• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When did you stop watching the anime?

I stopped after the 4th gym of Unova. I don't know when I will rewatch the missing episodes or when I will start watching regularly at all.

I stopped watching around mid-Johto many years ago as well, but found my way back into the anime with the Larvitar-episodes. I hope BW can have a shift in quality like Johto had as well somewhere down the road.

Last edited:
Re: When the Anime Got Unwatchable

I wouldn't say there was truly a time I hated the anime enough to stop watching it, but I've never been as fond of the Hoenn seasons as I am of the others, especially Best Wishes. Why do you all hate it so much? I love Best Wishes because it's actually new and different unlike the older seasons. Brock is gone (though I loved him, he did need a break), Team Rocket is badass now, we have more unique episode plots because Team Rocket isn't getting "blasted off" in just about every episode anymore, etc. I also think it has the best voice acting (in the dub, anyway. I don't watch Japanese versions of anything. I never liked Japanese voice acting, plus I'd rather be able to hear words I understand than read them on the screen, as in a sub).

I think its because the only really good thing about BW is Cilan. Iris is OK, but as others said she seems to be a watered-down version of Misty. Her critiques of Ash don't make as much sense as when Misty did it, and there's no real dynamic between the two, sadly. The battles in BW are a step back from DP, and Ash's team is very mishandled.

On top of that, the BW rivals are extremely bland. Trip can't compare with Paul (or Gary), and Bianca is just comic relief. Ash has no strong rival whatsoever, which makes you wonder why they even bothered to introduce them.

But I never really liked the Hoenn seasons much. I find May kind of annoying, Harley creeps me the hell out, and I just didn't find the episodes as interesting, except for Do I Hear a Ralts? But other than that, I got rather bored of it.

Fair enough, there were some boring parts of that series but as a whole it was better handled than what we have now, or in Johto for that matter. May's contest dynamic was also quite funny and entertaining, which is why Contests became popular in the anime in the first place. There were much better interactions between the coordinators back then, then compared to whatever Dawn/Zoey/Kenny was supposed to be. Too bad Ursula wasn't introduced earlier.

I quit watching during DP. It wasn't by choice; my schedule just wouldn't allow me the time to sit down and enjoy the show. I'm hoping to eventually catch up on what I've missed, though.

Currently, I've been watching BW and I enjoy it. Cilan's so adorable that he keeps me glued to the screen but Iris... She's just there for no good reason. And she's bland, not to mention annoying. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Johto was unbelievably boring, but no matter how dull it was, my loyal and "finish what you start" mentality wouldn't let me quit watching until I'd seen every episode from that portion of the series. (And maybe the occasional Gym Battle episode) Once I had, I quit watching because I had no faith Hoenn or Sinnoh would be any better, and I didn't want to risk putting myself through such tedium again.

But I decided to give them a go last year and was pleasantly surprised to discover they were a vast improvement, so I've become hooked once again. Even though Best Wishes is doing many things wrong, there's just about enough to keep me watching. Just.

Living in Canada, I was completely unaware I even got Kids' WB until it was already shut down, so I only watched Pokémon on YTV, and I wasn't really watching it constantly. In fact, the only time I actually really remember the episodes I watched, was the three episode premiere of Diamond and Pearl back in 2007. I only got back into the anime at the final episodes of Sinnoh League Victors, but I've watched all of Black & White and plan to continue into Rival Destinies.

Re: When the Anime Got Unwatchable

I think its because the only really good thing about BW is Cilan. Iris is OK, but as others said she seems to be a watered-down version of Misty. Her critiques of Ash don't make as much sense as when Misty did it, and there's no real dynamic between the two, sadly. The battles in BW are a step back from DP, and Ash's team is very mishandled.

On top of that, the BW rivals are extremely bland. Trip can't compare with Paul (or Gary), and Bianca is just comic relief. Ash has no strong rival whatsoever, which makes you wonder why they even bothered to introduce them.

I disagree. There are lots of good things about Best Wishes. The new Team Rocket, Cilan, the Pokemon (Ash's Oshawott ftw), great voice acting, etc. And Iris is way better than Misty. Misty I found annoying at times, but not Iris so far. I love her hair too. Such pretty purple hair. x3

Also, Iris isn't white like most Pokemon characters are. She's unique in that way. I do agree that Trip isn't as cool as Paul, but that doesn't matter to me. There's plenty of good characters. I find Bianca hilarious, and Ingo and Emmet were pretty cool too. And, obviously, Cilan is win.

Extenuating cirucmstances meant that I was a bit on-and-off with the show during AG, but I never really stopped watching. Even nowadays when I'm picking and choosing which episodes I think would be interesting, I still keep up with what's going on. At no point have I ever been disillusioned or disappointed to the point where I would disown myself from anime.

Re: Official Pokémon Black & White Title Announcement Thread #2

Pokémon started to get boring when Team Rocket became boring.

Past 13 seasons:
Team Rocket: We're blasting off again! *twinkle*

Season 14:
Team Rocket: Dang we failed *flies off in jet packs*

Personally i never stopped watching this show,sticking to it surprisingly from day one to now. I liked Kanto and Orange Islands a lot.I even liked Johto which with all its flaws still had valuable and good things going for it.At least original trio had actual chemistry there,battles were better and many episodes were fun maintaining my interest.

When Hoenn came around initially i was shocked and sad that female lead was replaced like most were during that time,but i decided to give it chance and i enjoyed it.Contests were nice new addition to show and May was good character. However Battle Frontier was big let down for me almost losing interest in it. Battles were rather unrealistic, main cast started to feel stale and so called return to Kanto was only authentic in its name.

Sinnoh was saga which increased my interest for series again and i really liked way Ash and Dawn developed as characters. As for Unova, personally i like new saga with most episodes being good. Rivals are great,Cilan is one of Bw highlights, Ash while regressed is still entertaining for me and while Iris is inferior imo compared to May or Misty(being more fun) i still like her character having qualities, and TR change of role was nice change of pace.

I only missed some of banned episodes and few episodes in Sinnoh which im planning to catch up with eventually.

I stopped watching around mid-Johto many years ago as well, but found my way back into the anime with the Larvitar-episodes. I hope BW can have a shift in quality like Johto had as well somewhere down the road.

Agreed, it can be noticed that while Johto started out bad it improved itself in quality significantly with Master Quest being best season out of whole region. That was time where most cool arcs happened(like Whirl Cup, Lugia, Clair and dragon temple), fillers decreased, Misty received some notable focus and development along with groups pokemon teams getting better. Battles also became better with Silver conference being one of best leagues we had. I reckon change of writing style was responsible for this too,with same quality being used with Hoenn getting better over time.

Hmmm..I still kind of watch the anime but nowhere near as much as I used to back in Kanto - Hoenn. Since DPP i just watch it whenever i wake up early enough. :|

Johto was unbelievably boring, but no matter how dull it was, my loyal and "finish what you start" mentality wouldn't let me quit watching until I'd seen every episode from that portion of the series. (And maybe the occasional Gym Battle episode) Once I had, I quit watching because I had no faith Hoenn or Sinnoh would be any better, and I didn't want to risk putting myself through such tedium again.

But I decided to give them a go last year and was pleasantly surprised to discover they were a vast improvement, so I've become hooked once again. Even though Best Wishes is doing many things wrong, there's just about enough to keep me watching. Just.

Agreed on all counts. Except I was viewing online summaries and pics of the new series after Johto so I already knew it was going to be better.

I stopped watching once season 9 began. I can't stand the new voice actors, they can never compare the the original.

Hoenn was pretty boring, actually. May and Max really bugged me, and all of Ash's Hoenn pokemon acted kinda bitchy...

I started watching the anime a year or so ago. then team plasma got kicked, team rocket traveled to boredom, and brock is replaced by cilan the weirdo. i dont watch it anymore, i only watch gym episodes (or any episode that seems interesting)

I still plan to finish watching the movies, the movies are awesome

I stopped once Best Wishes started, I just don't like it. The only character that I seem to like is Pikachu, Oshawott, and Cilan. Man how I miss DP. Personally Diamond and Pearl was the best series! ALSO, I liked the Johto episodes, wat was so bad about it?

Also, I kinda stopped waching the series in the Hoenn region. To me, the beggining was pretty boring.

When Ash will lose to Trip in another full battle or when Ash will lose in the 1st round of Battle tournament ''Donamite''
Then I will stop watching pokemon !

I've seen all of Kanto and then about 30% of Johto. The filler-like feeling didn't attract me especially finding out that the next 3 regions were going to be the same. I tried getting back to the anime by starting with the first episode of Hoenn but I stopped at around 40. It felt dragged-on a bit too long.

Then the Unova region came. I wanted to yet again start over by starting there but I stopped where Team Plasma was supposed to debut. After that, fillers started coming back again and it was just the same as Sinnoh. Since then, I have only been browsing and skimming through how Ash's adventure is currently going.

I stopped watching it when Misty left, which was when the Johto saga was over.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom