• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Generation was the biggest disappointment?

Which Generation was the biggest disappointment?

• Generation I

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Generation II

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Generation III

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Generation IV

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Generation V

Votes: 16 11.8%

• Total voters

Princess Viola

Join the Robotech Defense Force today!
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. They/Them
Least favorite Generation?

This has probably been posted before.

My least favorite Generation III. I don't really like the way the sprites look. Seriously. Hoothoot is colored like shit.

Re: Least favorite Generation?

I personely don't hate any gen (they all have their benefits) but my least fav was gen 3 for (even to me) unknown reasons.

I don't like Gen IV too much either. The Pokemon have terrible designs aside from a few good ones.

I guess I'd have to say Gen3, it was really when I became disinterested in pokemon and I didn't get any Gen3 games until it was nearly over anyways... Hoenn just never 'clicked' with me.

Gen III, Hoenn had WAY too much surfing. Once I got to that part it would take me days to get by it because it was too boring to do in one sitting.

Gen IV, that's where it started to get boring. Buizel and Floatzel were the best things to come out of it. Other than that. . .
"Um. . . how bout a beaver?"
"Sweet, we'll call it Bidoof. But what'll it evolve into?"
"A more retarded beaver!"

Gen 1. While it was my first foray into the series, many of the pokemon I was, and still am, largely indifferent too, or found boring. I had a really difficult time filling my team with anything I actually cared enough about to use for an extensive period of time.
The region of Kanto isn't all too thrilling either. While I enjoyed it at the time, once exposed to the history and unique locales that Johto and beyond provide, it just comes across as exceedingly bland.

Generation II. Although I still have my Crystal version and I play it from time to time, GSC was the generation with the region I dislike the most (Johto) and I don't think the real-time clock and widespread time-related events were as useful, good or fun as a lot of people believe so. I guess the problem was that I skipped the games when they were first released (in fact, I distanced myself from the franchise 3 years) and only bought Crystal until I already had Sapphire.

Last edited:

Prepare to be flamed by a bunch of batshit Gen II fanboys.

I don't care. As my favorite generation is the third one (good Pokémon, best music, good story, best region and the best HM, Dive) I became accustomed to the hate, insults and clashing attitudes from people who love GSC or even their remakes. I firmly stand for my idiosyncrasy.

I like them all, but as for my least favorite, it would be generation III.

Generation I started it all, was the most original, had the highest ratio of good to bad Pokémon, and has a ton of nostalgia attached to it.
Generation II was absolutely massive, and built a lot on generation I.
Generation III cut out a lot of the Pokémon and added probably the worst set of Pokémon, including too many legendaries. Hoenn had too much water (though it had the coolest cities of any generation), and I don't like how they went away from half-believable enemies like Team Rocket to enemies with goals based on "magic" and such.
Generation IV was just so incredibly thorough and polished, plus it introduced some great Pokémon and finally made playing other people less of a big affair.

So, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald were good. Everything else was just better.

Generation III
Why?
- It has no night and day system, a big set-back from II in my opinion.
- Because of this, the clock serves pretty much no purpose (other than making sure time actually passes for berries and stuff)
- Planting berries is a BORE. I don't need 10 freaking messages telling me how the berry is doing and what I want to do with it thank you!
- This is where IMO Pokèmon started to look weird, I'm having problems picking my starter sometimes since I don't really like either of them.
- Nosepass. Yes it counts as a reason alone.
- It was the first generation with version-exclusive LEGENDARIES.
- It was the first generation that wasn't backwards compatible.

Me and my brother both got Sapphire and Ruby in hopes to actually complete the Pokedex by trading between them, however we never got that far because we both lost interest pretty soon. It's the only game where I haven't at least gotten the final legendary (Rayquaza... well I'm not sure if I ever got all three beasts in Gold but at least there was a reason for that) because I never bothered playing much past the Pokèmon League... so I sold my Sapphire and didn't play Pokèmon again before HGSS was confirmed.

Many of these things were passed on to Generation IV unfortunately (Propobass???) but it still managed to get me to regain interest in the series thanks to certain edits:
- The night/day system is back.
- Again, like Generation II, the clock (which doesn't even need to be set thanks to the DS' internal clock) and days of the week serve a purpose, even DATES (your birthday and certain days with diamond snow).
- Planting berries is as boring as it was back then...but at least its faster to water them now.
- Pokèmon are still weird.. But I liked Chimchar and Piplup.
- Propobass is uglier and more ridiculous than Nosepass... no improvement there.
- It still has version-exclusive legendaries... and more events than ever. Minus-points for that.
- It does in fact have backwards-compatibility with Generation III, its only one-way but still.
- Bonus for GTS. I love the GTS:3 (No one plays Pokèmon around here that I know other than little kids I don't want to hang with.)

Last edited:

Generation III.
Why?
-I was the start of it all.
-II was my favorite.
-IV improved a lot of stuff and introduced new stuff.
So it's not my least favourite because it's bad, just because it's (heh) my least favourite.

Gen I, it was slower and also less fun than Gen II, which was on the same system, but looked much better. Gen I also had a bag with no pockets, so i used to throw out items to pick up key items or waste TMs.

the first generation/Kanto is my least favorite... :/ people are saying Hoenn is boring? omfg look at that those puny routes in Kanto! they're horrible, not to mention horribly boring. x_x at least Hoenn routes were moderately long.

Sinnoh is second least favorite... the Pokemon were mostly boring compared to Hoenn's pretty and awesome ones. not to mention, Sinnoh super contests suck... the Hoenn contests just were much better.

Johto is third least favorite, because while the new Pokemon seemed awesome at the time, in retrospect most of them are really meh. I think most of the fondness for them is purely nostalgia. :/ even so, I still have a little nostalgia myself for them, which is pretty much the only reason it comes in 3rd least favorite.

I don't really have a lest favourite, I liked them all since they all had their own style, you know? I guess Gen IV is kind of stale to me now since I played through it twice already (quite thouroughly too).

Also, although this is slightly off-topic, I wholeheartedly agree with RudolphMilotic about Gen III and those are exactly the reasons why its my favourite as well. :)

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom