• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Poeple hate Gen III because they can't transfer their Gen II pokemon I guess. It's my favorite out of all of them. The reason: deoxys. It's a f*cking space virus!

And with the option to purchase Repels, I don't understand why people keep bringing again and again and again and again the same complains. The Victory Road shares almost the same predicament in every installment and no one seem to be bothered by that. In my case, I always have a good supply of Repels because when I explore, I don't like the idea of being interrupted every 1 minute or so by wild Pokémon.

It's because the Victory Road is a short journey compared to the giant mass of ocean surrounding Hoenn. Think about it for a second. It may seem like pointless fan-whining to you, but it's really not. At least Victory Road has a huge variety of Pokemon, whereas the oceans of Hoenn consist of Wingull, Pelliper, Tentacool and Tentacruel. I just thought this would be a neat way to show off the new Hoenn water types, besides Wingull. I realize they did this with the diving aspect, but I'm sure Wailmer and Sharpedo would've fit fine in regular water. Also, the Victory Road is a necessary evil. It's the last hurdle of training before you reach the Elite Four. All I'm asking was that they give us more variety. I'm not at odds with the amount of water itself. I mean, at least surfing was fast, and not slow like in Diamond and Pearl. So as you can see, I'm not a cranky curmudgeon. Just a bit at odds with Tentacool and Wingull.

It's because the Victory Road is a short journey compared to the giant mass of ocean surrounding Hoenn. Think about it for a second. It may seem like pointless fan-whining to you, but it's really not. At least Victory Road has a huge variety of Pokemon, whereas the oceans of Hoenn consist of Wingull, Pelliper, Tentacool and Tentacruel.

Again, there's something called REPELS; going by your comment, apparently a lot of people merely detest having to buy them, despite how necessary and useful they are for a lot of situations, not just for the sea routes. That's the reason of why I'll never understand the hatred for the "abundance" of water of Hoenn, which isn't that big to begin with.

And yes, I still consider it pointless and boring fan-bitching.

It's impossible, believe it or not. And because it seems you won't be changing your flawed opinion about the unpractical, buggy and silly reasons of keeping Generation II and III "compatible", I'm leaving for good the discussion of that specific topic.
probably best you leave it because you're wrong as proven by me & by other posters - i know it would be difficult but even if buying an external device was the only way (maybe a "pokemon box" style gamecube disc) i know i'd pay £30 to get all my red/blue/yellow/gold/silver/crystal pokemon over to gen 3 onwards

@siburke939 I didn't mean to be offending/patronising in any way. Just letting you know. :)
i knew all the stuff you posted but i suppose you didn't know that i knew it & i now i know (lol no probs dude!)

moving on...

the excessive surfing was annoying & i know repels is an option but i personally dislike using repels (don't ask me why but i just begrudge paying not to battle) however it's something i can look past as once you get the fly HM you've earned the right to not surf too much - it's a valid argument for someone disliking the generation (as is any) but i think it's a petty reason myself

i will say emerald was a vast improvement over ruby/sapphire though (imo...)

Again, there's something called REPELS; going by your comment, apparently a lot of people merely detest having to buy them, despite how necessary and useful they are for a lot of situations, not just for the sea routes. That's the reason of why I'll never understand the hatred for the "abundance" of water of Hoenn, which isn't that big to begin with.

Well, the biggest problem I see with the water-routes is the fact that they're extremely similar to each other. With very few exceptions, all you get is Tentacool and Wingull. Is that amazing? Not by a long shot. Surfing through a lot of routes meeting the exactly same pokémon makes land routes way better, more abundance in the wild pokémon. Seeing just water and some rocks doesn't add to the "awesome-factor" either.

That said, I use repel a lot myself, in every game (heck, I'm carrying around 200 of them in Heartgold at the moment), though that is usually after I'm done with the main game and start really exploring the places I've ignored or skipped. When I'm playing the routes for the first time, I like to take a look around and look for pokémon. The oceans of Hoenn would have been waaaaay more awesome with some variation in pokémon, instead of having to use repels to keep those annoying jellyfish of your back. Every game is rather plagued with bad selection of wild pokémon at water-routes, but in Hoenn, this is taken to an entirely new level.

The main things about Ruby that bothered me (as a game in general, not just a Pokemon game):

1) The annoyance of having to level grind against the same trainers, over and over and over again. I must have battled the Breeders outside of Verdanturf five hundred times.

2) The extremely awkward difficulty spikes. The second gym was about twenty times harder than the first. Then the eighth was a cakewalk compared to most of the ones before. Your rival was ridiculously hard to fight on the route underneath cycling road, but then Wally was a complete wimp when you fought him in the next city.

3) A lot of the characters were very bland. At the time I played Ruby, I was also playing a Sims game for the GBA, and all of the characters had very colorful personalities. When I played Ruby, none of the characters stood out to me except: May (who was obnoxious), Steven (who was cool and helpful), Wattson (who was weird), Professor Birch (who was funny), Liza and Tate (who were really cool), and Drake (who was scary). The others were just sort of... there.

4) Finally: the sea routes. Oh god the sea routes. Ruby was the first Pokemon game I ever played and even then I thought the sea routes were hellascious. Because of that, I hate Surfing places in ever Pokemon game since.

Finally, as a Pokemon game: needs more things to do after the E4, and needs Day/Night.

Other than that, I freaking love Ruby and think it's one of the best games I ever played.

I like gen III! Just those damn water routes that are so annoying. At first, when I got surf, I was like "YAY I DON'T HAVE TO WALK ANYMOAR" and then I saw the Tentacools, and I just hated it ever since -_-'' but I LOVE the contests in R/S/E. It gave me some sort of nostalgia.

Red was the first game I played, and it'll always be my favourite. But for you to know:

Red > Emerald > Everything else combined

YELLOW SUCKED! I couldn't even get through the first gym. I don't even know where that game is anymore. Catching weak weedles and training them didn't help, they were bugs. There aren't any grass types! HOW CAN THERE NOT BE ANY GRASS TY- *ahem* I'm getting a bit off-topic.

So personally I loved The 3rd Gen.
It introduced 135 more Pokémon, most of them being awesome (Blaziken, Salamence, Gardevoir, Aggron, Flygon etc.). You could also say some of the Pokémon were rip-offs (who cares) , but remember every generation probably has done just that. The whole Feebas and Milotic being a counterpart to Magikarp and Gyarados , was actually quite different and were well received by some fans , and the fact that Milotic evolved via beauty and not training up. Metagross and Salamence, two Pokémon introduced, but they were pseudo legendaries (other regions usually have 1 pseudo legendaries). The gym leaders were actually carefully designed and I personally thought they were the best set of gym leaders created (some could say, well if you had an open-mid, that Fuuro in Ishhu is a combination Winona and Flannery) . There being a gym leader pair (never done before) , Tate & Liza. The Ice at the water gym, loved the idea of that. The sea routes. Some dreaded them and some well, urm, dreaded them. But after all there is something called repels. The Elite 4 were actually ok and the Champion (Steven) was probably the best in appearance, design-wise and team. The Post E4 story was very short, but you got to get the Regis, and Lati@s. They also had some pretty neat starters, Like Torchic->Combusken->Blaziken (fire-fighting and Blaze Kick, Sky Uppercut.etc). There was also a very fast frame rate. But was later halved in the Gen 4.
I Loved The 3rd Gen. :)

YELLOW SUCKED! I couldn't even get through the first gym. I don't even know where that game is anymore. Catching weak weedles and training them didn't help, they were bugs. There aren't any grass types! HOW CAN THERE NOT BE ANY GRASS TY- *ahem* I'm getting a bit off-topic.
Both Nidorans learn Double Kick very early in Yellow, that's the good news. Using the Fire starter in Red or Blue was the problem though, as neither Nidorans learned Double Kick until around level 40, and Metal Claw didn't exist for Charmander yet... x-x

As for R/S/E, boy do I have a grand history with the games. Unlike any other game from the generations prior to Ruby and Sapphire, I would actually play Ruby to completion before starting the save over again. When I was young all I did was pick a starter, go through the story, then catch all the legends, then start all over again. Each run I would choose a different starter, and each time I had different experiences with each.

If I didn't restart the game and had alot more stuff to do, I'd bet my original Ruby file would be clocked at around 1,000 hours or so. Ruby (And later Emerald) were the only Pokemon games that I played that long until Diamond came along a few years later.
Also when I was younger I tended to ignore problems seen in most games as I tended to focus on more enjoyable experiences, which R/S/E was definately something of the sort.

If only I could just focus on those days again like how I used to be, as I strive to focus more on individual runs than completely long-term goals (Though I DO plan on completing the National Dex in Platinum). Hopefully when I get a used GBA SP I can go back to doing runs through Hoenn again and reliving the days of awesomness that was the 3rd Generation....

And yes, I still consider it pointless and boring fan-bitching.

Except without the ability to properly gain lots of money until you beat the Elite 4, how do you expect to be able to afford enough of them? The answer? You cant.

My problem with the water routers wasn't that I didn't have Repels, it was just so unnecessary and boring, it almost seemed like an endless journey. They honestly could have toned it down or at least made swimming faster. And Diving was a pain as well.

The water routes aren't so bad, at least IMO. For people who really hate them, it's not like you have to use most of them more than once, anyway. After you cross each one, you scarcely have to use them again thanks to Fly. I never understood the big deal people make about Gen III's water.

Well, IRL, Oceans are yaknow, huge. However, in that regard, it should be noted that you're usually not going to find much near the surface of the water if you're not near the coast. Thus, the encounter rate on the surface should be much, much lower. But I digress.

Yeah but I think a video game shouldn't try to put me to sleep as I'm so close to finishing the story line.

At least Gen III gave us Taillow. I happen to like Swellow, he's my 2nd favorite gen III Pokemon behind Sceptile.

Pirates VS Ninjas. Thats the best gen ever!!!

How are Team Magma ninjas? They look nothing like the sort. I personally think they more like hoodlums. I don't see anything about their designs that are ninja-like. Of course, I could be missing something here.

this is definetly my favorite gen. I love everything about it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom