and HGSS Psychic to the list.
For being a move based on the bond of a trainer and Pokémon, Return sure is lame. It's...a tackle. Wow.

Solarbeam and Psychic are just plain eye rape.

I was hoping Energy Ball would look prettier and more shiny in Gen V, and it turned out to be the same as Gen IV with a more annoying sound effect. The same applies to Shadow Ball but to a lesser extent, because I do like the animation but was expecting a change.

Speaking of annoying sound effects, the likes of Screech and Psycho Cut in Gen IV and Pursuit in Gen V drive me up a wall.

I won't even touch Gens I and II. Massive ear rape.

Steel wing(IV) as its Gen 3 animoation looked cool and iron tail(III) as its just wimpy and frenzy plant in every gen its in.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom