• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which names do you pronounce differently from the official way?

i pronounce Arceus as
Ar - Sseh - uhs
because that's how it was pronounced in our Dub Version of its movie

I pronounce Audino as "aw-DEE-no"
(Yes I realize that makes no sense, it sounds nothing like "I dunno")

^ The official is "aw-duh-no" because that's how they pronounced it in the last dub episode. I pronounce it as "Aw-dee-no" because that sounds closer to "audio" and I thought that's where the name came from.

And at first I though "pee-dove" was supposed to be pronounced "pi-dove" with a short I sound like in pigeon.

All of them... I don't usually know the proper pronunciation so I just make mine up until I hear it in the Anime and actually remember it.

Rayquaza: Ray-kwa-za
Arceus: Are-see-us
Reshiram: Resh-ii-ram

I mostly pronounce it exactly how it is written...

for I while I could not pronounce Sigilyph, as I was saying "sig-ill-liff" but it ought to be pronounced "sigch-ill-liff"

I also pronounce Audino as "Aw-dee-no" and have always pronounced Manectric as "May-ne-trick"; I just choose to disregard the first c in its name ^^;

^ The official is "aw-duh-no" because that's how they pronounced it in the last dub episode. I pronounce it as "Aw-dee-no" because that sounds closer to "audio" and I thought that's where the name came from.

And at first I though "pee-dove" was supposed to be pronounced "pi-dove" with a short I sound like in pigeon.

I also pronounce Audino as "Aw-dee-no" and have always pronounced Manectric as "May-ne-trick"; I just choose to disregard the first c in its name ^^;

Same here! Except I pronounce Manectric as MAN-nuh-trick. Yeah, I know, makes no sense...

Not sure if this fits here, but occasionally I pronounce Oreburgh as "orra-burg".

I pronounce Dratini "DrE-tini" instead of "DrA-tini"

I pronounce Raichu "Rai-chOU" instead of "Rai-chU"

I pronounce Delcatty "Del-I-catt-y" instead of "Del-catt-y", for some odd reason.

I too pronounce it as od-dee-no. I used to pronounce Mincinno as Me-cin-o, after realizing the true pronunciation was min-chee-no.

Teddiursa as "Teddi-ursula"
Raikou as "Ray-koo"
Rayquaza as "Ray-kwaza" not "Ray-kway-za"
Cresselia as "Cress-ah-lee-ah"
Arceus as "Ar-cee-us" not "Ar-kee-us"
I use to call Mesprit "Mes-sprit"
Swadloon as "Swaldoon"
Scolipede as "Scoliopede"

Last edited:
This is a bit weird...but I alternate between calling the Grass-type Striaton brother 'Cilan' (sih-lan) and 'Ðilan' (thih-lan), probably due to the frequency with which I have Spanish lessons (and if such a word had 'ci' in that order, I think it'd be pronounced 'thih').

I pronounce Arceus like the dub does. I assume they too think the name has connections to 'Arc' and 'Zeus' because thats the only reason why someone would pronounce it that way.

I always pronounced Rayquaza as ray-QUAR-zuh, and even after seeing it pronounced ray-QUAY-zuh in the seventh movie, I still use my original pronunciation. I also pronounce Roselia as rose-EEL-ee-uh, and Pigeot as pid-JEE-ott. I tend to say the region names different too; I pronounce Hoenn as ho-ENN, Sinnoh as sin-OH, and Unova as you-NO-vuh. I always seem to place my emphasis differently to in the dub, I even say PAT-rat instead of pat-RAT. Maybe it's because I live in the UK?

I still pronounce Raikou "rai-koo" because I'm so used to that being the way 4Kids pronounced it. Sometimes I say "rai-koh" but I'm more used to the former.

When I was younger I would pronounce the "sui" in Suicune the same way you'd pronounce it in suicide.

Also if TPCi changed the pronounciation of a pokemon I still pronounce it the way 4Kids would. Like "mis-dri-vus" instead of "mis-dree-vis" or "mah-choke" instead of "muh-choke"

If I don't know how to pronounce a pokemon then I just wait until I hear the dub's way xP

I'm exactly the same with Raikou and Misdreavus, and also used to pronounce Suicune that way!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom