• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think the cities and towns in X and Y will be named after?

Quetsol Melt

Destined for Greatness
Reaction score
The question is simple what do you guys think the new cities and towns in X and Y will be named after? Generation 1 used colors for the cities and towns except for Pallet Town which wasn't a color but still had a connection to colors due to the thing an artist uses for painting. Generation 2 used flowers as well as trees and other things related to plants for names. The latest one Black and White used clouds and other sky anomalies for names.

So my guess is that X and Y will probably use metals and gemstones as inspiration for the names of the new cities and towns.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Gen III-IV really didn't use theme naming for the towns. They just kind of squashed two random naturey names together (Lillycove, Petalburg).

Considering the region, though, I wish they'd use the names of famous artists. Van Goughburg. Monetville. Gauguin City. Matisse Island. Mabuse Town. Etc.

^Cool idea, but I doubt it will happen. Though in that vein, perhaps architecture terms?

France is also known for its Wines or Cheeses, so possibly something like Sauvignon Town or Cabernet City.

French breads. Baguette Town, etc. That would be amusing.

Or maybe a general French food theme? The famous artist theme would work too.

Famous scientist/researcher?

Curie Town
Franklin City
Galileo Village

and so on...

I wouldn't mind seeing names after the Bourbon family. (Like Louisville haha). Something related to French Royalty

(Unrelated, but i want the villainous team to be Team Mendel, to go along with the genetics theme)

^^^ All of you guys really have good ideas I can't help but to like them all. I would of never thought of some of them tbqh.

I kind of would like to see them leave out the "city" and "town" in every city/towns actual name. It worked in Kanto, Johto and maybe Hoenn (never played through RSE completely to I don't really have an opinion here), but from Sinnoh and on I think it kind of lost its purpose and I also think it's a little repetitive seeing everything ending with either "City" or "Town".

I really like all of the ideas here, especially naming after famous artists. I can't see them naming cities after actual people, but considering they went crazy with the cloud-themed names (of all things) I think we're up for anything.

I kind of would like to see them leave out the "city" and "town" in every city/towns actual name. It worked in Kanto, Johto and maybe Hoenn (never played through RSE completely to I don't really have an opinion here), but from Sinnoh and on I think it kind of lost its purpose and I also think it's a little repetitive seeing everything ending with either "City" or "Town".

I agree. In Kanto and Johto, the cities' names were words, so they stuck city/town to the end of it and it was cute. But starting Generation III and onward, the names weren't even legitimate words anymore. Hoenn city names even had some "city" suffixes in the name (RustBORO, MauVILLE, SootOPOLIS) and Unova cities had some crazy word variations on cloud types. So I hope they drop the city/town part because they seem kind of unnecessary this time around.

Hmm. Isshu/Unova's cities are named after seals and patterns/cloud formations. Unless I missed out on something that connects the dots on them, I think that was pretty random.

So, with that random reasoning in mind, I'd say XY's cities and towns would be named after vegetables. Cabbageton City, Celeridge Town, Radishore Island... Yeah, that could work.

I kind of would like to see them leave out the "city" and "town" in every city/towns actual name. It worked in Kanto, Johto and maybe Hoenn (never played throug
h RSE completely to I don't really have an opinion here), but from Sinnoh and on I think it kind of lost its purpose and I also think it's a little repetitive seeing everything ending with either "City" or "Town".
I know, right? We don't say "Pickering City" or "Winnipeg Town" or New York City" (Okay, maybe that last one).
I think they might just use some sort of subtle theme that references in a way that you have to think about to realize.
That made no sense.

I don't mind the cheese or wine theme, whoever mentioned it. Perhaps both, and give us wines that go with certain cheeses. Like...
Bordebrie City- Bordeaux and Brie
Chabicherre City- Chabidou and Sancerre
Sauviton City- Sauvignon and Chitton

I can do this all day, but yeah, it would also allow some French sounding names to pop up.

Why not name the cities after capitols in European countries, but corruptions or portmanteaus with other words? For example:
Madridge (Madrid)
Colognedon (London)
Berlink (Berlin)

I think they'll definitely go with something that's really culturally unique/prominent. There could be Ferrini Town, which would be a portmanteau of italian sports cars (ferrari+lamborghini). There could be a city named like Queenstown, for England. Scotland could be something like Braveria, after Braveheart.

I'd say XY's cities and towns would be named after vegetables. Cabbageton City, Celeridge Town, Radishore Island... Yeah, that could work.

I like the idea of towns and cities named after food :3

Maybe it'll be a numbers naming pattern? Something mathematical/sciency to gel with the (suspected) DNA theme. Une Town, Huite Town, Seis City etc...

I think they'll definitely go with something that's really culturally unique/prominent. There could be Ferrini Town, which would be a portmanteau of italian sports cars (ferrari+lamborghini). There could be a city named like Queenstown, for England. Scotland could be something like Braveria, after Braveheart.

If they would name it Queenstown Town I will scream.

I am supporting the idea of naming cities/towns etc after vegetables, it sounds like a fun idea. I hope they'll have a bunch of markets in them and providing the ability to buy all kinds of exotic and common vegetables. Berries is getting a tad bit boring, bring in the big guys.

I don't think the car idea would work, since, y'know, those names are licensed and everything, and it'd cost a fair bit of money to use them. And I'd only see the car companies agreeing to that if the cars actually appeared in the game instead of simply being namesakes for towns...

Then again, I believe the Persona Series actually bases all the High Schools in the various games off Japanese car companies, mimicking their logo and going for a literal translation of their name...I think? Like the one in Persona 2 is Seven Sisters, and uses the same constellation as Subaru (the japanese name of the "Seven Sisters" star cluster), and then in 4 you've got the "unintentional" logo of the Yasogami High School which looks just like the Mercedes Benz logo.

I'd personally like musical related names, would fit the European theme imo.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom