• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what new battle mechanics do you want to see in future ganerations?

Morningstar

Memeber
Reaction score
As some of you are aware, Pokemon had made and added changes to it's battle system with each passing generation. Features mechanically related to combat are usually kept (non-mechanic features like the Battle Frontier are not as constant). Gen II had 2 new types, Gen 3 added natures, abilities, and weather, Gen IV split moves into special and physical categories, Gen V brought us Hidden Abilities, and Gen VI gave us Mega-Evolution and a.

With all this in mind it seems clear that they will add at least one thing to the battle system, so what mechanics do you think they will add in future generations?

Evolution during battle. It's pretty annoying to wait until after the battle is over for your Pokemon to evolve. Not sure why Game Freak still hasn't gotten around to doing that.

I'd like to see them rethink movesets. I think the 4 move system is good but the problem is that different moves are more useful in different situations, you have some that might be useful for battle, some which are useful as field moves, some which are useful for different forms or Mega Evolutions, and some which would be useful for Contests. That's too much to accommodate for, and there's some awkward design decisions and tough choices that need to be made because of that limit, such as HM slaves and giving Megas that change type -ate abilities instead of something more useful. So I think instead of simply adding a 5th moveslot they should look into having multiple movesets for these situations. Your Pokemon will have a standard, 4 slot battle moveset, another 4 slot Mega moveset if they have a Mega Evolution, and a 4 slot field moveset. You can equip whatever moves you want to each of those slots, but you're still limited to 4 moves for battle. You can even put the same move on more than one moveset. Let's say you have a Water type that you taught Surf and you want to use it as both a battle move and a field move. This would add a lot more flexibility to the gameplay and the battling.

Oh, and I'd like to see more types because there's a few lingering balance issues that only a new type can provide. One example is how Dark and Ghost share the same type advantages which make the types feel interchangeable (and with Ghost's defensive superiority it makes Dark a little underutilized). They could also give Electric another weakness, nerf Ground, and give Ice some actual resistances.

Not as much of a new battle mechanic as the other suggestions, but I'd like to see them try to put some sort of balance to Physical and Special Attackers.

Having done next to nothing but challenge the Battle Maison for the past few days, it's because highly apparent to me that this game seems to put so much more emphasis on Physical attackers than Special Attackers. It isn't like I haven't been known this, but it's just really come to my attention now that there's so many things that can hinder or even benefit Physical Attackers, but have no variant for Special Attackers.

For example: Intimidate (lowers opponent's Attack by 1 stage), Moxie (raises Attack by 1 stage when KOing the target), Burn Status Condition (Halves Attack), Guts (Boost Attack by 50% when statused), Toxic Boost (Boosts Physical Moves' power by 50% when Poisioned), Hustle (boosts Attack but lowers Accuracy), Huge and Pure Power (Doubles Attack); the list goes on.

As of now, it seems like Defiant is the only thing to have been recently balanced in Gen VI with Competitive.

Make a Special variant of Intimidate. Create or change an existing Status Condition that halves Special Attack. That way it isn't only Physical Attackers that have the potential to be so easily crippled at any given moment. Give Pyroar a Hidden ability that makes sense and boosts it's Special Attack by one stage every time it KOs and enemy. And PLEASE create some sort of Special version of Pure Power or Huge Power.

That's the main thing I want right now~

I think every other battle type apart from single should get extra mechanics to accommodate the extra amount of combatants.

Doubles and Triples should have the option of letting one of your pokemon be able guard another like the cover command in many RPG games. The anime does this on a regular basis so it would be nice if we could do it in the games.

In Triples a more fleshed out distance mechanic should be made. Instead of just restricting who can target who they should allow you to move individual pokemon closer or further away from the enemy party which would increase/decrease damage dealt/taken. Also more projectiles should be allowed to target anyone besides pulse moves.

In Doubles, Triples and Hordes there should be an option to allow a normally single targeting move hit all targets at the cost of decreased damage and extra PP consumption. The anime has things like Pikachu's thunderbolt hitting 30+ targets even though in the games it only hits one target.

All flying types, levitate users and other pokemon who have flying animations (like Volcarona) can be in sky battles.

Okay I think there is enough posts for me to post what I want to see mechanicly.

In the TCG around Gen II there was a Gimmick involving retyped "Delta Species" pokémon (and before anyone asks, yes there was a Delta Raquayza card then). I want to see something like that in the games a la hidden abilities (in that the specimens would be a rare variant/mutation found via some esoteric method as well as breeding) while being capable of shifting the meta (as several pokémon could become more viable, especially if their typical type came with Stealth Rock weakness, or if the best move for them is one without STAB)

Okay I think there is enough posts for me to post what I want to see mechanicly.

In the TCG around Gen II there was a Gimmick involving retyped "Delta Species" pokémon (and before anyone asks, yes there was a Delta Raquayza card then). I want to see something like that in the games a la hidden abilities (in that the specimens would be a rare variant/mutation found via some esoteric method as well as breeding) while being capable of shifting the meta (as several pokémon could become more viable, especially if their typical type came with Stealth Rock weakness, or if the best move for them is one without STAB)

I remember those. I was planning to use them for a fanfic of mine I never started on. There is a problem of revamping movepools to suit some of the pokemon and breeding the perfect specimen. But other than that it would be cool to have things like a Fire/Steel Salamence, Electric type Charizard or a fire type Gyarados

I remember those. I was planning to use them for a fanfic of mine I never started on. There is a problem of revamping movepools to suit some of the pokemon and breeding the perfect specimen. But other than that it would be cool to have things like a Fire/Steel Salamence, Electric type Charizard or a fire type Gyarados

Yeah, if they were to make Delta Species a thing in the games, they'd need to have completely unique movesets and as a result, it would probably be limited to a small number of Pokemon. So I doubt it's going to happen.

Yeah, if they were to make Delta Species a thing in the games, they'd need to have completely unique movesets and as a result, it would probably be limited to a small number of Pokemon. So I doubt it's going to happen.

On the one hand: Yes the retyping does require the movesets to be tweaked at the very least (especially if we using the TCG as the basis for its implementation, Latias in the Delta Species sets wound up with Fire after the decision not to stick Metal onto all the delta species cards, but Latias cannot lean Fire-Type moves).

On the other hand: Between TMs and Move Tutors the pokemon can learn a variety of typed moves anyway. And it's not like GF wouden't consider doing something like this once they have enough memory and know the code. The concept of manipulating types is even implemented with the moves Soak, Trick-or-treat and Forest's Curse (and in Arceus and Genesect's case, items). its also possible that they already have enough space to effectively double the learnsets (not counting the new mons each gen introduces), leaving time as the obstacle (though signature moves would be an issue but they might also pull more dual-typed moves as well)

As for the breeding aspect; They are also likely to streamline it or introduce a hold item or something that would make the delta typing a dominant gene (which would still not make it 100%, but it would make it likely) or streamline the IV breeding a little (maybe some rare items that passes down multiple specific IVs)

On the other hand: Between TMs and Move Tutors the pokemon can learn a variety of typed moves anyway. And it's not like GF wouden't consider doing something like this once they have enough memory and know the code. The concept of manipulating types is even implemented with the moves Soak, Trick-or-treat and Forest's Curse (and in Arceus and Genesect's case, items). its also possible that they already have enough space to effectively double the learnsets (not counting the new mons each gen introduces), leaving time as the obstacle (though signature moves would be an issue but they might also pull more dual-typed moves as well)

Except TMs aren't perfectly varied and you have to pay for Move Tutors. And there's no guarantee that they would get the moves that they need (for example, Flareon didn't benefit from ANY of the TMs or Move Tutors because it couldn't learn a single physical Fire type move above 65 BP).

And yes, time is the biggest concern. They probably wouldn't be able to make a lot of them in a reasonable time frame.

EDIT: Another thing I just thought about. What would be the point in having a Delta Species over a completely new Pokemon? I don't think there'd be much benefit to giving existing Pokemon a different type other than pure novelty, and that effort could be better spent making new species of Pokemon to fill the same role.

Last edited:
Bring back Habitats and add Habitat bonuses for battles. The environment already affects certain moves, I'd like to see it influence stat boosts (e.g., equivalent to natures) and maybe even effectiveness of moves. Obviously official wifi should have the standard battle style, but there's no reason a forest dwelling Pokemon shouldn't have an advantage against those who live in the city.

This could add another dimension to gym battles as gyms could give Habitat bonuses for their Pokemon, and I could see this being adapted into a type of Battle Facility. In Emerald, the Battle Pyramid was designed to test you as an adventurer, so I could see a spiritual successor to the Battle Pyramid that uses habitat bonuses--essentially forcing you as a trainer to plan your team to maximize advantages and minimize disadvantages.

EDIT: Another thing I just thought about. What would be the point in having a Delta Species over a completely new Pokemon? I don't think there'd be much benefit to giving existing Pokemon a different type other than pure novelty, and that effort could be better spent making new species of Pokemon to fill the same role.

You could argue the same for Mega Evolutions. From a practical standpoint, Was there a point to add Megas when making new Pokémon with similar stats would have filled the job well? Or what about Hidden Abilities (especialy since most pokemon have 2 anyway?

The point of Delta Species is to help certain Pokémon become a little more viable as well as add something more for competitive players to consider. If they did just make new pokemon, then they would eventually be predictable regarding weakness.

For example I'll use Ferrothorn. A Grass/Steel type with great defenses but a massive weakness to Fire. If a Delta Species Ferrothorn would be say Water or Water/Ground, then it can counter the Fire weakness the normal variety has, and then punish the opponent for not considering that outcome. Or Scrafty going from Dark/Fighting to Fairy (NOTE: I'm certain that both cases would not happen as much because GF would likely consider how realistic the pokemon would be with different typing. These or just examples of the possibilities)

By adding specimens of pokemon that are differently type then a usual pokemon of the same species, then it will add a layer of unpredictability to the game

You could argue the same for Mega Evolutions. From a practical standpoint, Was there a point to add Megas when making new Pokémon with similar stats would have filled the job well? Or what about Hidden Abilities (especialy since most pokemon have 2 anyway?

True, there is quite a bit of overlap, but there's still some Pokemon that got Megas that wouldn't otherwise get a power boost such as starters or third form evolutions.

The point of Delta Species is to help certain Pokémon become a little more viable as well as add something more for competitive players to consider. If they did just make new pokemon, then they would eventually be predictable regarding weakness.

For example I'll use Ferrothorn. A Grass/Steel type with great defenses but a massive weakness to Fire. If a Delta Species Ferrothorn would be say Water or Water/Ground, then it can counter the Fire weakness the normal variety has, and then punish the opponent for not considering that outcome. Or Scrafty going from Dark/Fighting to Fairy (NOTE: I'm certain that both cases would not happen as much because GF would likely consider how realistic the pokemon would be with different typing. These or just examples of the possibilities)

By adding specimens of pokemon that are differently type then a usual pokemon of the same species, then it will add a layer of unpredictability to the game

Sounds haxy. If you had to blindly guess the opponent's type it wouldn't be a fair challenge, it would take some of the skill out of the game.

I'd really like to see 2 on 1 battles, which we technically already have, but I'd like it as an actual battle format. Maybe a gym leader could battle two of your pokemon against his lone, over levelled pokemon. And obviously, the inverse of that. Trainers should have the option to enter double battles with only pokemon.

And I'd like to see more statuses:

Asphyxiation - maybe a fighting type one? A cross between confusion and paralysis, can self cure but can't attack until it wears off (up to 4 turns.)
Drowning - water, cross between Burn and Poison - Cuts a stat (Sp.A?) and causes minor damage per turn.

Asphyxiation - maybe a fighting type one? A cross between confusion and paralysis, can self cure but can't attack until it wears off (up to 4 turns.)
Drowning - water, cross between Burn and Poison - Cuts a stat (Sp.A?) and causes minor damage per turn.

Asphyxiation would be a bit too mature I think. Kids wouldn't understand what it is and it's somewhat of a mature concept.

Abilities should have other effects besides stats changes. Ex: a pokemon with timid nature could flich easily, a jolly have their dancing moves boosted, like dragon dance doubling atk and speed insteade of giving only + 1, Brave natureds dont flintch, calms wont fall to taunt , and calm mind and meditate from these pokemon would increase more their stats.

Asphyxiation would be a bit too mature I think. Kids wouldn't understand what it is and it's somewhat of a mature concept.

Couldn't think of a better word. Was thinking of Gasp, as in gasping for air, but I dunno about that either.

Couldn't think of a better word. Was thinking of Gasp, as in gasping for air, but I dunno about that either.

Call it Choking, that would be the simplest word to describe it.

How about trainer skills? You know how in certain media, trainers can have their Pokémon do different things with the Pokémon's movesets, and how you had to catch Pokémon in the Safari Zone by yourself? I'd like to see things like that implemented in a new mechanic. Things like bait, throwing rocks, throwing Poké Balls, telling Pokémon to do crazy things, Mega Evolution, and even applying in-battle healing/items should be implemented into a new mechanic that's separate from your Pokémon's turn. How 'bout them apples?

Sounds haxy. If you had to blindly guess the opponent's type it wouldn't be a fair challenge, it would take some of the skill out of the game.

You make a point, But this was the only thing I could think of that could add to the metagame, be uncommon in typical pokemon but could be bred like Hidden Abilities or Egg Moves.

Then again that is also the reason I made this thread, to see if the players have any ideas to add to depth to the battle system

How about trainer skills? You know how in certain media, trainers can have their Pokémon do different things with the Pokémon's movesets, and how you had to catch Pokémon in the Safari Zone by yourself? I'd like to see things like that implemented in a new mechanic. Things like bait, throwing rocks, throwing Poké Balls, telling Pokémon to do crazy things, Mega Evolution, and even applying in-battle healing/items should be implemented into a new mechanic that's separate from your Pokémon's turn. How 'bout them apples?

I'm confused. Do you mean to have all player actions take up the turn (like with items) or have them do an action in the same turn as the pokemon's attack (like with mega-evolving)?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom