• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Where the next regions should be based on?

And Imo, Australia and New Zealand should be placed in one game. I eonder if Australia wouldnt look much similar to Hoenn, but it could represent an urban tropical area. The same correlation between Johto and Kanto. One is rural and the other urban. It's like an urban Hoenn.

Actually, I wish GF didn't use Kyushu for Hoenn, and went overseas as early as Gen 3. (They really could have used coastal Queensland for that. (Gold Coast-Cairns)) At least then the break from Gen 1-2 and the regional isolation would have some story-line justification, and the tropical theme could have been pulled off in a more realistic setting, making the Hoenn's basic geography as it currently stands a fundamental case of an unnecessary artistic licence - which is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to Pokemon games. (Gen 5/Unova is the only exception to this, and that is because of the transitional nature from Japan-based Shinnoh to overseas-Kalos.)

Last edited:
Serbia and Yugoslavia would be in the same game/generation, or perhaps attached to more countries.

Could Serbia be the first game (say if we got Pokemon Solar and Lunar)
Then Yugoslavia could be in the 'revist/sister' game (say pokemon Eclipse)

Just an idea. If we do get Yugoslavia I think it might be a later gen. Perhaps Gen 9 or 10.

Well, I was thinking. It may be that the franchise will based on countries involved in World War II and related conflicts, in allusion to Kalos war. Already there is Japan, US and now France. If they go for that line, the next will be UK, Russia, Germany, Italy, and so Latin America. Brazil and the Latin American allied to the US. As far as I know Greece was occupied by Germany, I dont know about Australia and the other countries cited.

On this:
Yugoslavia was occupied by Germany for most of the war, but it did help start WW1 quite significantly.
Israel was created as a result of WW2 (sort of) plus it has a culture fairly diffrent to the other nations in the game used so far, it might be an intresting option. (There is only the problem on the Israeli/Palestine conflict so it might not be the safest thing to go for).

Last edited:
Iceland. No question about. It's far and away the most beautiful country in the world. Gorgeous scenery and landmarks (I mean, check out Reykjavik Cathedral below). Also, I fancy going someplace cold and it would be good to see some starters that are part ice-type.

I agree on going somewhere cold too. It'd be nice to shake up the early-game formula if we could get some Ice-types earlier in the game rather than later.

I want Italy. After learning way too much about it in Latin class, it should have a region for itself. Also, Rome is pretty much the de facto "big city," and maybe they could do something unique with the Circus Maximus and the Colosseum. The post-story area/town could be based on Venice, with all the canals and such. It'd be a nice place.

If Italy is a region, there could be a Pompeii city. The last gym on Sicily perhaps.

And Imo, Australia and New Zealand should be placed in one game. I eonder if Australia wouldnt look much similar to Hoenn, but it could represent an urban tropical area. The same correlation between Johto and Kanto. One is rural and the other urban. It's like an urban Hoenn.

Actually, I wish GF didn't use Kyushu for Hoenn, and went overseas as early as Gen 3. (They really could have used coastal Queensland for that. (Gold Coast-Cairns)) At least then the break from Gen 1-2 and the regional isolation would have some story-line justification, and the tropical theme could have been pulled off in a more realistic setting, making the Hoenn's basic geography as it currently stands a fundamental case of an unnecessary artistic licence - which is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to Pokemon games. (Gen 5/Unova is the only exception to this, and that is because of the transitional nature from Japan-based Shinnoh to overseas-Kalos.)
Yeah, I think there are better places to represent a tropical region such as Hawaii, Australia, etc ... imo Sinnoh should have been based in Russia, Iceland, since the region doesnt fits exactly a "cold" place. But hope in the future another generation will have a really cold continent.
Perhaps at the time of Hoenn they hadnt planned that Pokemon would be such an extensive franchise and would have so many regions.

If Italy is a region, there could be a Pompeii city. The last gym on Sicily perhaps.
In Pompeii would be plaster casts of Pokemons bodies.
And feature gondola as transportation in Venice, similar to Taxis in Kalos. Or even an optional transport through waters for those who donnt want to use surf.

Yeah, I think there are better places to represent a tropical region such as Hawaii, Australia, etc ... imo Sinnoh should have been based in Russia, Iceland, since the region doesnt fits exactly a "cold" place. But hope in the future another generation will have a really cold continent.
Perhaps at the time of Hoenn they hadnt planned that Pokemon would be such an extensive franchise and would have so many regions.

Actually, Hokkaido is a cold region (above-0 deg Celcuis days are actually unheard of), and it still is a good amount of chore trying to get there from Tokyo with land transport.

Also, even with the lack of planning, they could have used Hawaii as the "Hoenn" region, because you'd be hard-pressed to meet a Japanese person who haven't heard of that place. It has been a popular destination for honeymoons, and extended holiday vacations since the 1970s-80s, and there are lots of Japanese Americans there anyway. I've seen a Crayon-Shinchan episode where the whole family went there for vacation, and this was in the 90s, and most Momotaro-Dentetsu games (a railway Monopoly game featuring the whole Japanese archipelago) feature Hawaii as a bonus destination.

And feature gondola as transportation in Venice, similar to Taxis in Kalos. Or even an optional transport through waters for those who donnt want to use surf.

There was a movie based on Venice. I think it was the 5th movie featuring Latios and Latias. I would love to see the area in the games as well :3

If there is going to be a 'cold' region. I think Russia is a more likely candidate than Iceland, if not Sweden.

If there is going to be a 'cold' region. I think Russia is a more likely candidate than Iceland, if not Sweden.

Yeah, Iceland just isn't a very well known country, unless you're a waterfall fanatic. The main advantages are that it's a pretty small island (so a self-contained map) and there's an obvious source of inspiration for legends, landmarks and scenery.

Russia would be more likely, by virtue of being well-known and having an immediately identifiable culture. Only thing is, I kinda think 'politics' everytime I think of Russia now. Sweden would be a more 'neutral' alternative, as you say.

I'm not gonna lie, I'd love to see the next region be based off of Germany. :3 I think it'd be interesting to see, but I'm pretty much game for anything. Iceland would be beautiful, though.

I'm a sucker for European and Western locations. Obviously Greece would be a really neat location!

I'm game for any country that they decide to use next. As long as it doesn't cause major controversy, if you know what I mean. ;p

However, for the sake of creativity and something surprising, I think that Game Freak should start creating their next new regions from scratch. They could still have ideas from real-world locations, but at the same time make the regions their own unique-ness instead of copy-pasting a real-world country.

I agree on the point that I would like to see a region in anywhere besides Japan. In fact, China or South Korea are even places I would want to see it based on! I also like the New Zealand example listed above because I like their endemic birds, so that's a group you can base new Pokemon on. For example, they can use the pukeko and takahe.

There is one other thing I would like to see when we base a region on another country: new Pokemon must be free from Japanese influences. Even though Generation 5 and 6 are based in other countries, we still have new Pokemon with Japanese influences (Gurdurr, Kami trio, Pangoro). I would like to see the creators go all out with the foreignness concept. I don't know if any of Yokai Watch 3's Yokai have Japanese influences (I think they don't), but it could at least be something like how the Japanese think of what other countries are like.

Thanks for reading.

Next region should be South/Central America. With the amazonas river, the Orinoco falls, the tribal villages, the Pyramids and the "El Dorado" city of goold.

For future regions, the south- eastern region of Europe (greek and thracian lands), the Scandinavian lands and Africa (maybe south Africa) are good options. China as well.

I'd like a region based off an archipelago, like Seychelles or the Carribean. With a transportation system, so people don't complain about all the water. If Australia became a region, I'd hope for them to make a physical Dreamtime dimension, à la the Distortion World.

Greece is a hotbed of mythology, I think it'd make a pretty good setting. The Amazon has some of the highest species diversity in the world and the Rainforest would be excellent as well. Australia seemed like a good idea, but its diversity isn't very high.

Illinois! With a bit of Iowa for National Dex areas.

Search for Pokemon in fields of corn?

I still like the idea of either Greece or China. Because mythology, and the landscape.

I'd like a region based off an archipelago, like Seychelles or the Carribean. With a transportation system, so people don't complain about all the water. If Australia became a region, I'd hope for them to make a physical Dreamtime dimension, à la the Distortion World.

Aren't the Sevii Isands basically that?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom