• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the worst tech product you've ever used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my gamecube totally sucked, my cuzins gave it 2 me. And the disc scan was just about busted. Then i got a wii, and my parents sold the gamecube to a dude who needed parts. Good thing wiis can play GC games. Goodbye GC, rest in pieces.

That sounds like Prime's PS2. Gah, how I hate that thing. >.<
It has to be one of the most unreliable platforms I've ever used. If I dug up my old Atari 2600 I'll bet it could work better. And I'm not kidding. So much freezing at the worst possible gaming moments. And it hated playing DVDs or CDs. I've had CDs that worked fine in a normal CD player or in my PC, but they would skip like crazy while in that Playstation. Same with some of my DVDs. And people wonder why I haven't bought a PS3.

However, my GameCube runs great. I can remember playing XD for nearly 8 hours straight one day and never having a problem.

And AOL sucks. I'm so glad we finally dumped it.

That sounds like Prime's PS2. Gah, how I hate that thing. >.<
It has to be one of the most unreliable platforms I've ever used. If I dug up my old Atari 2600 I'll bet it could work better. And I'm not kidding. So much freezing at the worst possible gaming moments. And it hated playing DVDs or CDs. I've had CDs that worked fine in a normal CD player or in my PC, but they would skip like crazy while in that Playstation. Same with some of my DVDs. And people wonder why I haven't bought a PS3.

However, my GameCube runs great. I can remember playing XD for nearly 8 hours straight one day and never having a problem.

And AOL sucks. I'm so glad we finally dumped it.
I know. And Atari sucks... BAD!! But I love PS2s, and my cuzin Mathew has a PS3*echo*!!

I had one type of Amstrad computer once from the 1980's, had a 15 or 17inch CRT screen, two Disk drives, and you had to put in a boot disk before turning it on, and I a short while after I had it, I put boot disk in, screen turns green and it dies when I turn it on. I used to mainly use it for writing a story then using a spell check thing to fix it (used to rewrite most of the story into nonsince that way and I was immiture then and found it really funny)

Electronics and I never get along. I don't know why but they seem to die on me for no explaination. Computers wouldn't run because of viruses, or other junk like no mem space after putting on several different games. My wii sometimes has problems reading Wii games and then goes slow on cut scenes. My PS2 almost died, big fatty that it is. My DS is getting too old and is now having button and battery issues. My printer died because it was moved too many times in college. My Cellphone sometimes won't go to screens because it needs to load up or something when it's low batteries. I could go on and on. Apparently I break things alot...

Our old Lexmark printer. It jammed often, it wouldn't scan or copy anything clearly, and it'd just turn on and off whenever it felt like it.

Long story short, it was a piece of sh*t.

Our old Lexmark printer. It jammed often, it wouldn't scan or copy anything clearly, and it'd just turn on and off whenever it felt like it.

Long story short, it was a piece of sh*t.
I had a few lexmarks and one jammed paper all the time, one had some ink where you can only buy it at a place that may close (circuit city) or on the web and one leaked ink.

Ugh, same here. The only thing ours could do half-properly was print just plain text things. And even then, the text'd fade out by the end of the paper. >_>

(But, now we have a nifty laser ink - I think - printer. Greyscale only, but does the job fast and good.)

Laser printers don't use ink but rather a special toner which sticks to the paper through static electricity and also through heating the paper so that the toner sticks to it permanently. What the laser does in the process is to expose a special photosensitive drum which is erased when exposed and the original positive charge on the drum where the letters or pictures should be on the paper is reapplied through a special wire known as a corona wire which applies a positive charge in exactly the same place on the drum. And you are not alone, quite a few people have had trouble with Lexmark printers but I seem to have really good luck with Cannon and Epson printers

Laser printers don't use ink but rather a special toner which sticks to the paper through static electricity and also through heating the paper so that the toner sticks to it permanently. What the laser does in the process is to expose a special photosensitive drum which is erased when exposed and the original positive charge on the drum where the letters or pictures should be on the paper is reapplied through a special wire known as a corona wire which applies a positive charge in exactly the same place on the drum. And you are not alone, quite a few people have had trouble with Lexmark printers but I seem to have really good luck with Cannon and Epson printers

I had some big problems with Lexmark printers myself. I couldn't get anything done, though HP seems to do good. The Deskjet f4100 series performs quite well on my end.

Last edited:
HP also seems to make great laptops, I am using an HP Compaq NX7300 machine here which is quite easily the most reliable laptop I have ever had.

i have a compaq (hp) laptop and a hp laserjet and they never break. And one of the worst tech products is my internet connection. It is supposed to be fast but it is really slower than dial up.

i have a compaq (hp) laptop and a hp laserjet and they never break. And one of the worst tech products is my internet connection. It is supposed to be fast but it is really slower than dial up.

I wonder what that was.

Speaking of Internet, I have a local cable internet with a wireless router network, and it seems pretty good. I networked my f4100 series and it can receive prints quite well.

My school has been having kind of a shortage of computers this year. All of the computers in the library (except maybe the librarian's computer) take a ridiculous ammount time to log into the school network.

And all of those Tangent machines that the school still has are nothing more than ugly pieces of sh*t. Their processors are just too weak to handle Windows XP, IMO.

Creative Zen mp3 player- It was my first mp3 player that I got for christmas a few years back. Worked fine for about 3 months before it froze and wouldn't restart. I went through about 2-3 more mp3 players before I finally decided to get an 4 GB iPod Nano. I've had the iPod for 10 months now and it's only messed up maybe 3 times. Thank god it can restart itself!

Lexmark printers- god that thing sucks ass

Funny that Packard Bell and Compaqs were mentioned here because those were the last two models of computers I'd gotten before I started getting Dells. Only I had the Packard Bell from like the early 90s until 2000 (and it sucked; the speakers hardly even worked right) and the Compaq from 2000 to 2003 and it was a slow-ass piece of crap, too.

But what really, really sucked? Was the first Dell I ended up getting. It was one of those mini-tower computers - y'know, supposedly space-efficient. Not unlike the slim PS2. Except it had the same problem as the PS2 - the tendency to overheat quickly. I could only run so many programs on it at a time before the system's fan started going on overdrive. And one night- poof! Screen went black and the system shut down and I smelled smoke coming from the back of the tower. So I was forced to go through the very annoying process that was calling Dell and waiting 2 hours to talk to someone I could barely understand so they could assess the situation so I could spend $120 or so for a replacement fan. And this ended up being a yearly process. Though the last time the fan blew out, it also took my entire motherboard with it, including my very expensive video card. That... really, really sucked. But this definitely taught me to never get a slim tower computer ever again.

I'm also in agreement that dial-up connections aren't really valid complaints (unless you're still using one, that is) since that was really our only method of having the internet at all for many years. I can't hate on AOL too much either since it was responsible for me meeting so many of the friends I still have on AIM today... plus it was just so stupid that it's awesome to make fun of now. Waaaay back in the day, it had some archives of some pretty awesome .wav files spliced together; several of them being characters killing Barney the Dinosaur. Or the Spice Girls.

I gotta say, though, I don't have much love for Sony products these days. My brand new PS2 (it was a fat PS2, so this was quite a few years ago) completely died out on me an wouldn't read discs right after the three-month warranty passed. Thankfully, they still took it in and fixed it (though it still gets weird on me now and then), but after working at GameStop for a year and hearing stories of people regularly having to go through two or three PS2s because of their tendency to break down and Sony not giving a crap if they do, I totally lost faith in the quality of their products... and that's one reason why I don't have a PSP now. It looks fragile and I'm a klutz. I drop my DS on a regular basis, but thankfully it can take a beating. And the PS3... yeeeeeah.

Windows Vista. three months of using vista convinced me to that Vista, when shipped (and after Vista SP1), wasn't ready for prime time.

Adobe pdf reader. Blech. It takes about a minute to load up pdfs files you view on your browser, after you're done viewing its stupid process sticks around for no damn reason(one of my computer program pet peeves), and, like everything in Microsoft Office(which isn't that great of a set of programs either, especially with the freakish design overall Office 2007 got. Way to make sure that nobody knows where anything is, Microsoft!), it's just bloated with crap nobody ever uses. Thank god I found another pdf reader. (Foxit Reader - it's less than 3 MB in size, takes about 5 seconds to load up pdfs, and isn't bogged down with useless shit. And yes, like everything else awesome on the internet, it's free.)

McAfee is pretty lousy too. The only reason I had it on my laptop was that it came free with it(and my mom insisted on getting McAfee along with my laptop for that reason). It just loves bugging me about having features disabled that I don't need or want to use(parental controls? instant messaging scanning? phishing filters? What am I, five?), the virus scans run at a snail's pace, it doesn't know how to shut up about updating(yes, I know that updating virus scanners/firewalls is a good thing, but I doubt my computer will be doomed if I want to wait a fucking hour to update McAfee because I'm in the middle of something, and knowing my luck it'll be one of the updates that makes McAfee go "you have to restart your computer. Restart now?" every five minutes), and it's just so slow if you want to go in the security center and do anything. At least I should be able to easily install a new firewall(and virus scanner I guess) since my old hard drive died and my new one should be a blank slate. :p

Windows Media Player. Who thought that was a good idea? I mean, really. It takes up waaaaay too much screen space even when in one of its minimized modes, and it's not really all that good at any one thing. I'll take Winamp for music playing(compact and does its job without taking over half my computer) and Media Player Classic(plays EVERYTHING and has a nicely minimalistic interface) for video viewing any day. For all I know they've fixed the screen real estate issue in one of the recent updates to WMP, but I can't be assed to try it again to be sure.

Firefox. I tried it once to see what the big deal was. I didn't. It also took ages to start up. Seeing as I don't really need eight billion add-ons, and I have never seen the "problems" with IE that firefox fans like to bleat about, I think I'll stick with IE. And while I'm busy pissing all of you off, I have to say that tabs are really goddamned overrated too. Maybe I just don't get tabs, but...really, what's the point? Did you all have that much difficulty switching windows when you had to move your cursor down to the taskbar instead of up to a tab?

Adobe pdf reader. Blech. It takes about a minute to load up pdfs files you view on your browser, after you're done viewing its stupid process sticks around for no damn reason(one of my computer program pet peeves), and, like everything in Microsoft Office(which isn't that great of a set of programs either, especially with the freakish design overall Office 2007 got. Way to make sure that nobody knows where anything is, Microsoft!), it's just bloated with crap nobody ever uses. Thank god I found another pdf reader. (Foxit Reader - it's less than 3 MB in size, takes about 5 seconds to load up pdfs, and isn't bogged down with useless shit. And yes, like everything else awesome on the internet, it's free.)
I hate adobe reader for the same reasons, it is slow and bloated. And another bad tech product: [wp]Sega 32x[/wp]. It is supposed to give a sega genesis "32 bit graphics," even though it is a waste of money. And it also looks ugly and requires another huge power brick, along with the one that comes with the genesis. The SEGA CD 32X games are even worse, because they need a 32x and a Sega CD to run.

Dell laptops. Poorly built, comes loaded with an onslaught of unnecessary software, staff "support" that cannot speak proper English, and just plain awful. Everyone I know has had poor experiences with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom