• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Writer's Workshop Rulebook (2011/02/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayi Rowling

*rules with cotton fist*
Reaction score
Current Head of the Writer's Workshop: @Gastly's Mama;
Current Moderators of the Writer's Workshop: @Legacy; @Aladar; @Drakon; @LightningTopaz; @Caitlin; @Misheard Whisper;

Rules

1. Stories can have sexual, excessively violent or other inappropriate content in the Writer's Workshop, but if they do, they must be properly labeled. This means attaching either 'MATURE' or 'TEEN' as a prefix to your fic. If you are in any doubt, use the older tag (but also, feel free to ask). A story that is not properly labeled may result in an inappropriate content infraction.

2. In a story that is properly labeled, readers may not complain about the presence of sexual content, excessive violence or other content. This sort of complaining may result in a flaming and baiting infraction.

3. You must post your full story on Bulbagarden. You cannot create a thread here to link to a story you've posted elsewhere. You can, however, post your story here and then link to a location you'd prefer to get your review in. Posting a link to a story instead of posting the story may result in an inappropriate content infraction, as it is advertisement.

4. You can only post your own stories in the Writer's Workshop. Posting other people's story is strictly forbidden, even if you give proper credits. Posting someone else's story with proper credit may result in a copyright violation infraction. Doing it without proper credit may result in an aggravated copyright violation infraction.

5. Writing stories based on or inspired by other people's work is not plagiarism. However, before using another person's characters or creations, you should obtain permission from them; and if they ask you not to, you shouldn't. Using another person's characters or creations after being asked not to may result in a copyright violation infraction.

6. If someone refuses to stop using your characters and creations after being asked not to, you should request moderators help about it, and provide evidence, instead of attacking them in their thread. Attacking someone over alleged use of your characters or creations may result in a flaming and baiting infraction.

7. The author of a fanfic may ask other members to respect the rules within the threads for their own fanfics, but not to the point of flaming or threatening other members. In all other situation this may result in a useless posting infraction.

8. All chapters of a fic must be posted in one thread. You can edit your thread title to mention the last chapter posted. Sequels, prequels, spinoffs, splinters, etc., count as separate fics. Posting the chapters of a single fic in multiple threads can result in a multiple posting infraction.

9. When creating a thread for a new fanfic, the first chapter of the new fanfic must be posted within one hour of creating the thread. Posting a thread for a fanfic then not posting the first chapter within one hour may result in a useless posting infraction.

10. The first chapter of a multi-chaptered fanfic or short story/poetry collections may only be left until as late as the second post and, even then, only to post an index linking to chapters or individual stories/poems. An index is not compulsory but is strongly advised as it makes longer fics much easier to navigate. Not posting the first chapter within the first two posts may result in a useless posting infraction.

11. When posting a multi-chapter fic, please wait at least three hours between each chapter, unless you have already completed the fic and are posting all of it in one go. Posting multiple chapters in a row except when posting the entire fic may result in a multiple posting infraction.

12. All the new and ongoing stories belong in the Writer's Workshop. The completed stories belong in the Fanfics Archive, and only moderators may move story threads there (request thread). Discussions and requests for help and the like belong in the Writer's Block. This doesn't apply to discussion about a specific story, which can be posted in the thread for that story once you've started posting the story. Posting in the wrong forum can result in a wrong/banned topic infraction.

13. You may use the tagging system (that is @UserName) to notify someone when you publish a new chapter of your fic but only if they have requested to be tagged. That is, you cannot assume that someone will want to see what you have posted even if you are friends with them. You can offer to tag users but they must accept this offer before you do so. Tagging someone without their prior permission may result in a pointless post warning/infraction.

14. Supplementary material, such as information on original Pokemon, regions, characters etc. should not be provided in your main thread in the Writer's Workshop. You should instead create a new thread specifically for this material in the subforum 'The Author's Atlas'. You may provide a link to Author's Atlas threads in your main thread in the Writer's Workshop. Adding supplementary material in a thread in the main Writer's Workshop may result in a wrong/banned topic infraction.

Do not hesitate to ask about the rules at any time you have a doubt about them, as ignorance of what a rule entails does not give you immunity to it at all (unfortunately)

Additional Notice

Writer's Workshop Twitter account can be found under @ Bulbawriters

We have plenty of followers and are always willing to help out our writers by promoting their fics so if you tweet us about your fic, we'd be happy to retweet it! We also post news about upcoming Awards seasons, results and that sort of thing.

Thanks for your support, dearest Workshop community :) Let's keep making this place awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Writer's Workshop New Rulebook (2011/02/17)

May I ask for clarification on Rule Number 7 please? Is this about minimodding? I'm not quite sure I understand.

Other than that, good job on updating the rules!

Yes, it is minimodding. It basically allows authors to ask other members to stop doing something that goes against these rules, and those that are forum-wide, in their own fanfic threads (but only there; a discussion thread in the Block doesn't give you the same privilege), and it should never pass from a little warning.

For example, let's think of one story with sexual content that is properly labeled as Rule 1 of the Workshop requires. Then, a "reviewer" stops by and says that the content is disgusting and that the story sucks. Here, the author can always report this issue with the Report button, or as this rule allows, tell the "reviewer" that the story is properly labeled and that what they're doing is flaming (Rule 2 of the Workshop). If there are other reviewers around and start attacking the "reviewer", the author also can tell them to stop to remind them to avoid an infractable behavior because of the "reviewer", which wouldn't be fair on the true reviewers but could still get very out of hand anyways (and we'd be very sorry, but we would have to warn/infract according to what was done).

We won't infract the author at all for this behavior, as long as they handle it with care. If they think they can't do it for any reason, there's always the Report button to call in the moderators.

I have a few questions...

Number 7, what if we see someone breaking the rules in another thread. Maybe a newcomer or someone who has not read the rules. Can we inform them of the rules? Or just report them?

Numer 8, does this apply to poems?

Number 10, I'm not sure I understand the justification for that... Also, I believe a guide might be helpful for it, since I myself didn't know how to do it until 2 years after being around multiple forums.

Number 11, by "one go" do you mean in one post?

Number 12, does that mean that threads like "What should I do next?" are to be included in the story itself? I'm sure I understand it... Just wanted to confirm it, since it was a little confusing to me...

And hurray for making The Writer's Workshop an awesome-r place!

Number 7, what if we see someone breaking the rules in another thread. Maybe a newcomer or someone who has not read the rules. Can we inform them of the rules? Or just report them?
I'd recommend you to report them. If you're concerned that they're newcomers who haven't read the rules, tell us so in the report, so we can give our own reply to them a spin toward teaching them the rules more than warning/infracting a behavior.

Numer 8, does this apply to poems?
Poems count as "short story collections," treated in Rule 10 in the same manner as multichaptered fanfics.

Number 10, I'm not sure I understand the justification for that... Also, I believe a guide might be helpful for it, since I myself didn't know how to do it until 2 years after being around multiple forums.
It's based on the much-discussed aesthetic of a fic's thread's first post issue, eliminating the rule requiring for both the index and the first chapter be merged in a single post (in cases of long stories, listing all their chapters, this constantly pushes down the first chapter in the post, at times making the clutter unappealing)

Also, guide for what exactly? :) (I don't quite understand what you said about that either... :sweatlol:)

Number 11, by "one go" do you mean in one post?
No, it means "non-stop until you finish"; you post and post and post until your whole story is in the Workshop, then you request a move to the Archive and/or wait for readers and reviewers.

Number 12, does that mean that threads like "What should I do next?" are to be included in the story itself? I'm sure I understand it... Just wanted to confirm it, since it was a little confusing to me...
"What should I do next?" counts as a request for help, so it can go on the Block. However, at your fic's thread, you could link to that Block thread to ask for help from your readers and reviewers specifically.

What I meant by guide was how to link to certain posts.

Like this.

Because some people might not know how to, and as I said before, I'm basing this on my own experience.

And thanks for clarifying those points to me.

I have just one question. On rule 4, say your best friend has written a story, and asks you to post it here because he/she dosen't have an account. Would that still count?

Because we can't confirm that your friend really did ask you to post it, it'd probably be best to ask them to make an account for themselves.

I have just one question. On rule 4, say your best friend has written a story, and asks you to post it here because he/she dosen't have an account. Would that still count?

Since proving that you were, indeed, given permission by your friend to post his/her story here is almost impossible, we'd still hold you responsible for posting content that isn't yours, so I'd recommend you not to risk yourself.

Also, not having an account basically amounts to no right to post at all, here and nearly absolutely everywhere. We'd hope that if your friend wants to post a story here, he/she could join us and become part of the community. Entry to this forum is only a registering form away after all, no payment or admin-approval required ;-)

EDIT: Hee hee, ninja'd!

For the Multiple Post ones, are we allowed to post another chapter after three hours if it is finished in that time? I post Kris vs Gold in parts as I write it in order for the reader to have an easier time understanding it. Is that allowed?

For the Multiple Post ones, are we allowed to post another chapter after three hours if it is finished in that time? I post Kris vs Gold in parts as I write it in order for the reader to have an easier time understanding it. Is that allowed?

I don't quite understand your "parts" concept; are you implying "parts" as in subsections of a chapter, or as chapters on their own right?

But yes, after three hours (approx.; we won't infract if you post after 2:55 hours), adding another chapter to your story if it's ongoing is allowed.

By "parts" I mean that they are sections/several pages of a story that I upload at a time in order for people to read my long stories in chunks. But Im very glad to hear about that :)

I don't know exactly how to post a link to a certain post, could you explain?

I don't know exactly how to post a link to a certain post, could you explain?

Of course. In the upper right hand corner of every post, like this one, there is a number. By right clicking on that number and copying the link, you have copied the location of the post in question. You can then edit into your first post so that clicking it will take you right to the chapter you want.

Example. Quote me if you need further clarification. The code will appear in the quote.

I leave for a few weeks, and everything becomes more authoritarian. Really, if an author is unable to be at a computer for a while and asks a friend to post their 'fic in his stead, why should they be punished for it? The author asked them to do it, and I even seem to recall two of the mods here doing this once as well.

Really, if an author is unable to be at a computer for a while and asks a friend to post their 'fic in his stead, why should they be punished for it?

Posting a chapter for a friend of yours is not posting the whole story under your name while claiming having permission from them. Don't mix both situations up, please.

In regards to rules 1-2, where should an author label any such content? In the topic title, or in the first post (before the actual fic begins), because for some, it might be hard to include all of those things.

I'm guessing it would be advisable, that if a fic contains one or more of said themes, they mark it with a certificate rating in the title (such as "15" or "18") and elaborate at the start of the first post?

In regards to rules 1-2, where should an author label any such content? In the topic title, or in the first post (before the actual fic begins), because for some, it might be hard to include all of those things.

I'm guessing it would be advisable, that if a fic contains one or more of said themes, they mark it with a certificate rating in the title (such as "15" or "18") and elaborate at the start of the first post?

The ratings, for the moment, are being planned as thread prefixes (like those the Real World got recently). The ratings will be "Everyone", "Teen" and "Mature", imitating videogames and generalizing content.

The content warning is a standard albeit optional section at the beginning of a fic, and usually precedes the disclaimer (not necessary in the Workshop). The content warning can be a short list or a small paragraph, and will count as the fic's "content label".

Can't post the whole thing here. It is like, almost 30K words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom