• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do the English writers of the Anime use titles based on other titles?

Truth be told, I believe the Japanese titles to be much weightier than the English counterparts; they don't feel quite so disposable--an impression that the English version elicits through allusion to hackneyed puns or sayings--and I consequently find each Japanese episode to feel more enduring and meaningful through the description. It's marginal, sure, but they're granted a greater sense of gravitas, from my perspective; they are bestowed with an impression of individuality that I feel is undermined by marrying an episode concept with a commonplace saying.

When it comes to Johto, mind, where several episodes earnestly felt disposable, the throwaway nature of the English titles did not bother me quite so much.

The targeted demographic is for small children. Translating the original episode titles would be way too over their heads.
Funny you should say that, since a lot of the puns have been based around obscure references, some that even go over my head.

That's the one problem I have with the titles: the people who make them are going to have a different background on which to base them. In that case, I think I prefer the straight forwardness of the original titles.

Most of the dub titles are eye-rollers, but when they come up with ones that parody some aspect of popular culture, I tend to enjoy them better (i.e. "I'm Just Waiting On a Friend", "It's Still Rocket Roll to Me", "The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing", "Twice Smitten, Once Shy", "Steamboat Willies", and probably my personal favorite, "Smells Like Team Spirit"). Maybe it's because I'm so accustomed to seeing shows like "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill" that do the same thing with their titles.

You know, puns as episode titles are fine once in a while, but they do it too often in almost every western cartoon and English dubs of kid's anime. In 4kids's case, they give it a lame episode title, but don't even bother to put it on the show itself. Pokémon was an exception to both until about episode 40, and after that only to the latter.

I like the Japanese titles better for some (not all) episodes of the show. I do wish they'd alter them just a bit. "Chimchar's Tears" is fine, but "Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament! Ambipom does Her Best!!", to me, could've left off the last half and been better for it. And it sounds a lot better than "To Thine Own Pokémon Be True!", which explains nothing.

SomeMany of the puns are based on things that the target demographic wouldn't have heard of.

Actually, some Japanese titles are puns or references too. The first movie was called "Mewtwo no Gyakushu" IIRC which was a reference to the Mobile Suit Gundam movie "Char no Gyakushu." The English version made a Woolseyism outta this and made the English title "Mewtwo Strikes Back" which was a reference to the Star Wars movie "The Empire Strikes Back." And what really made this work is that Mobile Suit Gundam is considered as "Japan's Star Wars."

I think the English titles are kind of creative, especially as of late with the DP arc.

Actually, some Japanese titles are puns or references too. The first movie was called "Mewtwo no Gyakushu" IIRC which was a reference to the Mobile Suit Gundam movie "Char no Gyakushu." The English version made a Woolseyism outta this and made the English title "Mewtwo Strikes Back" which was a reference to the Star Wars movie "The Empire Strikes Back." And what really made this work is that Mobile Suit Gundam is considered as "Japan's Star Wars."

I think the English titles are kind of creative, especially as of late with the DP arc.

I guess that's true. But some of the AG and DP ones reuse puns ("Love, Totodile Style" and "Love, Petalburg Style" later on)

Perhaps it may also have something to do with the length of the Japanese titles when translated. But it's probably just because, at least partially, that it's something fairly common in the USA.

Puns are fun. Also, a lot of them use references that only the older audiences would get.

And Japanese titles often have spoilers "Burst Evolution! Infernape!!" anyone?

The targeted demographic is for small children. Translating the original episode titles would be way too over their heads.

How would the Japanese titles go over their heads? It's not like they're Ghost in the Shell. :p

They're catchier and more appealing than the horribly long and unimaginative Japanese titles.

Really? "Dealing With a Fierce Double Ditto Drama!" is catchier than "The Metamon Transformation Battle! Which One is the Real One Nyo!?" ?

Really? "Dealing With a Fierce Double Ditto Drama!" is catchier than "The Metamon Transformation Battle! Which One is the Real One Nyo!?" ?

Yes, it is... The Japanese title is kind of retarded. At least the first one goes with alliteration and makes it catchier. The JP one is all "Blah blah blah!!! Yadda yadda blah blah?!" Hell, even Japanese anime and manga make fun of these long and spoilerific titles.

I think it's hilarious that dub fans are free to call the Japanese version "retarded" without fear of being branded with the "elitist asshole" label.

Also, I wanted to remind people that it's not possible for anyone to have a "correct" opinion. Some people like the Japanese titles, and some like the dub titles. That doesn't make anybody right or wrong.

Last edited:
I think it's hilarious that dub fans are free to call the Japanese version "retarded" without fear of being branded with the "elitist asshole" label.

Also, I wanted to remind people that it's not possible for anyone to have a "correct" opinion. Some people like the Japanese titles, and some like the dub titles. That doesn't make anybody right or wrong.

Dub fans, sub fans, my ass. I couldn't care about whichever version is better as I watch both, so your attempt at a smart-ass remark on me was a miss. I just think those long and spoiler-filled titles are "retarded," yes. Some people would say that they're used to make people want to watch the episode to see how the events take place, but having an epiaode title that isn't spammed with exclamation marks or rhetorical questions adds the same if not more suspense to the episode.

Regardless of how terrible the dub-title puns may be, where's the logic in spoiling the contents of an episode?

I still don't get why that episode isn't just called 'Double Ditto Drama'. That 'Dealing with a fierce-' part comes off as completely superfluous.
Granted, the japanese version has way too much stuff going on too, but at least it didn't have a 'jokey' title to fudge up.

In any case, this sort of thing doesn't really bother me personally. If I want to bring up an episode, I'll just say 'the episode where (insert event/character here)' and ten to a penny, people will know what I'm on about.

I don't know. they give me a good laugh though. So freaking lame most of the time haha, and when you add that with Ash's voice ..yeah, you all know what it sounds like! x_x

Granted, the japanese version has way too much stuff going on too, but at least it didn't have a 'jokey' title to fudge up.

Wuh? That title is a reference to the ending theme they used at the time. That's jokey.

The English version made a Woolseyism outta this and made the English title "Mewtwo Strikes Back" which was a reference to the Star Wars movie "The Empire Strikes Back." And what really made this work is that Mobile Suit Gundam is considered as "Japan's Star Wars."

No, "Mewtwo Strikes Back" was the original English title for the movie used in Japan. The first four movies had these for some reason (Movie 2 was "Revelation Lugia", movie 3 was "Entei, Emperor of the Unknown Tower", and movie 4 was "Celebi, a Timeless Encounter"), though the dub ignored them and made up their own title for all the other movies.

NeoKING said:
Dub fans, sub fans, my ass. I couldn't care about whichever version is better as I watch both, so your attempt at a smart-ass remark on me was a miss.

I wasn't trying to make a "smart-ass" remark on you. I was simply pointing out the annoying double standard at play.

Then, I was reminding everyone to respect each other's opinions.

Actually, some Japanese titles are puns or references too. The first movie was called "Mewtwo no Gyakushu" IIRC which was a reference to the Mobile Suit Gundam movie "Char no Gyakushu."

It probably has more to do with the second Godzilla movie Gojira no Gyakushu, especially since both the Godzilla movies and the Pocket Monsters movies are distributed by Toho.

Life Alert said:
Regardless of how terrible the dub-title puns may be, where's the logic in spoiling the contents of an episode?

That only really happens in a few isolated cases. Most of the titles are simple descriptions that really don't spoil much of anything.

Of course, different people have different ideas of what a "spoiler" is. Take the title for DP 170, "Kikuno of the Four Heavenly Kings! Kabarudon vs. Dodaitoise!!" Is it a spoiler to learn that Kikuno's Kabarudo fights against Satoshi's Dodaitoise in this one? Depends on who you ask, I guess.

Adamant said:
The first four movies had these for some reason

A lot of Japanese companies do that to make it easier to shop their movies around to international markets. Sometimes these international titles are used, while other times, they aren't.

In any case, this sort of thing doesn't really bother me personally. If I want to bring up an episode, I'll just say 'the episode where (insert event/character here)' and ten to a penny, people will know what I'm on about.
You mean the episode with the things that the guys took over to the place that had those other things where all that stuff happened?

Man, that was a great episode.

Titles don't mean anything. And anyway, what would you prefer: The usual Japanese 'summary' titles, or puns? I'd prefer the japanese titles, thank you.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom