• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Gym Leader / Elite 4 Are You Most Excited To Battle Again?

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
I have to say Norman. He's the only father of a player character to be present in the entirety of the franchise, and not to mention he's the coolest.

I'm also looking forward to Juan, but if Wallace is GL #8 again, with Steven being Champion, then Juan is probably going to be a Contest Boss. If they even bother to put him in again...

I don't really care much for the Elite 4 (I do like Phoebe, because of "Hey Arnold!"), but I hope we get more Glacia backstory. I'd love for her to be from Kalos.

Sidney and drake for the elite four they stand out the most to me and sidney was a great start to the elite four for hoenn. Drake and his dragons they were a pain to take down back in emerald now in this game i can one shot him with fairies xD. and steven I've only fought him as the champion once in sapphire every other time he was just an extra boss.

Flannery and Brawly. Brawly always had such a cool personality, and he was a surfer dude, which amused me for some reason.

Flannery had a sprite I really liked, and her battle could be somewhat difficult.

I'm excited to face off against Steven, of course. I'm praying for a MegaMetagross and an awesome revamp of the champ theme. I'm also anticipating (dreading) Liza and Tate. Those psychic wondertwin nightmares were one of my tougher challenges in Emerald, and I kinda want another desperate fight like that again.

new roxanne looks hawt I'm excited to fight Flannery, because in my Emerald Nuzlocke I got crushed by her, so I'll see how she likes a Mega Swampert comin' her way as revenge. Now, Norman might be a problem, because I don't have my trusty Breloom, used in Emerald Playthrough and Nuzlocke, but I'll see if I can drop by Fallarbor Town with a Heart Scale, because apparently Hammer Arm can be learned by MR by Swampert before Level 69. Norman's Father's Day present: Mega fist to the face! 7th and 8th will be interesting, my Shiftry will get a lot of attention there.

I'm really curious to see what Game Freak's got in store for each of the Elite Four. Since they were introduced, things have changed quite drastically. Dusclops received an evolution, tons more Ghost/Ice types were introduced, and the Fairy type was introduced (nerfing two of the four's speciality). I don't expect Drake to have a massive overhaul in terms of his team but definitely thinking Sidney, Phoebe, and Glacia will have some serious changes. Sidney will probably get a Drapion or Bisharp to help with the new Fairy weakness, Phoebe needs almost an entirely new team, and Glacia needs some variety too. Both Phoebe and Glacia used a lot of multiples. I'm thinking Game Freak will get rid of one of Phoebe's Banette's and Dusclops'. I think Phoebe will be getting at least a Dusknoir. Dusknoir especially will be interesting because no Elite Four member has ever used it.

Wattson. That guy was always fun to be around. Plus, he'll actually be a legit challenge this time since I'm going with Treecko instead of Mudkip.

I'm really excited for Tate and Liza, mostly. They were absolute monsters when I first played Emerald and I'm really looking forward to seeing how I'll fare against them now. I'm a bit nervous about which team the Developers will choose to give them. With the Gym Rosters getting progressively easier, and the fact that this is a RS remake, I'm worried that they may have their RS team, which is a grand total of one Pokemon each. Even in a double battle that's incredibly sad for the 7th Gym. I'm hoping that if any Leader gets their Emerald roster, it'll be Tate and Liza. Otherwise, Norman, Flannery, Wattson, and either Juan or Wallace are the others I really and looking forward to fighting again.

As for the Elite Four, Pheobe, Sydney, and Drake. Again, back when I was still pretty bad, I had an atrocious time getting past those three (since I started with Blaziken, Glacia was a walk through the park). I hope they'll still be as challenging as before and I'm really looking forward to seeing how difficult or not it will be to beat them.

Definitely Wattson (who killed me in several Emerald Nuzlocke's, though in normal runs I always fared better against him), Norman (I always had trouble with his Slaking), and Tate & Liza (especially in Emerald they were absolute horrors, but I do hope they get their Emerald roster and not their RS roster)

I'm also looking forward to seeing Phoebe again, as she's my favourite Hoenn E4 member

Of course I'm excited to battle everybody, but I'm probably most excited for Roxanne tbh. She was the first GL I ever faced. I think I lost the first time 11 years ago iirc. XD So I'm looking forward to her. And definitely Champion Steven Stone. Really hoping they keep the original difficulty (or provide a hard mode from the beginning) for a good, tough, epic battle. HYPE!

If Juan comes back and we're able to battle him, then definitely him. I was personally never a fan of Wallace, and I always thought that Juan seemed to have a better personality. It would be great to see Game Freak expand on that some!

I'm also really excited to see Tate & Liza. Like others have said they were a force to be reckon with, and assuming they have a similar difficulty level in ORAS I will frustratingly happy. Seriously, their double battle (especially in Emerald) took any confidence I had in my in-game team at the time and just rofflestomped all over it.

Based on what we saw (or rather, didn't see) in RSE, I'm not too excited about E4 trainers--they were just to dry. I just really hope Game Freak give them a bigger role in ORAS, or at least just give them more back story, 'cause they seem so interesting. Please, Game Freak--please.

I just hope they make Tate and Liza 2 separate people. In the original, they're listed as "Leader Tate & Liza" when now, they could separate them and either say "Leaders Tate and Liza" or "Leader Tate and Leader Liza." Plus, if they're going with they're emerald team, they'd each get 2. Idk why, it's just something that has always bothered me.

Plus they're psychic, which is awesome, and a lot stronger than you'd expect with just 2 Pokemon.

Wattson, Norman and Drake all posed problems for me at one time or another in RSE. But the real problem was Steven, I was never able to beat him. I gave up trying in Ruby and in Emerald he was no longer Champ. I went to find him, lost again etc.

But I'm upset they seem to be nerfing the opponents in these remakes, decreased levels and missing Pokemon etc. I don't want to fight a dumb downed Steven either. I want to finally beat him fair and square once and for all, not have the thought in the back of my mind that he wasn't at his best.

That old coot named Drake! He gave me a Hell-of-a hard time when I was 11 years old. Now that there's new additions to the dragon type roster, including those that can counter their new weakness, he's likely to be more difficult to defeat than before.

Ugh... November is going to be the month of headaches and shame.

Tate and Liza definitely. I really hope they keep the Emerald rosters though. Otherwise they will be too easy, or just nowhere near as challenging as they could have been.

Winona is a close second. It's good that even her RS team is pretty decent and numerous, so as long as they don't tweak the entire thing to comply with the current 3 Pokémon for Gym Leaders bull, it should be a fun battle like before.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom