• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was the worst new Pokemon for you performance wise?

Okay, I'll admit this. The last few levels in the Choroneko stage are a pain in the arse.

Teaching Thief to it helps though, as if you are lucky you'll steal a healing berry, use it, and then get a speed boost with Unburden.

At Lepardas, it is much stronger than most things you can get at that stage. I got mine in Hiun and had no problems with it from then on.

As soon as you get Fake Out, use it. Hone Claws is good as it makes Fury Swipes 100% accurate. Slash and Night Slash allow you critical hits.

With all of that, I never had a problem.
Fake Out helps alot, yeah. (Or so I would imagine.) It's next good move is Night Slash, which comes at levels 37/43--and there are big statistical trade-offs for waiting to evolve Purloin.

In breeding it though, you can make it a potent pokemon. Foul Play is great for an under-leveled Purrloin/Liepard (wherever the daycare center may be, I don't really know), and Encore and Yawn can allow for decent set-up. Covet is also better in some ways than Thief, having the same power as Thief without STAB, while also having more PP.

I had my team planned out, so from what I used, honestly, Excadrill was a major disappointment. It was extremely fragile, and its attacks sucked.

The best would be Sawk. Sturdy helped me out so many times I lost count.

I feel Excadrill is a tad overrated as well. Drilbur died a lot when I used him. Excadrill didn't become good until he learned EQ.

I actually found Zebstrika/Blitzle a useful scout.
Though I really don't know what everybody sees in lillipup ^^;.

Though I really don't know what everybody sees in lillipup ^^;.

Early game it's awfully effective against the first and second gyms. Late game it learns Crunch + all the elemental fangs.

Any of the Pokemon from the Monkey Trio. They become freaking useless after the 2nd gym.

I beg to freakin' differ. It's true that when I was passing through Pinwheel Forest, my Pansage started to become more of a hindrance than anything else, but that all changed in Castelia City. Two things happened there.

1: Pansage learned Seed Bomb.
2: Pansage evolved into Simisage.

And from there on, the pwnage commenced. Simisage is the best thing to happen to the Grass-type, ever. OHKO'd Elesa's Zebstrika with Seed Bomb. Even did good damage to some of Burgh's Pokemon. Took out Dwebble. Saved my ass against Clay. I didn't even regret holding off evolution until it would learn Crunch. Bite worked just fine until I got the Shadow Claw TM.

None of the six Pokemon I use in Black were bad in any way. Granted, Woobat was a tad frail when I first caught it, and it still is a bit frail, but it hits decently hard, even moreso after it evolved. Emboar was win from start to finish. Klink took some training, since my Pokemon outleveled it at first, but once that was done, it became one of my best Pokemon. As a Klang, it single-handedly (single-gearedly?) took out Skyla. Charge Beam FTW. Zorua basically thrived on the Exp. Share until it evolved, though. At first I thought it was hopeless, then it evolved into Zoroark. And then there was Basculin. Took a while to get it caught up to the rest of my team, but once it did, DAMN! Adaptability Aqua Tail plowed through nearly everything, including Shauntal's Golurk and Chandelure.

Honestly, I'm surprised anyone had trouble with this game. My entire team already outleveled the Elite 4's Pokemon when I won the Legend Badge. I got the game on Sunday and beat it on Tuesday.

With a mustache.

Pansage definitely seems like the best of the monkeys, followed by Panpour. Pansear just sucks.

Yeah, when the monkeys learn an actual useful move, they're kind of annoying.
The best would be Sawk. Sturdy helped me out so many times I lost count.
Especially when Full Restore apparently lets Sturdy work again.

Better than Focus Sash, annoying with Marshal

PIDOVE/TRANQUIL/UNFEZANT doesnt have an attack move to USE WITH ITS Above average attack. I think fly might be its best attack... seriously, its stats are wasted in an awful movepool. Maybe the worst I have ever seen.

I hated Lillipup at first. But I caught one and the thing is a BEAST. It learns Bite/Take Down/Crunch pretty early, then Retaliate which gives it 210 base power with stab calculated as a revenge killer. Its been the anchor of my team since the start.

Purrloin... Its all been said. Other pokes I liked I knew would suck... poor Swoobat.

And I love Sandile. My favorite gen 5 poke. I caught it without bite and it died alot. It dies less as Krokorok, and I know its destined for greatness as Krookodile. Even though its frail, I did get quite a few in-game moxie sweeps. Frailty as sandile is no biggie, its distined for EQ/Crunch stab. Enough said.

Last edited:
I actually think Swoobat is pretty decent.

Because of all the Fighting-types near Lenora's Gym, it's super easy to level up.

It's not super awesome or even good, but I think it's OK for what it is - basically flying Ambipom and makes an OK supporty Pokemon with it's ability to learn U-Turn and pretty much every other TM in the game. Allows it to lay down some support effects or disables than U-Turn out.

Hidden Ability Swoobat (Simple + Substitute + Calm Mind + 2 Special Moves) might even be really annoying.

Last edited:
My biggest disappointment is Blitzle at the moment. I wanted this thing on my team before the game came out and had high hopes for it. Its defense is terrible, attack is so-so. Just terrible all around. I'm only keeping it on my team for the sake of Thunder Wave..Once I find a better Pokemon, Blitzle's getting benched.

I freaking love Lillipup though! Mine is actually a Herdier now. It's saved my ass many times in some intense gym battles. I'm thinking about adding a Litwick on my team but I'm only at the 4th gym. :/

p.s: Should I keep Blitzle and evolve it into a Zebstrika? Does Zebstrika's attack and defense doubles once it evolves from Blitzle? :/

p.s: Should I keep Blitzle and evolve it into a Zebstrika? Does Zebstrika's attack and defense doubles once it evolves from Blitzle? :/

Zebstrika has some real speed and attack to be a factor. But its move pool is shallow. Spark is an ok attack... but thats all it gets until you level up pretty high. So in-game Zebstrika takes some work. All the electric pokemon do tho(haven't tried Galvantula yet tho).

I'm running Herdier, Scraggy, Krokorok and Darumaka. All effective. Gonna add an axew and rufflet eventually.

It falls 1 point short of doubling for both special defense and defense.

However I believe most consider it the worst of all Unova Electric types. The best part of it is that it can learn Fire Charge, but before that it's fairly useless and hard to raise, and even after that it's not quite as good as the other Unova Electrics. As far as I can tell, it's there to KO one Pokemon who is weak to Fire or Electric then either die or Volt Switch out. If you have your heart set on using Zebstrika, use Eviolite to make up for it's pre-evolutions poor defenses. Galvantula is even frailer, but has much better moves. That lamprey is bordering on uber, and Emolga is a really effective scout suppposedly.

Last edited:
I wanted so badly to use Blitzle, and then I caught it after the first gym. It was boxed after the third. I still like her design wise,but she didn't have that great battle potential.

However, I find that Unfezant was very well worth the training. I'm not sure why everyone hates on it...

I also found Litwick pretty tough to raise, but when it evolved, it was truely amazing.

So far, I'm finding Snivy, currently a Servine, to be quite underwhelming. There's two factors in that I got an Adamant one (One of the worst Abilities for her Movepool), and I also got a Petilil, who has proven to be more useful overall (I'm usually not one to have two Pokémon of the same Type in a Team). She's nowhere near as bad as Treecko, that's for sure, but still quite disappointing. I might end up boxing her if Petilil keeps on proving her worth better. Notably, Petilil has done nicely despite also having a marginally bad Nature for her (Brave).

Of course, she's also the fastest Poké I have, so I have some feeling that I better keep her around. Once I find a Normal move she can learn that's stronger than Tackle, I think she will be a bit better.

So far, I'm finding Snivy, currently a Servine, to be quite underwhelming. There's two factors in that I got an Adamant one (One of the worst Abilities for her Movepool), and I also got a Petilil, who has proven to be more useful overall (I'm usually not one to have two Pokémon of the same Type in a Team). She's nowhere near as bad as Treecko, that's for sure, but still quite disappointing. I might end up boxing her if Petilil keeps on proving her worth better. Notably, Petilil has done nicely despite also having a marginally bad Nature for her (Brave).

Of course, she's also the fastest Poké I have, so I have some feeling that I better keep her around. Once I find a Normal move she can learn that's stronger than Tackle, I think she will be a bit better.

I don't mean to seem nosey or the tiniest bit off topic, but seriously? Having trained both, I must say I'd give up if I were you, at least in competitive purposes. Petilil (and Lilligant, in particular) are probably the best Grass pokes I've ever dared to use, and I don't really like using a Grass type much at all. She's far more useful, and I personally gave up on a Snivy for a Tepig again in Black because after my experiences in White with both I knew how I wanted to go, despite my total love for Serperior's design. All I've heard of Snivy and its line has been how useless it is, whereas Lilligant has been hailed by some as the new Grass titan, for the metagame at the least.

...J/S.

Last edited:
i agree with some of the things i have heard.
for one, the monkeys don't have much purpose at least from what i can see, i think they require patience to train. My friend is using the fire type and once it evolved and had a good move set it seems nice.
second, Sandile is hard to train and takes patience to train, but once it becomes krookadile, it is my favorite dark type from unova.
Blitzle is great, although i didnt use one on my team my friend I mentioned did, and i really like that it learns flame charge at level 18.
as far as pokemon i feel arent very useful, i used sawk for a while but all it learned was fighting type moves and of course there are pokemon that i didnt expect much from like minccino or emolga, but i thought Sawk would be better.

I don't mean to seem nosey or the tiniest bit off topic, but seriously? Having trained both, I must say I'd give up if I were you, at least in competitive purposes. Petilil (and Lilligant, in particular) are probably the best Grass pokes I've ever dared to use, and I don't really like using a Grass type much at all. She's far more useful, and I personally gave up on a Snivy for a Tepig again in Black because after my experiences in White with both I knew how I wanted to go, despite my total love for Serpirior's design. All I've heard of Snivy and its line has been how useless it is, whereas Lilligant has been hailed by some as the new Grass titan, for the metagame at the least.

It's so very annoying, because only one or 2 non-grass damaging moves would have made Serperior worth using.

I wish Serperior could have learned overheat and close combat.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom